Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:38 pm 

That's exactly how I look at Ram It Down, FasterDisaster.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:12 pm 

Painkiller is what happens when you play Ram It Down with a drummer that isn't a human dumpster fire.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:31 pm 

I think "Hard as Iron" was them moving closer to the "Painkiller" style, and yeah they wanted Travis-like drums there but had to settle for a drum machine.

The title track is great and fast but still has riffs that are closer to "Defenders of the Faith" than the more thrashy riffs they started throwing in on "Painkiller".

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:50 pm 

Judas Priest defy the usual album-to-album progression frequently. British Steel - Point of Entry - Screaming for Vengeance is one. Turbo - Ram It Down - Painkiller is another.

Of course a lot of Ram it Down was written for "Twin Turbos" but yes, the intensity is an unappreciated proto-Painkiller. God, that lead break in the title track. I don't think there really wasn't much like that around in 1988. It's still kind of jaw-dropping now. Even Riot's Thundersteel doesn't live up to that. Some of the songs are speed-metal masterpieces.

The problem is, it's not controversial to say that Love Zone, Come and Get It and Love You to Death are a bit naff, which doesn't leave that much.

I think the Johnny B. Goode cover is a bit of fun unfairly absolutely critically ravaged, but Heavy Metal is fucking awesome and a massively underrated anthem.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:55 pm 

There are people who hate their "Johnny B. Goode" cover? What fucking monsters are these?!

gabber
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:39 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
There are people who hate their "Johnny B. Goode" cover? What fucking monsters are these?!

They are monsters, monsters of rock.

I will please entry anus
Oh my god! Give me spicy pussy
Pussy is good smell
Shit is bad smell

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:08 am 

Quote:

Apparently, JP themselves hate their "Johnny B Goode" cover.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:02 am 

Ram It Down is JP's worst album, for two reasons:

1) at least half the songs stink up the joint. Heavy Metal/Love Zone/Love You To Death - all terrible songs, really forced lyrics, trying desperately to prove how 'metal' the band is after the alienation caused by the previous record.

2) The drums. OH GOD, the drums. Put it simply, Ram It Down has the worst drum sound of any album I can think of apart from St. Anger. To say that the drum machines/electronic drums sound dated would be an understatement. They interrupt every single song.

There are some good songs on Ram It Down. The title track, as others have pointed out, contains some awesome shredding that points the way for Painkiller. Hard As Iron is OK. Blood Red Skies is actually a classic JP song. But the drum machine just ruins them. Blood Red Skies in particular, which starts off very atmospherically and then has the mood completely interrupted by the drums. That song works much better live, simply because there is no drum machine on it....

JP need to take the good songs off Ram It Down and get Scott Travis to re-record all the drum parts properly. Then release them as an EP.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:30 am 

"Love you to Death" has good music, even if the lyrics cause people to cringe. But that lyrical theme is not uncommon for Halford so it seems a little strange to wait until 1988 to object to it.

Cosmic_Equilibrium
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:34 am 

I was thinking more along the lines of Heavy Metal or Monsters Of Rock - cliche central.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:38 am 

I've been hooked on the "Defenders Of The Faith" LP again recently. It's got me real excited for some new JP. It also really makes me wish they'd play some more deep cuts on their tours.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:42 am 

Cosmic_Equilibrium wrote:
I was thinking more along the lines of Heavy Metal or Monsters Of Rock - cliche central.

I hate those songs. Some of the worst they've ever recorded.

I wish every legacy artist would play more deep cuts. Otherwise, I have little reason to see them again.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:08 pm 

Twisted_Psychology wrote:
Painkiller is what happens when you play Ram It Down with a drummer that isn't a human dumpster fire.

Holland probably could've done a good job if he wasn't too busy diddling kids.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Sinfulsot
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:26 am 

I hope this new album is not redeemer of souls part two. that title track was just horrible.

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:28 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
"Love you to Death" has good music, even if the lyrics cause people to cringe. But that lyrical theme is not uncommon for Halford so it seems a little strange to wait until 1988 to object to it.

I don't see why it should cause anyone to cringe, unless they're sexually uncomfortable. "Sadomasochistic and sadistic to the core, gratify your senses as they drag you to the floor", that's what Halford is, and if one "objects", they should perhaps listen to somebody else.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:35 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:

The title track is great and fast but still has riffs that are closer to "Defenders of the Faith" than the more thrashy riffs they started throwing in on "Painkiller".

What? Where? Painkiller is about the best example of a speed metal album as I can think of (it's also a dumb album, but that's another thing).

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:13 am 

"Ram It Down" is actually mostly awesome - the cheap 80's drums and corny lyrics only add to its power. Those who dislike it, when asked "what do they want," surely fail to reply "HEAVY METAL."

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:43 pm 

Ram It Down is crap; Turn it Off is more appropriate for a lot of its duration. Painkiller? Eh, 'Between the Hammer and the Anvil' is basically the only song on that album with any "heart" for me.

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:05 pm 

demonomania wrote:
"Ram It Down" is actually mostly awesome - the cheap 80's drums and corny lyrics only add to its power. Those who dislike it, when asked "what do they want," surely fail to reply "HEAVY METAL."

Fair enough. Priest are fairly silly from Stained Class onwards (Oh, I know, some of it is pretty good but Invaders?) and I think any fan needs to embrace that.

Lochness is a bit much though. I remember a massive backlash against that song and how stupid it was, and I do find it very hard to love.

(Unless you count Blood Red Skies, I think Cathedral Spires is the only time Priest have managed to do a long-runner that can hold up to Maiden's epics)

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:51 pm 

Acrobat wrote:
Ram It Down is crap; Turn it Off is more appropriate for a lot of its duration. Painkiller? Eh, 'Between the Hammer and the Anvil' is basically the only song on that album with any "heart" for me.

Not a fan of Leather Rebel huh?

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:01 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
Acrobat wrote:

Or the title track or "All Guns Blazing" or "Metal Meltdown" or "Hell Patrol" or Nightcrawler" or "A Touch OF Evil" or "One Shot at Glory" either I take it?

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:56 am 

No doubt Painkiller had massive impact on me when I heard it for the first time (who didn't find it the most metal thing ever when he heard this the first time anyway?) but nowadays I just see it as an over-the-top album that's just way over the top. As if Judas Priest went through a midlife crisis when they delivered that album.

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:26 pm 

Sorry, I just love over-the-top over the top.

It's absurd but also fucking extraordinary and unique. It's like Michelangelo or David Bowie in that it takes everything further than anything before but if you copy it you just look kinda stupid.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:05 pm 

I'm trying to remember when it has ever been wrong for metal music to be over the top. That's a new one to me.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:18 pm 

colin040 wrote:
No doubt Painkiller had massive impact on me when I heard it for the first time (who didn't find it the most metal thing ever when he heard this the first time anyway?) but nowadays I just see it as an over-the-top album that's just way over the top. As if Judas Priest went through a midlife crisis when they delivered that album.

It's supposed to be over the top.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:14 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
I'm trying to remember when it has ever been wrong for metal music to be over the top. That's a new one to me.

Well a lot of people on these boards seem to not like post-Battle Hymns Manowar for how over the top they got. Personally, I really dig it though.

metalkeith
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:02 am 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Well a lot of people on these boards seem to not like post-Battle Hymns Manowar for how over the top they got. Personally, I really dig it though.

Apparently, only some of us have heard the call.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:24 am 

If it's anything like ROS i'll be happy

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:21 pm 

Face_your_fear_79 wrote:

So your happy with mostly forgettable tripe?

Like your reviews?

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:48 pm 

mjollnir wrote:
Face_your_fear_79 wrote:

Before people quibble with this, I challenge anyone to do a poll of any group of metalheads of their favorite Judas Priest album and share how many times the post re-union albums appear.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:08 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
... do a poll of any group of metalheads of their favorite Judas Priest album and share how many times the post re-union albums appear.

Does anyone think that the post reunion albums are better than any of the other JP albums?

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:30 am 

mjollnir wrote:
Face_your_fear_79 wrote:

Yes, that was definitely what he was saying, you're a genius.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:35 pm 

I asked the user a legitimate question. RoS is a sad attempt to regain past glory....just like Sabbath's 13, Manowar's re recording of KoM, and the new Metallica. Will the new album be any different? Doubt it. But you chiming in like that shows me how your post count got so high.

Like your reviews?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:12 pm 

mjollnir wrote:
RoS is a sad attempt to regain past glory....just like Sabbath's 13, Manowar's re recording of KoM, and the new Metallica. Will the new album be any different? Doubt it.

Yep. Also add new "Queensryche" albums to that list. I'm sure there are many more examples.

I really wish KK would form a new band with Ripper Owens. That might be worth hearing.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:49 pm 

Opus wrote:
John_Sunlight wrote:
... do a poll of any group of metalheads of their favorite Judas Priest album and share how many times the post re-union albums appear.

Does anyone think that the post reunion albums are better than any of the other JP albums?

I like AoR more than Rocka Rolla, Turbo, Ram It Down, Ripper era, and Point of Entry. Its nothing special or unique but it gets my head banging for the most part.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:58 pm 

MrMcThrasher II wrote:

That's my favourite track from Painkiller! Don't hear it praised too often.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:10 pm 

Ace_Rimmer wrote:
I like AoR more than Rocka Rolla, Turbo, Ram It Down, Ripper era, and Point of Entry. Its nothing special or unique but it gets my head banging for the most part.

Or to put that another way you like it less than Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin after Sin, Killing Machine, Stained Class, British Steel, Screaming for Vengeance, Defenders of the Faith, Ram it Down, and Painkiller.

Well that changed my perspective.

Diamhea wrote:
MrMcThrasher II wrote:

Really? I thought it was a show fav. It's such a good metal anthem.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:44 am 

Diamhea wrote:
MrMcThrasher II wrote:

It's anthemic. It's speedy. It doesn't overstay its welcome. It's a pretty fuckin awesome song.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:07 pm 

Sure its impressive that some geezer can actually move around a bit on stage...but at some point it becomes a shell of its glory

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:57 pm 

First taste...

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next