Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:02 am 

I'm rather distraught by Glenn Tipton having to step down from touring but having Andy Sneap filling in is pretty cool. I really hope this is their last tour though. I can't handle a Judas Priest with both KK and Glenn gone. Rob can always get Ian and Scott in his solo band if it gets that drastic.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:44 am 

Andy Sneap is a lead guitarist?

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:24 pm 

I was still considering buying a ticket, but not anymore.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:44 pm 

Why not Roy Z?
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:15 pm 

TrooperEd wrote:
Why not Roy Z?

I assume because it would slowly start to resemble Halford's solo band, and also because Roy Z had nothing to do with this particular album.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:09 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Andy Sneap is a lead guitarist?

I'm pretty sure he is the guitarist for Charred Walls Of The Damned.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:22 pm 

^ That would be Jason Suecof. For all the work he does as a producer, it’s easy to forget he can play and the same could probably be said for Sneap. He was in Sabbat and Hell, who I’m hoping we finally get a new album from this year. I think it’s safe to say he can rip it and is more than familiar with Judas Priest’s style.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:45 pm 

He is the only guitarist on History of a Time to Come. Solos weren't spectacular but there is a difference in writing your own and playing someone else's work. Sure he'll be fine but I guess this will be it for JP.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:29 am 

Well, I did notice that it didn’t sound like Glenn playing on any of these songs and, prior to this, it was clear that his role was reduced. Obviously, getting KK back would make sense - but I’m sure his issues are still unresolved. Andy Sneap only makes sense insofar as he’s a name player and he’s close to the band. Metalheads won’t say “who?” but, as others have said, he’s not a lead guitarist of any note. Hell have understated solos, Sabbat’s first album - despite being excellent otherwise - had naff lead guitars (hence the addition of a second guitarist on the follow-up). I dunno, why choose someone who’s known over someone who is actually qualified for the job?

It’s like replacing Les Binks with Dave Holland.

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:44 am 

Well, reading the statements, it comes across like Glenn wanted Andy Sneap to replace him for the tour, which is kinda important. I've read in interviews that Glenn was a very hands-on kind of guy who was not afraid of calling the shots, and I guess he and Andy clicked very well in the studio, which prompted the decision.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:42 am 

It's not like Priest has got the most technically difficult solos, so I'm sure Andy will manage. Besides, Richie Faulkner could do all the solos himself, he's a great guitarist. Andy might only be needed for the twin leads.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:52 am 

Sad news.

For anyone wondering if Firepower is 90% Ritchie Faulkner...now we know.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:57 am 

Assume If KK was willing or able he'd be doing it? Does he have some health issues that have been kept quiet? Do the tour and call it a day. Sad to see one of our favourite bands go but nothing lasts forever.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:56 am 

TheWaltzer wrote:
Well, reading the statements, it comes across like Glenn wanted Andy Sneap to replace him for the tour, which is kinda important. I've read in interviews that Glenn was a very hands-on kind of guy who was not afraid of calling the shots, and I guess he and Andy clicked very well in the studio, which prompted the decision.

That makes sense, Andy is a massive Priest fan (did anyone else notice that Accept are now supporting - I can imagine that was Sneap's doing, too). Of course, it makes sense that Glenn would want to personally approve him, too. I can't imagine how difficult it is to lose your ability slowly after 40 years of mastery.

Still, the point stands, Sneap is not at all renowned for his leads... and it's not like he wouldn't be able to fit that into Sabbat or Hell. Seems like an odd choice just from a playing perspective. Of course, he's probably got the technique to pull it off.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:55 pm 

I wonder if this means they'll finally get rid of Jayne Andrews and get a real manager. If that happens KK will absolutely come back.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:58 pm 

Get real, KK is never coming back. It's over guys.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:00 pm 

Opus wrote:
It's not like Priest has got the most technically difficult solos, so I'm sure Andy will manage.

They're ultra-technical compared to any guitar solos anyone has ever heard Andy Sneap play. This whole thing is ridiculous, from Richie Faulkner's addition to the band onward.

Like Slayer, it is time to call it a day. They've lost a critical songwriter, and now perhaps two. It's over.

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:59 pm 

It is amazing how quickly people went from, "Cannot wait for new album and seeing Priest live! Hope they release another album or two" to, "It is over!" all because of Glenn's departure. Shows how much of an anomaly Priest is, how a member who was not even an original rewrote their fortunes. That is why this is such a huge loss.

The band may have been started by Alan Atkins, pieced together by K.K. and Ian, onto something special by adding Rob Halford, but if it had remained there I do not believe Priest would have survived. With all due respect to the songwriting of Downing, Halford & Atkins, the music made while they were the primary songwriters ('68 - Rocka Rolla) pales in comparison to what was made once Glenn joined the band. He not only brought his own abilities but they were so formidable that it brought out the hidden abilities of K.K. and Rob. And to think he was planning on sticking with Priest for only a year upon joining, considered it to be a temporary gig.

Next to the immortal Rik Emmett, my favorite Rock guitarist is Glenn Tipton. My favorite Metal band was always Judas Priest and Glenn was chief songwriter so he has been an enormous influence on my own love for the guitar. He was also a joy to watch play live, he usually had my attention all 11 times I was fortunate enough to see the band. I almost had a chance to see the band on the Screaming For Vengeance tour in '83 but could not. I was never disappointed by a show of theirs but the two gigs I saw for the Fuel For Life tour in '86 were their best. The second of the two gigs, in Lakeland Civic Center, remains my favorite concert ever attended. After the gig Glenn, who looked a bit different than he had on stage, signed my vinyl copy of Unleashed In the East; which remains my favorite Priest album.

This news is incredibly sad, aging is an inevitable fact, but he is stepping back not because of aging. If anything, he always seemed to define that - such as still looking rather distinguished at 70 - the fact that he is being robbed of what he is known for is the saddest aspect of all. While I have never needed extra reason to listen to Glenn play, this makes me want to rip the solos of Reckless, Beyond the Realms of Death, Freewheel Burning, Heavy Metal, Genocide. I do not see Priest surviving this loss and may be time to call it a day. Sad to see your idols' light darken and wither away so for this one fan, Glenn Tipton will be surely missed. :(

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:50 pm 

It's a real shit thing to read about Tipton, and I hope he gets the care he needs - there's no coming back from Parkinsons, although some people still manage to live fairly well with it within their means. With luck the band doesn't try to beat a dead horse with replacement band members all over the place, though. Their last few albums haven't been exactly stellar, and although Halford's probably their biggest draw, for me it was Tipton/Downing and even Halford has slowed down a lot in the 00s. The tour should be a farewell tour. A graceful exit is their best option right now.

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:44 pm 

Opus wrote:
It's not like Priest has got the most technically difficult solos, so I'm sure Andy will manage. Besides, Richie Faulkner could do all the solos himself, he's a great guitarist. Andy might only be needed for the twin leads.

Oh come on, Tipton is incredible for how he pushed himself. I can't think of any other stalwart who kept up with the pack like he did. It's very hard to pull off something like Painkiller like him. Lots of technique but also so much feel.

Yes Priest without Ken or Glenn is not right. Very sad.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:52 am 

20 seconds of "Necromancer".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byjaXbdOpVg

Sounds pretty solid.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:44 am 

MawBTS wrote:
20 seconds of "Necromancer".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byjaXbdOpVg

Sounds pretty solid.

Hot damn!

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:25 pm 

idunnosomename wrote:
Oh come on, Tipton is incredible for how he pushed himself. I can't think of any other stalwart who kept up with the pack like he did. It's very hard to pull off something like Painkiller like him. Lots of technique but also so much feel.

No kidding. None of the guitarists in Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden advanced past 1986. Tipton and KK were the only ones in classic metal who kept learning and progressing long after.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:01 pm 

The soloing in the title tracks from Ram it Down and Painkiller are the stuff of legend.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:58 pm 

Everflowingstream wrote:
The soloing in the title tracks from Ram it Down and Painkiller are the stuff of legend.

Aw come on, Andy sneap could've done all that. Andy sneap!!!!!!

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:43 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Everflowingstream wrote:

Aw come on, Andy sneap could've done all that. Andy sneap!!!!!!

Painkiller soloing is going to be interesting. The band is professional and know if he is going to be able to do it - guess he can, but we will shortly find out. La Rocque or Impellitteri as a replacement would have been interesting though.

Wonder when they last played Ram it Down live? Soloing on that song blows my mind - wish they just didn't have that corny bridge before hand.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:30 am 

He has the golden occasion to learn and execute perfectly the sweep, and then proceed mauling the rest by doing Death-like random shredding :lol:

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:21 am 

Hopefully the rest of the record will be similar to these two tracks. I'm hoping against false hope. As much as I enjoy I like this band and this style of metal music.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:35 am 

Everflowingstream wrote:
Painkiller soloing is going to be interesting. The band is professional and know if he is going to be able to do it - guess he can, but we will shortly find out. La Rocque or Impellitteri as a replacement would have been interesting though.

I think it's a safe bet that Richie will be doing all the soloing and Sneap will play rhythms. I wonder if he can even play all that stuff correctly, to be honest.

LaRoque would've been a very interesting choice! I would've made the effort to see them again if he had toured with them.

Quote:
Wonder when they last played Ram it Down live? Soloing on that song blows my mind - wish they just didn't have that corny bridge before hand.

Couldn't agree more! I wish they had pulled that one out again in the last 15 years or so.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:44 pm 

The re-imagining of Priest as a band with one lead guitarist makes me sad. :( I mean, we obviously don't know yet. Priest without Halford sucked (although it didn't have to, but that's another thing) and a Priest without KK and Glenn just seems... bizarre. "Hey, you remember our most important factor - it's not here any more... but if you squint a bit the new dude looks like KK". Even more annoying as this is probably delaying a new Hell album.

LaRoque would have been cool. I would have gone with him, easy. Other cool choices would have been, say, Edward Pursino, Wolf Hoffman, Hank Shermann... I dunno, they could have had their pick of great lead guitarists.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:16 pm 

As much as I love playing fantasy football with potential Priest guitarists, I don't think they'd have done this with anybody but Sneap filling in. With him producing their new album and all, I imagine they were the most comfortable with him doing it. Same thing would probably happen with Accept if something happened to Wolf.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:49 pm 

Guitar solos from "Necromancer". I dunno why they're releasing the song piece by piece like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5so6d04VDao

You can clearly hear there's something not right with Tipton. His picking is weak and he sounds like he's barely in contact with the fretboard. Depressing, in light of what we now know.

I guess this was the point where he thought "well, I can't hide it anymore..."

Quote:
As much as I love playing fantasy football with potential Priest guitarists, I don't think they'd have done this with anybody but Sneap filling in.

Priest could put out a casting call and get nearly any guitarist in metal, but whoever they hire needs to be able to work with the band. That's a big advantage Sneap has: they've made an album with him and he's a known quantity in their eyes. His skills might be rudimentary, but he's not a black box of mysteries.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:18 am 

Noticeable for sure. Sad state of affairs - imagine his frustration in the studio but I bet he gave it 110%.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:27 am 

Yes, that is not Tipton at his best. Very sad.

"teasers" are getting straight-up ridiculous. For movies as well.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:55 pm 

Now I'm not disappointed they are not coming here on the tour. I didn't plan on getting the record but thought one m ore show, but that time is over. A very shrill aged Halford with two replacement players...not thanks.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:33 am 

I think Halford sounds great on these songs but maybe that's just me.

Rocka_Rollas
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:12 am 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Rob can always get Ian and Scott in his solo band if it gets that drastic.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:29 am 

The already published songs are great, even better than expected so I have great hopes with this album.

Its sad to see that Typton can´t play as he used to do, it must be very fustrating for him. I can only feel an enormous gratitude for his amazing job during these years.

Luvers
Writes generic (and possibly meandering) posts

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:33 pm 

Everflowingstream wrote:
That bridge sounded intense and raw live though. They played the title track both times I saw them on the Mercenaries of Metal tour, but there is no evidence they ever played the song again live.
- (I say it that way because I do not wish to come off as an authority on Priest - even if I was one of the biggest contributors to the Judas Priest Info Pages).

I still have some rather clear bootlegs of the title track from the shows in New Haven, Connecticut, Chicago, Illinois and Lubbock, Texas. Of course there are the soundboard bootlegs from the King Biscuit sponsored show in St. Louis and the gig in Hollywood, Florida. That Hollywood gig was the night after the second time I saw them. The first gig I saw in July, they did Hard As Iron, which they did not do the second time. They also only played Johnny B. Goode on the USA gigs that were in the northern regions, no evidence exists that they ever played the song in the southern USA. They also never once played Blood Red Skies, although the intro synth and acoustic guitar lines opened the shows before the sound system blasted out The Hellion. Hope all that answered your question. :thumbsup:

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:52 pm 

Luvers666 wrote:
Everflowingstream wrote:
That bridge sounded intense and raw live though. They played the title track both times I saw them on the Mercenaries of Metal tour, but there is no evidence they ever played the song again live.
- (I say it that way because I do not wish to come off as an authority on Priest - even if I was one of the biggest contributors to the Judas Priest Info Pages).

I still have some rather clear bootlegs of the title track from the shows in New Haven, Connecticut, Chicago, Illinois and Lubbock, Texas. Of course there are the soundboard bootlegs from the King Biscuit sponsored show in St. Louis and the gig in Hollywood, Florida. That Hollywood gig was the night after the second time I saw them. The first gig I saw in July, they did Hard As Iron, which they did not do the second time. They also only played Johnny B. Goode on the USA gigs that were in the northern regions, no evidence exists that they ever played the song in the southern USA. They also never once played Blood Red Skies, although the intro synth and acoustic guitar lines opened the shows before the sound system blasted out The Hellion. Hope all that answered your question. :thumbsup:

Ripping answer. JBG has one a great guitar harmony in it, love it. Otherwise that song is one rather odd choice for a cover - more suited to Motorhead or the Ramones.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next