Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:59 pm 

I'm very surprised there isn't a thread about this yet!

"Down Below" track listing:

01. The Lament
02. Nightbound
03. Lady Death
04. Subterranea
05. Purgatorio
06. Cries From The Underworld
07. Lacrimosa
08. The World
01. Here Be Dragons
10. Come, Become, To Be (bonus track)

First song is out, as well:

PurpleDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:39 pm 

Super ready for this. The Children of the Night was one of my favorite albums of 2015. Gave it a spin earlier today when I heard about the new one and it still holds up.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:12 pm 

Nice. Love that song. Seems like the new album isn't going to be a similarly big evolutionary step like The Children of the Night and The Formulas of Death were. Could be a good thing though. I don't see how they could have distilled their sound further without changing the core that has been present since The Horror. Looking forward to the whole thing.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:25 pm 

I absolutely love this music video.

g_k
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:18 pm 

it's clear this is the style they have evolved too, not a bad thing, but i do prefer the old death metal hah. anyway, logical progression from their last album really, decent song.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:56 pm 

A+ cover art! Sets the mood... for a ghoulish night. The music does a good job of this as well.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:14 pm 

Yeah, it seems like they've finally settled with a gothic death metal sound. They certainly occupy a unique and kind of refreshing niche in gothic metal, and while I definitely did like The Formulas of Death, it had the same problem as something like Once Was Not in that it simply had too many ideas coupled with inconsistent execution.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:22 am 

Interesting. Children of the Night didn't stir my soul quite like The Formulas of Death, but you could tell they were working on something. This song sounds like they may have figured it out, maybe? To be honest the more it goes on, the more it sounds like Children of the Night to me. I don't really hear much heavy metal left in it at all. Some kind of goth rock with snarling vocals?

I agree that The Formulas of Death was too long, and not focused enough. But that's also where a lot of the magic comes from, I think. It sounded like they had tapped into some kind of creative force that they could barely control, much less restrain. The album is overbursting with ideas, but all of them fucking RULE. I always hoped they'd find a way to dial that in just a hair. But no, they immediately traded it in for some kind of goth rock thing.

StainedClass95
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:31 pm 

^ That second part is about how I feel. FoD was too long, but it wasn't stuffed with garbage, they just had a lot of good ideas and couldn't figure out how to prioritize them. Children of the Night and now this are basically just disappointments to me. I'm sure they're doing this well, and they're not bad, but I'd much, much rather hear their old sound than a variant of goth.

The cover's great though, I'll give them that.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:00 pm 

Another new track has been released:

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:11 pm 

Sounds exactly like the last album. I think my interest in this band has run its course. I hope they make a mint off this stuff. It's real boring though.

Pelata
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:02 pm 

I will definitely look into this one...

Runko
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:44 pm 

Sounds as expected: like In Solitude's "Sister" with harsher vocals.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:50 am 

New song:

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:48 am 

Dembo wrote:
New song:

Love this one. I really really love The Lament, and The World. The one they released in between did nothing for me, but I'm still super excited for this.

Dr_Prozac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:50 pm 

I guess that most of you will be dissapointed that they aren't back to the DM of the first albums, but I couldn't be happier. Children of the Night is an álbum I can't stop listening, I am glad that they are sticking to that gothic style. I am totally looking forward to this.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:01 pm 

Dembo wrote:
New song:

Someone tell me from what song is that melody/riff from! Starts at 2:37, it's identical to a song I know I just recently listened but can't put my finger on it.

Rosner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:19 pm 

The album is AMAZING! A great gothic rock/metal record with a more straightforward approach than the one in 'The Children of the Night'. Looking forward to attending one of their shows this year.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:49 pm 

Just had my first full listen. It's... fine. There's nothing here that wasn't already on Children of the Night. It's basically the same record with a slightly more confident approach. But I guess I wasn't a huge fan of that one either so it's just the style I'm not a fan of. At least their first two will always be untouchable.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:13 pm 

I dig it, kinda. I'm not super into it. I feel like they released 2 of the 3 best songs before the album dropped (The Lament / The World, with the third best being Nightbound). I'm sure some of it will grow, but it didn't grab me like the others right away. And i love the "children of the night" record.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:11 am 

I'd never heard of this band until the other day so I chucked this new album on... it's good. Nothing mind blowing, but it's a good catchy album with nice gothic overtones etc etc. Will listen again for sure.

Bishop_Drugsalot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:10 am 

Bishop_Drugsalot wrote:
Dembo wrote:
New song:

Someone tell me from what song is that melody/riff from! Starts at 2:37, it's identical to a song I know I just recently listened but can't put my finger on it.

Guys, I figured it out. It's Grizzly Bear's Yet Again main riff.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:00 am 

So I've been through this album twice now and the only track that I remember anything vaguely about is Lacrimosa. I actually enjoyed the direction they went in with The Children of the Night quite a bit and was also hoping they would perfect the sound on this album.

Instead what happened is Cloak released the real follow-up last year in To Venomous Depths. Seriously, this album is twice as memorable even after only one listen.

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:00 am 

I will respectfully disagree with you, EpicSceptic, but it's simply a matter of opinion, I suppose. I gave the new Tribulation one spin and this is much catchier than both The Children Of The Night and that Cloak album (which wasn't bad, mind you, but definitely overlong). The chorus of Subterranea, the gothic overtones in The World, that fantastic solo in the closing track... many moments that stayed with me. Really good album, though simplistic, but with a consistent thread of subtle genius.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

eViLbOrIs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:35 pm 

I didn't much cotton to Children of the Night. Gripped me from the start and then attention would wane as the album dragged on. It's a good sound, but not large enough of a range of musical dynamics to sustain it over 50+ minutes, especially with vocals that never really hit any highs or lows.

This album addresses several of those issues. It's shorter as a whole and each song has a more distinct identity. To me this is a slightly more musically sophisticated version of Ghost, with harsh vocals. I like Ghost very much, and often wish their music had just a liiiiiiittle more depth to hold my interest across repeated listens, so I'm fine with this. So far it's not exactly on my AOTY radar, but it's very good and has grower potential.

Edit: Still, as much as I enjoy this, I think what would take Tribulation to the next level would be a 50%/50% style combination betwixt Down Below and their second album, the name of which escapes me at the moment.
Good trades with: Satan_Laughs (x2), thrashbeast, jthompson (x2), Groanofthewind, Mantis44 (x2), Decry, Igor, Kelibat, Madcow, Vakshay, Mespheber, Lord_Domitian, orionmetalhead, J, mightypeniz, Jacobo123 etc...

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:32 pm 

Didn't like this album that much, and I'm a big fan of Tribulation. Sounds too watered down for me. Children of the Night is my favorite album of theirs, but this is just a forgettable gothic album to me...

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:51 pm 

TheWaltzer wrote:
I will respectfully disagree with you, EpicSceptic, but it's simply a matter of opinion, I suppose. I gave the new Tribulation one spin and this is much catchier than both The Children Of The Night and that Cloak album (which wasn't bad, mind you, but definitely overlong). The chorus of Subterranea, the gothic overtones in The World, that fantastic solo in the closing track... many moments that stayed with me. Really good album, though simplistic, but with a consistent thread of subtle genius.

I'll echo this opinion. It's pretty safe but the tunes are damn good and full of memorable moments... Quality stuff! :)

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:18 pm 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PurpleDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:38 pm 

My copy finally arrived; I've listened a couple times and so far it's more an album of moments than songs. Some of the songs on the previous album took some time to grow on me, so I'm willing to give it some room, but as of now I'd say that Down Below isn't as good. Still good on the whole, though!

YouWereMYGhost
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:12 pm 

This record is a fucking ripper for sure. I'm just kinda getting into this band for real in the past year even though I've been aware of their existence for some time. I think they're absolutely incredible and look forward to moving through their records one by one. Cheers for Tribulation on a solid record!

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:39 pm 

I am enjoying it. Nice laid back album.

Reply to topic