Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
nekrosonic
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:30 am
Posts: 258
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:14 am 
 

Empyreal wrote:

Wintersun - superbly unintelligent


Can you qualify that in musical terms at all? I don't know what that means. The Forest Seasons isn't the best record of all time or anything but it's definitely not 'superbly unintelligent'.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 25928
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:18 am 
 

nekrosonic wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Wintersun - superbly unintelligent


Can you qualify that in musical terms at all? I don't know what that means. The Forest Seasons isn't the best record of all time or anything but it's definitely not 'superbly unintelligent'.


I find the overloaded songwriting and gaudy, everything and the kitchen sink style to be very dumb music that thinks it's smart for putting all those influences in.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: The Forest, The Cloverfield Paradox

Top
 Profile  
nekrosonic
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:30 am
Posts: 258
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:36 am 
 

Maybe over-produced and pretentious as hell, yeah, but unintelligent is a stretch, the songs are all pro.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 25928
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:39 am 
 

Well whatever you want to call it, it's exactly my least favorite kind of metal and I can't stand it at all.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: The Forest, The Cloverfield Paradox

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Magic Mike

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 8609
Location: Elgin, Illinois
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:47 am 
 

FirebathDan wrote:
I think we should stop posting lists in here until after the results are tallied and posted to prevent further submissions from being influenced or prejudiced.


Well that's actually listed in the rules, and so far there's only been one dude to just not care to read them and/or follow them to jack it up really. Discussion is encouraged but posting lists can easily lead to nonsense like the Baseball Hall of Fame where people don't vote for things they really think are the best just because they're already winning and thus can get street cred by writing in obscure votes.
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEW: QUICK HITS: Condor - Unstoppable Power
The Outer RIM - Uatism: The dogs bark in street slang
ENCYCLOPAEDIA METALLUM ALBUM OF THE YEAR 2017 RESULTS!

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 25928
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:51 am 
 

Since we're not really doing a 'worst of 2017' list, I figured it's no big deal to post that here or anywhere really.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: The Forest, The Cloverfield Paradox

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Magic Mike

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 8609
Location: Elgin, Illinois
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:54 am 
 

I guess you could argue that it could cause some reactionary votes for fans of those albums to put them at the top out of spite or something, but I'm not worried about that since any fanboy who thinks Wintersun released the best album of the year likely spent all year listening to nothing but fucking Wintersun and wouldn't be able to think of nine other albums to vote for. See: CradleofBurzum preemptively proving my point.
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEW: QUICK HITS: Condor - Unstoppable Power
The Outer RIM - Uatism: The dogs bark in street slang
ENCYCLOPAEDIA METALLUM ALBUM OF THE YEAR 2017 RESULTS!

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 25928
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:56 am 
 

BastardHead wrote:
I guess you could argue that it could cause some reactionary votes for fans of those albums to put them at the top out of spite or something, but I'm not worried about that since any fanboy who thinks Wintersun released the best album of the year likely spent all year listening to nothing but fucking Wintersun and wouldn't be able to think of nine other albums to vote for. See: CradleofBurzum preemptively proving my point.


Eh, I wouldn't presume anyone to take my opinions so seriously that they'd vote in a reactionary manner - if they do, they have too much time on their hands and need to worry about more important things.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: The Forest, The Cloverfield Paradox

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 5880
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:04 am 
 

Empyreal wrote:
Battle Beast - Bringer of Pain
Utterly shallow, plastic music. Just not good and it's a shame - their old stuff had potential.

I thought this album still had plenty of fun and catchy tunes to offer, but it is hard to deny that it's their worst album yet. Any other year, it wouldn't have stood a chance, but because 2017 was shit, it barely made its way onto my list. If their debut launched this year, it would've been stiff competition for the #1 spot, no problem.
_________________
I write anime reviews. They're good for your health!
My Most Recent Review: Mob Psycho 100!
Coming Up Next:
Little Witch Academia
After That: Paprika and Tamako Market

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Magic Mike

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 8609
Location: Elgin, Illinois
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:06 am 
 

Yeah Bringer of Pain had a couple okay songs (Familiar Hell is super dumb but mega infectious) but it's nowhere near sniffing my list. Where's my Berserk song, dammit?!
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEW: QUICK HITS: Condor - Unstoppable Power
The Outer RIM - Uatism: The dogs bark in street slang
ENCYCLOPAEDIA METALLUM ALBUM OF THE YEAR 2017 RESULTS!

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 25928
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:18 am 
 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Empyreal wrote:
Battle Beast - Bringer of Pain
Utterly shallow, plastic music. Just not good and it's a shame - their old stuff had potential.

I thought this album still had plenty of fun and catchy tunes to offer, but it is hard to deny that it's their worst album yet. Any other year, it wouldn't have stood a chance, but because 2017 was shit, it barely made its way onto my list. If their debut launched this year, it would've been stiff competition for the #1 spot, no problem.


I guess a few songs weren't bad, but that's hardly a standard worth praising. It was a shitty album and the songs just felt lazy to me, even the catchy ones - none of the energy or riff-power of their debut or even the slightly weaker s/t.

I also thought 2017 had a lot of really great albums so I guess we just don't agree here man.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: The Forest, The Cloverfield Paradox

Top
 Profile  
Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:19 am
Posts: 1150
Location: Italy
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:45 am 
 

I'm too in the camp of the disappointed by this 2017, but i'm actually surprised by how much good stuff i've listened this year, even if not mind blowing.
It will not be easy to pick only ten!

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 5880
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:54 am 
 

BastardHead wrote:
Where's my Berserk song, dammit?!

"The Eclipse" was the requisite Berserk song. :V
_________________
I write anime reviews. They're good for your health!
My Most Recent Review: Mob Psycho 100!
Coming Up Next:
Little Witch Academia
After That: Paprika and Tamako Market

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 25928
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:21 pm 
 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
I'm too in the camp of the disappointed by this 2017, but i'm actually surprised by how much good stuff i've listened this year, even if not mind blowing.
It will not be easy to pick only ten!


I guarantee there are even more good albums I didn't get to hear and some I probably haven't even heard of yet. I feel like the last few years had more quality albums extremely visible - but the really good ones this year were REALLY fucking good.

People also tend to say every year was bad until they either find more quality stuff, or until the following year when suddenly they have rose-tinted glasses about the previous one.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: The Forest, The Cloverfield Paradox

Top
 Profile  
narsilianshard
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:22 pm
Posts: 1785
Location: Louisville
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:27 pm 
 

I usually have at least one album I get obsessed with every year that I can't stop listening to, but that didn't happen to me in 2017. Lots of killer stuff, but nothing that I feel the urge to listen to five times a day. Ulver might be the closest but I have to be in a very specific mood for that since my soul needs more metal/riffs to be happy. Satan's Hallow is definitely the debut of the year, though.

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Magic Mike

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 8609
Location: Elgin, Illinois
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:34 pm 
 

Just gonna say this here, but I've actually sent back no less than four ballots for a redo already because people keep voting for the new Full of Hell album. Yes, I agree, Trumpeting Ecstasy absolutely rules, it's likely gonna make my Top 13 I do for Lair of the Bastard. Yes, I think it's definitely metal enough for grindcore to warrant inclusion here. Unfortunately MA is a democracy, not a dictatorship, and the vote to include them in the archives based on that album ultimately fell the other way. Full of Hell is not eligible by the rules I set for this poll. I don't like it either. Please stop voting for them.
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEW: QUICK HITS: Condor - Unstoppable Power
The Outer RIM - Uatism: The dogs bark in street slang
ENCYCLOPAEDIA METALLUM ALBUM OF THE YEAR 2017 RESULTS!

Top
 Profile  
FirebathDan
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:32 pm
Posts: 927
Location: Greensboro, NC, US
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:52 pm 
 

BastardHead wrote:
Just gonna say this here, but I've actually sent back no less than four ballots for a redo already because people keep voting for the new Full of Hell album. Yes, I agree, Trumpeting Ecstasy absolutely rules, it's likely gonna make my Top 13 I do for Lair of the Bastard. Yes, I think it's definitely metal enough for grindcore to warrant inclusion here. Unfortunately MA is a democracy, not a dictatorship, and the vote to include them in the archives based on that album ultimately fell the other way. Full of Hell is not eligible by the rules I set for this poll. I don't like it either. Please stop voting for them.


The list I submitted to you was a modified one for this very reason-you actually got my top 11, less one.

When the results are tallied, I was gonna post both the modified list I submitted intending to adhere to the rules set forth, and my *actual* list, which includes FoH relatively high up (for my personal rankings standard, FoH are undoubtedly metal).

If Nails got here, FoH can get here eventually, especially if they continue down the path set forth on Trumpeting Ecstasy.

And if people here haven't heard this record because the lack of exposure vis-a-vis them not being listed on this site, then they are missing out big time. A completely unrelenting violent beating of an album.
_________________
My current rock band:

Paper Machetes

My old metal bands:

Dark Sacrament Cold Blank Stare Coagulated Blood Obliteration

Top
 Profile  
TrachomaSlayer
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:59 pm
Posts: 19
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:35 pm 
 

A couple of people have already mentioned it, which excites me, but Satan's Hallow is definitely debut of the year. It might even be album of the year for me!

Top
 Profile  
tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:05 am
Posts: 4577
Location: Netherlands
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:41 pm 
 

the tengger cavalry album is easily the worst album of this year that ive heard

Top
 Profile  
CradleOfBurzum
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:15 pm
Posts: 420
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:42 pm 
 

Anyone who legitimately thinks "The Forest Seasons" is the worst album of the year (and their blind hatred for Jari isn't influencing their decision), then you need to get your ears checked. It's bad enough that we have plenty of users giving the album a 0% or 10% lowering its overall score in the process (which is those users only goal). The reason why the album got such a low score from them? Oh, simply because they don't like Jari. What makes it worse is that the score they give the album doesn't even represent the music itself.

Also, it looks like Nortt will be having a top 10 album of the year due to the great reviews it's getting, but because of the lame rules for this voting, it's only going to get 3 days of voting eligibility.
_________________
Favorite metal album: Elysian Blaze - Blood Geometry
Favorite metal song: Elysian Blaze - Blood of Ancients, Blood of Hatred
The most epic moment in the history of metal - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbG8LrrfNuY

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 25928
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:03 pm 
 

I have explained multiple times why I dislike the music of The Forest Seasons not counting Jari' s fraudulent and con man behavior. Stop being a baby.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: The Forest, The Cloverfield Paradox

Top
 Profile  
Xenophon
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:07 am
Posts: 695
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:57 pm 
 

Personally I thought Trumpeting Ecstasy was mediocre
At least their live shows are pretty cool. I still think their best record might be one of the noise EPs, specifically the one with the Vietnam war photo or whatever. I mean, I don't think it's *good*, but it's fairly alright, and usually I think their albums are pretty lame.

Re Wintersun: personally, I don't think that just because the music is complex or it sounds professional that it automatically means that album shouldn't get a low rating. I heard a shitload of obscure (not like completely u nknown bands--then I would probably encounter a lot more crap) albums from this year, but it was very rare for them to fall to the low scores, even if most of them were not necessarily good albums. If you are competent musically and have some idea of what you want to do and it's fairly derivative, it's hard to screw up when you're playing it safe. For some reason, it seems like the more established artists are disproportionately more likely to deliberately bend over and take a shit on the metal genre by running with some very crazy and very bad idea.

Top
 Profile  
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:16 am
Posts: 13745
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:01 pm 
 

CradleOfBurzum wrote:
Anyone who legitimately thinks "The Forest Seasons" is the worst album of the year (and their blind hatred for Jari isn't influencing their decision), then you need to get your ears checked.

Or maybe they don't like it as much as you?

CradleOfBurzum wrote:
It's bad enough that we have plenty of users giving the album a 0% or 10% lowering its overall score in the process (which is those users only goal).

There's 20 reviews for the album, with 9 of them over 75%. Focus on those ones and/or write your own.

CradleOfBurzum wrote:
Also, it looks like Nortt will be having a top 10 album of the year due to the great reviews it's getting, but because of the lame rules for this voting, it's only going to get 3 days of voting eligibility.

Then stream it early when it's leaked, listen to it for a week straight, and see how you go. Or don't include it. Or put is just behind Wintersun at #2.

I'm a fairly patient guy but your post is strange. Why are you so salty? Who cares? Vote for Wintersun, nobody will care. Vote for Nortt. I 200% guarantee that BastardHead isn't going to point and laugh at you if you vote for Wintersun. If you love the album you can love it, but you have to understand that people won't love it. No metalhead in the whole world will have reciprocated love for their favourite band/album, and there's absolutely nothing you can do about that.
_________________
My collection
The Lions Den wrote:
Just vegan and faggots melo-tech-death for dad's fancy-ass. Fuck!!!

Top
 Profile  
John_Sunlight
President Satan

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:41 am
Posts: 6373
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:10 pm 
 

tomcat_ha wrote:
the tengger cavalry album is easily the worst album of this year that ive heard

Having listened to both that and Wintersun, I gotta say, I agree. Wintersun is at least interesting in how weird and extreme the music and the drama behind it are (and the fans), whereas nu-Tengger Cavalry is just a sad hollow shell of a once great band.

EDIT: Having been reminded of the MOD album from this year, I have to push Tengger Cavalry to second worst and Wintersun to third.
_________________
"Dave, we have to kill monsters."


Last edited by John_Sunlight on Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
CradleOfBurzum
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:15 pm
Posts: 420
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:24 pm 
 

Just tired of the Wintersun bashing. It gets old after a while. Because it's the "cool" thing to do I guess. But, because there's so much negative publicity around Wintersun, I feel like people are missing out on a really good album, simply because they don't want to get caught listening to and enjoying Wintersun. Not to mention, people already like to bully and make fun of me on here. With the addition of even the mods taking shots at me. Plus, they said I'll get banned if I vote The Forest Seasons at number 1. Which I wouldn't anyway. Nortt will most likely take the number 1 spot.
_________________
Favorite metal album: Elysian Blaze - Blood Geometry
Favorite metal song: Elysian Blaze - Blood of Ancients, Blood of Hatred
The most epic moment in the history of metal - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbG8LrrfNuY

Top
 Profile  
Pitiless Wanderer
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:34 pm
Posts: 278
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:07 pm 
 

Empyreal wrote:

Serious Black - Magic
I've loved urban breed for as long as I've been into metal, and this just killed me. Awful crap.



I agree with this 100%. What the hell happened with this record? It's just a disaster with no redeeming qualities.

Top
 Profile  
Pitiless Wanderer
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:34 pm
Posts: 278
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:27 pm 
 

BastardHead wrote:
FirebathDan wrote:
I think we should stop posting lists in here until after the results are tallied and posted to prevent further submissions from being influenced or prejudiced.


Well that's actually listed in the rules, and so far there's only been one dude to just not care to read them and/or follow them to jack it up really. Discussion is encouraged but posting lists can easily lead to nonsense like the Baseball Hall of Fame where people don't vote for things they really think are the best just because they're already winning and thus can get street cred by writing in obscure votes.


Ah sorry man, not trying to be a dick but you make a false claim. Nowhere in the rules does it say anything forbidding people to post their list in this thread. All it says is "send me your list," which is a vague instruction, and certainly not one that prevents people from listing in the thread itself. If anyone really thinks that posting a list is somehow trying to, or even could, "influence" the result then they probably haven't listened to enough material this year to make their own top 10.

Top
 Profile  
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:30 pm
Posts: 5880
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:42 pm 
 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Serious Black - Magic
I've loved urban breed for as long as I've been into metal, and this just killed me. Awful crap.



I agree with this 100%. What the hell happened with this record? It's just a disaster with no redeeming qualities.

Urban breed just irritates the fuck out of me--he's an excellent vocalist, but the only thing he's ever done that I actually somewhat like is Bloodbound's Tabula Rasa album. Like Tim Owens, he just has an incredible talent for being an awesome singer who attaches himself to the most boring projects imaginable. Yes Emp, that includes Trail of Murder, which I find to be fine but utterly lukewarm. So I never had any expectations for that Serious Black album and was not disappointed when it sucked. :V

(But srsly Urban breed, please join something good.)
_________________
I write anime reviews. They're good for your health!
My Most Recent Review: Mob Psycho 100!
Coming Up Next:
Little Witch Academia
After That: Paprika and Tamako Market

Top
 Profile  
Pitiless Wanderer
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:34 pm
Posts: 278
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:12 pm 
 

Trail of Murder is for sure over rated. His best work is definitely some select songs with Bloodbound and they're awesome songs at that. The guy has a killer voice but man does he struggle writing cool vocal melodies.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 25928
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:22 pm 
 

Bloodbound was good, especially Tabula Rasa, but his best work is Tad Morose - some of the best PM out there with excellent riffs and powerhouse songwriting. Trail of Murder is an amazing old school, early 80s metal album mixed with some modern stuff too. As usual Zelkiiro and I have entirely different definitions of good... no surprise there. Much of his best work isn't exactly flashy or anything - I like it for its cool, sophisticated and engaging songwriting that doesn't feel the need to try anything wacky or circus-esque to be original/attention-grabbing. It's just unpretentious, quality music.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: The Forest, The Cloverfield Paradox

Top
 Profile  
BastardHead
Magic Mike

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 8609
Location: Elgin, Illinois
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:51 pm 
 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
Ah sorry man, not trying to be a dick but you make a false claim. Nowhere in the rules does it say anything forbidding people to post their list in this thread. All it says is "send me your list," which is a vague instruction, and certainly not one that prevents people from listing in the thread itself. If anyone really thinks that posting a list is somehow trying to, or even could, "influence" the result then they probably haven't listened to enough material this year to make their own top 10.


Hm, maybe I didn't make it as clear as I thought. Either way, the intent is to keep it a closed vote (I do specify to PM lists to me) and use the thread for discussion and questions only, which in fairness is exactly how it's been going down so it's not really a big deal. I counted your ballot anyway, but as a message to everybody else, just PM your list to me, it's a lot easier to keep track of. As for influencing the vote, if you remember Slevin last year being a thorn in my side for the entire month of December complaining about the points system and going on about "risk averse" voting strategies, you'd know that some people really are just so fragile in their opinions that they would indeed vote in bad faith if they had something of a clue as to how the vote was going :lol:

CradleOfBurzum wrote:
Anyone who legitimately thinks "The Forest Seasons" is the worst album of the year (and their blind hatred for Jari isn't influencing their decision), then you need to get your ears checked. It's bad enough that we have plenty of users giving the album a 0% or 10% lowering its overall score in the process (which is those users only goal). The reason why the album got such a low score from them? Oh, simply because they don't like Jari. What makes it worse is that the score they give the album doesn't even represent the music itself.

Also, it looks like Nortt will be having a top 10 album of the year due to the great reviews it's getting, but because of the lame rules for this voting, it's only going to get 3 days of voting eligibility.


CradleOfBurzum wrote:
Just tired of the Wintersun bashing. It gets old after a while. Because it's the "cool" thing to do I guess. But, because there's so much negative publicity around Wintersun, I feel like people are missing out on a really good album, simply because they don't want to get caught listening to and enjoying Wintersun. Not to mention, people already like to bully and make fun of me on here. With the addition of even the mods taking shots at me. Plus, they said I'll get banned if I vote The Forest Seasons at number 1. Which I wouldn't anyway. Nortt will most likely take the number 1 spot.


Morrigan herself, the owner of the site, pokes fun at me all the time for being perpetually butthurt in the videogame thread because I'm a massive Final Fantasy geek and she thinks the series has been mostly irredeemable garbage for 20 years, while I also think the Souls games are hugely overrated and she never misses a chance to shower effusive praise all over everything From has touched since Demons' Souls. Do you know what I do when we butt heads over this subject? Not crawl up on my fucking cross and act like the whole site is out to get me.

I'm not banning anybody who votes for an album I don't like because believe it or not I'm not a powermad tyrant hell bent on forcing my own views down everybody's throat and anybody with two working neurons to rub together could see that it was an obvious joke. A whopping one album on my list looks like it'll make the final top ten at this rate and I'm not throwing a fit about it. Every single album Emp listed as being among the worst has votes already. Yes, including Wintersun. And for the record, the venn diagram of people who think a band leader spending three years publicly crying about not being able to release an album he allegedly already finished, eventually raised nearly half a million euros to later release a different album that was already recorded in a home studio in order to circumvent his record contract and buy himself a nice house doesn't in any way effect the perception and artistic integrity of the band/album and the people who spent 50 euros on said already-finished digital-only album and have a victim complex about being called on already making up their minds on how much they would like the album years before it came out are a single overlapping circle. Fuck Wintersun. I'll give them the top spot if they win the vote, but it's not going to change my opinion on the band or album, just like how many people sharing my opinion won't change yours. Get the fuck over it.

And if people really like Nortt, they'll vote for them. Believe me, coming out three days before the year turns isn't my god damned problem, people are going to vote for what they like anyway, regardless when it comes out. Sure sounds to me like you already know where it's going to rank on your list so I don't even know what your point is. The voting period is what it is because nobody is going to want to read a Best Of ranking for 2017 in fucking February the following year. Just like Slevin last year, once again I've got somebody who has publicly stated he isn't even going to vote doing the most bitching about I'm running the vote. Nobody cares. You're pissing in the wind.

tl;dr - Shut up.
_________________
Lair of the Bastard: LATEST REVIEW: QUICK HITS: Condor - Unstoppable Power
The Outer RIM - Uatism: The dogs bark in street slang
ENCYCLOPAEDIA METALLUM ALBUM OF THE YEAR 2017 RESULTS!

Top
 Profile  
Zerberus
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:29 pm
Posts: 1591
Location: Silkeborg, Denmark
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:31 am 
 

About Worst of 2017 I'd be hard pressed to think of any. I tend to skip listening to something that I've got a feeling I wouldn't like, and none of the albums I waited for this year fell short.
_________________
Reviews: http://tonewoodmusic.blogspot.com/
TONEwood music site - Reviews, articles, news and more

Top
 Profile  
Morn Of Solace
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:19 am
Posts: 1150
Location: Italy
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:39 am 
 

Empyreal wrote:

People also tend to say every year was bad until they either find more quality stuff, or until the following year when suddenly they have rose-tinted glasses about the previous one.


Eh, i've been guilty of this several times :lol:

End of the year lists help a lot to restore my optimism: there is always a bunch of good but excessively praised stuff to sift trough, but i've always found great records in every year

Top
 Profile  
CoconutBackwards
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:02 pm
Posts: 251
Location: Walled Lake, MI
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:12 am 
 

CradleOfBurzum wrote:
Also, it looks like Nortt will be having a top 10 album of the year due to the great reviews it's getting, but because of the lame rules for this voting, it's only going to get 3 days of voting eligibility.


I don't understand this at all. The album isn't even out yet and you're concerned with it getting screwed over for AOTY? How can you even know if it's good or not? Maybe, you should be mad at the band for waiting till December 26th to release it?
_________________
GTog:
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Top
 Profile  
FirebathDan
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:32 pm
Posts: 927
Location: Greensboro, NC, US
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:01 am 
 

If anyone is interested, yet unaware, a similar poll for non-metal albums is happening in the Tavern as we speak.
_________________
My current rock band:

Paper Machetes

My old metal bands:

Dark Sacrament Cold Blank Stare Coagulated Blood Obliteration

Top
 Profile  
narsilianshard
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:22 pm
Posts: 1785
Location: Louisville
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:22 am 
 

CoconutBackwards wrote:
CradleOfBurzum wrote:
Also, it looks like Nortt will be having a top 10 album of the year due to the great reviews it's getting, but because of the lame rules for this voting, it's only going to get 3 days of voting eligibility.

I don't understand this at all. The album isn't even out yet and you're concerned with it getting screwed over for AOTY? How can you even know if it's good or not? Maybe, you should be mad at the band for waiting till December 26th to release it?

+1. This is an absurd things to be upset about. If the band gave a shit about year-end lists, they wouldn't release the album at that time. Fanboys are going to add it to their lists either way, but if Nortt doesn't care about such trivial things then why do you?

Top
 Profile  
TrachomaSlayer
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:59 pm
Posts: 19
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:52 am 
 

Zerberus wrote:
About Worst of 2017 I'd be hard pressed to think of any. I tend to skip listening to something that I've got a feeling I wouldn't like, and none of the albums I waited for this year fell short.


Right there with you. Unless I've decided to do a review I usually don't really dig into a record I don't like, which even for a joke list you should probably do before assessing an album.

It's a shame though because we could call the list, "Dishonourable Mentions"

Top
 Profile  
narsilianshard
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:22 pm
Posts: 1785
Location: Louisville
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:49 pm 
 

I rank all the music I buy and I've been second guessing myself since I tend to give so many records a 7 or higher. But I realized I just don't buy crap and generally ignore anything I'm not interested in listening to more than a couple times so I very rarely hate something I invested time/money into. Probably still recovering from the last Twilight Force record.

Top
 Profile  
PeteGas
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:34 pm
Posts: 26
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:08 pm 
 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Urban breed just irritates the fuck out of me--he's an excellent vocalist, but the only thing he's ever done that I actually somewhat like is Bloodbound's Tabula Rasa album. Like Tim Owens, he just has an incredible talent for being an awesome singer who attaches himself to the most boring projects imaginable. Yes Emp, that includes Trail of Murder, which I find to be fine but utterly lukewarm. So I never had any expectations for that Serious Black album and was not disappointed when it sucked. :V

(But srsly Urban breed, please join something good.)


Someone else mentioned it up thread but it’s well worth your time to check out Tad Morose. Matters of the Dark is my favourite from them.

And if you have and didn’t like it then I’m not sure what to say. :D

Top
 Profile  
Sick6Six
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:01 pm
Posts: 1468
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:47 pm 
 

Oddly enough, I think Horn - Turm am Hang ended up being my favorite, after that there's a lot that are too even to decide.

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], John_Sunlight and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group