Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Kalaratri
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:15 am 

US Epic doom metallers Crypt Sermon will release their third full length, The Stygian Rose, on June 14 through Dark Descent Records. From the press release:
Quote:
Dark heavy metallers Crypt Sermon unveil their bewitching new album, The Stygian Rose, under the Dark Descent banner. Featuring guitarist Steve Jansson (Daeva, Unrest), vocalist Brooks Wilson (Unrest), drummer Enrique Sagarnaga (Daeva, The Silver), guitarist Frank Chin (Daeva), bassist Matt Knox (Horrendous, The Silver), and keyboardist Tanner Anderson (Obsequiae, Majesties), the Philadelphia-based sextet parlayed their time away from the spotlight into a grander, more mysterious Crypt Sermon. The interflow of doom and heavy metals underpins The Stygian Rose, but these boundaries are effortlessly transcended. From the blistering solo salvo of "Glimmers in the Underworld" and the commanding rhythm of "Heavy is the Crown of Bone" to the evocative Near Eastern vibes of "Thunder (Perfect Mind)" and the intricate, masterful journey of the 11-minute title track, The Stygian Rose epitomizes the band's burgeoning musical and conceptual prowess.

"We wanted The Stygian Rose to scratch a lot of itches that aren't being scratched," says guitarist Steve Jansson. "That's my goal when I make music. I want to make things that I don't hear other people doing or at least don't hear others doing all in one package. The music also has to have staying power and replay value. [I wanted] that addictive feeling you had when you listened to records as a teenager."

Crypt Sermon tracked The Stygian Rose with acclaimed producer Arthur Rizk (Blood Incantation, Cirith Ungol) and engineer Aidan Elias (Blood Incantation, Wayfarer) at Redwoods in Philadelphia. Although Rizk handled Out of the Garden (2015) and The Ruins of Fading Light (2019), the team captured the band's multi-genre chaplet in a new light this time. Singles "Glimmers in the Underworld," "Heavy is the Crown of Bone," and "Thunder (Perfect Mind)" are frighteningly effective in their [Neil] Kernon-esque production. At the same time, deep album tracks "Scrying Orb," "Down in the Hollow," and "The Stygian Rose" cast long, mysterious shadows. Rizk summoned from Crypt Sermon the same big-stage sound producers Dave Jerden and Rick Rubin coaxed out of Alice In Chains and Trouble, respectively.

"We knew we wanted an aggressive sound," singer Brooks Wilson says. "Like [Metallica's] Black album or [Queensrÿche's] Operation: Mindcrime with loud smashing rock drums. The guitars had to be aggressive and loud. The bass had to be tuned in more than on our previous albums. The bass had to be clean and deep. We were generally after a more clean, distinct, and audible production. The Stygian Rose has way more depth than anything we've done before."

Adorned with captivating artwork and featuring an enchanting (yet dark) lyrical concept by Wilson, this is Crypt Sermon’s level-up moment. Dive into The Stygian Rose and experience its rich rewards.

Tracklisting:
1. Glimmers In The Underworld
2. Thunder (Perfect Mind)
3. Down In The Hollow
4. Heavy Is The Crown Of Bone
5. Scrying Orb
6. The Stygian Rose

Heavy is the Crown of Bone has been released as the first single:
Spoiler: show

This is definitely one of my most anticipated releases of 2024. The single sounds like a further progression of The Ruins of Fading Light in an even darker direction, and they seem to have stepped their game up even more. Tanner Anderson is also apparently their permanent keyboard player now, I guess he has a lot of time on his hands.

Last edited by Kalaratri on Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:41 am 

Hell yeah I am excited for this. Their previous two albums both rule and The Ruins of Fading Light in particular is my jam.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:17 pm 

That song was so cool. Like if Candlemass was fronted by Jon Oliva and he sprinkled some Savatage magic dust on 'em.

Looking forward to a new Crypt Sermon (art and titles look good), it's been way too long.

KaiKasparek
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:39 pm 

About fucking time. I thought these guys disappeared off the face of the earth.

Period

The greatest post in M-A history:

~Guest 21181 wrote:
The Legions of the Teabagged:
vacantmind - DURR GOATSE IS FOONY (If you meet this guy, please pour hot lead down his anus).

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:52 pm 

This instantly became my most anticipated album of the year, the sample song sounds absolutely incredible!It’s funny, I listened to Out of the Garden a couple weeks ago and found it somewhat underwhelming due to how much Ruins of Fading Light outdoes it in just about every way. I can’t imagine there being a repeat of that with this album but if it’s as strong, I’ll be quite happy.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:18 pm 

Sounds darker and meaner than the last one, which had a real 70s or early 80s style epic quality at times... I was really impressed with that one, so hoping this lives up.

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:34 pm 

Already pre-ordered from Dark Descent. Let the waiting begin.

koolaidprodigy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:08 pm 

Hell yeah! I love and still listen to The Ruins of Fading Light on a regular basis. It is about time for a new release. The new song sounds amazing. This is highly anticipated for me as well.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:56 pm 

This is some great news. And as others said, it is now one of my most anticipated albums of 2024. I love everything they've done so far.
Fire walk with me"

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:41 pm 

Absolutely love this band....instant blind buy.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:44 pm 

My most anticipated album in years. Their last one is an all-timer.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:41 pm 

I'm a recent convert to the mighty Crypt Sermon. New song is great, can't wait to hear the rest.

Dustroy_Troly
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:40 pm 

A-class band. New song sounds cool, album is sure to be great. I think I still prefer their first album of the two they have released so far. The second one had some songs that felt a bit overlong and meandering.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:25 pm 

The second, just like the first was perfect. All their albums have been stellar but I'd give the (slight) edge to The Ruins of Fading Light.

eViLbOrIs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:10 am 

Easily my favorite band of this style since Candlemass, and I think Ruins of Fading Light is up there with *anything* ever released in the 'epic doom/heavy metal' genre. Big words, I know, but man, this band just does it for me. They also put on an excellent and charismatic live show; one of the few bands I'll take time to go see live these days.

Unless Opeth announces a new one in '24, this will be my most anticipated of the year. Between this and Madder Mortem and Ihsahn and Bruce Dickinson and Judas Priest, I'm very happy with this year in metal.
Good trades with: Satan_Laughs (x2), thrashbeast, jthompson (x2), Groanofthewind, Mantis44 (x2), Decry, Igor, Kelibat, Madcow, Vakshay, Mespheber, Lord_Domitian, orionmetalhead, J, mightypeniz, Jacobo123 etc...

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:37 am 

Just listened to the new single.

This is the most Morgana Lefay song I have heard from a band that is not Morgana Lefay. The vocals are the only factor that is lacking, I never considered them to be top level but now that I hear the Morgana influence so prominently, I cannot avoid comparing with Charles, which is unfair as Charles is among my favorite vocalists of all time. Still, a very good song and I am eaglerly awaiting to hear the whole thing.

Very interesting that Frank Chin (ex-Vektor bassist) is now handling guitar duties, which confirms my suspicion that he was always a guitarist primarily, as his work in Vektor is what we call here in Greece "guitarbass", bass that basically follows the guitar, usually played by pick. The new bassist in Vektor is a true bassist (and an upgrade!) and I am very intrigued now to hear Frank's work in his primary instrument. The guitar level of Crypt Sermon was always very high.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

BeigeToupee
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:07 am 

The new song absolutely slays. The Ruins of Fading Light has ended up as my favorite metal album of the last ten years or so. Brooks sounds more menacing on this new song. Always loved his artwork too. So stoked for this.

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:09 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Very interesting that Frank Chin (ex-Vektor bassist) is now handling guitar duties, which confirms my suspicion that he was always a guitarist primarily, as his work in Vektor is what we call here in Greece "guitarbass", bass that basically follows the guitar, usually played by pick. The new bassist in Vektor is a true bassist (and an upgrade!) and I am very intrigued now to hear Frank's work in his primary instrument. The guitar level of Crypt Sermon was always very high.

This is an interesting point because the bass work on this track really jumped out at me and I wonder to what extent that history plays into how dynamic it is. I'll have to go back and re-listen because I don't remember that from Crypt Sermon before, this is amazing stuff and glad to hear it isn't doing guitarbass.

BeigeToupee
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:40 pm 

Which is also interesting because Matt Knox (the new bassist and former live bassist) plays guitar in Horrendous. The more and more I listen to the new track, the more I realize how much of a presence the bass has now. June can’t come soon enough.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:38 pm 

What's up with the sudden popularity of the word "stygian" in metal? 45 releases with that word in the name, almost every one of them from the past 5 years. Only one usage prior to 2000. Very "hey, here's a cool word I found on the internet" vibes.

https://www.metal-archives.com/search/a ... re=#albums

Apteronotus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:24 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
What's up with the sudden popularity of the word "stygian" in metal? 45 releases with that word in the name, almost every one of them from the past 5 years. Only one usage prior to 2000. Very "hey, here's a cool word I found on the internet" vibes.

Maybe bands are now young enough to not know about Styx? If no one says come sail away with me lad when a band announces their title I’m not sure why people bother making music.

ogmetal
Veteran of the Psychic Wars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:14 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:

That's a very cool observation.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:57 pm 

I remember hearing Iced Earth’s Travel in Stygian when I was fifteen and wondering if that was a word they made up. Now I’m trying to figure out if the title even uses that word in the right context.

Reply to topic