booK_of_blood
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:32 am 

joppek wrote:
booK_of_blood wrote:
this: https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/K ... ion/718343
Excellent debut full length album...

nice - sounds very bölzer inspired

Not familiar with Bolzer's sound. They used to be this forum's hot topic band a couple of years ago, and everything that's being hyped, I'm trying to distance myself from, as hard as I possibly can.
Khanus' sound and aesthetics both seem pretty singular to me; I doubt whether any parallels can be drawn between the former and any other band out there...

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:25 am 

booK_of_blood wrote:
Not familiar with Bolzer's sound. They used to be this forum's hot topic band a couple of years ago, and everything that's being hyped, I'm trying to distance myself from, as hard as I possibly can.

I will never understand this mentality. Do you also do this with restaurants, books, and movies? Automobiles, alcohol, electricity? Better avoid all of those, wouldn't want to get sucked into the hype machine!

booK_of_blood
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:33 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
booK_of_blood wrote:

I will never understand this mentality. Do you also do this with restaurants, books, and movies? Automobiles, alcohol, electricity? Better avoid all of those, wouldn't want to get sucked into the hype machine!

My own personal choices, mentality or modus operandi in life is not yours to understand, and is the least of your concerns, so mind your own business and let me mind my own. Thank you.
And to indulge you with a laconic answer, since you seem so concerned with other people's matters -- yes. Popularity is never a hallmark of quality, quite the contrary.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:03 pm 

So...what kind of bands do you listen to? :confused:

booK_of_blood
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:08 pm 

colin040 wrote:

Whatever you don't listen to, most likely...
And I have just recommended one, a couple of posts earlier...

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:23 pm 

I think y'all're missing the real comedy of that post. It's not that he actively shuns things that other people already like, the dumbass "kvlt kiddie" stereotype is stupid and nowadays obsolete but it did exist for a reason.

No no no, the funniest part is that he says he's never listened to Bolzer after somebody else says that Khanus seems very inspired by Bolzer, and then asserts that Khanus has a very singular sound and aesthetic and is so wholly unique that he doubts they can be compared to any other band out there despite merely one sentence prior proudly proclaiming that he actively and intentionally has not and will never listen to what seems to be their chief influence.

"Pepsi is pretty good, it's like a sweeter Coca Cola"
"I will never drink Coke because too many people love it. I can't imagine that Pepsi could ever possibly taste like any other drink ever."
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:03 pm 

Popularity is usually a decent measure for quality, actually. Not a 100% accurate one, but most stuff that gets popular you can generally at least see how people would like it. I've found the view that popular = shit, shallow, dumbed down isn't really grounded in reality most of the time. Sometimes maybe.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:13 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Popularity is usually a decent measure for quality, actually. Not a 100% accurate one, but most stuff that gets popular you can generally at least see how people would like it. I've found the view that popular = shit, shallow, dumbed down isn't really grounded in reality most of the time. Sometimes maybe.

I kinda agree and...kinda do not if we are talking about metal. Of course there is a reason why Maiden, Priest, Running Wild etc. are massively popular bands. They produced music of exceptional quality over a long period of time. That much is understood. However in the case of metal I can literally point you to a hundred obscure or demo stage bands that can stand toe-to-toe with those giants (on songwriting/song quality because production is another issue entirely).

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:21 pm 

Well there's a lot of great unknown metal bands and plenty of other unknown art that is very good. I wasn't trying to say underground bands were automatically worse or anything like that. And there's no accounting for personal taste. But generally most of the time, I can at least see why a popular band got to be so acclaimed - even if I don't agree like Opeth or Nevermore or something.

Zdan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:27 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Well there's a lot of great unknown metal bands and plenty of other unknown art that is very good. I wasn't trying to say underground bands were automatically worse or anything like that. And there's no accounting for personal taste. But generally most of the time, I can at least see why a popular band got to be so acclaimed - even if I don't agree like Opeth or Nevermore or something.

Agreed. I can see why the popular bands or classics appeal to wide variety of people - even if I myself do not share the love people have for a given band (Opeth springs to mind). But you do not need to go into the total unknown/underground just to see that while popularity usually denotes some level of quality/catchiness/likeable traits the same could be said of even semi-popular bands. Take Manilla Road as a prime example. They were never a band on the level of even say Manowar but I would venture to say that on the level of pure songwriting they can go toe-to-toe with Joey's boys and I would say that in most cases win handily. And yet they remained a band that was stuck between the deep underground and some popularity (or at least recognition).

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:49 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

I don't think it's reliable at all--it's pretty much a 50/50 shot. Sometimes a band gets popular because of a dynamic sound or intricate performances, and sometimes it's because they were at the right place at the right time. Determining whether a band is going to become popular or not is 10% talent, 10% musicianship, and 80% happenstance.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:21 pm 

Popularity in this sense simply means that a certain number of people (a large number or percentage) process sound waves in their brains a specific way. It in no way means or even suggests that any particular individual will enjoy something.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:13 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

I don't think it's reliable at all--it's pretty much a 50/50 shot. Sometimes a band gets popular because of a dynamic sound or intricate performances, and sometimes it's because they were at the right place at the right time. Determining whether a band is going to become popular or not is 10% talent, 10% musicianship, and 80% happenstance.

Eh, I'd say 80 percent happenstance is very high of an estimate. If we're going to take the discussion in that direction it really depends what bands we each individually think got popular through happenstance, so I dunno.

Quote:
Agreed. I can see why the popular bands or classics appeal to wide variety of people - even if I myself do not share the love people have for a given band (Opeth springs to mind). But you do not need to go into the total unknown/underground just to see that while popularity usually denotes some level of quality/catchiness/likeable traits the same could be said of even semi-popular bands. Take Manilla Road as a prime example. They were never a band on the level of even say Manowar but I would venture to say that on the level of pure songwriting they can go toe-to-toe with Joey's boys and I would say that in most cases win handily. And yet they remained a band that was stuck between the deep underground and some popularity (or at least recognition).

Manilla Road is definitely one that should've been bigger back in the day. They got big later on when newer niche bands started aping them and then everyone realized how fucking brilliant they were. It's never a straight line or a definitive catch-all statement when it comes to "popularity."

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:24 am 

booK_of_blood wrote:
colin040 wrote:

Whatever you don't listen to, most likely...
And I have just recommended one, a couple of posts earlier...

Damn son, you're so kvlt.

Can't stop listening to the new Wytch Hazel, easily my favorite album of the year so far. Those damn guitars, so soulful.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:14 am 

I just find it hilarious that one avoids about anything that's getting hyped. I mean, the guy wasn't talking about Death or Entombed, no...it's fucking Bolzer he talked about.

Anyway, this year I've been enjoying the new Hooded Menace, Aura Noir and Runemagick (even though I'm not really in the mood for this stuff, it sounds pretty damn promising from my first few impressions.)

Usurp Athor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:22 am 

I rarely witnessed such an overblown hype like with Bölzer a couple of years ago - and I am into DM/BM since the earliest 90s, so I saw a lot of trends that came and went. Most people realized with the LP that it was just another blow of hot air with not much behind it, but with the demo and EP the same people acted like there was no music before.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:26 am 

Usurp Athor wrote:
I rarely witnessed such an overblown hype like with Bölzer a couple of years ago - and I am into DM/BM since the earliest 90s, so I saw a lot of trends that came and went. Most people realized with the LP that it was just another blow of hot air with not much behind it, but with the demo and EP the same people acted like there was no music before.

soma and especially hero were letdowns (tho' personally i still like them quite a bit as well), but that doesn't diminish the fact that aura is a fantastic ep, and the hype it got was well deserved - like many bands, they just couldn't keep up their quality, and hence the hype train stopped rolling

also, hype for one band does not a "trend" make

Usurp Athor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:25 am 

joppek wrote:
also, hype for one band does not a "trend" make

Hype, trend, fashion....whatever. You understood what I meant anyway.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:24 pm 

Man this new Manticora album is fucking incredible!!! Instant contender for AOTY imho. I only barely tried getting into these guys back in like 2014 and didn;t really get too into their stuff, so I'm not super sure how this compares to the later stuff, but this album is great. The diversity of sound is really quite remarkable, going from grinding death metal to soaring power metal, technically punishing to anthemic, it's all here and for the most part I'd say it's all done extremely well. The only thing I wasn't 100 percent sold on were the vocals, but I'm definitely digging em now.

edit: didn't catch it on any previous pages, but I'm always really curious to hear Empyreal's opinion on new power metal and this is one is no different. Go off, king!

Last edited by PvtNinjer on Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:02 am 

Soreption - Monument of the End

FFS. I'm coming back from a month of vacation and just out of nowhere I see that Soreption has released a new album *yeah*.
It blows 95 % of all other technical death metal out of the water. Love it!

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:52 am 

booK_of_blood wrote:

Khanus' sound and aesthetics both seem pretty singular to me; I doubt whether any parallels can be drawn between the former and any other band out there...

This album is cool, but I can very clearly see the Bolzer influence.

Guess that means you have to stop listening to it now. :ah-ha:

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:20 pm 

The new Unanimated EP has leaked, not a perfect leak but enough to get a decent impression on it. So far so good halfway through, though it doesn't seem as great as the band's previous work. It might become a grower though.

frostyj66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:23 am 

Nekrokraft – ‘Servants’

I had an absolute blast listening to this. Rather typical Swedish black metal so you know what you’re going to get - catchy tremolos, blasting, and some nice thrash/death parts… but it was just so much fun.

Some of the songwriting was a bit rough around the edges which will hold this back from being a Top 10 candidate but there’s always at least one really cool riff or passage that every song has going for it.

Absolutely dreadful artwork though, but don’t let that put you off!

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:41 am 

booK_of_blood wrote:
this: https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/K ... ion/718343
Excellent debut full length album...

Yeah thanks for this. Excellent stuff going on. Sounds like diet Bolzer mixed with Mithras vocals.

Last edited by Pitiless Wanderer on Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:38 am 

androdion wrote:
The new Unanimated EP has leaked, not a perfect leak but enough to get a decent impression on it. So far so good halfway through, though it doesn't seem as great as the band's previous work. It might become a grower though.

I got it on CD a week or so ago, I've been really enjoying it - definitely a grower, for sure. Definitely more death metal-infused than I was expecting, the first song in particular has some serious 'Altars of Madness' vibes, and as a whole I think I might put it just a hair above 'In the Light of Darkness' just because it's quite a bit faster and more or less ditches the mid-paced approach the band took on almost every song on that album. The closing track "Annihilation" is probably my favorite of the bunch, love the epic vibe and the genius use of melody in the chorus.

Overall, a great EP, though I have to admit I'm hoping these turn out to be exclusive tracks, rather than stuff they'll just reuse or re-record for the upcoming full length. Oh well, I guess time will tell.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:08 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
Man this new Manticora album is fucking incredible!!! Instant contender for AOTY imho. I only barely tried getting into these guys back in like 2014 and didn;t really get too into their stuff, so I'm not super sure how this compares to the later stuff, but this album is great. The diversity of sound is really quite remarkable, going from grinding death metal to soaring power metal, technically punishing to anthemic, it's all here and for the most part I'd say it's all done extremely well. The only thing I wasn't 100 percent sold on were the vocals, but I'm definitely digging em now.

edit: didn't catch it on any previous pages, but I'm always really curious to hear Empyreal's opinion on new power metal and this is one is no different. Go off, king!

I agree. I am totally surprised by this - judging from their band photos you'd think they were a shitty nu metal group, but no. Tons and tons of speed and heaviness with some pretty cool vocals. Awesome riffs and killer drumming too. Definitely a top album for me this year.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:18 pm 

true_death wrote:
androdion wrote:

I got it on CD a week or so ago, I've been really enjoying it - definitely a grower, for sure. Definitely more death metal-infused than I was expecting, the first song in particular has some serious 'Altars of Madness' vibes, and as a whole I think I might put it just a hair above 'In the Light of Darkness' just because it's quite a bit faster and more or less ditches the mid-paced approach the band took on almost every song on that album. The closing track "Annihilation" is probably my favorite of the bunch, love the epic vibe and the genius use of melody in the chorus.

Overall, a great EP, though I have to admit I'm hoping these turn out to be exclusive tracks, rather than stuff they'll just reuse or re-record for the upcoming full length. Oh well, I guess time will tell.

Yeah first song sounds almost like Merciless. Personally I was expecting something a bit different, but the EP is most certainly good stuff. There are small aspects that nag me a bit like the drumming being so samey on the first song as opposed to the rest of the songs (I miss Stjarnvind on the drums), and four small songs with one of them being an interlude. Damn, I wanted more! :D

My guess is that CM is playing it safe and the "three album record deal" was just marketing. This EP (one mississipi), the album next fall (two mississipi) and then if there's no interest a compilation of whatever to be able to fulfil the deal and drop the band. So I don't think they'll reuse these songs for the upcoming album.

Rainbow Demon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:24 pm 

booK_of_blood wrote:
Quote:
My own personal choices, mentality or modus operandi in life is not yours to understand, and is the least of your concerns, so mind your own business and let me mind my own. Thank you.
And to indulge you with a laconic answer, since you seem so concerned with other people's matters -- yes. Popularity is never a hallmark of quality, quite the contrary.

What a tool.

I've had the new Wytch Hazel in my car playing nonstop, I really dig their sound. Prelude and Sojourn are both really enjoyable.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:52 pm 

I avoid hyped bands if I don't like their album artwork - the old fashioned way

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:05 am 

Ordered the new Unanimated today. Been listening to the new Sentient Horror, Drawn & Quartered and Mortuous releases quite a bit. Well worth checking out for death metal fans.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:34 am 

Two really good records:

Parius - The Eldritch Realm

Sear Bliss - Letters from the Edge

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:47 pm 

For anyone wanting some new swededeath, Crawl-Rituals is sounding good so far. Nothing mindblowing or terribly innovative, but not quite, "heard it before," either.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:33 pm 

New Convulsing album just came out a few minutes ago, I'm sure it's awesome.
https://convulsing.bandcamp.com/album/grievous

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:06 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
New Convulsing album just came out a few minutes ago, I'm sure it's awesome.
https://convulsing.bandcamp.com/album/grievous

Came to post this. One listen through, and it's excellent. Few more spins definitely on the way

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:50 am 

Feel like I'm rather late to the party but I'm really digging the newest full-length by Hermóðr.

https://hermodr.bandcamp.com/album/midn ... ipse-album

Mosquiller
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:53 am 

I have listened to few albums this year due to my job but favorite death album of 2018 so far is Drawn and Quartered's The One Who lurks.
didn't disappoint as always. very underrated band.
more 'new old school' recommendations are appreciated.

still waiting for new Dead Congregation and Grave Miasma. Evoken as well.
also very excited to listen to new Yob, Necros Chrtistos, Conan and Faustcoven soon.

Last edited by Mosquiller on Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:54 am 

Mantar - The Modern Art Of Setting Ablaze

I've been looking forward to this album for some time now and fuck yeah it delivers! I hope that this is the album that will get them the recognition they deserve. Pumping out so many riffs that drills into your head really should be rewarded. It's a like an European punk version of High on Fire ... or something like that. It will make my top 10 list in 2018 no doubt.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:10 am 

^Yeah, I've heard good things about that and have the album as of yesterday. Looking forward to listening to it soon.

k311250
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:15 pm 

Mare. https://terraturpossessions.bandcamp.co ... bony-tower

Tiam Kara
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:49 pm 

I don’t quite have a Top 5 to share just yet but I wanted to make sure this new Altars of Grief album didn’t go overlooked. I’ve been eagerly trying to find a band that picked up where Woods of Ypres left off and for me this is it. Strong contender for my AOTY right now.

https://youtu.be/K71U2EmaHTk

They're coming closer just to kill us
Don't cry, don't cry on me now
No, they ain't ever gonna help us
Close to his grave we'll build our home.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 33  Next