Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Immortal666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:14 pm 

I'm pretty sure it's the same in your part of the world but I've seen shirts from Slayer, Metallica and Iron Maiden sold at H&M stores.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:52 pm 

jimbies wrote:
John_Sunlight wrote:
I've seen a fair number of Pitchfork readers wearing Burzum t's. Now, they could be fans of Burzum by working backwards through post metal, but it seems like a stretch to me.

An equal amount of those "Purzum" shirts as well from the company Anchorsand

at risk of making myself sound like a humourless dickhead here, but..... is this meant to be funny?
am i meant to go "OH LOL ITS A CAT PURRR HAHA" or something? does this pass for a joke in some circles?
seriously, you'd have to be all of 12 years old to think this was a good gag.

maybe the worst part is the urge to try and rationalise my comments above with statements about how little i care about black metal - for the record, i couldn't give a shit about anything. but that is just a really shit joke. 0/10

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:11 am 

yeah it's a horribly shit tier joke

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

BURlAL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:46 pm 

jimbies wrote:
John_Sunlight wrote:
I've seen a fair number of Pitchfork readers wearing Burzum t's. Now, they could be fans of Burzum by working backwards through post metal, but it seems like a stretch to me.

An equal amount of those "Purzum" shirts as well from the company Anchorsand

Ha, that shirt is awesome. Id wear it and Im not even a Burzum fan, so i guess its doing its job.

Id say VENOM. Theres probably not a single metal show where at least 1 person is wearing a Venom shirt.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:55 am 

Oxenkiller wrote:
I've also seen bubblegum pop stars in AC/DC and Metallica shirts and at first thought, "Metallica...Cool!" but seriously... Would these people actually be able to name a Metallica song that ISN'T on "Load" or "Reload?"

My personal favorite: in a video by the Korean girl pop group 2NE1, 2 of the 4 members have the Misfits skull logo on their outfits.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:24 am 

The big names of first wave and second wave black metal bands have also became trendy among Instagram girls. For every Mgla, Carpathian Forest or Inquisition t-shirt you see, there are ten thousand pictures of girls in Mayhem, Burzum, Darkthrone and Bathory t-shirts. It's underground enough to attract the wannabe grim kids, but not too obscure for them to only get a few hundred likes (that would be horrible!)

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:15 pm 

i wear this because varg is dumb and deserves to be mocked

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:24 am 

Yeah, you're really sticking it to him.

gasmask_colostomy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:32 pm 

I don't know if this is really what we're talking about, but I've seen a very popular hoodie from Les Vetements (clothing company) that has the brand name written like a black metal band logo on the front and then a pentagram with "Total Fucking Darkness" written on the back. I've seen it a load of times in China, but I'm not sure if that would be high street fashion at home.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/177118197824998948/

Hircine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:10 am 

SkullFracturingNightmare wrote:
Yeah, you're really sticking it to him.

i mean gandalf the white supremacist is doing it himself here...

Spoiler: show

Wolfgong wrote:
By the way I am straight and male and get a kick outta tricking chicks to get into their pussy

leaving
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:51 pm 

gasmask_colostomy wrote:
I don't know if this is really what we're talking about, but I've seen a very popular hoodie from Les Vetements (clothing company) that has the brand name written like a black metal band logo on the front and then a pentagram with "Total Fucking Darkness" written on the back. I've seen it a load of times in China, but I'm not sure if that would be high street fashion at home.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/177118197824998948/

that Vetements hoodie directly rips that back print from a Midian era Cradle of Filth tshirt with Dani on it

Human Crouton
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:06 pm 

traxan wrote:
Oxenkiller wrote:
I've also seen bubblegum pop stars in AC/DC and Metallica shirts and at first thought, "Metallica...Cool!" but seriously... Would these people actually be able to name a Metallica song that ISN'T on "Load" or "Reload?"

My personal favorite: in a video by the Korean girl pop group 2NE1, 2 of the 4 members have the Misfits skull logo on their outfits.

No surprise there. The Danzig-era Misfits are one of the most heavily bootlegged bands in the history of rock music, that fucking skull is everywhere and 80% of the people buying paraphernalia featuring Misfits artwork probably have no idea that their new doodad is referencing a band.

Lythronax
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:35 pm 

The Misfits logo wasn't really even created by the Misfits though, it's just a picture of a character from the 1940s film serial The Crimson Ghost. Which most people wearing the bootleg shirts probably haven't seen, but still, one could have a defensible interest in this image without being a Misfits fan.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:17 pm 

The Crimson Ghost silhouette that adorns all Misfits merch, though, is copyrighted by the band. Similar to how a cartoonish silhouette of Andre the Giant is the copyrighted Obey logo.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Lythronax
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:34 am 

Ok, I stand corrected. I'd heard they simply lifted it outright from somewhere else.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:25 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
Similar to how a cartoonish silhouette of Andre the Giant is the copyrighted Obey logo.

Shit, that's supposed to be Andre? I totally never realized that, always thought it was just some random cartoon face someone drew.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2