Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:08 pm 

Apex had some amazing songs, man. Awakening, Cleanse the Bloodlines, Call Me Immortal and the title track are all really awesome. Definitely not the greatest album ever, as some of the other songs on the album were a little faceless, but I wouldn't call Unleash the Archers awful.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:31 pm 

I can see people writing them off based on their earlier releases, but I would suggest those people give Apex a listen, because they have improved drastically over the course of their existence. I can't even listen to their first two albums, but Time Stands Still and Apex are a lot of fun.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:40 am 

i dont really feel like giving a band that was musical diarrhoea another shot, plenty of other things to check out in this world.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:51 am 

Apex was a surprise, yeah. Solid songs on there for sure.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:34 am 

No thoughts on the new Drudkh album yet? I sampled it, and it sounds better than the last one, but I just cannot stop listening to Aorlhac and Human Serpent, over and over...

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:19 pm 

The new Amplitusion album is some really cool, epic proggy death metal with great use of keyboards. Ataraxy also just released a pretty good doom/death album, the vocalist kinda reminds me of Martin Van Drunen.
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:35 pm 

I'm not really a power metal guy but Apex was a ton of fun, it was a pleasant surprise and nice break from the multitude of good death metal albums last year.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:13 pm 

Two really good ones I checked out: Usurpress - Interregnum and Huntsmen - American Scrap

I described the Usurpress to a friend as Enslaved if they played death doom and were better at prog. Seriously good shit, great songwriting.

American Scrap is a very interesting sludge/doom/post metal album that has an interesting rock edge to it. Cool stuff.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:26 pm 

Unleash the Archers are basically terrible, but Apex was their best album so far...insofar that it had exactly two good songs: "Awakening" and "Call Me Immortal."

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:31 pm 

Time for everyone to pack it in for 2018. The new Rocka Rollas annihilates everything else that has come out or will come out this year.

Speed metal majesty!

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:39 pm 

I am super impressed with this new The Crown record. Killer effort here.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:29 am 

Spiner202 wrote:
Time for everyone to pack it in for 2018. The new Rocka Rollas annihilates everything else that has come out or will come out this year.

Speed metal majesty!

This band broke up 2 years ago? Am I missing something?

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:45 am 

EpicSceptic wrote:
Spiner202 wrote:

Speed metal majesty!

This band broke up 2 years ago? Am I missing something?

Nope. They were always working on one more album. I think it comes our March 31.

To me, it's just more proof that they never should have broken. Probably the most criminally underrated modern band out there right now.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:05 am 

Oh hold on is Celtic Kings the final Rocka Rollas album that Ced's been posting about for eons on Facebook? Honest to god I thought that was just the name of his thirtieth band :lol:
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:37 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
Oh hold on is Celtic Kings the final Rocka Rollas album that Ced's been posting about for eons on Facebook? Honest to god I thought that was just the name of his thirtieth band :lol:

It is! And he went all out! This album absolutely smokes. It's just non-stop speed. The title track is one of the most epic songs ever.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:49 am 

Exlimitir - It Weighed Itself in Silver

It says technical death metal, but it's way more avant-garde sounding than that. Plenty of interesting riffs and ideas floating around. Super low vocals that weirdly work well with the music at hand.

You can download it legally for free from their Bandcamp.

https://exlimitir.bandcamp.com/album/it ... -in-silver

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Flowersofevil
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:05 am 

Laudanum-III (demo)
Very atmospheric raw sounding black metal. The name confused me at first, as I know of the Laudabum from Oakland, but this is a different one. Really solid demo though.

Saltas-Currents (demo)
Creeping slow death/doom. Been really into death/doom lately, especially Spectral Voice so definitely into this

Superstition-Surging Throng of Evils Might (demo)
Old school style death metal. Really good for a demo. Great Riffs. Nasty stuff.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:12 pm 

Alright, anyone who likes weird sounding black metal needs to check this out. Band is called Mahr and they released their album Antelux in February. I don't know how to describe it accurately; all I can think of is if Ruins of Beverast only played fast songs and made them sound more echoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIAdYSOa8Vw

Album is also free/name your price on Bandcamp. I sent a couple of bucks their way for support though.

https://mahr-pk.bandcamp.com/

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:09 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Alright, anyone who likes weird sounding black metal needs to check this out. Band is called Mahr and they released their album Antelux in February. I don't know how to describe it accurately; all I can think of is if Ruins of Beverast only played fast songs and made them sound more echoy.

Album is also free/name your price on Bandcamp. I sent a couple of bucks their way for support though.

I'm liking this! Thanks, mate. I would like to grab the cassette but the distro is down.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:29 pm 

Just found out about this band Coffin Torture who released their album Dismal Planet in February. Some seriously rank and dank sludge with raspy venom filled vocals. Monstrous filthy sound, but still catchy with a good stoner bounce going on.

https://coffintorture.bandcamp.com/releases

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:46 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Wilytank wrote:

I'm liking this! Thanks, mate. I would like to grab the cassette but the distro is down.

Now THIS is some truly dark music. What a stunning demo.

~Guest 329938
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:43 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 329938 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeyC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:41 am 

ambientsorrow wrote:
So how many times did you blink in an hour whilst facing the wall? Haha.

At least 8 blinks. ;)

Æthĕrĭa Conscĭentĭa - Tales From Hydhradh

Hard to totally describe this one. Think atmospheric black metal about space with shit-tons of saxophone. Very intriguing stuff.

https://aetheriaconscientia.bandcamp.com/

ZarathustraHead wrote:

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:09 am 

MikeyC wrote:

Hard to totally describe this one. Think atmospheric black metal about space with shit-tons of saxophone. Very intriguing stuff.

this is some funky shit right here :thumbsup:

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:06 pm 

The Crown - Cobra Speed Venom is among top three releases for me so far this year.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:21 pm 

Rivers of Nihil's new album Where Owls Know My Name is every bit as awesome as I had hoped!

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:25 pm 

Goatfangs wrote:
Rivers of Nihil's new album Where Owls Know My Name is every bit as awesome as I had hoped!

second that

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:53 pm 

The new Desert Storm, Sentinels, dropped today. I've listened to it all the way through twice now and man do I love it. These guys know how to craft catchy Stoner/Southern Metal. Each song is different from the last, but they all flow together and retain a certain catchiness.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:54 am 

joppek wrote:
MikeyC wrote:

this is some funky shit right here :thumbsup:

Glad you like it! I ordered one of the 100 CD's they have printed. Hopefully it gets to me nice and fast. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:15 am 

e_ddi_e wrote:
The Crown - Cobra Speed Venom is among top three releases for me so far this year.

Agreed. What a ferocious, monstrous album!

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:49 pm 

Now this sounds absolutely fucking awesome and evil. Has anyone heard this?

http://www.angrymetalguy.com/veiled-bla ... bs-review/

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:06 pm 

Somar wrote:
Goatfangs wrote:

second that

third that, what a beauty of an album, really all I want in my prog-tech-death, will get many, many spins!!!

PorcupineOfDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:11 pm 

Some cool albums so far this year, a few more I'm eagerly anticipating too.

Where Owls Know My Name really intrigued me when I heard the title track about a week before the album dropped, pleased to say the full album holds up very well. Never listened to the band before but perhaps I should check out some of their older stuff.

I also listened to Æthĕrĭa Conscĭentĭa, their name caught my attention when I saw they'd been added to the archives and I'd been listening to a few different space-themed bands, so I thought why the hell not. Turned out to be an excellent decision, very different to most of their contemporaries.

Haven't seen Cypecore mentioned in this thread so far but I'd been waiting very impatiently for The Alliance to drop and it's an absolutely fantastic listen.

Not strictly metal, but so far the album that's surprised me the most is Rolo Tomassi's Time Will Die and Love Will Bury It. Their old mathcore/avant-garde/whatever stuff was completely not my cup of tea, but on their last album they went a little darker and experimented a bit with more atmospheric stuff and I was curious to see if they'd take that style any further. That's what they do on TWDaLWBI (bit of a mouthful, admittedly), and they strike a pretty good balance between atmosphere and intensity. Particularly 'Rituals' and 'Balancing the Dark' are awesome.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:17 pm 

I'm really liking Where Owls Know My Name. How similar is this to their previous albums? I always assumed they were more of a deathcore band and never bothered with them. I may have to go back and check their other stuff out.

The new Cypecore is solid. I'd say it's on par with Identity. The thing I like about them is their unique position between industrial/groove/melodeath and they play it well, but I would just like to see more variation. Their music tends to get formulaic, but it's still enjoyable.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:02 am 

Altars of Grief - Iris

Some nice, moody black, death, goth doom going on here. My initial thoughts is that the singing gets a little bit in the way of the music. It lacks variation. But nevertheless, it's a worthwhile album.

https://youtu.be/GyPFVl759kM

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:22 am 

PorcupineOfDoom wrote:
Where Owls Know My Name really intrigued me when I heard the title track about a week before the album dropped, pleased to say the full album holds up very well. Never listened to the band before but perhaps I should check out some of their older stuff.

ObservationSlave wrote:
I'm really liking Where Owls Know My Name. How similar is this to their previous albums? I always assumed they were more of a deathcore band and never bothered with them. I may have to go back and check their other stuff out.

The album Monarchy is most similar to this album bit still a bit more techy then proggy but really great nonetheless, the releases before that are more tech, bit less mind blowing imo but overall solid material. Not much deathcore going on.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:39 am 

e_ddi_e wrote:
Altars of Grief - Iris

Some nice, moody black, death, goth doom going on here. My initial thoughts is that the singing gets a little bit in the way of the music. It lacks variation. But nevertheless, it's a worthwhile album.

https://youtu.be/GyPFVl759kM

I had no issue with the vocals at all. That was quite good! I'll check them out further tomorrow but I'm liking what I'm hearing already. :)

As for Rivers of Nihil, I have listened to the new album 3 times now and I think it's a real grower. I quite like the clean vocals and the smattering of saxophone that really breaks up the music they play. The riffs themselves are very interesting and they have technical proficiency to pull it all off without sounding forced or cliche. I haven't heard their past releases but based on this, I think I'll check them out.

As a side note, I really think Where Owls Know My Name feels like their breakthrough release. Much like From Mars to Sirius for Gojira, or Antithesis for Origin.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Dr_Fiemost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:56 am 

Losa - Mastrucatum EP
A folk black metal project with sardinian language lyrics from members of Progenie Terrestre Pura an Simulacro.

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:08 am 

MikeyC wrote:
As a side note, I really think Where Owls Know My Name feels like their breakthrough release. Much like From Mars to Sirius for Gojira, or Antithesis for Origin.

they really have a lot of media attention with this one but I also think that it is given due to Monarchy being such a strong record but not being noted too much but still remembered. They even went a lot further with this one which is a huge plus for most.

~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:36 am 

Molested Divinity - Desolated Realms Through Iniquity

Not outstanding but a solid debut album. Worth checking.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 33  Next