jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:41 pm 

Umm, yeah. This should probably stop before it even starts. :scratch:

https://exclaim.ca/music/article/listen ... al_network

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:37 am 

Huh, so it just made a Krallice record....

edit: Listened before I read. I guess Krallice was the source material of what was fed through the neural network

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:26 am 

It's not hugely interesting as music, but it does sound very unusual and strange. Where a human would break a section up or provide contrast, the neural network does its own thing. As a result it basically avoids all the cliches of human-composed music.

It would be cool to pair a human musician with a neural network. The network generates ideas, and the human cuts out the best ones and records it on an album.

CircleovZaphyan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:46 am 

Surprised it didnt 404: Metal not found, when Krallice was plugged in it.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:08 am 

It won't be long until computers can genuinely compose pop songs and other styles with simple and repetitive song structures.
The concept is pretty cool I think - especially when it reacts differently than how a human musician would.

Like MawBTS said, pairing a human musician with this computer generated music would be pretty interesting.

Kitchinut
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:10 am 

I think it's a good song. Listen and see the fun. It's a good song. I like it

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:53 am 

Judgment day won't come from machines dropping bombs, it'll come when they produce all the chart and underground music.

In all seriousness though, this was interesting but I can't say I enjoyed all of it. I've listened to piano music composed by machines before and I think that worked much better. Something about everything, it might have been all the tempo changes but I'm not really sure. Cool idea though.

Necrobiotik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:37 am 

Would be interesting to hear a Industrial band (like Fear Factory for instance) generated by A.I.
I didn't liked very much that black metal music but a human voice over that messy sound would be better imo.
By the way,the eletronic drumming users should see this.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:16 pm 

Necrobiotik wrote:
an Industrial band (like Fear Factory for instance)

Industrial metal.

Necrobiotik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:38 pm 

DecemberSoul wrote:
Necrobiotik wrote:
an Industrial band (like Fear Factory for instance)

Industrial metal.

I know,whatever.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:28 pm 

It seems like a lot of pop music is computer generated already.

This actually was surprisingly listenable. It actually sounds better than a lot of human generated black metal I've heard. I was expecting something more along the lines of that guy Morsay's projects (Sewer, Phantom, etc.) with just basic droning guitar synth noise accompanied by horrible metronome-sounding drum machines.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:59 am 

That was kind of cool

Dr_Fiemost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:18 am 

I like the titles :)
I wonder how it would sound if trained with more than one album from different bands, or even different genres

kingnuuuur
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:39 am 

I guess you could say it's INHUMAN BLACK METAL.

One amusing thought just occured to me: if when AI-generated music becomes good enough to fool people into thinking that it's man-made, and when the technology becomes widely commercially available so that anyone can just feed and blend songs in neural networks to come up with new full-length original material... Imagine the staff here trying to work out which of the thousands of new artist submissions per day are human-based and which ones are artificial, then debating whether AI-generated metal music has any place in the archives at all... AND that 90% of the new AI music is Metallica blended into Megadeth or some shit like that. :lol:

Rasha_yad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:42 pm 

Wisdom Trippin' is some seriously baller shit. I wonder if it will hold up with repeat listens.

They really need to work on those titles though. Nothing should ever be called "Coditany of Timeness". Actually can we just ban any and all use of both those words?

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:11 pm 

Dr_Fiemost wrote:
I like the titles :)

"Timension" cracked me up the first time I read it. A dimension where everything is TIM.

~Guest 277521
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:10 am 

Zerberus wrote:
It won't be long until computers can genuinely compose pop songs and other styles with simple and repetitive song structures.
The concept is pretty cool I think - especially when it reacts differently than how a human musician would.

Like MawBTS said, pairing a human musician with this computer generated music would be pretty interesting.

It's been done already. Neural networks have even written cantatas in the Bach style that fooled experts.

It's really quite interesting and I've always liked these ideas as well as computed-assisted composition but that's something generally much more talked about in art music than say underground music.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:35 am 

maladie wrote:
It's been done already. Neural networks have even written cantatas in the Bach style that fooled experts.

It's really quite interesting and I've always liked these ideas as well as computed-assisted composition but that's something generally much more talked about in art music than say underground music.

Shows what I know, haha.

It really is interesting yes. Fully computer generated music raises a lot of questions, such as the artistic merrit of something created by algorithms.

Dr_Fiemost
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:49 am 

maladie wrote:

Wasn't that different in that the score were produced while here the audio have been directly generated? From the article:
Quote:
Unlike MIDI and symbolic models, SampleRNN generates raw audio in the time domain.

~Guest 277521
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:17 am 

Dr_Fiemost wrote:
maladie wrote:

Wasn't that different in that the score were produced while here the audio have been directly generated? From the article:
Quote:
Unlike MIDI and symbolic models, SampleRNN generates raw audio in the time domain.

Yup that is correct. The Bach example was "only" a score generator. However, I'd say that it beats a BM album when it comes to pure complexity of the lines, etc. It's really cool that this album was fully generated by AI when it comes to the sound as well, but I would say that a lot of sounds used in BM are easier to fully generated in the box (by waveguides or physical modelling for example) because of the use of production than purely acoustic music. Still awesome nonetheless

OlioTheSmall
Handsome (marsupial) Beast

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:40 am 

The other day, Google unveiled AlphaZero; an AI that was designed to play various board games. It does this not through brute force (like all current top chess engines do), but by teaching itself. The AI was told the rules of chess and then allowed to play itself for 4 hours. After that, it was unleashed on Stockfish 8, the 2016 world chess engine champion, in a 100 game match. AlphaZero won 28 games, drew 72 and lost 0. In 4 hours, a computer was able to surpass 1500 years of accumulated chess knowledge that humanity had funnelled into machines. It was both amazing and disgusting to behold.

Now I hear computers are making black metal.

- Tim Minchin

Aydross
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:40 pm 

A.I/Machine Learning/Neural Networks will change the way we humans live for ever. Virtually every human field will be ruled by these machines eventually. This is a HUGE step for progress, on the scale of first discovering electricity, inventing the internet, car invention, etc.

And here we are making bedroom black metal lmao let's go :headbang:

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:52 pm 

Well.. Black metal is the highest form of art, besides fishing and racoon hunting.

It's very interesting, i just wish they try with a more normal band next. the results right now are an atonal mess with weird rhyhtms, just like most of Krallice's music :(

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:29 pm 

CircleovZaphyan wrote:
Surprised it didnt 404: Metal not found, when Krallice was plugged in it.

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Well.. Black metal is the highest form of art

As long as humans still have the wisdom necessary to grasp these truths, I don't fear the computers will be taking over.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:39 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
It's very interesting, i just wish they try with a more normal band next. the results right now are an atonal mess with weird rhyhtms, just like most of Krallice's music :(

haha, this. Krallice is one of the most unlistenable things I've heard recently. What's the point of that shit?

Reply to topic