Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:48 am 

Just noticed that Taake is releasing a new album in a few days! Anyone else excited?

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/T ... ter/672916

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:21 am 

no. not at all. taake are truly one of the most boring and useless "bigger" BM bands around, who can't write a single great riff. they sucked when they were still called thule, and they sucked when they became taake.
no thanks.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:46 am 

I've always liked what Taake has done since I bought Hordalands doedskvad a few years back. To me, that one was the most memorable but I did not spend a lot of time with the others. I'll definitely be checking this out though.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:46 am 

into_the_pit wrote:
no. not at all. taake are truly one of the most boring and useless "bigger" BM bands around, who can't write a single great riff. they sucked when they were still called thule, and they sucked when they became taake.
no thanks.

That's like saying Emperor has no atmosphere. Seriously- Taake, boring riffs?

Can't wait for the new release!

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:55 am 

hoping for another epic banjo solo

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:23 pm 

Unorthodox wrote:
into_the_pit wrote:
no thanks.

That's like saying Emperor has no atmosphere. Seriously- Taake, boring riffs?

Can't wait for the new release!

A head-scratcher indeed. The opening riff of Nattestid ser porten vid is iconic! Taake has always been a favorite of mine. It's my go to band when I crave that pure black metal sound. Their last album was no more than decent though. Hoping for an improvement.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:36 pm 

into_the_pit wrote:
who can't write a single great riff.

Well, this is objectively not true.
Also, not that excited, taake's latest three LPs have been hit-or-miss, with Noregs vaapen being the only good one so far.

Warty_basaloid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:15 pm 

Last album was my least favourite, hope this will be better again.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:01 pm 

Unorthodox wrote:
Seriously- Taake, boring riffs?

yes. I just listened to the whole song, and I'm remembering nothing about it right afterward, except thinking during the opening riff "someone's trying to deliver an epic riff, but the progression feels somehow inorganic to me".

blackmantram wrote:
into_the_pit wrote:
who can't write a single great riff.

Well, this is objectively not true.

no, your statement is objectively not true because "a great riff" is a highly subjective attribution. my statement still stands as subjectively true to me, because I have listened to everything by taake and thule and liked exactly nothing about it.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:20 pm 

into_the_pit wrote:
my statement still stands as subjectively true to me, because I have listened to everything by taake and thule and liked exactly nothing about it.

If it bores you so much why did you listen to all of his albums? You'd think you would have figured out by the third one or so that it's not interesting to you.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:24 pm 

Sound like a giant waste of time to listen to an entire discography without enjoying 1 second of it. :scratch:

Anyway, I'm not too excited. I considered making a thread about the new releases (EP + album), but it's just not that big of an anticipation for me. And that's saying a lot, because Taake might be in my top 5 black metal bands of all time. I think "Nattestid" through "Hordalands doedskvad" is black metal bliss. The self-titled was very boring, "Noregs vaapen" picked up some energy, but "Stridens hus" was the same boring trite again.
I listened to the 2 songs that are available for the new album, and they're just a continuation of "Stridens hus". VERY bad production and just a pile of riffs with no real structure behind it.

I think Hoest is just bored with it at this point, and it shows.

Here is exciting and powerful Taake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2DuFLCsdwk
Here is bored and phoned-in Taake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D9Lfmd1ZJo

Notice the bad production in the latter. It's not "nekro-kvlt-trve bad production", but actually shitty.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:51 pm 

I'm surprised at some reactions here. did I offend any fanboys in here?
I've been listening to BM for almost 25 years, so it's not a big thing to know all the discographies of all the big players. and it's gotten way easier to do so with the rise of the internet.
I also try to stay open-minded to new music, so sometimes I even check new releases by older bands that have lost the spark long ago in my book (or who never had it, like thule/taake). just for the sake of it and, you know, sometimes and somewhere there might be an unexpected gem hiding among the tripe.
sometimes I also revisit discographies to see if maybe my taste has changed, because at least my taste is subject to change and not eternally carved in stone. this has never been the case with taake though.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:01 pm 

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows wrote:
into_the_pit wrote:
my statement still stands as subjectively true to me, because I have listened to everything by taake and thule and liked exactly nothing about it.

If it bores you so much why did you listen to all of his albums? You'd think you would have figured out by the third one or so that it's not interesting to you.

I was going to point out exactly the same, it sounded so silly it made me chuckle.

into_the_pit wrote:
"a great riff" is a highly subjective attribution.

That's not entirely correct. I could say something like "In my opinion Tonny Iommy hasn't been able to put out a great riff in his entire career" and that wouldn't mean I would be absolutely wrong.

Last edited by blackmantram on Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:02 pm 

As a (former?) fanboy I'm not offended at all. I just find it slightly amusing that you listen to everything they released without liking any of it :). I mean, I could understand it if you like one or two songs, which then motivated you to listen on. I like some early Metallica, so that motivated me to listen to all their later album, none of which I liked. But you say that you like literally nothing Taake has released, so why bother? What made you think that the next song you checked out would be "the one" if they had nothing to begin with?

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:05 pm 

into_the_pit wrote:
I'm surprised at some reactions here. did I offend any fanboys in here?

lol just a difference in opinion. I really like folk-influenced black metal like him, early Falkenbach, etc. But admittedly Taake's last album was lacking so we'll see about this one.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:15 pm 

raumr wrote:
As a (former?) fanboy I'm not offended at all. I just find it slightly amusing that you listen to everything they released without liking any of it :). I mean, I could understand it if you like one or two songs, which then motivated you to listen on. I like some early Metallica, so that motivated me to listen to all their later album, none of which I liked. But you say that you like literally nothing Taake has released, so why bother? What made you think that the next song you checked out would be "the one" if they had nothing to begin with?

Hope springs eternal? I've never been a fan of Taake but I usually give their stuff a listen when it comes out. There's a few bands like this for me. It's partly because multiple people whose opinions I respect have said they are good so there's the thought that I may indeed just be missing something, there's the fact that it's a venerable band that hasn't sold out or gone bonkers so they deserve at least some respect and acknowledgement, and it's partly just to keep tabs on what's going on the black metal universe.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:23 pm 

I love the hell out of the new track. For how grim and evil Taake often is, I love how bouncy and catchy they/he usually are at the same time. Such crazy weird riffs that somehow work so well.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:40 pm 

Razakel wrote:
I love the hell out of the new track. For how grim and evil Taake often is, I love how bouncy and catchy they/he usually are at the same time. Such crazy weird riffs that somehow work so well.

Haven't heard the new track yet but I will check it out when I get the chance. This is always what I loved about Taake as well though, fun catchy riffs that are almost playful, yet can still be categorized as black metal.

DecemberSoul
Mirties Metafora

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:49 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
The opening riff of Nattestid ser porten vid is iconic!

I clearly remember how immediately impressed - overwhelmed even - I was when I played it for the first time.

Time passed, and Nattestid contributed to my verdict that an album isn't good at all if its opening moments/opening track is the highlight of the album.

A Backwards 6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:10 pm 

Listened to first three albums, watched a good concert on yt and now I wait in eager anticipation. :D Taake is usually 3-4 good-amazing songs per album. Better than many other Bm bands.

YADF
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:45 pm 

Just finished first listen. A big step up from Stridens Hus. On par with Noregs Vaapen. Satisfied.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:09 pm 

I finished my first listen just now as well. It's... not as bad as I feared. "Inntrenger" as a song works much better in the context of the album than a song on its own.
The riffs are good (as expected) and they still suffer a bit from being "piles of riffs" with no real structure, but now Hoest is using that as an advantage. They are almost experimental on this album, suddenly changing and playing around with strange drum patterns and weird riffs.

All in all, better than "Stridens hus" and "Taake", but still not on par with the Trilogy or "Noregs vaapen". The last three tracks were the best so far.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:57 pm 

I've listened once, and of course these albums take more than one listen, but the only track that stuck with me was the closer.

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:38 am 

Taake is considered a genre legend for a reason. Can't wait to give this a spin!

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:05 am 

I really enjoyed the self-titled & "Noregs Vaapen" but unfortunately the last album "Stridens Hus" never grabbed me in the same way. I can't remember a single riff or moment from that album, other than that I thought it was "pretty good" upon release. That said - Taake can do no wrong, I really love Hoest's ability to both stay true to tradition while also thinking outside the box and pushing the envelope - it's the perfect balance. I will make sure to pick up this CD and probably dig the last one out again to give it another shot, at some point in the near future.

Warty_basaloid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:20 pm 

After a first listen, not sure if I find it much more exciting than the last one.

TooBrute
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:57 pm 

I'm beyond excited, I personally thought "Stridens Hus" was an amazing album!

DomineEgoSumDignus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:54 pm 

I thought it was pretty good. There were a lot of parts that started to feel really good, but then they switched to something more boring again. Overall, I was on the edge of liking it a lot, but in the end I just thought it was fine. I might return to it again later. I liked Noregs vaapen a lot.

MRmehman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:05 am 

Could never really get into Taake but I look forward to trying again with this album.

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:38 pm 

Great album. Not as majestic as the first few albums but there's enough going on to keep things interesting.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:42 pm 

the first three will never be touched, i don't know, i kind of found the new one pretty underwhelming sadly.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:29 am 

pfk505 wrote:
Taake is considered a genre legend for a reason. Can't wait to give this a spin!

well, let's not hurl around the word 'legend' willy-nilly. They're mostly good though. I'm with most people in this thread regarding Taake - thought s/t and what I heard of Stridens hus to be lacking so I'm waiting to hear how this one lands as far as general consensus goes.

I'm actually not a big Nattestid worshiper though. I really like three tracks off it and the rest kind of blends together. I could taake or leaave it. I'm more of a Bjoergvin/Doedskvad/Noregs guy.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:48 am 

Nattestid has that amazing drummer/bass player, i love his performance more than a good portion of the guitar riffs :)

I agree with Chaosmonger tough. Doedskvad in particular is a really strong album riff-wise, i overlooked it for far too long

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:01 am 

MRmehman wrote:
Could never really get into Taake.

Same here.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:59 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
MRmehman wrote:
Could never really get into Taake.

Same here.

Also same. The banjo song was cool though.

TooBrute
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:37 pm 

Is anyone else disappointed that the last two tracks on the new album Kong Vinter are both instrumentals?

Maanebrent & Fra Bjoergegrend Mot Glemselen are the two longest tracks on the album making the final 18 minutes of the album mostly instrumental

Personally I am usually a fan of when bands choose to include instrumentals to their albums but in this case in my opinion it doesn't work

Fra Bjoergegrend Mot Glemselen does not sound like it was written to be instrumentals and because so ends up sounding hollow without vocals

Fra Bjoergegrend Mot Glemselen is way too long and way too all over the place to justify not including vocals

What's really confusing is the first two minutes of Maanebrent does have vocals but the remaining six minutes does not?

It almost feels like Hoest just got lazy and decided it would just be easier to not write vocals for these song, but in my opinion it kills the flow of the album

Warty_basaloid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:41 am 

After giving it another listen I like it better than Stridens hus but it still contains too many parts that just drag on.

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:49 pm 

Taake's definitely cooled off a bit since the masterpieces that were their first three albums, but a song off the new album I checked out has more bite to the production than I've heard from them in a while. I'll give this a shot and probably buy it too since I have all their previous albums and I like being a dumb completist.

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:13 pm 

Chaosmonger wrote:
pfk505 wrote:

well, let's not hurl around the word 'legend' willy-nilly. They're mostly good though. I'm with most people in this thread regarding Taake - thought s/t and what I heard of Stridens hus to be lacking so I'm waiting to hear how this one lands as far as general consensus goes.

I'm actually not a big Nattestid worshiper though. I really like three tracks off it and the rest kind of blends together. I could taake or leaave it. I'm more of a Bjoergvin/Doedskvad/Noregs guy.

Yeah I probably overdid it a bit with that, I'd still put him in the upper echelons at least on the basis of his first three albums.

That said, new album was no better than the last two. It's in that category of "listened once, moderately enjoyed, probably will never listen again," which is a rather large one for me.

c_
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:06 am 

Legend or not, to me Hoest plays a very important role in contemorary black metal.

As a live performer, I would say he is unmatched at the moment. A while back, there was a thread asking who is the best live black metal vocalist and while I didn't bother posting in that thread, when reading the title, Hoest was the natural choice and I'd contend that anyone who has seen Taake or any other Hoest-fronted band (within the past few years) would agree or at least support the notion that he is damn impressive. His energy and stage presence are quite the marvel. If anyone who hasn't had a chance to see Taake live yet gets the chance, don't pass it up.

Hoest is also in a way a torch-bearer for black metal. He embodies the aesethic of the genre in his showmanship. He masterfully walks the fine line between taking the genre and subject matter very seriouslyl and not coming across as ridiculous in doing so. He harkens back to the old-school while at the same time remaining oddly progressive. He is one of the few acts of the modern times who still wears corpse paint while not looking like a clown or a hollywood-horror-film reject and in these days where black metal is becoming more and more diluted by pussies, his attitude, gall and, simply put, balls serve as a reminder that black metal is still rooted in strength and pride.

I have a great respect for Hoest and what he does for the genre and that being said I must confess that I've always found his music to be a bit disappointing. His discography has undeniably great songs sprinkled here and there but I don't think there has yet been a genuinly great Taake album. The vocals have always been great but I've always found the riffs to be somewhat strange... too long and overly complicated if that makes sense. Forced and non-organic perhaps. I've always liked the albums/ projects where Hoest only provides the vocals more, like Blackdoor Miracle for example.

I have not gotten around to listening to Kong Vinter yet.

Reply to topic