Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:01 pm 

The new Apophys, Devoratis, is a solid Technical Death Metal release to begin the year with. There are many unique melodies to be deciphered and appreciated. Every song stands out on its own, and it doesn't fall into the trap a lot of TDM does, where its the same exact drumming and bassline but with different lyrics and leads. The production is heavy but still organic, which I think suits the music perfectly. It's the first release this year that has really stood out for me.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:37 pm 

I'm still waiting on something really striking to come out from 2018, but it hasn't really been very long yet. I also wanted to pile on the Abigor disappointment. It was like listening to the B-sides of Leytmotif Luzifer, like a collection of all of the riffs that weren't good enough for that album tacked together into some lackluster songs.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:22 pm 

MeltedFace wrote:
The new Apophys, Devoratis, is a solid Technical Death Metal release to begin the year with. There are many unique melodies to be deciphered and appreciated. Every song stands out on its own, and it doesn't fall into the trap a lot of TDM does, where its the same exact drumming and bassline but with different lyrics and leads. The production is heavy but still organic, which I think suits the music perfectly. It's the first release this year that has really stood out for me.

Damn man, thanks for sharing this. I have been trying to find some technical death metal that was not wanky by the numbers shit and this is exactly what I like from the style.
I wrote a really similar summary to Beneath's Ephemeris in last years worthwhile thread and highly recommend checking that album out if you have not already.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:38 am 

heard the new visigoth and tis considerably better than the debut
the new hooded menace seemed excellent based on 1 spin, potential AOTY candidate.

frostyj66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:27 pm 

MeltedFace wrote:
The new Apophys, Devoratis, is a solid Technical Death Metal release to begin the year with. There are many unique melodies to be deciphered and appreciated. Every song stands out on its own, and it doesn't fall into the trap a lot of TDM does, where its the same exact drumming and bassline but with different lyrics and leads. The production is heavy but still organic, which I think suits the music perfectly. It's the first release this year that has really stood out for me. ]

Yep another satisfied customer here, thanks for the rec! As someone who doesn't enjoy tech death this was very 'listenable'. 2018 is indeed off to a pretty solid start - let's hope it can maintain this momentum!

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:18 am 

Dooders wrote:
MeltedFace wrote:

Damn man, thanks for sharing this. I have been trying to find some technical death metal that was not wanky by the numbers shit and this is exactly what I like from the style.
I wrote a really similar summary to Beneath's Ephemeris in last years worthwhile thread and highly recommend checking that album out if you have not already.

Thanks, I'll definitely check that one out!

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:00 am 

Agrimonia, Awaken... This is the first album I've heard from 2018 that really hooked me. Listened to a couple good records this year, but this one is great. Lots of crust punk, even more post-metal and bits of melodic death/black. I've only given it one listen, but I can't wait to dive into it some more and see how it stacks up to their last album, the excellent Rites of Separation.

https://agrimoniasl.bandcamp.com/

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:48 am 

ThePoop wrote:
Agrimonia, Awaken... This is the first album I've heard from 2018 that really hooked me. Listened to a couple good records this year, but this one is great. Lots of crust punk, even more post-metal and bits of melodic death/black. I've only given it one listen, but I can't wait to dive into it some more and see how it stacks up to their last album, the excellent Rites of Separation.

Very good!

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:51 am 

Here's something for the OSDM folks.

Ectoplasma's Cavern of Foul Unbeings (what is it with "unbeing", is that a new DM word of the following couple of years or what):

It's a great slab of aggressive, pounding death metal, mostly inspired by the Floridian and Dutch styles. And for something a bit more cryptic and closer to Incantation-esque gloom, there's Archaic Tomb's excellent demo

The balance of elements here is just great as there's a good deal of attention to individual riffs and composition.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:10 pm 

In Vain's Currents was one of my most anticipated releases for the year, and so far it has not disappointed in the slightest. Anyone who liked Ænigma should check this out. Perhaps fewer extreme metal elements than their previous material, but they still nail the blend of progressive with black/death metal.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:31 pm 

Hamferð - Támsins likam is bloody awesome. I'd be very surprised if it doesn't end up on my top-5 this year... that would mean the rest of the year would have to be on par with... uhhh... 1986.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:53 pm 

Napero wrote:
Hamferð - Támsins likam is bloody awesome. I'd be very surprised if it doesn't end up on my top-5 this year... that would mean the rest of the year would have to be on par with... uhhh... 1986.

Wow, new Hamferð! :love:

I'll get into this one right away.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:03 am 

For heavy metal, I liked the new Loudness and the new Seasons of the Wolf.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:55 pm 

The Ocean of Grief album Nightfall's Lament is pretty solid. The production is great too, what a joy to listen to.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:40 am 

Monolithe – Nebula Septem

This is a french doom band and this is their 7th album and seven is a theme here.
"Also, there are seven songs, each one lasting seven minutes. The album was worked on by seven musicians. Each song begins with one of the first seven letters of the alphabet, and each song is in one of the seven notes of the western scale – from A to G, (apparently). A lot of thought has clearly gone into the construction of this album."

This is my kind of doom, no doubt.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:46 am 

Victorius' Dinosaur Warfare EP is the most ridiculous and absurd thing I've heard in a long time. And that's why it's amazing.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:25 am 

I'm really enjoying the new album by Mike Lepond's Silent Assassins. Solid prog/power metal especially recommended for people who feel that Symphony X has been declining in recent years.

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:46 am 

Okay, that song is seriously fun. Heavy, melodic, shred-happy, and I have always had a soft spot for Alan Tecchio's shriekeroo.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:36 pm 

95% of the thrash that comes out today sounds really lame and forgettable to me. I think a lot of it is due to the modern watered down production jobs (as in lack of dynamic range, so no edge). Almost all of these bands seem to have an Ed Repka rip-off cover art, and the typical generic song titles.

So it was very surprising to me that Chemicaust's album is some fairly vicious death/thrash. It's early, but this could very well be a strong contender for thrash album of the year.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:36 am 

ThePoop wrote:
https://agrimoniasl.bandcamp.com/

Been spinning this one quite a bit thanks your post. This thread is always my favorite every year!

Was surprised at how amazingly diverse this album is. While there is a level of ferocity and ferociousness throughout, the chord progressions and riffs are from so many different styles, even that of Alcest and Dark Tranquility. Little something for everyone here as well as plenty of rhythmical ideas too.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:21 am 

My favorite so far, or at least one of them, is the new Rapture (GR) Paroxysm of Hatred. Excellent death/thrash.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:36 pm 

Honestly do not get the hype with that Agrimonia album. Gave it a couple listens and it's just so... boring. The songs really aren't engaging at all, the songwriting lacks any sort of emotional heft and just kinda meander around. It's also way too long, by the time the final track comes on I'm actually shocked its still going. I'll probably try it out one more time before giving up on it forever.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:20 pm 

Nice rec with that Chemicaust album. Another good, riffy album from this year I just listened to is Funeral Winds - Sinister Creed.

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:02 pm 

I think it was mentioned once in here, but the new Wolftooth album is some solid stoner doom. They're not on the archives yet:

https://wolftooth.bandcamp.com/album/wolftooth

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:19 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
My favorite so far, or at least one of them, is the new Rapture (GR) Paroxysm of Hatred. Excellent death/thrash.

This is great German style death/thrash, thanks!

Panphage is definitely one of the best releases of the year so far.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:59 am 

PvtNinjer wrote:
Honestly do not get the hype with that Agrimonia album. Gave it a couple listens and it's just so... boring. The songs really aren't engaging at all, the songwriting lacks any sort of emotional heft and just kinda meander around. It's also way too long, by the time the final track comes on I'm actually shocked its still going. I'll probably try it out one more time before giving up on it forever.

It's a pretty standard affair for what this band has done in the past. Those that don't dig em tend to levy those very same criticisms. Meandering, bloated, boring etc... I can see how one would feel that way. I personally think their riffs are impressively varied and well-written. Each song has some emotional heft which I really enjoy, even if the songwriting can be slightly sub-par at moments.

yuricane
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:29 pm 

https://primalrite.bandcamp.com/

This rips.

brain hammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:43 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:

I agree 100%. That album is ferocious. This year is off to a pretty good start. Chemicaust, Druid Lord, Pestilence, and Rapture have all released killer albums.

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:21 am 

androdion wrote:
Napero wrote:

Wow, new Hamferð! :love:

I'll get into this one right away.

This album was a massive letdown for me. I thought it was musically fantastic, and even improved upon evst in a few ways. But that production was laughable. One of my favorite things about evst was that pulse pounding production. Now it sounds like Hamferd is playing out of a tin can. What a huge disappointment.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:51 am 

I'm not hearing it, sorry. It's quite obvious to me that they've made an intentional turn towards a more atmospheric sound and the production job comes in line with that. It isn't as massive as their previous works, as "fat" if you'd prefer the term, but the general atmosphere and the songwriting don't demand as much.

It's a great addition to the band's catalogue but it's definitely different than Evst, so don't go in expecting massive grooves like before.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:21 pm 

ThePoop wrote:
It's a pretty standard affair for what this band has done in the past. Those that don't dig em tend to levy those very same criticisms. Meandering, bloated, boring etc... I can see how one would feel that way. I personally think their riffs are impressively varied and well-written. Each song has some emotional heft which I really enjoy, even if the songwriting can be slightly sub-par at moments.

Fair enough. I feel like I could have liked it style-wise, but the songs just didn't connect.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:31 pm 

e_ddi_e wrote:
Monolithe – Nebula Septem

This is a french doom band and this is their 7th album and seven is a theme here.
"Also, there are seven songs, each one lasting seven minutes. The album was worked on by seven musicians. Each song begins with one of the first seven letters of the alphabet, and each song is in one of the seven notes of the western scale – from A to G, (apparently). A lot of thought has clearly gone into the construction of this album."

This is my kind of doom, no doubt.

I came in here specifically to post Monolithe. I'd actually fallen off and totally lost track of them after IV and had assumed they just weren't up to anything. Clearly they're still in love with their gimmicks (four albums with one nearly hour long track in a row, then two with three 15 minute tracks exactly, and now this with the 7s and key sig gimmicks) and they're really not funeral doom anymore from the sounds of it but man they never fell out of love with simply hammering you over the head with a million riffs. That's what drew me to them in the first place, and while the contrast with the crazy low tempo and overwhelming synth heaviness is sort of missed, this newer take on their style is almost exactly as good. Definitely one of the most underrated bands around and an easy penciled-in spot for my Top 13 already.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:52 pm 

New Decaying is out a couple of weeks. Yes, it's a Bolt Thrower worship, but it works. Really good album and a massive improvement over their last one.

https://decayingofficial.bandcamp.com/

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:05 am 

Apathy Noir – Black Soil

This is a solo project; death/doom with hints of black - band from Sweden.

October Tide, Katatonia, My Dying Bride and early Opeth comes to mind.

Also, BastardHead: Top 13? :D

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:16 pm 

Is that Testament remaster that just came out any good?

AuldAnxiety
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:42 pm 

This Spite record is rad. Check it out if you’re into Negative Plane and other bands that sound like shattered stained glass.

https://spitedesecration.bandcamp.com/a ... timoshiach

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:33 am 

Almost finished giving Rogaty - Diabeł a first listen and it's a really cool album! Cavernous death/black with a suffocating atmosphere reminding me of Evoken. The music varies from doomish tempos to highspeed warmetal blasting but always fits the music. The vocals are really cool and varied, ranging from half-clean vocals, to chanting, to growling similar to those of Lykathea Aflame, very deep and powerful, to earshattering screams.
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:08 am 

okay not that metal but the new Harm's Way album is an absolute gutwrenching banger.

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:43 am 

Z0MBIE wrote:
Almost finished giving Rogaty - Diabeł a first listen and it's a really cool album! Cavernous death/black with a suffocating atmosphere reminding me of Evoken. The music varies from doomish tempos to highspeed warmetal blasting but always fits the music. The vocals are really cool and varied, ranging from half-clean vocals, to chanting, to growling similar to those of Lykathea Aflame, very deep and powerful, to earshattering screams.

That's a good one, thanks for the recommendation. I'm not sure about how cavernous it is (heh), but it's indeed dark as fuck and the vocals are pretty impressive. Also, that cheapish, clangy production really works. The Polish extreme metal scene can't seem to do much wrong these days.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:54 am 

TheWaltzer wrote:
Z0MBIE wrote:

That's a good one, thanks for the recommendation. I'm not sure about how cavernous it is (heh), but it's indeed dark as fuck and the vocals are pretty impressive. Also, that cheapish, clangy production really works. The Polish extreme metal scene can't seem to do much wrong these days.

this stuff is pretty damn far from what i'd call cavernous, be it death or black - i also wouldn't call the atmosphere suffocating, tho' the guitars do get quite low; it sounds rather airy to me (in a good way)

"cheapish and clangy" is a very good description for the production (especially the cymbals), and tho' that might sound like a criticism, it does work very well to give some extra character to an already wonderfully fun album :)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33  Next