Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:58 pm 

I'm failing to understand the hype around the new Nocturnal Graves. Sounds very formulaic to these ears.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:03 am 

Satan does it again, y'all. "Cruel Magic" lives up to their recent classics, and is undoubtedly one of the big albums to beat this year.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:21 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Satan does it again, y'all. "Cruel Magic" lives up to their recent classics, and is undoubtedly one of the big albums to beat this year.

This. A thousand times this. Really amazing album. The riffs, melodies, the performance, the fire. Everything one could want in a classic metal album. Now to see if they release the blood thing in non-digipack form.

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:42 am 

Rodman wrote:
I'm failing to understand the hype around the new Nocturnal Graves. Sounds very formulaic to these ears.

This is how I feel about Tomb Mold.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:57 pm 

Apparently Death SS released an album today. Alrighty then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJxiUflVwTk

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:33 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Apparently Death SS released an album today. Alrighty then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJxiUflVwTk

Not really that good but weirdly compelling.

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:20 pm 

absolutely brutal sludge that is disgustingly pleasurable to the ears with its relentless noise sea https://gileadmedia.bandcamp.com/album/contempt

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:13 am 

Probably won't appeal to the majority of readers in this thread, but Harrow, who happen to hail from my hometown, have released an absolutely fantastic little EP which combines their usual cascadian black metal stylings with a truly remarkable offering of neofolk (see the final track especially). Ian Campbell has started to explore this path as of late with his side project Crooked Mouth, and the influence has done a great service to Harrow, who have always been a favourite of mine irrespective of our shared origins.

Check the EP "A Fire In The Mountains" out here: https://harrowblackmetal.bandcamp.com/a ... -mountains

Last edited by pfk505 on Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:30 am 

e_ddi_e wrote:
Glad you liked it!
Even the band name is great, it's Swedish for "Fairy tales that leads toward the end".

Oh that's really cool! I can only speak English so I couldn't make it out, haha, but that's a pretty clever name. I liked what I heard and have ordered a physical copy of the album. Hopefully it gets to me quick.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:31 am 

Nice! I’m actually going to see them live in a week or so. Should be interesting.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:54 pm 

I'm checking out Archemoron, who were mentioned earlier in this thread. This is a dang good find. Another album I'm surprised to see next to no discussion of on the Internet.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:31 pm 

pfk505 wrote:
Probably won't appeal to the majority of readers in this thread, but Harrow, who happen to hail from my hometown, have released an absolutely fantastic little EP which combines their usual cascadian black metal stylings with a truly remarkable offering of neofolk (see the final track especially). Ian Campbell has started to explore this path as of late with his side project Crooked Mouth, and the influence has done a great service to Harrow, who have always been a favourite of mine irrespective of our shared origins.

Check the EP "A Fire In The Mountains" out here: https://harrowblackmetal.bandcamp.com/a ... -mountains

I've been following this band for a little while, actually. This is certainly another good entry into their discography.

booK_of_blood
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:54 pm 

Xenophon wrote:
I'm checking out Archemoron, who were mentioned earlier in this thread. This is a dang good find. Another album I'm surprised to see next to no discussion of on the Internet.

It's because the kids are still busy with worshiping Bolzer or whatever the fuck their name is written like, or finding some goofy synth excepts from Burzum's long forgotten past or being over-excited about yet another stale offering from the dead horse AKA Darkthrone...
Anyways, Archemoron's 'Year of the harvester' is a massive accomplishment and surely deserves everyone's attention...

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:21 pm 

I am 3/4 of the way through the new Windfaerer album, Alma, and it's pretty rad. Anyone else heard it yet?

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:58 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
I am 3/4 of the way through the new Windfaerer album, Alma, and it's pretty rad. Anyone else heard it yet?

I thought it came out on the 14th.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:28 am 

I've been away from metal for a while...

Coming back this year, I've been loving Inferi, Monotheist, Summoning, Rur and Monolithe. This thread never disappoints :)

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:15 am 

It's been a really hectic and busy year for me, so the only releases I've heard have been from Obscura and Tribulation

Thrash is usually a one-dimensional genre with a terrible fanbase that's mostly stuck in the 80's; that being said, Chemicaust is fucking great and Rapture deserve FUCKING RESPECT AND HAILS FOR THE FUCKING SICK RIFFS AND DRUMMING, HOLY FUCK :bow: :np: Holding these guys in fucking high regard along with Aspid and Ripper.

Any filthy death metal riffage or caverncore I need to check out?

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:52 am 

booK_of_blood wrote:
Xenophon wrote:

It's because the kids are still busy with worshiping Bolzer or whatever the fuck their name is written like, or finding some goofy synth excepts from Burzum's long forgotten past or being over-excited about yet another stale offering from the dead horse AKA Darkthrone...
Anyways, Archemoron's 'Year of the harvester' is a massive accomplishment and surely deserves everyone's attention...

:lol: You're such an ignorant person. Unbelievable.

I want to like that new Archemoron album but it's really overlong - they know how to write killer riffs though.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:45 am 

Tbh the length of the Archemoron album (and songs) is another thing that appeals to me. Bring on more king-sized metal albums stuffed to the brim with RIFFS!

ingmar birdman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:07 pm 

New Ride for Revenge album Sinking the Song just dropped out of nowhere this morning and obviously it's excellent. More of the same amazing filth.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:54 pm 

The new Thou record Magus is approaching AOTY levels

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:15 pm 

yo this Convulsing record is filthy

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:46 pm 

Damn, the new Redemption album is actually REALLY good. My only experience with them before was 'The Fullness of Time', which I found dull. What's even more surprising is that Tom Englund is the singer on this record, and he sounds good for a change. I guess having good music behind him... redeemed him.

booK_of_blood
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:59 pm 

colin040 wrote:
:lol: You're such an ignorant person. Unbelievable.

I want to like that new Archemoron album but it's really overlong - they know how to write killer riffs though.

...Said the guy whose sole reasoning for not listening to a great metal album is the fact it's (too ?) long. WTF?

And how am I ignorant? Please, do enlighten me...

ingmar birdman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:10 pm 

Gonna check out that Archemoron album in a sec... here's hoping it sounds like Bolzer.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:09 am 

booK_of_blood wrote:
And how am I ignorant? Please, do enlighten me...

oh boy

booK_of_blood wrote:
joppek wrote:
nice - sounds very bölzer inspired

Not familiar with Bolzer's sound. They used to be this forum's hot topic band a couple of years ago, and everything that's being hyped, I'm trying to distance myself from, as hard as I possibly can.
Khanus' sound and aesthetics both seem pretty singular to me; I doubt whether any parallels can be drawn between the former and any other band out there...

booK_of_blood wrote:
Popularity is never a hallmark of quality, quite the contrary.

booK_of_blood wrote:
colin040 wrote:
So...what kind of bands do you listen to? :confused:

Whatever you don't listen to, most likely...

booK_of_blood wrote:

booK_of_blood wrote:

booK_of_blood wrote:

anyways...you should listen to Bölzer...since you're not familiar with their sound...son...

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:31 am 

Vodun – Ascend

So ... what is this? Well ... Afro-psych-doom and they like to spell their band name VŌDŪN!
It's a 3 piece band from the UK and this is their second album. I've never heard about them before so I have no idea if this sound like their last album. Anyway I think the songs are catchy as hell, riffing is good and the singers voice is powerful. I like it, but it's not exactly black-grind-lo-fi-crust. :D
Band names that comes to mind when I hear this is Gozu, Oceans of Slumber (inevitable) and Gossip. If they all started playing an European version of Stoner-desert-fuzz. Oh well, not your typical band, but they are on the archives.

booK_of_blood
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:20 pm 

ingmar birdman wrote:
Gonna check out that Archemoron album in a sec... here's hoping it sounds like Bolzer.

Don't bother...

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:00 pm 

booK_of_blood wrote:
ingmar birdman wrote:

Don't bother...

I'm actually checking out Archemoron now, and despite Bob here being a total dork it's actually pretty damn excellent. It's got the epic moments of Primordial and the intense moments of Immortal, with a nice Greek flavor. The 81 minute runtime is pretty obnoxious though, not sure how often I'll really be able to listen to the whole thing, but it is actually great.

Hope it gets mega popular.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:23 pm 

book_of_butt is a notorious hater and loser, so I wouldn't take anything he says worth a grain of salt. I am also going to check that out simply because he said not to.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:49 pm 

rexxz wrote:
book_of_butt

This has no business making me laugh as much as it has.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:47 am 

Tomb of Finland - Frozen Beneath

Blackened melo-death-doom from ... yeah you guessed it - Finland! It probably won't end up in many top 10 lists this year - but it does have some great songs on it. I also like that it's some good tempo changes in most songs to keep me interested a bit further. So all in all, good job!

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:52 pm 

BastardHead wrote:

I'm actually checking out Archemoron now, and despite Bob here being a total dork it's actually pretty damn excellent. It's got the epic moments of Primordial and the intense moments of Immortal, with a nice Greek flavor. The 81 minute runtime is pretty obnoxious though, not sure how often I'll really be able to listen to the whole thing, but it is actually great.

Hope it gets mega popular.

Yeah, it's really good. I also don't think I ever made it through the full album, but I'll make a point to get back to it.

theagentcoma wrote:
yo this Convulsing record is filthy

Yup, I blasted it again on the way to work today, I love the last 2 songs (before the cover) especially. Edit: wait, no, I also love Relent... ok the whole album!

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:36 pm 

bosse de nage just shit all over everyone AOTY? i dunno. drumming of the year? yessir.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 1:44 pm 

Pretty good little split release by Mavorim and Totenwache today. I had only heard of Mavorim who is a 1 man band from Germany, both bands have very similar mid-paced melodic style.

https://totenwache.bandcamp.com/album/verbrannte-erde

Epicureo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:00 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
bosse de nage just shit all over everyone AOTY? i dunno. drumming of the year? yessir.

Astonishing drumming for real, their drummer can do no wrong.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:44 am 

Any love for the new Primordial?

I'm midway through my first listen, and I'm enjoying what I'm hearing. Very atmospheric whilst still rocking out.

~Guest 277521
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:20 am 

Rodman wrote:
Any love for the new Primordial?

I'm midway through my first listen, and I'm enjoying what I'm hearing. Very atmospheric whilst still rocking out.

I liked the album but it wasn't as great as the last 2-3 for me. It has some pretty good and fun parts though. It's by no means bad, but they've just had much better albums in my humble opinion.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:30 am 

The new Black Majesty is killer. Full of a shitload of classic metal riffs and harmonies - they really sound super hungry and energized on here, completely unlike their lame last album. Just back to basics 80s-style power metal with a great sense of melody and heaviness alike.

This new Voivod is sounding good. I hadn't heard anything they did after the 80s but this basically sounds like a great continuation. Sweet riffs and a much more accessible production job and writing style than they used to have.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:03 am 

I have never been a super fan of Voivod except for a song here and there. But this one sounds pretty good to me, so far. I have to mention the production though - two thumbs up! So many albums these days are ruined by production, it's nice to hear a good sounding record for once.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 33  Next