Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:16 am 

I've enjoyed the last three albums as well as the debut so I'll be picking this one up. Pre-order started today, but so far I've only seen digital, no physical yet.

Quote:
San Francisco Bay Area metallers MACHINE HEAD will release their ninth full-length album, "Catharsis", on January 26, 2018 via Nuclear Blast. The follow-up to 2014's "Bloodstone & Diamonds" was recorded with Zack Ohren (FALLUJAH, ALL SHALL PERISH) at Sharkbite Studios in Oakland, California.

"Catharsis" track listing:

01. Volatile
02. Catharsis
03. Beyond The Pale
04. California Bleeding
05. Triple Beam
06. Kaleidoscope
07. Bastards
08. Hope Begets Hope
09. Screaming At The Sun
10. Behind A Mask
11. Heavy Lies The Crown
12. Psychotic
13. Grind You Down
14. Razorblade Smile
15. Eulogy

The album is available for pre-order at this location.

The song "Beyond The Pale" can be streamed below.

MACHINE HEAD frontman Robb Flynn told Poland's Interia.pl that "Beyond The Pale" was "the second song that we wrote for the record. It was just a simple four-minute song that we were, like, 'Fuck, cool!' It came together really fast," he said. "Lyrically, it took me a while to get how I wanted to shape it. That was the one song on the record where I couldn't get a theme for the song, like a lyrical theme. I went through seven different choruses, seven different subjects, seven completely different sets of lyrics. When it finally came to this last one, that's when I knew it was it. 'Kaleidoscope' was the opposite. We literally wrote that in the studio. Me and Dave [McClain, drums] were messing around. It just came super-fast. I ended up going in there and I freestyled a bunch of the lyrics and that whole intro section was the second time I ever sang the song. It just poured out of me. I was really excited."

He continued: "I think when you go to capture a record, you go into the studio and sometimes it can be a little bit of a sterile environment. You want to capture lightning in a bottle, but it's hard, it's the hardest thing to do. Many bands don't do it. With ['Kaleidoscope'], we just fucking captured it and it was crazy. You're literally hearing the first day we ever played that song as a band. We captured it. I think you feel that energy. I think there's an urgency there, there's an excitement there. I don't know if it would have been there if we worked on it for eight or nine months and then recorded it later."

The North American tour in support of "Catharsis" will kick off on January 25 in Mesa, Arizona

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/listen ... z20ybaO.99

DividerOfShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:36 am 

For anyone wondering, this is the artwork. Didn't quite click with me, artwork for Bloodstone & Diamonds was better in my opinion.

And I'm still hoping for Katy Perry to do another Christian album.

My Last.fm

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:39 am 

So I guess Robb Flynn's gone from ripping off Trivium to ripping off modern Slipknot. Dude's post-Vio-lence career has been nothing but him biting on whatever's popular at the moment.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:09 am 

He does tend to follow trends (numetal comes to mind). I guess I'm missing where they ripped off Trivium. I'm at work and haven't had a chance to listen to the new song yet. I'm not a Slipknot fan so I hope this new song doesn't sound like them.

InsaneSniper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:32 am 

fourrobert13 wrote:
I'm at work and haven't had a chance to listen to the new song yet. I'm not a Slipknot fan so I hope this new song doesn't sound like them.

It doesn't.

The main riff is basically identical to Strapping Young Lad's "Love?", though.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:38 am 

InsaneSniper wrote:
fourrobert13 wrote:
I'm at work and haven't had a chance to listen to the new song yet. I'm not a Slipknot fan so I hope this new song doesn't sound like them.

It doesn't.

The main riff is basically identical to Strapping Young Lad's "Love?", though.

I can deal with SYL. I'll have to wait until my lunch break to give it a listen.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:03 pm 

Well at least they've left that awful Is There Anybody Out There? single off the album.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:23 pm 

Even though it sounds almost identical to SYL's "Love?", it's the riff combined with the tone that just makes it total Butt-Riff overload.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:12 pm 

So is the chorus "I found salvation / emancipation", or something else? No reason. Just asking.

I really dislike the harmonized guitar lines. They're boring, poorly integrated into the song, and seem like a cheap attempt at metal cred. "Look, we're doing that thing Iron Maiden does! This totally isn't a rejected Skinlab song!"

That cuts to the problem with modern Machine Head: they don't know who they are. You get symphonic parts, and thrash parts, and jumpdafuckup mallcore parts, and children's choirs, all thrown together. They're trying to be everything to everyone, and I wish they'd just pick a sound, even if it's an annoying one.

Bash Supercharger all you like, but that album is honest about what it is. It doesn't tack on a bunch of cheap "old school" frills to try and keep metal fans along for the ride. It goes all in.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:14 pm 

Even the "OOOOOOOOOOH COME ON" before the riff is SYL-esque. And a very shitty version at that. :lol: Yeah this sucks. I don't think I ever heard a good Machine Head song though.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:22 am 

I think the last three albums have had some good material, particularly Unto the Locust. This new song is pretty bad though, so hopefully it's not indicative of what the rest of the album will sound like.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:40 am 

MawBTS wrote:
That cuts to the problem with modern Machine Head: they don't know who they are. You get symphonic parts, and thrash parts, and jumpdafuckup mallcore parts, and children's choirs, all thrown together. They're trying to be everything to everyone, and I wish they'd just pick a sound, even if it's an annoying one.

Yeah that's pretty much it. Flynn's comfort zone was The Burning Red. I've grown to like the album in the years since I got over my teenage "omg u sellouts!!1" angst, and you can hear how the songwriting flows naturally on it. The rapping was new but otherwise it's a real refinement of what he'd been doing on the previous 2. And he might even have an audience for the nu-metal sound if he goes back to it in 2018 - most of their current fans weren't active when nu-metal was a thing, so don't hate it like the metalheads did back in the late 90s.

I don't like this new song though. The pre-chorus is all new-MH nonsense, and the verse riff just doesn't quite do it for me. Something with that much groove in it should groove, but this doesn't.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:11 am 

This band fluked out with The Blackening. Since then it's been pretty bland, and "Beyond the Pale" is absolutely no exception. I can already see one of my least favourite albums from 2018 here.

I agree that Machine Head really need to pick a style and stick with it. If they went full-on groove, it might even be passable. Flynn's vocals are really bad, though. Oh well. I'm sure there's a market for this. :P

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:12 am 

fourrobert13 wrote:
I've enjoyed the last three albums as well as the debut so I'll be picking this one up. Pre-order started today, but so far I've only seen digital, no physical yet.

Machine... what?!? :scratch:
Uhm, wait... I remember some albums in 1994 and 1997... :-P

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:30 am 

Devin Townsend's take on the riff:
Quote:
"People asking me about riff similarities: I don't have an opinion really. I've written riffs my whole career that sound like something else. I've used whole themes from other albums, movies or soundtracks. Art is a collage of your experiences, you taking clippings and reassemble."

https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/ ... 2749702144
https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/ ... 9932367872

BasqueStorm wrote:
Machine... what?!? :scratch:
Uhm, wait... I remember some albums in 1994 and 1997... :-P

I didn't mention the numetal phase as being enjoyable.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:17 am 

fourrobert13 wrote:
I didn't mention the numetal phase as being enjoyable.

Sorry, I'm not sure why I did quote you expecifically. :-P
My bad. :-D
Edit: Wait, you are the OP! What are you playing to?!? :lol:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:23 am 

Blech. That sucked. Machine Head have been pretty much worthless since Unto the Locust, which sucks because the period between The Blackening and that album was genuinely pretty damn good.

Also, the chorus sounds like he's saying "I've found salvation in masturbation".

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:54 pm 

The Blackening was the last good output, at least for me.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:31 pm 

I liked the Locust one as well, but I didn't listen to anything after.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:16 pm 

fourrobert13 wrote:
Devin Townsend's take on the riff:
Quote:
"People asking me about riff similarities: I don't have an opinion really. I've written riffs my whole career that sound like something else. I've used whole themes from other albums, movies or soundtracks. Art is a collage of your experiences, you taking clippings and reassemble."

https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/ ... 2749702144
https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/ ... 9932367872

Bloody hell, I didn't think the riff was so strikingly similar to "Love?" that it required a comment from Devin freaking Townsend himself. I thought they sounded dissimilar enough to be their own riff. "Love?" is a vastly better song than "Beyond the Pale", anyway. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:11 pm 

Transitioning from two albums with 8 and 7 long songs to two more with 12 and 15 shorter songs is a red flag that Machine Head has completely forgone the ability to self-edit with either the expectation of throwing as much as they can against the wall to see what sticks these days, or the perspective that every single idea they come up with is gold regardless of the final product and the reception.

It’s a pretty formulaic song but not terrible, just a condensed version of checking all the boxes. I’m a strong advocate for not fixing what isn’t broken, many of my favorite bands are those who give me exactly what I want with each album, but this is not the kind of band that can afford to rest on their laurels and stop pushing themselves which is exactly what it feels like they’ve been doing.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:19 pm 

15 tracks? Is this necessary?

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:20 pm 

lol...more regarding riffgate:

http://loudwire.com/devin-townsend-down ... -responds/
Quote:
Machine Head just dropped new music late last week with a track called "Beyond the Pale" being the first song to surface from their Catharsis album. But keen-eared fans have been calling out the group, feeling that the opening riff of the song sounded a little too close to the Strapping Young Lad track "Love?" While that might have sparked some early outrage, Strapping Young Lad's Devin Townsend has quickly squashed any further debate, downplaying the similarities.
In a series of tweets, Townsend writes, "People asking me about riff similarities: I don't have an opinion really. I've written riffs my whole career that sound like something else. I've used whole themes from other albums, movies or soundtracks. Art is a collage of your experiences, you taking clippings and reassemble."

He goes on to add, "Here's the best part about comparison of MH new song to 'Love' I basically ripped off the SYL chorus from this song," then pointing to Yes' "City of Love." Townsend concludes, "I met Jon Anderson at one point and told him. He seemed to find it funny." See his tweets below.
Devin Townsend ✔@dvntownsend
People asking me about riff similarities: I don't have an opinion really. I've written riffs my whole career that sound like something else.
4:04 AM - Nov 17, 2017
20 20 Replies 24 24 Retweets 288 288 likes
Twitter Ads info and privacy
I've used whole themes from other albums, movies or soundtracks. Art is a collage of your experiences, you taking clippings and reassemble.
4:07 AM - Nov 17, 2017
12 12 Replies 61 61 Retweets 396 396 likes
YouTube ‎@YouTube
Heres the best part about comparison of MH new song to 'Love' I basically ripped off the SYL chorus from this song: https://youtu.be/7kODOf2vuTg
1:04 PM - Nov 17, 2017
30 30 Replies 22 22 Retweets 189 189 likes
I met Jon Anderson at one point and told him. He seemed to find it funny.
1:06 PM - Nov 17, 2017
5 5 Replies 8 8 Retweets 111 111 likes
This is the second time in the past year that Townsend fans have found similarities in another artist's new work, with Deep Purple's InFinite album cover and title closely mirroring Townsend's own Infinity, and in that case as well, Hevy Devy downplayed it, stating that it was "not a big deal."
Meanwhile, Machine Head's Robb Flynn saw Townsend's comments and thanked the musician for being so cool over the situation. "Shout out to Devin Townsend for being so cool," stated Flynn. "The Riff Police pulled me over, I got a $300 infraction for that one!! Like Dimebag always used to tell me 'we’re all just sharing riffs man.' Got a lot of respect for you Devin, super talented musician, amazing producer (as the palaces burn production crushes all!) And while I would proudly admit that I stole a Riff from you... Was just a happy accident. Riff on brother!!"
Robb Flynn ✔@TheGeneralMH
Shout out to @dvntownsend for being so cool. The Riff Police pulled me over, I got a $300 infraction for that one!! Like Dime bag always used to tell me “we’re all just sharing riffs man”. https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/ ... 2749702144
4:33 PM - Nov 17, 2017
12 12 Replies 32 32 Retweets 239 239 likes
Got a lot of respect for you Devin, super talented musician, amazing producer (as the palaces burn production crushes all!)

And while I would proudly admit that I stole a Riff from you... Was just a happy accident.

Riff on brother!! https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/ ... 0728834048
4:36 PM - Nov 17, 2017
17 17 Replies 28 28 Retweets 205 205 likes
Machine Head's Catharsis album arrives Jan. 26. Look for the band returning to the road next year with plenty of shows supporting the album.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:28 pm 

Just listened to the promo track

That shit was fucking awful. What happened to the band of the first two albums who at least sounded professional and like they had their own sound? Fuck, I'd even take Burning Red over that.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:45 am 

That was an underwhelming track. Melodic parts were dull and the rest was no more than just decent. I second the idea that going back to a "over 10-12" songs album doesn´t sound very promising.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:25 am 

I'm not gonna bother with this song but Jesus Christ, Robb Flynn is THE most defensive musician alive.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:43 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
I'm not gonna bother with this song but Jesus Christ, Robb Flynn is THE most defensive musician alive.

As cool as Robb Flynn seems to be, holy shit he talks too much. Do people really care this much about his opinions about whatever the fuck?

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:50 pm 

15 songs?! ok, goodbye!

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:05 am 

Quote:
That cuts to the problem with modern Machine Head: they don't know who they are. You get symphonic parts, and thrash parts, and jumpdafuckup mallcore parts, and children's choirs...

...and Flogging Molly.

What the fuck is this? The second half sounds like something you'd play on St Patty's Day to clear everyone out of the pub after final call.

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:39 am 

And I thought the title track was horrible. I remember enjoying "The Blackening" and "Unto The Locust" at some point, this cannot be the same band, can it? Seriously, WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT????
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:59 am 

Quote:
And I thought the title track was horrible. I remember enjoying "The Blackening" and "Unto The Locust" at some point, this cannot be the same band, can it? Seriously, WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT????

Remember when Machine Head compared themselves to Metallica?

Specifically, when they said The Blackening was an attempt to write a new Master of Puppets (lol.)

The Blackening came out 10-11 years ago. So based on that timeline (MoP came out in 1986), we're now riiiiight on schedule for their Load/Reload period, along with fantastic songs in the vein of "Mama Said" and "Hero of the Day". They should cut their hair.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:58 am 

I gave them another try when Rob was on That Metal Show and still couldn't get into them. And yeah, the new track is awful.

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:57 am 

MawBTS wrote:

Specifically, when they said The Blackening was an attempt to write a new Master of Puppets (lol.)

The Blackening came out 10-11 years ago. So based on that timeline (MoP came out in 1986), we're now riiiiight on schedule for their Load/Reload period, along with fantastic songs in the vein of "Mama Said" and "Hero of the Day". They should cut their hair.

Nah, we're far past that. They're now comparable to Lou Reed & Metallica.
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:44 am 

Lich Coldheart wrote:
MawBTS wrote:

Nah, we're far past that. They're now comparable to Lou Reed & Metallica.

Truth be told, I'd rather listen to Lulu than this.

putrenista
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:27 am 

fourrobert13 wrote:
lol...more regarding riffgate:

http://loudwire.com/devin-townsend-down ... -responds/
Quote:
Machine Head just dropped new music late last week with a track called "Beyond the Pale" being the first song to surface from their Catharsis album. But keen-eared fans have been calling out the group, feeling that the opening riff of the song sounded a little too close to the Strapping Young Lad track "Love?" While that might have sparked some early outrage, Strapping Young Lad's Devin Townsend has quickly squashed any further debate, downplaying the similarities.
In a series of tweets, Townsend writes, "People asking me about riff similarities: I don't have an opinion really. I've written riffs my whole career that sound like something else. I've used whole themes from other albums, movies or soundtracks. Art is a collage of your experiences, you taking clippings and reassemble."

He goes on to add, "Here's the best part about comparison of MH new song to 'Love' I basically ripped off the SYL chorus from this song," then pointing to Yes' "City of Love." Townsend concludes, "I met Jon Anderson at one point and told him. He seemed to find it funny." See his tweets below.
People asking me about riff similarities: I don't have an opinion really. I've written riffs my whole career that sound like something else.
4:04 AM - Nov 17, 2017
20 20 Replies 24 24 Retweets 288 288 likes
I've used whole themes from other albums, movies or soundtracks. Art is a collage of your experiences, you taking clippings and reassemble.
4:07 AM - Nov 17, 2017
12 12 Replies 61 61 Retweets 396 396 likes
YouTube ‎@YouTube
Heres the best part about comparison of MH new song to 'Love' I basically ripped off the SYL chorus from this song: https://youtu.be/7kODOf2vuTg
1:04 PM - Nov 17, 2017
30 30 Replies 22 22 Retweets 189 189 likes
I met Jon Anderson at one point and told him. He seemed to find it funny.
1:06 PM - Nov 17, 2017
5 5 Replies 8 8 Retweets 111 111 likes
This is the second time in the past year that Townsend fans have found similarities in another artist's new work, with Deep Purple's InFinite album cover and title closely mirroring Townsend's own Infinity, and in that case as well, Hevy Devy downplayed it, stating that it was "not a big deal."
Meanwhile, Machine Head's Robb Flynn saw Townsend's comments and thanked the musician for being so cool over the situation. "Shout out to Devin Townsend for being so cool," stated Flynn. "The Riff Police pulled me over, I got a $300 infraction for that one!! Like Dimebag always used to tell me 'we’re all just sharing riffs man.' Got a lot of respect for you Devin, super talented musician, amazing producer (as the palaces burn production crushes all!) And while I would proudly admit that I stole a Riff from you... Was just a happy accident. Riff on brother!!"
Shout out to @dvntownsend for being so cool. The Riff Police pulled me over, I got a $300 infraction for that one!! Like Dime bag always used to tell me “we’re all just sharing riffs man”. https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/ ... 2749702144
4:33 PM - Nov 17, 2017
12 12 Replies 32 32 Retweets 239 239 likes
Got a lot of respect for you Devin, super talented musician, amazing producer (as the palaces burn production crushes all!)

And while I would proudly admit that I stole a Riff from you... Was just a happy accident.

Riff on brother!! https://twitter.com/dvntownsend/status/ ... 0728834048
4:36 PM - Nov 17, 2017
17 17 Replies 28 28 Retweets 205 205 likes
Machine Head's Catharsis album arrives Jan. 26. Look for the band returning to the road next year with plenty of shows supporting the album.

That's awesome Devy owned up to that, because I noticed that a while back once I finally heard that Yes album. Really not a big deal, I like the blatant influence he was showing. But this is so hypocritical of Machine Head and Robb Flynn, who likes to run his mouth and voice his opinion over every little fart in the metal scene. Remember when he was calling out Avenged Sevenfold for sounding too close to Metallica and Guns N' Roses a few years ago on their album, Hail to the King? Seems like a case of the "pot calling the keddle (the)Black(ening)."

Last edited by putrenista on Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:32 am 

New song sucks. Flynn's story behind it sounds almost identical to Dave Grohl's story behind the song Run from the Foo Fighters. Even the part about talking to his kids after the election...give me a break. I know MH has always followed trends, but this shit is getting ridiculous. The guy has been around a while, one would think he would be a bit more original than he is.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:26 pm 

Anyone see Flynn's reaction to the negative review that Decibel put up about a month back? I kinda want to listen to it now for the sole purpose of tearing it a new asshole.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:25 pm 

Here you go:

Quote:
Machine Head frontman Robb Flynn reacted to Decibel Magazine bashing the band's new album "Catharsis" - due out on January 26 - giving the effort a shrug emoji (¯\_(ツ)_/¯) and comparing it to Megadeth's "Super Collider" in terms of being bad.

Rob's post reads:

"'DECIBEL MAGAZINE SLAMS 'CATHARSIS'!

"The former-Decibel cover stars new album gets called 'juvenile,' 'stupid,' 'endlessly pummeling' and a 'Super Collider-level-miss.'

"Oh, and hey... FUCK YOU Jeff Treppel!!

"Read the entire review below:

"MACHINE HEAD – CATHARSIS

"EVERYTHING OLD IS NÜ AGAIN

"Let's just tear off this Band-Aid:

"The new Machine Head is a 74-minute rap metal album with a song that sounds like the Dropkick Murphys in the middle. Maybe Robb Flynn really misses the late '90s (although, let's be honest who doesn't these days)?

"Maybe, after a decade of ridiculously great progressive groove metal records, Flynn decided to blow off some steam by going back to 'The Bleeding Red's' knuckle-dragging simplicity?

"The frustrating thing about 'Catharsis' is that Machine Head are great even when they're making bad music. The Soulfly tribal breakdowns on 'Volatile,' the drop tuning on 'Beyond the Pale,' the whiteboy hip-hop of 'Triple Beam' (nothing more 'street' than gymnastics metaphors), the anti-gentrification screed 'California Bleeding' - they're effective in the same primal way that the best Rage Against the Machine and Korn hits were back in the day. None of it feels half-assed; these are clearly well-crafted songs.

"It's all just so stupid.

"As intermittently satisfying as the nu-metal approach may be, Flynn and his bandmates have proven themselves more than capable of expressing their rage articulately. This feels juvenile from dudes pushing 50. There are certainly some interesting parts mixed in; unfortunately, with 15 songs, any nuances get lost in the endless pummeling.

"Frankly, I'm baffled. This is a 'Super-Collider'-level miss from a band that seemed to have ditched this phase long ago.

"'Catharsis' drops Jan. 26th #machinehead #catharsis #spreadthehead"

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:41 pm 

They showed some exclusive footage of Flynn's reaction to the Decibel review.

Spoiler: show

~Guest 323749
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:26 pm 

What the hell was Bastards? I had a bad feeling about this album ever since they released that horrible Is Anybody Out There? single. Bloodstones & Diamonds was hit or miss (mostly miss) and it looks like this one is going to continue the downward trend they've been on since Unto the Locust.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next