Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:19 am 

Vexovoid's debut full-length is finally coming out tomorrow! Their sound is heavily influenced by Vektor, and while this is the only song I've heard of theirs, it is pretty awesome. Thought I'd post a thread for this one because I think people will really dig this sound.

It sounds a bit better than some of the other clones I've heard in this style, though truthfully they're all pretty good in their own way.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:03 pm 

Oh man!! I was wondering when they would put out a proper album. Great news!

Like your reviews?

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:44 pm 

That sounded great! Thanks for sharing.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

brain hammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:01 pm 

Vexovoid is killer. Their "Heralds of the Stars" EP from 2014 and their cover of Voivod's "Killing Technology" are both great, so I'm really looking forward to this album. I'm thinking it will be one of the best debut progressive/thrash albums of the year, hopefully as good or better than Droid's "Terrestrial Mutations."

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:46 am 

Terrestrial Mutations is a great record. The reverb and riffing gives an atmospheric tint to the music, and the punkesque vocals help to ground the sound as a whole. Droid basically takes the Voivod sound and filters it back through punk in a way that totally works.

But, Black Future is and may always be the start and end of this sub-subgenre of thrash for me. This entire sound is basically the post-metal genre of thrash—dudes who claim to be into "intelligent metal" because they listen to thrash that's technical with weird time signatures and quiet parts and call it stuff like "artistic" and "creative" and the music "can't be labeled because it's so different". I don't find the sound itself limiting, I just don't find the amazement in it. It also doesn't help I feel like I've heard this song eight or nine times before on various Vektor albums throughout the years.

Having said that, the more I hear this particular style of thrash, the more I realize it's thrash for people who don't want to be fans of thrash because of some weird "everything sounds the same" stigma. That's fine. It's just not for me. Maybe I'll come back around to this in the future. I just wish people gave thrash as a whole a chance because it's a fun and great subgenre of metal instead of relegating it to some weird "I'll only listen to thrash when it grows up" which is founded in nonsense.

tl;dr — the sound is fine, but stop acting like this particular style is the craft beer of thrash, pleading that, "no dude, this beer is really the best craft beer!"

praey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:11 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Terrestrial Mutations is a great record. The reverb and riffing gives an atmospheric tint to the music, and the punkesque vocals help to ground the sound as a whole. Droid basically takes the Voivod sound and filters it back through punk in a way that totally works.

But, Black Future is and may always be the start and end of this sub-subgenre of thrash for me. This entire sound is basically the post-metal genre of thrash—dudes who claim to be into "intelligent metal" because they listen to thrash that's technical with weird time signatures and quiet parts and call it stuff like "artistic" and "creative" and the music "can't be labeled because it's so different". I don't find the sound itself limiting, I just don't find the amazement in it. It also doesn't help I feel like I've heard this song eight or nine times before on various Vektor albums throughout the years.

Having said that, the more I hear this particular style of thrash, the more I realize it's thrash for people who don't want to be fans of thrash because of some weird "everything sounds the same" stigma. That's fine. It's just not for me. Maybe I'll come back around to this in the future. I just wish people gave thrash as a whole a chance because it's a fun and great subgenre of metal instead of relegating it to some weird "I'll only listen to thrash when it grows up" which is founded in nonsense.

tl;dr — the sound is fine, but stop acting like this particular style is the craft beer of thrash, pleading that, "no dude, this beer is really the best craft beer!"

Holy smokes dude. Who is it that isn't "giving thrash as a whole a chance?" I've seen the new Power Trip on more year end lists than probably any other album. Moreover, are there really people out there claiming this is "intelligent metal" they listen to because thrash is otherwise something where "everything sounds the same?" I always figured the technical riffing and atmospheric portions meshed well with the outer space theme but maybe I just haven't been privy to the right discussions.

With regard to this song, this is pretty damn good. At first I thought it was too similar to Vektor but the vocals and riffing are different enough that it's clearly distinguishable. I'll have to check this one out. If anyone's interested in another great "space thrash" band, Euphoria's debut from last year is stellar.

TimeDoesNotHeal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:08 am 

Judging by the one song, that's a pretty massive leap from their earlier stuff. Heralds of the Stars didn't really do much for me, but I dug this song a lot.

I'd also dispute the "intelligent metal" claim. I don't like it because it's technical, I like it because it fucking rocks, and I'd be pretty confident in saying that that's also the case for most (not all) other people who like the Voivod/Vektor type of thrash.

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:13 am 

Have them on my "must listen" list for the year before I finish my top albums of the year list. The song is good, super Vektor-esque, we'll see if they bring enough of their own into it. I really dig the slower section that starts at 2:50, though.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:13 pm 

Another new song! The title track:

FasterDisaster wrote:

As someone who is a very vocal defender of modern thrash, even when derivative in nature, I struggled with Vektor a lot when they first came out. It never grabbed me the way simpler bands like Gama Bomb or Warbringer did. And while I still love those bands, and even prefer them to Vektor, it's pretty easy to see why this style of thrash is appealing. None of the old-school technical thrash bands sound anything like this (Voivod included, who I am not really a fan of).

I am not surprised at all that many people who aren't into thrash as a whole are drawn to this because it does have some slight black metal elements (particularly the vocals), and is a lot more ambitious than most thrash strives to be. As a thrash purist, it doesn't always hit the mark in what I want from the subgenre, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good addition to it.

For what it's worth, I sympathize with your last point a lot because I always felt that Vektor ruined modern thrash. So many people were concentrated on saying X or Y band sucks because they're not Vektor, when in reality, there is a lot of great modern thrash out there. The other thing that took me a long time to realize is that most metal fans aren't thrash fans. Sure, they like Slayer, but I feel like most metal fans don't dig beyond 10-20 of the 1980s thrash band. It should be no surprise they don't like any modern thrash bands (other than Vektor) if they aren't listening to Atrophy, Hallows Eve, or Darkness, as a few examples. For me, I worship that stuff, and so Vektor stealing the spotlight away from other modern thrash is frustrating. It doesn't change the fact that Vektor and similar bands absolutely rule.

brain hammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:56 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
the more I hear this particular style of thrash, the more I realize it's thrash for people who don't want to be fans of thrash because of some weird "everything sounds the same" stigma.

Nah. You can just be a thrash fan, period, and enjoy different sounding thrash bands. I'm totally loving "Call Of the Starforger." My favorite album of the year on the other hand was Entrench "Through The Walls Of Death." They sound nothing alike. Go figure. Liking Vexovoid doesn't mean I can't enjoy a band like Chemicide. Apples and oranges.

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:59 am 

I bought it on Bandcamp, gave the album a listen and honestly, while it's good, it's still a mild disappointment. I see very little difference to Vektor's style, except it's less frantic and over-the-top - Vexovoid's album is well done, but still kind of a copycat. Other bands that could be looked at in a similar "space-thrash", or the "new tech-thrash" style, like Droid, Black Fast or Teleport, just have more unique approaches to playing and songwriting.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

Reply to topic