2. To Hell or the Hangman
3. Where Lie the Gods
4. Exile Amongst the Ruins
5. Upon Our Spiritual Deathbed
6. Stolen Years
7. Sunken Lungs
8. Last Call

https://primordialofficial.bandcamp.com ... -the-ruins

Wow, this first track is horrendously boring.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:46 pm 

The intro and build-up is quite reminiscent of Sólstafir, and I think it sounds really cool. I wish there had been a bit more bite to the song, but the atmosphere was great.

Interesting that they put out a slow, moody one out first. I hope and expect the album to have something a little more energetic to balance this one out. Still, I thought that it was a very enjoyable song, which explores a side of Primordial that has been hinted at, but not elaborated to this extent.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:21 pm 

I love Primordial, I love this song and I love pre-ordering.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:37 pm 

Yeah, this is a cool song. Nemtheanga sounds very soulful, and the build up is great. And yeah, I’m sure this is probably one of the slower and more brooding tracks, I doubt every other track will be like this.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:53 pm 

Good song, but very low key. I feel like the last album was quite low key for them, too, I'd actually like them to break away from that a little. Bigger hooks. Alan could finally live his Dokken fantasies, haha.

PurpleDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:03 pm 

Definitely an odd choice for a single, but given its placement later in the album I think it'll probably work in the broader context. Probably a "breather" song between more aggressive tracks that sets up the final third.

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:17 pm 

Definitely looking forward to this one

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:33 am 

Primordial are one of those bands I always said I'd look at in depth but never did. Amazing music for the most part - this song has a nice atmospheric vibe and the drums are great as always but as Purple said it's weird to put it out as a single given how laid-back it is. Looking forward to the new album although I don't think I'll preorder it.

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:19 am 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:12 pm 

I love it. Primordial for me are best in their forlorn, moody numbers.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:49 am 

I loved the intro. Simply fantastic. The instrumentation on the rest of the song is also moody and in the vein of when I think Primordial generally excels. However, I am not fond of the vocals here. I certainly don't have perfect pitch but he seems to be off to often. And the vocal lines are unimpressive. In general it is unmemorable, but it does feel like an intro to something coming after so maybe it will work better as a part of the whole compared to stand alone.

Love the ABBA sounding guitars around the 2 minute mark!
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Russian_BladderStorm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:10 pm 

My only gripe is also with the vocals, but more specifically the way they are mixed. I'm not a sound nerd, but they seem to be very isolated sounding, and not integrated as they were on the last album, which was very well balanced.

All in all, Primordial always deliver something special, so I can't wait for more.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:09 pm 

This was great, and I really liked the track as I've been an avid Primordial fan since 1995, and this track did not disappoint me in it's delivery and tone. I also appreciate Primordial when they wallow in moody, grim and introspective atmosphere that Stolen Years offered, yet shot through with a head up and "face the wind", triumphant attitude.

Really looking forward to hearing how this song works in context with the whole album, and really keen to hearing the whole album. Instant pre-order.

My collection

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:47 pm 

Definitely give this album a listen when it releases...or before. The single wasn't that impressive to me though. Good singing, rather plain music.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:36 am 

A great song. Very moving but I'm looking forward to the grand tragedies, "To Hell Or The Hangman" and "Upon Our Spiritual Deathbed".

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:18 pm 

New song.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:01 pm 

Both of these songs are sounding good. "Stolen Years" is nice and atmospheric and "To Hell or the Hangman" is a big, searing epic - though still pretty moody too. Seems like this one will be quite contemplative and mellow unless some of the others are real heavy. The last one had its atmospheric moments but sounded a lot more aggressive overall.

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:28 pm 

Primordial doing a gallop riff just gave me an eargasm. Seriosly, I am buying this no questions asked.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:18 pm 

Not a huge fan of the drums in "To Hell or the Hangman", but the rest makes up for it. Such powerful vocal delivery over that awesome riff that fits the songs mood so perfectly well.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:43 am 

I'm finding it hard to be disappointed in Primordial! At first I thought, oh no, they're doing an Irish punk jam, but it wasn't long before I was engulfed. Both of these singles have been very distinct, so I'm guessing we'll have quite the varied album.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:02 pm 

Both of these singles sound killer. I've never liked this band (I can't remember why, exactly....vocals maybe), but I hadn't given them a listen in maybe 10 years before this new stuff just now. I'll definitely grab this when it drops and hope I can get into it.

YouWereMYGhost
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:12 pm 

I don't care if these dudes shit in a paper bag and shipped that out as an album; with a special digipak that contains a nugget of shit from each member of the band, I'd purchase it based solely on my love of this band! I usually, if talking about Black Metal, will throw these guys out there; mostly because they've been a huge influence on me and the way in which I view BM, but also because i'm Irish catholic and my girlfriend is as well so there's always a lot of talk of Irish shit and I cannot speak of the land of green highlands and cobblestone streets lined with pubs and not speak about the country's primary export: the incomparable Primordial. I really hope that this album will stand on it's own but I am also not afraid to say that I hope it measures up to 'The Gathering Wilderness' and 'To The Nameless Dead'-two of my favorite albums by any black metal band. Cheers to 2018 being a great year for heavy music!

Lissart
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:09 am 

Good new stuff, but they're going lighter and lighter with time. Not that it's bad metamorphosis, but I liked their earlier albums.

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:15 pm 

This leaked. It's not memorable for me on the first listen. Will give it a few more spins, but I feel it's a step down from Redemption or Nameless Dead.

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:34 pm 

Hmm, upon first listen this didn't really blow me away. Primordial's been one of my favourite bands for years, so I'll definitely spend more time with it, but I dunno, I can't see it reaching the heights of their best albums after repeated listens. So far my fave track is Where Lie the Gods - pretty epic Bathory type stuff there, but where are the bulletproof classics in the vein of Gallows Hymn, Bloodied Yet Unbowed, Empire Falls, etc.? Where Greater Men Have Fallen took a while to sink in with me. I still don't think it's as good as the three albums preceding it, but it's still great. So yeah, we'll see.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:58 am 

Nemtheanga was interviewed for the last Zero Tolerance issue, and he didn't sound at all excited about the new album. Apparently they had fights during the process. Nemtheanga spent most of the interview talking about his worldview and commentary on society.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:42 am 

I absolutely love To the Nameless Dead. I regard it as one of my favourite albums ever in regards to that style of music. Everything seemed to work on that one. I never managed to get into Redemption at the Puritan's Hand. To me it sounded plodding and never going anywhere. And, apart from the majestic and awesome title track, the following release [i]Where Greater Men Have Fallen[/i] didn't stay with me either.

When I heard the sample songs from this new album I wasn't all that impressed but having had the album playing in the background (just once so far) I have to say that I'm positively surprised. Can't say much in detail about it, I need several more listens before I can do that, but so far its the first album since To the Nameless Dead that I can see myself listening to again and again (though I can say it won't reach the heights of that album for sure).
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:51 am 

The box set with 5 10" vinyls and digipak CD looks interesting. Over 50€ here in Europe, though... But... A tough decision! After all, it's the music that matters. It also includes some extra material, but I've usually found it all useless (exect Primordial's wide leather wrist band, which is absolutely nice (in some older album's boxset)!

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:02 pm 

The 5x10" set seems like a fucking chore to listen through + the bonus songs I already have on "For One And All..." compilation. So I just ordered an ltd 2LP and the 2CD digibook or whatever that was like a good boy. Haven't received anything yet though.

DividerOfShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:05 am 

I listened the whole album through and yeah, it's not very memorable, but not awful either. It just sounds like Primordial.

And I'm still hoping for Katy Perry to do another Christian album.

My Last.fm

Terri23
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:29 am 

DividerOfShadows wrote:
I listened the whole album through and yeah, it's not very memorable, but not awful either. It just sounds like Primordial-lite.

Fixed

Riffs wrote:
It's been scientifically proven that appreciating Black Sabbath helps increase life expectancy, improves happiness, bumps your salary by 11 thousand dollars annually, helps fight cavities and increases penis size.

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:48 pm 

I have to say that this album is much slower and subdued than what I’ve come to expect from Primordial. Usually there are 2 or 3 more aggressive tracks on each album, but this album really lacks an aggressive sound. It’s not necessarily a bad thing, just a bit unexpected and has taken some listening to really digest. The vocals are great as always, but the one thing that really stands out for me is the production. It’s extremely heavy and powerful, without sounding too slick or clean. It feels like I’m listening to Primordial play live, and I really dig it. I wish more bands would adopt production like this since I feel it really adds to the aesthetic they’re going for.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:50 am 

This is really fantastic so far. Monumentally epic and searing - sound washes over you in waves. Really digging it.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:55 am 

I sort of agree with that, it does just gradually build and imposes itself upon the listener. I don't think it has any obvious high points like the last album but it definitely flows a lot better than either that or Redemption At The Puritan's Hand. Generally this seems a very consistent set of songs.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:04 am 

Yeah, the last album was sharp and heavy and had a lot of badass moments, but this one feels more well-thought-out and everything is flowing better as an album. Definitely looking forward to letting it grow on me even more. The momentum in these songs and the way they flow from beginning to end is seriously the stuff of a band that has nailed their sound.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:54 pm 

Received the vinyl and digipack today. Upon first listen, I have a feeling it's better than Where Greater Men Have Fallen, which had the hit songs but felt pretty disjointed as a whole.
This one, on the other hand, flows seamlessly and I love the more sombre, desperate tunes like Stolen Years and Last Call.
Also felt that the title track worked much better in the album context.

The production feels raw and pummeling, but the drums are a bit too front and center even for me, a drummer.

All in all, I was a little worried because of the mixed reviews (compared to the raving album of the month reviews the previous one had), which proves once again that there's no use setting yourself up for anything based on critics.

Upon Our Spiritual Deathbed is fucking awesome too.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:20 am 

Been having a lot of fun with the album recently. Given it a few listens and I think it's definitely up there as some of their best work. To Hell or the Hangman is catchy, Stolen Years is probably my favorite Primordial song at the moment and Upon Our Spiritual Deathbed is amazing. The only weak point for me was Sunken Lungs, which seems to lurch around awkwardly in 5/4 or something. Not sure what they were thinking with that one but I've enjoyed it more with every listen. I'm probably going to end up spinning it as much as To The Nameless Dead.

I didn't realize it when I ordered but I ended up getting the digipak version with the bonus disc. I enjoyed the material on there but it's nothing to write home about unless you're a fan. I got my money's worth from it.

Reply to topic