* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:16 am 

From Reinert's Facebook page:

Quote:
Today I post with a heavy heart, but also a lightened spirit. A settlement has been reached between Paul and I in regards to CYNIC. I am unable to disclose any of the details regarding this agreement but I am at peace with the arrangement. I am going to step aside from CYNIC and continue with my personal projects - Paul is going to continue with CYNIC and his.

I want to take this last Facebook post as an opportunity to humbly thank all of the musicians, engineers, technicians, companies, booking agents, managers, crew, press, labels and friends that I've worked with (and will likely continue to) over this past 30-year span.

Most of all - I would like to thank the fans, who to this day still blow me away with their loyalty and love. You've always been the inspiration and the fuel for the machine!

To Paul, I sincerely wish him and the musicians he hires nothing but the best.

Love,
Sean

https://www.facebook.com/officialseanre ... =3&theater

I'm intrigued to see where Cynic goes from here, or if they even can really go on. Sean really was the driving force behind the band from a musical standpoint, and while that's not to diminish Paul's contributions to Cynic, it always felt to me like Sean was the thing keeping everything all together. I don't expect whatever Paul does in the future to be anywhere near the level of Focus, but let's see how this goes.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

emperorjvl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:29 am 

That sucks! But, I'm excited to hear the next Sean Reinert project. Cynic will need one hell of a replacement to keep my interest.

~Guest 277521
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:19 am 

Cynic just never really got me after Focus for some reason but I love their other projects like Gordian Knot. I'll be looking forward to see whatever Sean does after this.

HideYourHole
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:36 am 

Subrick wrote:

I'm intrigued to see where Cynic goes from here, or if they even can really go on. Sean really was the driving force behind the band from a musical standpoint, and while that's not to diminish Paul's contributions to Cynic, it always felt to me like Sean was the thing keeping everything all together. I don't expect whatever Paul does in the future to be anywhere near the level of Focus, but let's see how this goes.

Don't know why you would expect anything different considering they never got anywhere near that level since it was released.

~Guest 417309
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:53 am 

Nice to hear that Cynic will be moving forward - love all of that band's work, especially Traced in Air and the Carbon-Based Anatomy EP. Really unique albums.

EDIT - thanks for the correction TheMysticWombat

Last edited by ~Guest 417309 on Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:12 am 

nekrosonic wrote:
love all of that band's work, especially Traced in Air and the Carbon-Based Lifeforms EP.

hehe

Yeah, Reinert was indeed necessary for Cynic's sound. Loved the hell out of Carbon-Based Anatomy because of his drumming, it was simply incredible. Reminds me of Agalloch all over again :(

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:01 am 

HideYourHole wrote:
Subrick wrote:

Don't know why you would expect anything different considering they never got anywhere near that level since it was released.

Traced in Air was absolutely fantastic, and Carbon Based Anatomy was pretty damn good too. Kindly Bent to Free us was a boring nothingburger of an album, and that's exactly the direction I'm expecting Sean-less Cynic to go in, only with less interesting drumming.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:07 am 

Cynic hasn't done anything worthwhile since Focus and this makes things even worse. I expect them to hire a 22 year old kid from a djent band who knows next to noithing about metal music and will work for nothing.

I have more faith in the project that Gobel and Reinert said they will be putting together, if it ever comes to fruition.

In the meantime, there are releases from bands like Exivious, Mindwork, etc. that people can check out if they want to hear good Cynic-esque music and don't want to go in Paul's shoegaze direction.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:17 am 

Quote:
To Paul, I sincerely wish him and the musicians he hires nothing but the best.

Love,
Sean

That message isn't the least bit malicious but boy does that still sting...

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:40 am 

I'm just glad that they released that "Uroboric Forms" compilation, even if it was a soulless cashgrab (for years Paul claimed those demos weren't important to him and it would be pointless to release something not "artistically relevant"). And even that release was tainted with drama when it came to light that Sean wasn't told it was happening or even given a copy of it...definitely a shame that such an iconic duo fell apart in such a strange and (seemingly) petty way. Kind of curious honestly, what happened between them to cause a rift like this.

As for the idea of a Reinert-less Cynic...I already wasn't exactly on board with a growl/vocoder-less Cynic so you can count me out, right now :lol:.

Epicureo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:06 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Cynic hasn't done anything worthwhile since Focus and this makes things even worse. I expect them to hire a 22 year old kid from a djent band who knows next to noithing about metal music and will work for nothing.

I have more faith in the project that Gobel and Reinert said they will be putting together, if it ever comes to fruition.

In the meantime, there are releases from bands like Exivious, Mindwork, etc. that people can check out if they want to hear good Cynic-esque music and don't want to go in Paul's shoegaze direction.

The problem is that both Exivious and Mindwork are no more.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:07 pm 

Not sure if you guys have followed Paul's FB page but he's been posting lots of little videos of himself playing snippets of what seems to be new Cynic material (even with Sean Malone on bass) and it sounds pretty promising to me. Some examples:
https://www.facebook.com/paulmasvidal/v ... 218157685/ (seems like he's really gotten into the alien thing lately)
https://www.facebook.com/paulmasvidal/v ... 854298688/
https://www.facebook.com/paulmasvidal/v ... 746725997/

Now mind you there is no official confirmation that these clips are new Cynic songs but they do sound a LOT like them to me. Snippets are ultimately too short to gauge the quality but as someone who really digs Kindly Bent to Free Us I'm up for more of this sound. All the same though, I'm happy to see Cynic continue without Reinert even though he's one of my favorite drummers. If these recent videos and posts are an accurate indicator that Malone is still in the band then I am extra happy because he adds a great deal to the band as well I think.

Reply to topic