Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Krystal Fluff
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:12 am 

I'm wondering, do any of you know a good way to get Agathocles' discography without having to buy each split individually? As in, which compilations get you those songs? Considering they have 439 releases listed on Discogs, I don't think it's feasible for me to buy all their items individually. I could make a complicated spreadsheet to figure out the best way but I figured I'd ask if anyone has an answer. You don't have to go out of your way to figure it out honestly, just wondering if anyone knows. Thanks!

John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:10 am 

A lot of their material is only available on the splits. There's no way around getting them if you want to hear all their music. Of course a lot of the material is just different versions of the same songs, so you can stick to the "main" releases and get all the important stuff. Agathocles aren't really a band to meticulously collect because not everything they release is an important piece of their artistic body of work, it's just something put out to keep them involved in the scene, help other bands get their name out, and keep their music circulating. They're released in small runs and not really meant to be in everyone's collection, rather you should just enjoy the ones you pick up here and there and enjoy the unique experience you will have with their music. Unlike, say, Burzum, where everyone is hearing the same version of "Dunkelheit", not everyone hears and falls in love with the same version of "Gorgonized Dorks". Just part of their appeal.

Cat III
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:05 pm 

The compilations Mince Core History (1985-1990, 1989-1993, 1993-1996 and 1997-1999) seem to be what you're looking for. As Mr. Sunlight said, it's probably best starting with the LPs, though some of these comps would be nice supplements without having to track down a thousand different cassettes and 7" records. Like Sabbat, Abigail and Nunslaughter, the various releases are neat if you're a collector and it can be interesting to hear variations of familiar songs, but the sheer volume makes completionism impractical if not impossible.

chugging_pus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:58 am 

I'd write Jan and ask him this question.

Back in the day when I tape traded with him, he'd send me tapes of everything AG recorded that year or within that period of time. He probably has all the sessions separated.

Reply to topic