Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:55 pm 

Peyp wrote:
Looking forward to a release by Heidevolk (January 12) and of course, like people have already said: Arkona, Orphaned Land, and Summoning. I know that some people are probably going to appreciate a new Shining release too (January 5) but I've never listened to the band and I'm not sure if I should start there or go back to I.

Didn't know about new Heidevolk, cool.

YouWereMYGhost
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:58 pm 

A Perfect Circle, Immortal, and hopefully this Tool album will finally come out! I'm definitely stoked for possibility for a Triptykon record possibly coming out in 2018 as well. I'm sure 'ole Tom G. Warrior is/has been toiling and tinkering away at some super heavy shit so...fingers crossed!

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:26 am 

Teaser for Arkona's new one just released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d_OSwRclOo

I prefer my folk metal filled to the brim with folk instruments (especially woodwinds), and like Yav, the previews here make it seem like the new one will pretty bereft of them. My only hope is, that preview focused pretty much exclusively on parts with lead vocals, so maybe there'll be much more folk instrumentation during the instrumental parts. But Yav as a whole didn't have anywhere near as much folk instrumentation as I would like, so I don't know.

It just doesn't make sense, as soon as they make Vladimir wolf a full time member, they utilize him a hell of a lot less, and continue down the path of not utilizing him that much.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:50 am 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:

I prefer my folk metal filled to the brim with folk instruments (especially woodwinds), and like Yav, the previews here make it seem like the new one will pretty bereft of them. My only hope is, that preview focused pretty much exclusively on parts with lead vocals, so maybe there'll be much more folk instrumentation during the instrumental parts. But Yav as a whole didn't have anywhere near as much folk instrumentation as I would like, so I don't know.

It just doesn't make sense, as soon as they make Vladimir wolf a full time member, they utilize him a hell of a lot less, and continue down the path of not utilizing him that much.

Guess we'll never be Arkona-bros because listening to this has made me mega-excited because Yav is my favorite Arkona album by far. It does have less folk instrumentation but it has more variety, more prog influence, more drama, and a more mystical vibe than their other work (if ya ask me). It would be nice to add folk instrumentation to that mix, but they did great work while focusing on the vocals and creative songwriting so I'm not complaining. Besides, isn't the human voice the most important folk instrument of all? :P

This sounds a bit darker than Yav. A dark Yav? w00t

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:57 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:

Guess we'll never be Arkona-bros because listening to this has made me mega-excited because Yav is my favorite Arkona album by far. It does have less folk instrumentation but it has more variety, more prog influence, more drama, and a more mystical vibe than their other work (if ya ask me). It would be nice to add folk instrumentation to that mix, but they did great work while focusing on the vocals and creative songwriting so I'm not complaining. Besides, isn't the human voice the most important folk instrument of all? :P

This sounds a bit darker than Yav. A dark Yav? w00t

What the previews showed did sound pretty good objectively, but it's not really music I would chose to listen to. Aside from folk metal with lots of flutes and shit, I don't really listen to extreme metal much. I'm more of a trad doom/heavy/power/70s metal guy. Some of the ideas in the previews did sound pretty cool, but I don't know if I could take a whole album's worth of it. We'll see.

EDIT: Oh jeez, the album's long as fuck too. :ugh:

jjohn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:00 pm 

jjohn wrote:
Let me think:

6. Howling Sycamore's debut. Davide Tiso's new project, I'm not sure if it's set for 2018 or it will be released in 2017. CD's being printed apparently but so far nothing else has been released, so I kinda doubt they will release without any promotion

and there is a date, cover , setlist an first single now.

January 26 2018

First single is amazing musically. Lamont guest stars with his saxophone and just grows crazy. But the vocals...
I remember when I saw the line-up that i was wondering how the singer -being only in heavy metal bands- would cope with extreme vocals. Turns out he doesnt. He sings like he's in Iron Maiden. Weird combination for sure...

Larval Divination
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:20 pm 

I've heard rumours of a new Pseudogod is in the works. Bound to be AOTY!

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:51 pm 

New (and final?) Panphage in January, yes please.

https://www.facebook.com/nordvis/photos ... =3&theater

Quote:
PANPHAGE 'Jord' (January 12th, 2018)

Hear the horn of Heimdall which signals the coming of the end. It is time to return home. Jord - the swedish word for soil - is that which, through the bonds of debt and inheritance, links us in the chain of time to the past to those who came before and those who will come after us. The soil which fed us is also the earth in which we will be interred and we are hereby invited to see the funeral pyres as Panphage is laid to rest in the soil of the fathers.

Toiling in the underground for over a decade before his first full-length, 2015's "Storm", sole musician Fjällbrandt, much like Jord - the giantess and mother of the god of thunder - gave birth to lightning and took the black metal world quite literally… by storm. Now on his third and final album, "Jord", an ode to heritage and to the death and rebirth of earth, Panphage continues his meditations on Swedish folk songs which came before him -- black metal which feels as ancient as the stories which fuel it. Still as furious as ever, but wiser now, Fjällbrandt's force continues to focus; a hidden enormity driving through the blistering snow and cracked earth which shaped his art.

Much like Jord before him, Panphage's now returns to the shadows beneath, letting his own lightning son extend into eternity.

frostyj66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:21 am 

OF those already mentioned I'm also eagerly awaiting new Summoning (not going to listen to leak), Batushka, Sulphur Aeon and Immortal.

I'll also add Cryptopsy. The last EP was pretty phenomenal. Not sure if they're planning on sticking to the EP/Tome format but I need more.

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:50 am 

Larval Divination wrote:
I've heard rumours of a new Pseudogod is in the works. Bound to be AOTY!

great news if true, the debut is fantastic - hopefully they can keep up the quality

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:41 am 

Erdve - Vaitojimas (February 9, 2018)

Not on Metal Archives yet, but this new band on Season of Mist is sounding exquisite from this one track. Has a strong black metal feel.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:33 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Monstrosity

If only. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed but a whole hell of a lot that's done!!

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:07 am 

Not quite metal, but Monster Magnet announced a new album called "Mindfucker" for March, and Wyndorf claimed that it was heavily inspired by the Stooges/MC5 Detroit sound, so I'm really looking forward to whatever comes out of it. I thought both Last Patrol and Mastermind were awesome.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:34 am 

I jump on the Arkona train, i had a good feeling before and now i enjoyed a lot the song they just relased

Kontinuum are in studio, it's plausible that the new album will land next year.. Kyrr was mind blowing for me, i'll be happy even if it's half that beautiful :lol:

Also i'm pretty curious about Immortal, even if i expect something like Demonaz's solo project with more blast beats than usual

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:11 pm 

TheWaltzer wrote:
Not quite metal, but Monster Magnet announced a new album called "Mindfucker" for March, and Wyndorf claimed that it was heavily inspired by the Stooges/MC5 Detroit sound, so I'm really looking forward to whatever comes out of it. I thought both Last Patrol and Mastermind were awesome.

Same here. Although I enjoy everything they’ve done to varying degrees, the last two in particular rank amongst their best for me. The reinterpretations are also both fresh while still being familiar, which is precisely what a companion piece should be and both of them hit the mark.

One of the really good, genuine rock bands over the last 25-plus years.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

~Guest 417309
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:23 pm 

I'm also pumped for Mindfucker. Monster Magnet is amazing. Title track sounds great. Wyndorf is looking a lot healthier too, dude must've lost forty lbs at least.

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:20 am 

nekrosonic wrote:
I'm also pumped for Mindfucker. Monster Magnet is amazing. Title track sounds great. Wyndorf is looking a lot healthier too, dude must've lost forty lbs at least.

AFAIK, he quit (hard) drugs a few years ago, which usually makes people substitute it with other vices and put on weight. I'll take this as a sign that he's definitely healthier. I saw them live like 5 years ago and Wyndorf was not exactly too healthy-looking.

... they just announced a big European tour yesterday and they're NOWHERE close, fuck. The closest place is Nuremburg, which is like 600 km away.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

~Guest 417309
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:01 am 

I'm hopin they tour the states in the autumn or winter next year or something. I had tickets to see them on the Last Patrol tour but ended up getting massively sick and missing it, so I need to settle that score lol. Also it's time for them to drop that acid-folk unplugged album Dave's been hinting at since Mastermind.

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:28 pm 

Duplicate records just published 3 songs from the upcoming Organ: album, to be released in 2018. It has always been rather mysterious project, vibrating with some Ved buens ende-like atmosphere. I like what I heard, and I am looking forward to hear the rest!
https://duplicaterecords.bandcamp.com/a ... pectations

I guess that new Sculptured album is pushed to 2018, cant wait to hear it. Embodiment was really hard to swallow, but at the end I loved the album.

Khanus are going to release their Flammarion in 2018. These finns are playing highly avant-gardistic/experimental/dissonant kind of metal. Their first EP is already great stuff, and I just cannot wait what are they going to show on the next release!

Iron pegasus records will release new album by Necromaniac. I loved the Morbid Metal demo, the bass on that record is fucking incredible, The One is involved in a bunch of interesting projects/bands.

Not a release, but I am curious how a live re-activation of legendary Tormentor will look like. Hopefully life will give me an opportunity to see them.

Russian_BladderStorm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:00 pm 

Primordial - Exile Amongst the Ruins

Not much is known other than the record is set to be released in March. Hopefully we will see a new track pop up early in the new year.

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:06 pm 

Russian_BladderStorm wrote:

Great news indeed. They are touring with Moonsorrow and Der Weg einer Freiheit in April which will be a great show to see.

OceanOfViolence
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:42 pm 

hallowed78 wrote:
Russian_BladderStorm wrote:

Great news indeed. They are touring with Moonsorrow and Der Weg einer Freiheit in April which will be a great show to see.

Good lord. I'm guessing this is Europe?

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:51 am 

OceanOfViolence wrote:
Good lord. I'm guessing this is Europe?

Yes. They call it the Heathen Crusade (https://www.facebook.com/HeathenCrusade/)

On another note, Karl Willets just announced new Memoriam for March 17th. It's called The Silent Vigil.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:55 pm 

hm didn't the debut just come out a few months ago?

jjohn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:09 pm 

Today Indie Recordings released a video saying Merry Christmas and teased its 2018 releases. Solefald was also name dropped so hopefully it means we'll have something out :)

Also Cornelius has a new album with Sturmgeist 'Operation Zion' but I'm not sure if it's available to buy just yet or it's going to be out in January...
There is a video-clip on youtube and it's hilarious :P (and kinda catchy in a weird way :P)

CircleovZaphyan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:00 am 

Funeral Mist
Grand Belials Key
Absurd
Mare
Abyssic Hate

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:46 pm 

jjohn wrote:
Today Indie Recordings released a video saying Merry Christmas and teased its 2018 releases. Solefald was also name dropped so hopefully it means we'll have something out :)

Also Cornelius has a new album with Sturmgeist 'Operation Zion' but I'm not sure if it's available to buy just yet or it's going to be out in January...
There is a video-clip on youtube and it's hilarious :P (and kinda catchy in a weird way :P)

New Solefald would be fantastic, but I remenber how World metal was released years after the initial announcement, so it may take a while...
As much as I like them, I dont believe they will ever release something as great as Neonism and Harmonia universali again.

Oh! and if I am not wrong, Andy Winter posted on facebook that new Age of Silence album is nearing its completion, plans are to release it in 2018.

And now, more in the relams of dreams, I hope that 2018 will bring at least some small updates on debut God of atheists album (quite possible) and second Spiral arcitect album (less possible).

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:47 pm 

The new Necrophobic is due out Feb 23. First album with the "Nocturnal Silence" vocalist Anders Strokirk since he came back to the band. They are really going back to the old days with the artwork which is done by Necrolord

Spoiler: show

Kind of reminds me of the artwork from Darkside.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:54 pm 

I Am the Law wrote:
The new Necrophobic is due out Feb 23. First album with the "Nocturnal Silence" vocalist Anders Strokirk since he came back to the band. They are really going back to the old days with the artwork which is done by Necrolord

Spoiler: show

Kind of reminds me of the artwork from Darkside.

Ooooooh shit. That has me hyped. Seeing them in February I hope they play a new track from this.

Lionel Fauquier
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:50 pm 

I'm somewhat looking forward to the upcoming Iron Angel album . The pre released track they came out with isn't bad , though I'm a bit apprehensive about the polished sound it has . I hope it's not going to be a Winds of War part 2 , since I much prefer the occult speed metal sound they had on Hellish Crossfire .

~Guest 406599
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:44 pm 

Primordial
Void of Silence ( And I wonder who will be their new vocalist ..)

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:08 am 

Deicide
whatever Roger Beaujard releases
Surprisingly, it's really possible a new Dark Funeral album.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:50 am 

Next year has so far...

Seasons of the Wolf
Slough Feg
Pharaoh
Deceased
Jack White, for a non-metal addition

So this is fucking great for me really.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:53 am 

Sulphur Aeon
Cattle Decapitation
Misery Index
Inferi
Augury
Portal
Kalmah
Saxon

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:51 pm 

Cattle Decapitation won’t be until 2019. There was a recent interview with Travis where he said the band haven’t begun writing anything in earnest yet but will do so this coming year, which makes sense considering how much they’ve been touring.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:56 pm 

Hypocrisy might suprise next year...

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:17 pm 

Vanhelga and Hypothermia, even though I wasn't very impressed with kaffe and blod 2.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:39 pm 

Abysmal Grief is putting out a new full length on January 13, called Blasphema Secta. I was underwhelmed with 2015's Strange Rites of Evil, as it seemed just like more of the same. I hope they deviate a little from their formula for this one.

MA only mentions a vinyl release for the album, but I've seen preorders for a CD release on a couple sites.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:48 pm 

Fucking Pagan's Mind! I'm hoping for a new Triosphere album but I doubt that's coming.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:23 am 

PvtNinjer wrote:
Fucking Pagan's Mind! I'm hoping for a new Triosphere album but I doubt that's coming.

Triosphere has been consistent with every 4 years so far, so I wouldn't be surprised with a 2018 release. As far as I know though, they haven't given any indications of a new album.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next