Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DrummingEdge133
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:48 pm
Posts: 1985
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:42 pm 
 

Was a rape kit performed on the woman? I can't seem to find any information on that.
_________________
Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
awheio
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:00 am
Posts: 523
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:46 pm 
 

Thanks to FasterDisaster for what appears to me to be a sound, agreeable post.

One more dialectical observation, although I think I'm done trying to participate: People tend to not only attribute strawmen to their opponents, but they tend to ignore the opponents with the best arguments, and focus instead on the easy targets. This is not productive. It would be better to ignore the stupidest posts -- or to treat them very quickly -- while instead engaging with the most sophisticated arguments among those one disagrees with. Otherwise, the dialectic stays at the level of the weakest.

Top
 Profile  
Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:29 am
Posts: 105
Location: South Yorkshire, United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:55 pm 
 

Burnyoursins wrote:

If your only opinion is "I hope justice prevails", why the hell did you say any of that shit in the first place? Because it sort of sounds like you want to lean more in the direction of, "Bitch is probably full of shit, but I'll pretend to have an open, completely unbiased mind."

I don't believe they had much of a reputation in the first place, buddy. I'm not stating it as absolutely fact.


Not once have I accused her of lying. That's your agenda and how you are choosing to interpret what I am saying. I've said three or four times that I cannot say who is telling the truth. Not sure how that's me accusing her of lying but so be it. Whatever the truth is, I hope it comes out. That might be justice. It seems to me you're the one with the biased mind as you've decided they're guilty.

To my mind it is a mistake to condemn someone for such a vile crime when we have such little evidence to go. Anyway, last response to you as it's a complete waste of time.


Last edited by Conan Troutman on Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top
 Profile  
FasterDisaster
Metal Pounder

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:08 pm
Posts: 8103
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:56 pm 
 

DrummingEdge133 wrote:
Was a rape kit performed on the woman? I can't seem to find any information on that.

If there is one unsung modern failing of the justice system, it's rape kits. Tens-of-thousands of rape kits are literally just sitting in evidence rooms. Some of these are starting to be processed, but I have no idea in what order or what priority which ones get. It's unfortunate.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 26256
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:01 pm 
 

FasterDisaster wrote:
And, once again, no current poster in this thread has stated, "well, the victim is very obviously lying!" Maybe one, possibly two people have stated that, and they're not being taken seriously by anybody here. Everybody else is stating, "it doesn't look good for Decapitated in regards to all we've read, but I'd like to wait until the trial to see the rest of the evidence and how it pans out."

So, what do you do? You pull so fucking hard in the other direction: "well, you're perpetrating rape culture!! You're the reason victims don't come forward!" No honey, straight-up victim blaming and "she was asking for it" perpetrates rape culture, and nobody here is signaling that as a serious opinion.

I hate the fact we've developed into a society, a culture that rewards making rash, uninformed judgements over calm, informed and measured ones.

But, here we are...

A number of posters acknowledging that it looks bad for Decapitated, and the victim is more-than-likely telling the truth, and before carving our opinions in stone for all of eternity, we're being shamed and having the entirety of "rape culture" foisted upon our shoulders. So continue on with your chest-pounding. It happened in the Nazi thread. It happened in the Las Vegas shooting thread. Now it has happened in this thread. Your logic is to, you guessed it, be as emotional impossible.

Goddamn man, what a fucking society we live in today. Civil discourse is fucking dead for this exact reason.

EDIT: Edited some small bits.


Jesus, you just don't stop, huh? I know I will regret this, but since you seem to want to make this extremely personal for whatever reason...

I stated my opinion that the "wait and see" rhetoric perpetuates a toxic part of our culture. People disagreed with me and I kept on replying to them. You and others seem hung up on the "if you think rape victims are lying, then you're garbage" comment - you can keep on crying about that if you want, but I'm going to stand by it. If you don't think rape victims lie, it doesn't apply to you. But a lot of other people here come close enough with the "well, let's just wait and see" rhetoric. Most of them never said "the band most likely did it"; they just prided themselves on not "taking a side" as if it were truly some 50/50 chance and they got a badge for being Noble and Enlightened. I disagreed with that. If you want me to water what I'm saying down, well, sorry I guess.

Civil discourse doesn't mean shit if the society still excuses rapists and is inherently skeptical of victims. It means nothing if the ideas being expressed so civilly and politely are terrible and toxic. I think some people here were verging on skepticism of the victim and disagreed, so I spoke about it. Nowhere did I single anyone out and attack their character or assume a thing about them, put rape culture "on their shoulders" or any such thing. If you're taking my posts here and assuming they're personal attacks, then it seems you are the one who can't hold a discussion.

You continually accuse me of being bad at holding these conversations, but the way you do this is no good either - it's all-or-nothing with you in a different way. So because nobody outright said "the victim is CLEARLY lying, fuck that bitch," I should just shut up about the larger issue of rape culture? Fuck that. If you disagree with my points, fine, go ahead, but I am unsure what kind of conversation you're after if you object to anything beyond 'well, it's too early to tell if this case is legit even though rape and sexual assault are normal and happen every day to women everywhere, but still, let's just wait and see.'

"Uninformed judgments," "rash judgments" - maybe if you ignore literally everything that makes up the context of rape and sexual assault in Western society. I don't see how those comments and garish simplifications are any different from me saying what I've said here. But you're the one on the high horse. Sure.

You also are totally wrong about what I said in the Vegas or Nazi threads, but it's pointless to bring that up as you've already made up your mind and so have I.

edit: About this in particular...

Quote:
"well, you're perpetrating rape culture!! You're the reason victims don't come forward!" No honey, straight-up victim blaming and "she was asking for it" perpetrates rape culture, and nobody here is signaling that as a serious opinion.


I literally never pointed fingers and said anyone was "THE reason" that victims don't come forward, etc. I said ideas being expressed in this thread were part of a larger system and culture that prevents that. This is why it is pointless to discuss this shit with you. You don't fucking understand anything.

And also no, there are many more layers and levels to it than just the worst kind of victim blaming. There are subtexts and subtleties in the way we react to these stories that, while it doesn't make us bad people, can sometimes be wrongheaded. I'm sure you will just take this and think I'm screaming insults at every person who disagrees with me and threatening to kill their mothers or something, so whatever I guess, I am screaming into a void.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: 47 Meters Down

Top
 Profile  
awheio
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:00 am
Posts: 523
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:23 pm 
 

Quote:
There are subtexts and subtleties in the way we react to these stories that, while it doesn't make us bad people, can sometimes be wrongheaded.


What this stuff really comes down to, I think, is this. Some people want to exercise the privilege of insulated reasoning: To be able to treat a case of alleged rape just like a case of some alleged triviality -- come in open-minded, consider the evidence, proportion one's degree of belief to the available evidence. Others point out that reasoning in this manner may have ethical ramifications in cases of alleged rape. For example, it may cultivate logical coldness, or outright skepticism. Some people say, "I still have the right to reason maximally logically, what people do with my reasoning be damned". Others say, "If your reasoning is made public and used for insidious ends, you should be more careful -- you're accountable for that".

Of course, along the way, there are many people motivated by subconscious misogyny, and others motivated by subconscious self-righteousness. Those sorts of subconscious biases should universally be treated as distorting errors. But we should meanwhile be able to reasonably disagree about the extent to which we can -- here, publicly but relatively privately (not many people read this) -- treat this case like one about my friend telling me Star Wars is cool (hearing his testimony, comparing it with other instances of his testimony, considering potential biases, and ultimately suspending judgment until I finally watch Star Wars).

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 26256
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:12 pm 
 

Well, sure. That seemed like a lot of words to say "we all have a lot of different opinions" to me, but sure. If you want to look at the case like your friend telling you to watch Star Wars that is fine by me, however I disagree as I've already said.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: 47 Meters Down

Top
 Profile  
ObservationSlave
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:27 pm
Posts: 951
Location: United States
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:47 am 
 

I think the issue a lot of people are having is there doesn't seem to be a lot of nuance when we are talking about people being accused of rape and those that accuse them. There really doesn't seem to be much of a fundamental disagreement between most of the people posting in this thread. We all know sexual assault is all too common and we all know that people sometimes lie about it, even if it is infrequently. I think we can all agree that this looks very bad for the members of Decapitated, and it is very likely that the victim is telling the truth. I absolutely think it is wrong to outright declare her as a liar.

But I also think it is wrong to outright declare the members of Decapitated as rapists. We can spend however long this whole thing takes to play out without casting any judgement, and if it turns out they did it, we will have the rest of our lives to call them rapists. I just don't see how it is beneficial to anyone to have your mind already made up at this point. I think the Duke lacrosse movie did a wonderful job of articulating this exact point. And they didn't have to victim blame or promote rape culture to do it.

Like I said, I think the members of Decapitated likely did commit the crime, but I don't think not wanting to label them as rapists is the same as calling the victim a liar. I don't want to do either of those things until each side has had the opportunity to present all of the evidence in court.

Top
 Profile  
Paganbasque
Veteran

Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:28 am
Posts: 3941
Location: Basque Country
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:01 am 
 

How some some people overreact with the typical attitude "with me or agains me" really desperates me. We are not living in the Middle Ages anymore, justice needs to do what justice usually does, find the truth and judge what has happened. And this can be done simultaneously with the legal, social and human protection of the victim. If the Decapitated member are rapists they will be judge like that, and I hope they are severely judged. At the same time the victim should be helped in every single aspect.

BUT seriously guys, stop judging people with no proof. Because no one here has more info than the published by some sites.

Top
 Profile  
Empyreal
The Final Frontier

Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 26256
Location: Where the dead rule the night
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:01 am 
 

ObservationSlave wrote:
I think the issue a lot of people are having is there doesn't seem to be a lot of nuance when we are talking about people being accused of rape and those that accuse them. There really doesn't seem to be much of a fundamental disagreement between most of the people posting in this thread. We all know sexual assault is all too common and we all know that people sometimes lie about it, even if it is infrequently. I think we can all agree that this looks very bad for the members of Decapitated, and it is very likely that the victim is telling the truth. I absolutely think it is wrong to outright declare her as a liar.

But I also think it is wrong to outright declare the members of Decapitated as rapists. We can spend however long this whole thing takes to play out without casting any judgement, and if it turns out they did it, we will have the rest of our lives to call them rapists. I just don't see how it is beneficial to anyone to have your mind already made up at this point. I think the Duke lacrosse movie did a wonderful job of articulating this exact point. And they didn't have to victim blame or promote rape culture to do it.

Like I said, I think the members of Decapitated likely did commit the crime, but I don't think not wanting to label them as rapists is the same as calling the victim a liar. I don't want to do either of those things until each side has had the opportunity to present all of the evidence in court.


If everyone had articulated that as well as you, maybe it would be easier to have a reasonable discussion. I wouldn't say there's much doubt in my mind that they're rapists really. And I also just don't think it matters if I do or don't call them that. It isn't like I have much power.

And yeah there really isn't much nuance here because the discussion is mostly in very broad terms. It's too early to discuss details of the case because there aren't that many yet. So we're just left with generalities.
_________________
Cinema Freaks latest reviews: 47 Meters Down

Top
 Profile  
Morrigan
Crone of War

Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:27 am
Posts: 12416
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:41 pm 
 

I have cleaned up the derail from PFF's misogynistic into a separate, locked thread for reference's sake. I understand it is tempting to respond to such amazingly stupid and hateful drivel, but I'd appreciate some restraint next time, or I'd just lock the thread for good and not bother with the cleanup. ;) (And yes, PFF, a long-time conspiracy theorist, homophobic, racist, misogynistic nutcase from the M-R days, has been perm'ed, shocking, I know.)

Now, back to the thread...

Rasha_yad wrote:
Neither is permabanning them.

The people who got perm-banned last time (and this time) were misogynistic, victim-blaming shitstains, and calmly explaining that to them isn't a good use of anyone's time. But, I'm sure you already knew that, you just couldn't resist the opportunity to whine.

Hell, PFF is a shining example. That guy has been spouting the same nutty drivel since 2002 or so (possibly earlier) back on the metal-rules forum days, and back then people would still often humour him and try to argue with him. If anything, he got worse over time.

Stupid assholes ain't worth it.

Required Fields wrote:
wahhh mah media coverage of metal ;_;

I swear, that has been your insipid take in every. single. story involving potentially bad people/scandals in metal since fucking 2002. Shut the fuck up already.

Vintersorrow wrote:
Three words: 12 Angry Men.

Go watch it, folks.

Watched it over a decade a go. Doesn't apply to people who aren't deliberating in a trial jury. Get out of there with this BS.

Burnyoursins wrote:
As someone involved in the kink scene, and specifically the rougher side of it, I'll let you in on a little secret. If a woman (or man) likes it rough, and likes using restraints (or being restrained), they don't generally hit up the local cop shop and accuse four people of kidnapping and rape. In fact, it's highly unlikely. Especially when it's an obscure (in the spheres of the music scene in general) death metal band from Poland, even if it was for a little time in the spotlight. They haven't released her name, and while this may get a bunch of local news coverage, it'll be for a very short period of time and will never reach farther than that. More than that, these dudes don't have any goddamn money, so unless the victim in question is a raving lunatic of the highest order, what could possibly be the reasoning behind a false accusation of this magnitude? Especially when, like Earthcubed said, these cases are notoriously hard to prove, and even harder to go through as a victim.

The wonderful thing about a thread like this is that educated speculation is totally okay. There are members of other bands they've toured with who've stated that in all likelihood, this did happen based on their own experiences with the band. If it turns out to be untrue (unlikely), then we can all feel like a bunch of morons for a little while and go back to enjoying their music (if you enjoyed their music in the first place.) If not, well, they got what they deserved and we can all feel vindicated for a little while before we all turn our attention elsewhere.

Burnyoursins wrote:
My, oh my have you ever grown. Amen, brother.

Let me be clear, people. If this woman was into BDSM (restraints, beating, etc.) you can bet your sweet ass that either some journalist would have gotten their hands on that information, or the cops and/or prosecuting lawyers would have been a bit more skeptical of her account, given that she'd probably have more than a few other marks (or scars) on her body and would have to explain them. It's funny that people who aren't even casually into kink (again, I'm making a pretty safe assumption) would say, "Well, maybe she's just into rough sex guys!", because anybody with any knowledge in that area would be quicker to assume she is, in fact, not into being kidnapped, restrained, and gang-banged by four dudes. That's not even a light kink, that's pretty heavy stuff, and chances are any woman into that sort of thing isn't doing it with four men (I assume) she hardly knows given the amount of negotiating that would go on before any sensible human being would get involved in that sort of thing. (Safe words, hard limits, soft limits, that sort of thing.) Just use your heads instead of trotting out moronic ideas which only serve to make you look like a douche canoe, as opposed to the wonderfully (and strangely, only in this case) skeptical mind who is only following the word of law. Which, by the way, just makes you look like a pretentious dickhead who quite clearly thought they had a serious career in legal matters ahead of them.

EDIT: I may have said "that sort of thing" more than is probably grammatical correct, oops.


Thank you for your perspective. People posting their ignorant shite about BSDM or kinks or whatever in this thread have seriously no idea what they're talking about. Or they're the typical concern trolling dipshits like Conan Troutman I guess.

Conan Troutman wrote:
Maybe she has an abusive partner who had been man handling her that evening before she left for he gig?

"Hey guys I'm not saying she's lying but maybe <insert incredibly far-fetched and borderline implausible alternative scenario for the 4th time>? Who knows! I'm just saying!"

Fuck. Off.

Empyreal wrote:
People seem to have a fundamental miscommunication or misunderstanding here. As MutantClannfear has said already, us thinking they probably did this shit is not some kind of damning indictment of guilt sending them to jail forever and ever and depriving the world of their music - we don't have any powers by law. If we turn out, somehow, to be totally wrong and they are innocent, I doubt anyone would say anything except 'oh, well, good that a horrible gang rape DIDN'T happen.' Obviously in a matter this serious, being wrong about it wouldn't be a bad thing.

It's not jumping to conclusions, taking sides, etc. It isn't being hasty. It's understanding that rape and sexual assaults happen in real life and more often than not, they are real and not made up for money or attention. It's a banal and simple thing. There's usually no conspiracy to be found.

So when I said previously that you're a piece of garbage for not believing rape victims, that was not meant to be anything damning against waiting for more evidence or thinking critically, etc. Obviously we are all doing that. That's what we're doing by default as time passes. Maybe more evidence will clarify the situation.

But most likely it happened the way the victim said.

It's about basic human compassion and making a society that isn't shitty. If you respond to stories like this with 'oh, well let's just wait and see, she could have been lying,' you're perpetuating a system of oppression that crushes sex assault and rape victims of both genders and of all different walks of life. This is a relatively non-significant area of society - just a metal forum online - but the mindset of doubting victims and thinking it's going to turn out differently than the mundane and simple facts of every-day rape and assault, minimizes the issue of sexual assault and creates an atmosphere where victims aren't encouraged to come forward. I think the best course is to see if any information comes out that proves the victim lied, because if it does, it will be straightforward and not some weird conspiracy. But again, most likely she didn't and it happened the way she did. Until you have concrete evidence otherwise, believe victims.

A lot of times, having a more balanced and critical view is a good thing, but here, by taking this "sensible" position you're really not helping anyone or doing anything positive. It's just devil's advocate stuff for no other reason than intellectual jerking-off. If you take elements of this case and put them in a bottle, without taking into account the prevalence of sexual assault in society, or the ways men get away with this kind of shit, then maybe it seems cool to you to go 'well, let's look at the other side.'

You should look honestly at what you're saying and see what you're defending. If it's just some nebulous concept like 'a fair trial' or 'not judging situations quickly,' maybe rape victims deserve more consideration than those things until you have some reason to believe there was something else going on. But really, assuming they did it is not some horrible emotional reaction or getting ahead of ourselves - it's normalcy.

Swing and... welp, knocked it out of the park. Thank you for this and your other posts.
_________________
Von Cichlid wrote:
I work with plenty of Oriental and Indian persons and we get along pretty good, and some females as well.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Top
 Profile  
asymmetricist
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:44 pm
Posts: 10
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:45 pm 
 

The prevalence of rape culture, misogyny and victim-shaming is a major and long-standing problem in society and has to be addressed, and naturally it's the overarching context in which any such case is embedded. At the same time, if we want to discuss this actual case rather than the wider societal problem, I think it's more productive to look at the specific information (such as it is) regarding a specific incident, involving specific persons, that occurred at a particular time in a particular place.

Following all the reports so far, it seems that what appeared to be a straightforward account of a disgusting and clear-cut crime is being gradually undermined by each new detail that emerges. Obviously the information has been coming very slowly, and in very small portions, so the best that outside observers can do is guesswork. But rather than venturing theories about what actually happened, let's consider those things seem to contradict the accusers' account.

- The women reported that after the band invited them for some friendly socializing in the bus, they started getting predatory and subsequently raped one of them, while the other escaped after kicking the vocalist in the balls. The woman who was raped was then carried outside and left somewhere.
- According to witnesses at the venue, events began with the women aggressively approaching the vocalist ('groping him'), to the point where one man almost called security. After spending time in the bus, the women then allegedly left it together and had a cigarette outside before walking away, looking 'angry'. The band's attorney claims there are witnesses stating that the women both entered and left the bus on good terms.
- The woman who said she had escaped was later pulled over by a police officer on suspicion of DUI. Eventually, after it looked like she would be getting charged, she told the officer that her friend had been raped by five men.
- The first officer to deal with the women said he did 'not have probable cause that a rape occurred.'
- According to the band's attorney, the main accuser has a history of false claims dating back to 2014.
- The band members weren't extradited until the expiry of the full 30-day period, after which they couldn't have been held any longer.

None of these elements prove anything on their own, but the overall picture they paint is certainly a more equivocal one than the original report indicated.

The topic of false rape allegations is often raised by misogynists as a widespread threat to malekind, while it's a demonstrably marginal phenomenon - only somewhere between 2% and 10% claims are considered false. I stumbled on an interesting and well-researched article examining why, in those few cases, such allegations are made: https://qz.com/980766/the-truth-about-f ... cusations/. It's only worth reading in full. These passages especially struck me in relation to the Decapitated case:

'When one looks at a series of fabricated sexual assaults [...] patterns immediately begin to emerge. The most striking of these is that, almost invariably, adult false accusers who persist in pursuing charges have a previous history of bizarre fabrications or criminal fraud.'

'False accusers almost never tell stories that could, by any stretch of the imagination, be seen as an innocent misunderstanding. In a study of false rape claims made to the Los Angeles Police Department, 78% involved claims of aggravated rape—assaults involving a gun or knife, gang rapes, and/or attacks resulting in injuries.'

As we know, the vast majority of the rapes that happen all the time around us occur in one-on-one situations between people who know each other to some extent; just as false accusations are a rarity, gang rapes by four strangers certainly are too. The author also states that false accusers especially often involve the support of a third party, for example a parent - and indeed, the mother of the main Decapitated accuser complained to the police about their lack of action, in contrast to the supposed fuss they make over petty crimes. It's worth noting that despite the power of rape culture in social attitudes, the authorities clearly took the two women very seriously in this case.

I'd like to know more about the above claim by Burnyoursins that 'There are members of other bands they've toured with who've stated that in all likelihood, this did happen based on their own experiences with the band.' All I came across in terms of character testimony were phrases like 'decent hard-working guys', 'chill dudes' and the like, which obviously have no evidentiary value, but are certainly a far cry from a reputation for sleazy behaviour.

Obviously people who aren't particularly interested in the band aren't going to use their time for amateur sleuthing. But anyone who wants to probe the knowns and unknowns of the case will already find a few things to look into, and probably more to come.


Last edited by asymmetricist on Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Top
 Profile  
MawBTS
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:16 am
Posts: 710
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:24 pm 
 

Quote:
- According to the band's attorney, the main accuser has a history of false claims dating back to 2014.


If anyone wants more details on this, I don't think there are any. The band's lawyer was quoted as saying "the accuser has a documented history of providing false information to the police dating back to 2014."

Even if this is true, it means nothing. What's a "documented history"? One time? What "false information" did she provide? Was it the victimless "no, I didn't know my taillight is broken" kind of false information that nearly everyone will give to the police at some point?

Even if the woman is a compulsive liar, there's still the fact that it wasn't her that reported the rape. It was a friend.

Quote:
- According to witnesses at the venue, events began with the women aggressively approaching the vocalist ('groping him'), to the point where one man almost called security.


How do we know this? Why was she allowed on the bus if she was being a nuisance?

The story has reached "well, my friend's uncle's grandma's goldfish was there and he saw..." stage, and we need to be careful about spreading misinformation.

Top
 Profile  
asymmetricist
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:44 pm
Posts: 10
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:58 am 
 

Quote:
If anyone wants more details on this, I don't think there are any. The band's lawyer was quoted as saying "the accuser has a documented history of providing false information to the police dating back to 2014."


Nothing online, sure. But the specificity of the time frame and the use of the word 'documented' suggest that there's more information there. If the only false information was about stealing peanuts from the corner shop, I somehow doubt the lawyer would have bothered trying to use that.

Quote:
Even if the woman is a compulsive liar, there's still the fact that it wasn't her that reported the rape. It was a friend.


Sure, though I don't know how that affects the question of veracity, especially as she brought it up surprisingly long after coming into contact with a police officer, despite having supposedly fled the bus.

Quote:
How do we know this? Why was she allowed on the bus if she was being a nuisance?


'Know'? A man who was there said it, so obviously he is either lying or telling the truth, like anyone else. This was his claim as reported by The Spokesman earlier this month:

Quote:
But a volunteer of The Pin, 412 W. Sprague Ave., where the show took place, said that after the show and before they were in the bus, that the two women were “groping” and “all over” the lead singer and another member of the band, touching their backs, sides and chests – “feeling them up” – to the point where the men asked security if they needed to be kicked out.


If they were allowed on the bus, then obviously someone deemed it unnecessary to remove them. Maybe the band liked it. Different people will have different opinions about what's permissible in such a situation.

Quote:
The story has reached "well, my friend's uncle's grandma's goldfish was there and he saw..." stage, and we need to be careful about spreading misinformation.


I'm just passing on what has been reported in an official media outlet, having been surprised by how sure most of the posters in this thread seem to be about the band's guilt. I'm not sure that qualifies as spreading misinformation, especially as I've emphasized that rather than saying 'This is what happened:', one should simply look at inconsistencies or contradictions, taking the women's report as the default and noting deviations that come from other sources than the band members themselves. As a longtime fan of the band, especially after the tragic bus accident in 2007, I was horrified to read the news and what seemed like a pretty conclusive report with little room for doubt. Accordingly, some of the things that have emerged have given me a little hope that it's not true, even if that's the statistically more unlikely scenario. That's all. If it were a band I care nothing about then I wouldn't bother, and would simply note later on what verdict was reached without trying to work anything out for myself. But that doesn't mean I'll cast doubt on any accusations simply because I don't want them to be true.

Top
 Profile  
satanic_neumann
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:01 pm
Posts: 365
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:28 am 
 

Good riddance of a garbage band nobody cares. Lack of getting laid gets along with their crappy music well.

Top
 Profile  
schizoid
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:35 am
Posts: 1517
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:59 am 
 

asymmetricist wrote:

I'm just passing on what has been reported in an official media outlet,


Source?
_________________
add me on Untappd! https://untappd.com/user/ChairmanDrew

Top
 Profile  
asymmetricist
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:44 pm
Posts: 10
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:23 am 
 

schizoid wrote:
asymmetricist wrote:

I'm just passing on what has been reported in an official media outlet,


Source?


http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/o ... ng-en-rou/

Top
 Profile  
awheio
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:00 am
Posts: 523
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:27 am 
 

Empyreal wrote:
Well, sure. That seemed like a lot of words to say "we all have a lot of different opinions" to me, but sure. If you want to look at the case like your friend telling you to watch Star Wars that is fine by me, however I disagree as I've already said.


Okay, while my post was conciliatory, I have to say that this exhibits super, super, super weak reading comprehension, and I am thus not surprised that botched debates follow you.

Top
 Profile  
Burnyoursins
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:59 am
Posts: 1022
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:52 am 
 

@asymmetricist: I can PM you, if you like. I'd rather not share my source of information in a public thread, this came through a few friends of mine. Also, to Morrigan, it's unfortunate that kink is used so often in these sorts of discussions as a means of attempting to explain scenarios in which a person involved in something like this could have sustained injuries, other than being raped. "They could be into some weird sexual stuff" is offered up as an explanation by people, who clearly have no experience with BDSM or any other sort of kink, more than I could possibly care to count.
_________________
My last.fm:
http://www.last.fm/user/OurFatherChaos

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

Top
 Profile  
asymmetricist
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:44 pm
Posts: 10
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:54 am 
 

Burnyoursins wrote:
@asymmetricist: I can PM you, if you like. I'd rather not share my source of information in a public thread, this came through a few friends of mine. Also, to Morrigan, it's unfortunate that kink is used so often in these sorts of discussions as a means of attempting to explain scenarios in which a person involved in something like this could have sustained injuries, other than being raped. "They could be into some weird sexual stuff" is offered up as an explanation by people, who clearly have no experience with BDSM or any other sort of kink, more than I could possibly care to count.


Yes, please do PM.

Top
 Profile  
Acidgobblin
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:56 pm
Posts: 2492
Location: Antarctica
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:36 pm 
 

Burnyoursins wrote:
@asymmetricist: I can PM you, if you like. I'd rather not share my source of information in a public thread, this came through a few friends of mine.


I think your conjecture earlier was kind of unfortunate then.
_________________
Where the cold winds blow...

Top
 Profile  
Unorthodox
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:08 pm
Posts: 1321
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:38 pm 
 

Generally speaking, I find these sort of topics an incredible waste of time to ponder about. I try my best to think about things I can actually gain knowledge from, but a few .com articles about a polish band raping some chick does not leave me with much. Could it have happen, could it not have happen- who the fuck knows? The media is a whore and only releases this shit for advertising revenue- otherwise, it'd be better if these sort of things were not available to the public until a verdict was actually made.


As fucked as it is though, whether true or not, Decapitated still makes great music..
_________________
Last.fm

Top
 Profile  
maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:33 pm
Posts: 566
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:25 pm 
 

To people who say they will stop listening to Decapitated because this. You are aware that the line up of the first 3 albums (the only decent ones of this band imo) only Vogg is still in the band. Not sure how you would let one guy being shitty ruin those albums for if you are a fan of those albums.

Top
 Profile  
cultofkraken
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:18 am
Posts: 1761
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:38 pm 
 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
To people who say they will stop listening to Decapitated because this. You are aware that the line up of the first 3 albums (the only decent ones of this band imo) only Vogg is still in the band. Not sure how you would let one guy being shitty ruin those albums for if you are a fan of those albums.


That was bugging me as well but I let it go. It’s not like it’s really the same band anymore. Still I will never support anything they do in future if they get convicted.
_________________
lord_ghengis wrote:
Tony the Peroy Slayer, bards shall sing your story.

Top
 Profile  
true_death
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:47 pm
Posts: 1496
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:06 am 
 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
To people who say they will stop listening to Decapitated because this. You are aware that the line up of the first 3 albums (the only decent ones of this band imo) only Vogg is still in the band. Not sure how you would let one guy being shitty ruin those albums for if you are a fan of those albums.


And furthermore, judging by what's known up to this point, most of the accusations seem to be pointed at the singer and bassist rather than Vogg. Look at this article which goes over the victim's statements - he's the only member who doesn't have a specific accusation which implies his direct involvement with the rape, in fact he's mentioned only by name for helping her put her clothes back on, and then helping carry her out of the bus. Also, he's the only member who cooperated with police and agreed to provide DNA samples. That said, if that's all accurate and he was a "bystander" or something I'd still love to know what the hell was going on in his mind and why he didn't try to stop it or alert someone...
_________________
"My lifestyle, determines my deathstyle"

Top
 Profile  
asymmetricist
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:44 pm
Posts: 10
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:11 am 
 

And yet his charges are just as severe, 1st degree kidnapping and 2nd degree rape.

Top
 Profile  
Rodman
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:15 am
Posts: 328
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:03 am 
 

Unorthodox wrote:
Generally speaking, I find these sort of topics an incredible waste of time to ponder about. I try my best to think about things I can actually gain knowledge from, but a few .com articles about a polish band raping some chick does not leave me with much. Could it have happen, could it not have happen- who the fuck knows? The media is a whore and only releases this shit for advertising revenue- otherwise, it'd be better if these sort of things were not available to the public until a verdict was actually made.


As fucked as it is though, whether true or not, Decapitated still makes great music..


That's an easily disproven claim.
_________________
https://thephosphorusbombs.bandcamp.com/ - 90s-style punk rock that unashamedly rips off Bad Religion, Propagandhi, Pennywise, Good Riddance et al.

Top
 Profile  
theposega
Mezla

Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:42 pm
Posts: 4990
Location: Yareth Ghanatan
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:39 am 
 

they made some good shit way back. Winds of Creation is as good as anything else from that time period. They hit the shitter when Vitek was still alive though, and have only sunk further and further since.
_________________
"Throw some soy beans in every room for me" - Lil B

Top
 Profile  
MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:01 pm
Posts: 1301
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:58 pm 
 

true_death wrote:
maidenpriestmanic wrote:
To people who say they will stop listening to Decapitated because this. You are aware that the line up of the first 3 albums (the only decent ones of this band imo) only Vogg is still in the band. Not sure how you would let one guy being shitty ruin those albums for if you are a fan of those albums.


And furthermore, judging by what's known up to this point, most of the accusations seem to be pointed at the singer and bassist rather than Vogg. Look at this article which goes over the victim's statements - he's the only member who doesn't have a specific accusation which implies his direct involvement with the rape, in fact he's mentioned only by name for helping her put her clothes back on, and then helping carry her out of the bus. Also, he's the only member who cooperated with police and agreed to provide DNA samples. That said, if that's all accurate and he was a "bystander" or something I'd still love to know what the hell was going on in his mind and why he didn't try to stop it or alert someone...

I didn't hear about that part of the story she gave. That's so bizarre.

To answer the question, maybe he didn't know what happened. Maybe he didn't know how to react. Lots of people can say how they'll react in am emergency situation, but until that emergency happens you really aren't tested.
_________________
Murtal wrote:
In flames became MeloDICK Death Metal

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Top
 Profile  
Apteronotus
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:07 am
Posts: 958
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:09 pm 
 

No, there's absolutely zero information to suggest one of the band members in particular was only a bystander. Just because the article names other band members specifically and then says “Waclaw (Kieltyka) helped her put her clothing on and carried her out of the bus with another male.” it doesn't mean you can just skip over the part that says “She saw in the mirror and out of the corner of her eye each of the band members taking turns raping her.”

As pointed out numerous times in the thread already, Kieltyka is one of the two band members being charged with second degree rape rather than third degree rape (which given the allegations that she saw each of them, this would suggest that two are alleged to have had intercourse with her without her consent (third degree rape) and the other two are alleged to have done the same but using forcible compulsion - aka using force to put someone into fear of imminent death or bodily injury). Arraignment is 10:30am on Tuesday the 24th.
_________________
Read my reviews/articles here: Contaminated Tones

Top
 Profile  
Required Fields
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:32 pm
Posts: 293
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:33 pm 
 

maidenpriestmanic wrote:
To people who say they will stop listening to Decapitated because this. You are aware that the line up of the first 3 albums (the only decent ones of this band imo) only Vogg is still in the band. Not sure how you would let one guy being shitty ruin those albums for if you are a fan of those albums.


If Vogg is indeed cleared of all wrongdoing, then yes, I will still be able to listen to those albums.

I've heard people say in the past that if a band had a member charged with a heinous crime like this, they'd only avoid the material that performer played on, and the other albums would be untainted.
_________________
Required Fields on YouTube

Top
 Profile  
asmfc
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:24 am
Posts: 99
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:35 am 
 

The thing that is disturbing to me is the lack of help "the friend" provided if that article is true. If she knew or suspected rape then why did she not report it, but chose to run and not call the cops? So maybe she should be charged as well. Strange story and the worst thing is that if they did do it its gang rape, if its a lie then people are going to use a case like this to "slut shame"a real victim. So there is no good to come out of cases like this, but hopefully no one got raped or hurt

Top
 Profile  
Apteronotus
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:07 am
Posts: 958
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:19 pm 
 

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/oct/24/polish-death-metal-band-members-plead-not-guilty-t/

All four band members pleaded not guilty and all of the band members have a trial date set for December 18th.

asmfc wrote:
The thing that is disturbing to me is the lack of help "the friend" provided if that article is true. If she knew or suspected rape then why did she not report it, but chose to run and not call the cops?


It may seem weird initially, but that kind of reaction is fairly common, there's a lot of research on it in the psychology world.
_________________
Read my reviews/articles here: Contaminated Tones

Top
 Profile  
Xlxlx
Argentinian Asado Supremacy

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:16 pm
Posts: 7743
Location: The Land Down Under (no, not THAT one)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:10 pm 
 

Bystander syndrome is indeed sadly common.
_________________
Napero wrote:
(...) Bolt Thrower is to the soul what coffee is to the earthly shell.

Top
 Profile  
asymmetricist
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:44 pm
Posts: 10
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:18 am 
 

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/d ... rom-jail-/

Top
 Profile  
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:16 am
Posts: 13839
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:13 am 
 

asymmetricist wrote:
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/dec/12/polish-death-metal-bandmembers-released-from-jail-/

Doesn't particularly mean anything at this stage, but seems like they'll be spending Christmas and the new year without family.

I want them to be innocent but, honestly, it's not looking good.

I'll likely still listen to their albums.
_________________
My collection
The Lions Den wrote:
Just vegan and faggots melo-tech-death for dad's fancy-ass. Fuck!!!

Top
 Profile  
asymmetricist
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:44 pm
Posts: 10
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:29 am 
 

MikeyC wrote:
Doesn't particularly mean anything at this stage


Release without payment of the bond (which was $100,000) is pretty unusual for such severe charges, and the moshing description certainly calls into question the assumption that the bruising was evidence of being restrained.

Top
 Profile  
swebarb
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:11 pm
Posts: 57
Location: Sweden
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:00 am 
 

It would be beyond stupidness to gangrape a woman while on tour playing as a band.. i really hope that cunt made it all up but who knows.. polish people are sadly perverts today.

Top
 Profile  
narsilianshard
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:22 pm
Posts: 1916
Location: Louisville
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:07 am 
 

Congrats on being able to cram ignorance, misogny, and racism into one tiny post you horrific piece of garbage.

Top
 Profile  
CoconutBackwards
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:02 pm
Posts: 381
Location: Walled Lake, MI
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:21 am 
 

narsilianshard wrote:
Congrats on being able to cram ignorance, misogny, and racism into one tiny post you horrific piece of garbage.


Combat hate with hate.
_________________
GTog:
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Derigin and 22 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

  Print view
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group