* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:17 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
wiegedood wasnt plucked from bandcamp

By "plucked" we mean they are no longer on a label that uses Bandcamp. Century Media is owned by Sony who don't work with Bandcamp, so you can't buy the new album there. Same thing that happened to Ghost Bath, Tribulation, Helion Prime, etc. It really sucks for the fans, especially since that's a platform that helped them get a ton of exposure in the first place.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 6:12 am 

Ok ... there are a LOT of albums that needs to be listened to at the moment, so I decided to put a quick list together this time. Hopefully you'll find something that you'll like.

Møl – Jord
Wonderful Blackgaze from Denmark in the veins of Ghost Bath and Deafheaven.

Commander - Fatalis (The Unbroken Circle)
If Exodus played death metal, this is perhaps what it would sound like. Ah well - it's pretty good even if there's nothing special here.

Wallachia - Monumental Heresy
Black pagan symphonic metal? Not sure. But it has some really good songs!

King Goat – Debt of Aeons
Upon my first listenings it falls a bit short compared to the last record. But it's surely more than worthwhile!

Age of Arcadia - Eleysis
Melodic death metal with thrash influences.

Sectioned - Annihilated
Math/Grindcore. Usually this is not my favorite genre, but this album floored me with it's intensity and songwriting.

W.A.I.L. - Wisdom Through Agony into Illumination and Lunacy vol. II
Wow. Only two songs - one is 26 minutes and the other is 36 minutes. Amazing doom/black/death.

ButcherBarve666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:40 am 

Nigredo - Flesh Torn - Spirit Pierced

Greek Black metal wizards Nigredo are sounding pretty promising on this new album!

https://nigredogr.bandcamp.com/

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:12 am 

I'm not really a black metal guy but the new Varathron is quite good, enjoying it a lot.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:55 pm 

Same with me on Varathron. Reminds me quite a bit of Macabre Omen, whose last album was one of my favorites of the decade. Big Rotting Christ influence too, as expected considering their Greek origins. Need to revisit it but first impressions were highly promising.

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:02 pm 

I slept on the new Ungfell for too long. It is definitely up to par with Tôtbringære, which was in my top 10 of 2017. All fans of decadent medieval black metal (think the weirdness of KPN mixed with the more speedy melodic sensibility of Sühnopfer) should definitely check it out!

https://ungfell.bandcamp.com/album/myth ... -pestilenz

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:15 pm 

I can't be the only one stoked on this

jjohn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:56 am 

Dooders wrote:
I can't be the only one stoked on this

I was just coming to post this...

Just wished it had one of those huge tracks he puts every time but its a great album still....

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:40 am 

Nothing slays as hard as the new Lik - Carnage.

If you ever liked Old School Swedish Death Metal this album is lika a wet dream. Think of it like the best album Dismember ever released. Except it isn't from Dismember but from Lik. As how far "Sunlight sounding death metal" is relevant in 2018 is another question.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 8:07 am 

praey wrote:
Same with me on Varathron. Reminds me quite a bit of Macabre Omen, whose last album was one of my favorites of the decade. Big Rotting Christ influence too, as expected considering their Greek origins. Need to revisit it but first impressions were highly promising.

this is a wrong way of looking at Varathron, Varathron developed their sound right at the same time as Rotting Christ and have a bit more trad metal influences opposed to Rotting Christs having more post-punk in their sound.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:03 am 

orgasmic nightmares on that new varathron album starts off with a melody that reminds me a lot of some track from obtained enslavement's soulblight album

great album anyway, as is the new aura noir, and i'm liking what's available on nigredo's bandcamp off that album a couple of posts ago - weird how they've got 5/8 tracks streaming there

~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 11:32 am 

Theotoxin - Consilivm

I'm impressed, their 1st album was good, the new one is even better, nice blend of black and death metal although this one sounds a lot more death metal oriented than the previous one (in a good way)

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:21 pm 

I like most of what everyone mentioned on this page, still have a lot to get through. Still trying to decide if I want to buy a lot of this stuff like Verheerer, Varathron, Nigredo, WAIL and Ungfell. Verheerer and Nigredo are probably closest to my usual preferred style, but from what I've heard of the others they might be exceptions. Aura Noir are probably the best in the business at what they do, I always think their albums are great, I just don't listen to them much.

e_ddi_e wrote:

If you ever liked Old School Swedish Death Metal this album is lika a wet dream. Think of it like the best album Dismember ever released. Except it isn't from Dismember but from Lik. As how far "Sunlight sounding death metal" is relevant in 2018 is another question.
I keep wanting to get back into some kind of DM, but I always get bored of it too fast, this sounds like the kind of thing I might be looking for.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:02 pm 

This LIK album is great! Much better than the most recent Bloodbath, and I like the slight melodicism. Thanks for the rec.

PorcupineOfDoom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:38 pm 

New Fear of Domination album was released today. The first single came out way back in January so I've been waiting about three and a half months for it to finally drop. Their new vocalist makes a pretty good addition, and as a whole the album is pretty strong bar a few duds. The one downside is that it's much more mellow than their earlier albums, even Atlas.

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:30 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
praey wrote:

this is a wrong way of looking at Varathron, Varathron developed their sound right at the same time as Rotting Christ and have a bit more trad metal influences opposed to Rotting Christs having more post-punk in their sound.

I just meant more in their sense of melody, I don't think they're a Rotting Christ clone by any means. Maybe "big influence" was overstating it a bit. You can tell they come from the same stomping grounds, I guess.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:18 pm 

e_ddi_e wrote:

If you ever liked Old School Swedish Death Metal this album is lika a wet dream. Think of it like the best album Dismember ever released. Except it isn't from Dismember but from Lik.

You really got my hopes up there.

Not an AOTY contender, but I am fond of that Lucifer's Hammer-Time is Death. The Iron Maiden-worship is strong at points, but it is an enjoyable album.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:20 pm 

Just ordered that Lik CD from Amazon...all the excitement has me interested. Truth be told, it's been awhile since any Swedeath has really "wow'd" me, a lot of the stuff just sounds really by the numbers and lame - I'm hoping it will be the nice kick in the ass that the genre needs, in my opinion.

Still can't put down that new Skeletal Remains, unfortunately now the CD is starting to skip :(. I usually take great care of my stuff, it could just be a sign that I've played it too many times...oh well, good thing I got the LP too because there's more where that came from!

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 9:39 pm 

The Lik album is fine, but the new Ripped to Shreds album is better.

KC
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:43 am 

Depravity (Australia) - Evil Upheaval (Transcending Obscurity Records)

Think of Suffocation covering Morbid Angel - it's extremely powerful as well as intense.

https://depravityaustralia.bandcamp.com/

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:42 am 

The Slugdge album, Esoteric Malacology totally kicks ass. Pretty original music IMO.

jjohn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:17 am 

I've mentioned My Kundalini before and their record certainly deserves to be in this topic as well.

Art Of Dying is a superb album, it's quirky, it has rockabily, its drenched in psychedelia but most importantly it is a fun album. You just can't not sing along...

If you like Hail Spirit noir, I think you'll like this one as well! I just don't see how it won't end up in my top 2018 list.

~~~~
And something that only borders with metal.

Raw In Sect is a Greek band, that I had not heard about since yesterday. They started as a thrash/death metal but Kitro released just yesterday is nothing of the sort. It fuses rock/metal with more Greek sounds and they do a fantastic job out of it. Perhaps it's one of those albums you need to be a Greek person to fully appreciate, but even so the songs are good.

Personally it has outshone both Ihsahn's and Thy Catafalque's album(which as I said few posts above is good) which were released yesterday as well and I can't help but coming back to it.

(perhaps the most "metal" song)

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 1:57 pm 

Oh boy. I didn't listen to the album in question all that much, but I've been surprised to say the least. The band is Po' Metra Crijeva (Half a Meter of Guts) and they released their first full length album in January. I haven't been paying much attention to the local metal scene in Croatia so that could explain my surprise. Anyway, don't expect their genre tag here to make sense if you start listening to the album. There are some thrash and death metal elements, but there's a whole lot more. From nonspecific metal riffs to energetic punk and what seems like local (Istrian) bagpipes (synthesized or not I've no clue), and all coated in a carnivalesque atmosphere which reminded me of Kultur Shock at times. There is an obvious emphasis on humor, as I said it feels carnival-like, but I'm not sure if people from other countries will be able to appreciate it.

This is weird and pretty unique.

Draehl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 3:33 pm 

I'm rather enjoying the new Bong record. It's super droney so I can't say there's anything special about it (it's not quite at the level of their Mana-Yood-Sushai), but it's very enjoyable if you just want to zone out to something that's still relatively heavy.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:43 pm 

Draehl wrote:
I'm rather enjoying the new Bong record. It's super droney so I can't say there's anything special about it (it's not quite at the level of their Mana-Yood-Sushai), but it's very enjoyable if you just want to zone out to something that's still relatively heavy.

Somewhat off topic, but can you recommend any Bong albums that have liberal use of sitar?

Draehl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:57 pm 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Draehl wrote:

Somewhat off topic, but can you recommend any Bong albums that have liberal use of sitar?

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:00 pm 

Draehl wrote:
DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:

Thanks, I'll listen to it later.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:09 am 

Red_Death wrote:
Oh boy. I didn't listen to the album in question all that much, but I've been surprised to say the least. The band is Po' Metra Crijeva (Half a Meter of Guts) and they released their first full length album in January. I haven't been paying much attention to the local metal scene in Croatia so that could explain my surprise. Anyway, don't expect their genre tag here to make sense if you start listening to the album. There are some thrash and death metal elements, but there's a whole lot more. From nonspecific metal riffs to energetic punk and what seems like local (Istrian) bagpipes (synthesized or not I've no clue), and all coated in a carnivalesque atmosphere which reminded me of Kultur Shock at times. There is an obvious emphasis on humor, as I said it feels carnival-like, but I'm not sure if people from other countries will be able to appreciate it.

This is weird and pretty unique.

Interesting stuff here.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Cabecao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 11:01 pm 

Nigredo and Wolvhammer are fantastic. Hard to put down. Depravity slays. The Crown is great. New Rivers of Nihil is awesome as is Augury

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:01 am 

That Lik album is getting a few spins. Like how they rip off later era Dismember (the 2nd track is spot on) rather than just the early sound like all the other Swedeath bands these days.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:49 pm 

so without the (hilarious) videos to distract me i can actually hear that the new iron angel album is good. Its old school in a way that we dont really see anymore.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:15 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
so without the (hilarious) videos to distract me i can actually hear that the new iron angel album is good. Its old school in a way that we dont really see anymore.

For real though. When watching the videos I wasn't impressed at all, but listening through the album I thought it was a ton of fun. Not sure I have ever come across another band like that where the videos make the songs actually sound worse.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:38 am 

Australia's Deadspace released a 3 track EP last month thats pretty darn good.
Never really heard another band mix post-black with gothic, not to mention harsh vocals that sound like a more metal version of AFI's Davey Havok to boot! :-P
https://deadspacecollective.bandcamp.co ... -scorpions
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/De ... 3540395373

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:32 am 

The Augury album is pretty fucking good :thumbsup:

CoF
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:09 am 

Damn, last year Akercocke's return album ended up as my AOTY, now the new Voices album “Frightened“ has massive potential to become my favorite for this year.

~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:53 am 

Asphagor - The Cleansing
https://asphagor.bandcamp.com/album/the-cleansing

What a great BM album this guys have here. Lot's of classic BM elements coupled with other influences that can range from hardcore to progressive metal. A very original and interesting approach that works really well.

Andreas_Hansen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:15 pm 

Acidgobblin wrote:
The Augury album is pretty fucking good :thumbsup:

True, a bit more experimental than I thought but I still liked it. It quite changes from the firsts albums. I think people should listen to it several times to really nail it.

Tunes of Steel - Reviews and writing stuff website. Latest: Paradox - Pangea
Metalhertz, French Youtube radio channel

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:51 pm 

https://qualeaceans.bandcamp.com/album/capture-of-ziz

Quote:
Metal In Opposition they call it; to me, it is polystylist metal, free metal, space metal — krautmetal. Whether from Germany or not, Qualeaceans play the most radical brand of metal, ever. The ensemble draw on every single form of extremity in music, hammering out their sonic tower as high as it gets, yet ichorous, like a figure in a Dali painting. Their insane musical outlet encircles noise music, free jazz, psychedelia, musique concrète, aleatory, texture, multitempo, improvisation, the use of numerous additional instruments (e.g. hammered dulcimer, violin, prepared guitar, recorder, tanbur, harmonica...), and manipulations of the tuning during a single piece.

all that cool stuff said, the vocals are kind of whack and/or weak

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:19 pm 

It's easy to say "cool" stuff though, especially in metal press releases, which have gotten so absurd over the last 10 years it's almost embarrassing. This is pretty boring if I'm being honest. Just because you throw 1000 styles into every song doesn't mean your result is going to be good.

Last edited by Pitiless Wanderer on Sat May 12, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:36 pm 

I like it

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 33  Next