Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:45 pm 

Welcome, welcome everybody! I know it's a day earlier than I usually like to do it, but I have a lot of family stuff coming up the next few days and will have basically zero computer time, so I'd rather have it up a few hours early than a few days late. But anyway, you know what time it is! It's that time of year again, and once again I will be managing:

THE ENCYCLOPAEDIA METALLUM ALBUM OF THE YEAR POLL

How exactly does this work you ask? Why it's simple! All you need to do is:

Select your top ten:
This is very easy, all you need to do is choose your top ten albums of the year.

PM your top ten, in order, to me, BastardHead:
It's that simple, just make a top ten and send it to me, I'll take care of all the number crunching nonsense!

What happens next is that I will assign each position a point value, grand prix style, so that first place votes are seen as more valuable than second place, and so on. The point values are as follows:

1 = 25 points
2 = 18 points
3 = 15 points
4 = 12 points
5 = 10 points
6 = 8 points
7 = 6 points
8 = 4 points
9 = 2 points
10 = 1 point

That may seem confusing and semi random for people who don't follow F1, but the idea of the point system being set up the way it is is that consistency is valued over a lucky win. So an album with twenty third place votes will fare better than one with ten first place votes. Regardless, we want you to put some good thought into this. Every vote counts! The idea is to get a collective snapshot of what we, as MA forumgoers, see to be the best albums of the year. So give it a lot of thought and let your voice be heard!

As with all things, there are a few guidelines we ask you to follow, but they're all quite simple, common sense rules.

1) METAL ONLY!: This is for the METAL Archives, so it would be really friggin' weird if a bunch of non-metal clogged up the final chart. I don't care how great the new Jess and the Ancient Ones album is, metal only. This will be measured by whether or not a band is on the archives. I don't claim to know every band, but I'll crosscheck ones I don't know against the database here, and if they don't have a page, your whole ballot goes in the internetical trash. This is very simple. The only exception is for bands who are on the archives but released a non-metal album, simply because I'm not about to split hairs and listen to every single album myself to make sure they all qualify. So to make it easy: An album like Opeth's soft stuff is eligible, but Kvelertak is not.

2) Make sure you vote for ten albums: If you can't think of ten great albums from this year, you don't really have any place deciding what was the best of the year.

3) Put your list in order: I'm assigning point values, it's important that they're in order. If you just give me something alphabetically with no determined ordering, I'll either just discard the entire ballot or change every vote to the new Satan's Sperm album out of spite. In the event of a tie, the album with more higher placed votes counts, so an album with ten votes all for fourth place will rank above one with a hundred and twenty votes only for tenth place, so please, order them!

4) New, original material only: So no live albums or compilations or anything like that. This is simply so no pointless "best of" release or something shows up. Those are never in play unless it's something totally rerecorded and treated as a new release, which to my knowledge is extremely rare, and if there is such a case that you loved and want to vote for, just use your best judgment as to whether or not it's a standalone release or simply a "best of" collection with a new vocalist or something. So full lengths, demos, EPs, splits, etc. are all fair game. Live albums, comps, box sets, rereleases, deluxe editions, etc. are not.

5) Only albums actually released in 2017: This should go without saying but I want to make it clear just in case. Be sure it actually came out this year, if you vote for Summoning's 2018 album because it was leaked in November, I will invent a way to slap you through your monitor.

6) One ballot per user: Again, should go without saying, but don't try to vote multiple times to inflate the numbers. I will notice and I'll just wipe your whole vote if you decide to be a numbskull.

7) Your account must have been registered before this thread was created: This shouldn't apply to pretty much all of you, but it's just to prevent duplicate sockpuppet accounts trying to game the system. Don't do that.

8) Don't be a dick: We're running on the honor system here, and I obviously can't police the intentions of everybody who votes, but please don't be a troll who votes in a bunch of crap you've never heard of for yuks. Nor should you vote in things you actually think are terrible as some weird form of protest. Nor should you vote the same album ten times. Nor should you vote for something your own band released. We're trusting you to take this seriously enough to have fun with this but not act like an idiot, just use common sense and don't waste our time.

And that's all there is to it! This thread is open for questions, simple discussion and nothing more. No pimping out your own band in order to get more people to notice or anything like that, no trying to influence the vote in any weird way or anything like that. But if you want to say "Hey guys, if you liked the new Vomit Sodomy record, be sure to check out the new Goat Fucking Moonpocalypse too!" or something, that's more than welcome! The more people know about great albums, the better! The whole idea here is to get a snapshot of how MA feels and hopefully to introduce everybody to some great stuff they may not have heard of before.

Also, just for fun and to shine some light on the fresh faces in the scene, there will also be an optional side vote for:

DEBUT OF THE YEAR

You don't have to vote for this if you don't want to, but if you'd like to, you can also include ONE (1) vote for debut of the year. A valid debut is considered the same as above: new original material in any format. As long as it's their FIRST of the type. So a band's first ever release is obviously okay, but say a band has a demo that got them noticed and signed, and just released a full length debut this year, that full length would also count as long as it was released in 2017. ONLY VOTE FOR ONE OF THESE. Again, it's just a fun sidebar, and not required (though last year we had a comparatively piddly amount of votes for this, but I really like the idea so I'm going for it again but encourage people a little bit harder to actually vote for it.

Polls are open until January 1st, 2018, MA time (so Eastern, or GMT -05:00), feel free to send me your votes whenever you feel comfortable with your list and I will post the results as soon as I can after they close, likely within the week. Have fun and happy voting!
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:33 pm 

This is always my favourite! I usually compile my metal and non-metal lists around mid December. Doing some massive re-listening the next few weeks!

burnroasted
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:08 am 

Lunar Shadow - Far From Light is my debut of the year. I'll try to make a top ten list later.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:30 am 

2017 picked up steam about a month ago, but the first 9 months were just miserable. A disappointing year as a whole, but I've got a few straggling releases to wait for before compiling the official list.

CradleOfBurzum
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:31 am 

Top 10 albums of the year? I'm pretty sure I haven't even listened to ten 2017 releases. A top 5 or top 3 would be far more amicable in this situation.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:44 am 

Anybody who puts Wintersun in their Top 3 is banned anyway.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:48 am 

Awesome, I was looking forward to this. This year has been weird for me as there have been so many albums that I have enjoyed, but few that have really stood out to me. Definitely excited to see the final results.

Lolpah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:03 am 

Can I just ask, why do the polls close immediately when the year ends? Isn't it kinda shitty if someone releases a really good album on January the 31st but nobody puts it on their list because they just didn't have time to listen to it properly, and they can't put it on next year's list either. OK, maybe this is just hypothetical and has never actually happened but it just bothers me slightly.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:32 am 

BastardHead wrote:

:lol:

This thread has been a resounding success since it's been brought back. The MA community has easily provided the best year end round up for quality metal imo. So suck on that all you shitty publications and webzines.

Anyways, I'll see y'all right before the deadline. My list won't be compiled and submitted til the end of December.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:35 am 

Lolpah wrote:
Can I just ask, why do the polls close immediately when the year ends? Isn't it kinda shitty if someone releases a really good album on January the 31st but nobody puts it on their list because they just didn't have time to listen to it properly, and they can't put it on next year's list either. OK, maybe this is just hypothetical and has never actually happened but it just bothers me slightly.

If it came out January 31st, then it will be eligible for next year's poll. ;3

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:53 am 

Does Obskuritatem - Vampirska Kakofonija count? The first three songs were released as a demo last year (which is why it's listed as a 2016 release), but the other five songs (i.e. the majority of the album) are new, and were put on the full-length version of the album from this year. It's debatable whether the full-length version is a compilation, extended version, just its own lp, or what have you.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:38 am 

Lolpah wrote:

Well, that happened to Batushka a year ago and then Shadow Host before then. Sometimes it happens, and if it does, that's a bummer but c'est la vie. I personally think it's a bit early to start lists like this myself but I know a lot or people get theirs done really early, and many labels don't bother with December releases entirely for this reason (ogmetal made a comment about this in the Decibel thread), so that's why the polling period is an entire month long. Some people get it done really early and many labels don't bother with releases this late in the year anyway, so it satisfies the early birds and causes minimal headache for the ones who wait. I personally don't really get mine sorted out until a week or two before the year closes.

Xenophon wrote:
Does Obskuritatem - Vampirska Kakofonija count? The first three songs were released as a demo last year (which is why it's listed as a 2016 release), but the other five songs (i.e. the majority of the album) are new, and were put on the full-length version of the album from this year. It's debatable whether the full-length version is a compilation, extended version, just its own lp, or what have you.

Without looking into it too deeply (since I'm just on the toilet at work and can't really investigate) as long as it's a 2017 release in some form it doesn't really matter. There was a band I had on my own list last year (The Infernal Sea) who technically debuted their album in 2015 but it was only sold locally at their shows, whereas in 2016 it got an actual worldwide release through Candlelight. Something like that is an acceptable exception to me, because it basically didn't exist outside of one town in England until last year.

Now if you're asking about eligibility for Debut of the Year, if it's their first full length it'll count, regardless of previous demos.

Oh wait shit I only now realized you're asking if it's a compilation. Well I guess as long as the demo tracks are rerecorded and not just demo quality songs slapped onto the beginning of an album that sounds different it's okay? I'll check it a bit later and see what's up.

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:43 am 

Just double checking if I understood that correctly...so if a band has an EP out already and has debuted with a full-length this year, I can submit the full-length as a debut of the year?
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:50 am 

damn I gotta refresh my memory on some of these, I've only listened to a little over 100 releases this year

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:16 am 

TheWaltzer wrote:
Just double checking if I understood that correctly...so if a band has an EP out already and has debuted with a full-length this year, I can submit the full-length as a debut of the year?

Yeah, as long as it's the first of whatever type. Sort of like how Scream Bloody Gore is obviously seen as Death's debut despite the fact that they had like forty dozen demos before then.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:43 am 

Awesome! The MA top 10 is always MUCH more interesting than most facebook forums because MA actually enforces some sort of rules. The largest metal group I'm part of on Facebook always votes the most well-known album to top spot because most voters haven't actually listened to anything. Not entirely unlike real life voting.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:37 am 

BastardHead wrote:
THE ENCYCLOPAEDIA METALLUM ALBUM OF THE YEAR POLL

Really cool, thanks! :beer:

BastardHead wrote:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:01 pm 

I'm sure I'll end up doing one, there have been a lot of great albums this year. I can fill mine up with all the bands I have been waiting over six years to release shit who finally did this year.

Cianan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:26 pm 

Sweet! I still have a lot of listening to do in order to narrow a list down. Love how these lists have turned out in the past.

CradleOfBurzum
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:33 pm 

Bit childish to take a cheap shot at Wintersun's new album this year, despite it actually being one of the best metal albums of the year.

Also unfair for Nortt's new album which comes out on the 29th of December. There will already be a full month of voting by the time the album comes out. Despite the new album possibly being the album of the year for many people. Extend the voting deadline to the 7th of January or something like that.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:39 pm 

BastardHead wrote:

I love you more everyday, BastardHead.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:06 pm 

CradleOfBurzum wrote:
Top 10 albums of the year? I'm pretty sure I haven't even listened to ten 2017 releases. A top 5 or top 3 would be far more amicable in this situation.

Quote:
Bit childish to take a cheap shot at Wintersun's new album this year, despite it actually being one of the best metal albums of the year.

So you haven't even heard 10 albums but are sure Wintersun's is one of the best of the year?

I HAVE heard more than 10 - I'm having trouble even narrowing down a top 10 for this year - and I can safely say Wintersun is by far and easily the worst album this year.

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:25 pm 

I don’t know if I’ll contribute but I am psyched for the cumulative list

CradleOfBurzum
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:41 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
CradleOfBurzum wrote:

Quote:

So you haven't even heard 10 albums but are sure Wintersun's is one of the best of the year?

I HAVE heard more than 10 - I'm having trouble even narrowing down a top 10 for this year - and I can safely say Wintersun is by far and easily the worst album this year.

If one of your favorite bands put out the same exact album Wintersun did, you wouldn't be saying that. But, of course, people get the whole, "DUR I HATE JARI!" in their head and can't look past that when they're listening to the music.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:47 pm 

but the new solstice isnt out yet

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:51 pm 

CradleOfBurzum wrote:
If one of your favorite bands put out the same exact album Wintersun did, you wouldn't be saying that. But, of course, people get the whole, "DUR I HATE JARI!" in their head and can't look past that when they're listening to the music.

If Immolation put out "The Forest Seasons" I'm pretty sure people would still say it sucked.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:11 pm 

CradleOfBurzum wrote:

No, The Forest Seasons has everything I dislike about music in it. Its very ethos and style are the things I hate in metal music. Jari's ridiculous behavior sure made it more visible though, as I probably wouldn't have known about it at all if not for that.

But honestly it was just a dickish joke about how silly it is for you to get so butthurt about any little comment about Wintersun and to make all these posts in here when you admit you haven't heard 10 albums this year. Learn to take a fucking joke and lighten up a bit.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:30 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Learn to take a fucking joke and lighten up a bit.

Don't hold your breath.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:54 pm 

CradleOfBurzum wrote:

I feel the need to chime in just to say that I don't give even half a shit about Jari's behavior and still think The Forest Seasons sucks massive balls. I tried my best to get into it several times but the thing is - there's really nothing to get into.
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:57 pm 

If one of my favorite bands put out The Forest Seasons, the entire fucking year would be dead to me.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:59 pm 

Just wondering if anyone organizes a "non-metal" one in the Tavern? I'd love to participate in that, as well, but I don't want to be the one to start the thread because a.) I don't want to take away from someone else if it's always done and b.) I don't know if I'd be able to keep up with the voting tally.

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing the first posts here for folks that are already compiling their lists.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:33 am 

jimbies wrote:
Just wondering if anyone organizes a "non-metal" one in the Tavern? I'd love to participate in that, as well, but I don't want to be the one to start the thread because a.) I don't want to take away from someone else if it's always done and b.) I don't know if I'd be able to keep up with the voting tally.

Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing the first posts here for folks that are already compiling their lists.

Yeah, that's actually an interesting idea. It would probably be way harder to vet each release and I imagine the variety would be pretty ridiculous. You would probably end up with some albums in the top 10 that only appeared on 3 or 4 lists.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:53 am 

^ Yeah, I'm sure a poll based thread wouldn't work for that reason, but a simple post/discuss your top 10 would be fun.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:40 am 

CradleOfBurzum wrote:

So vote for it. BastardHead was 150% joking.

CradleOfBurzum wrote:
Also unfair for Nortt's new album which comes out on the 29th of December. There will already be a full month of voting by the time the album comes out. Despite the new album possibly being the album of the year for many people. Extend the voting deadline to the 7th of January or something like that.

This top 10 list has no bearing whatsoever on the future of metal. It's a bit of fun. If Nortt does bring out the best album of 2017, so be it. You can still think that. But this particular poll is just harmless fun and Nortt will be none-the-wiser of his omission here. Okay? ;)

I was quite prolific this year for some reason and could easily do a top 30 (which I might do for another thread), so I'm keen to do a top 10.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:20 pm 

Loved this idea last year and think it's great you guys decided to bring it back.
Forest Seasons best sauna album of the year!

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:02 pm 

Geez, I had better get around to finishing up rating my 2017 haul. I only have 4.

Can't wait to see how this turns out. In past years, the list has produced some shocking results, and some good recommendations. I remember reeling over Vektor's Terminal Redux, an album that I felt generous in calling mediocre, winning handily last year.

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:19 am 

I could probably whip up a top 10 now but I'll wait until after Autopsy's new album drops in a couple of weeks. I haven't heard an album this year that's really blown me away so it could easily make the list. I should probably be on the look out for a couple more debut albums though, I've only heard the one. Fortunately it's good enough to warrant a vote but I don't really want a "De-fault! De-fault!" situation.

It'd be interesting to also see nominations for song of the year, because my current pick (Intra Venus by Ne Obliviscaris) is not representative of my album choices. I'm guessing this would be far to much work and likely every song nominated will only get one vote but you never know.

edit: oh that Autopsy album is only an EP...

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:10 am 

I know the OP says to PM the list, but hopefully people post them here as well so that I can see the individual lists.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:38 am 

wrathchild_88 wrote:
edit: oh that Autopsy album is only an EP...

EPs are still valid ya know, unless it's a personal thing for yourself. As long as it's new original material (so no live albums, covers albums, best-of comps, etc) it's good.

jimbies wrote:
I know the OP says to PM the list, but hopefully people post them here as well so that I can see the individual lists.

Let's keep that to the results thread. Discussing stuff like we've been doing it totally fine but I like keeping the lists themselves as more of a "secret ballot" type thing in the interest of anticipation and potentially influencing other lists.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:40 am 

jimbies wrote:

There was a separate results thread last year. I assume there will be one again this time. Most of us waited until then.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next