Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:03 am 

DoomMetalAlchemist wrote:
Witch Mountain, female fronted doom metal from Oregon, are releasing their 5th album, called Witch Mountain, on May 25. This is their first album with new singer Kayla Dixon.

Press release with stream of single Burn You Down: http://theobelisk.net/obelisk/2018/03/12/witch-mountain-self-titled-release

I really like Burn You Down, Kayla sounds fantastic, and the music is great too. Really looking forward to this.

I've been looking forward to this and her voice sounds incredible. I really wish she could've stuck with Helion Prime though as that combo seemed promising.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:47 pm 

Ugh, I wish she suck with Helion Prime too. Saw one of her only shows with the band last summer and she was incredible. Probably for the best, through, since having three singers in 18 months is a solid sign of a toxic environment.

Really hoping Witch Mountain can bring back some of that South of Salem glory. Haven't been impressed with anything since then.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:18 pm 

New Eternal Alchemist and Wiegedood albums coming out very soon! Top notch black metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7UPEMs8iao

There's a video for a new Wiegdood track, but do not watch it at work, like I started to, and probably just do not watch it at all, just listen.

Last edited by Sick6Six on Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:31 pm 

Only one song out but this could be promising. From Unspeakable Axe Records, which has had some killer releases:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvsmUbotI_o

When I stumbled upon this last night I was listening to Henbane, so maybe having CdG on the brain is influencing my reaction, but I'm finding comparisons between the two easy to make: the weird, declamatory vocals; the shifting rhythms between blasting and pounding; the repetitive, hypnotic section with the creepy chanting -- it's like a death metal Cultes des Ghoules song condensed down to a third of the length. Whoever you'd like to compare it to, the song very much rules and sounds more impassioned and creative than much of what's out there. And obviously ... that cover art, yowza.

Out July 22.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:11 pm 

That tremolo guitar tone and some of the pace on the drums immediately reminds me of post-2000 Incantation, but the rest is... well, different. I'm playing Extrinsic Pathway solely out of sheer curiosity. Thanks I guess. ;)

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:47 pm 

Damn, new wiegedood already? That last one was a beast.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:20 am 

DeathfareDevil wrote:
Only one song out but this could be promising. From Unspeakable Axe Records, which has had some killer releases:

Spoiler: show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvsmUbotI_o

When I stumbled upon this last night I was listening to Henbane, so maybe having CdG on the brain is influencing my reaction, but I'm finding comparisons between the two easy to make: the weird, declamatory vocals; the shifting rhythms between blasting and pounding; the repetitive, hypnotic section with the creepy chanting -- it's like a death metal Cultes des Ghoules song condensed down to a third of the length. Whoever you'd like to compare it to, the song very much rules and sounds more impassioned and creative than much of what's out there. And obviously ... that cover art, yowza.

Out July 22.

Yeah, okay... That Wolves of Thirteen was pretty fucking awesome. Will be keeping an ear out for this. Hearing some Absu and some one else I can't point out right now in there. Definitely intrigued.

My collection

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:12 pm 

First single off Cruachan's upcoming album, Nine Years of Blood, due April 27.

Cruachan - The Harp, the Lion, the Dragon and the Sword

I dig it.

TrachomaSlayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:58 pm 

First single off Cruachan's upcoming album, Nine Years of Blood, due April 27.

Cruachan - The Harp, the Lion, the Dragon and the Sword

I dig it.

My favorite thing about Cruachan, apart from the music of course, is that Keith is big into retro games.

I lost my shit at the last minute of that song by the way, love those violin runs intertwined like a Celtic knot with those guitar parts!

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:06 am 

I haven't heard of Autokrator before but from the one track sampled off here it seems like it's going to be a pretty massive album. The most impressive sounding death doom I've heard since Lord Mantis' Death Mask.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:12 am 

Always excited to hear anything new from Czral, Blasphemer and Apollyon, especially when it's all three of them and it's under the banner of fucking Aura Noir

A Backwards 6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:03 am 

vital remains?

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:04 pm 

I heard in an interview from last year that a new Saint Vitus album with Scott Reagers was in the works for April or May 2018 but I assume it is delayed since I haven't seen anything else about it.

All the songs are written already apparently so hopefully it is just a matter of time. I loved "Lillie F:65" but definitely want to hear another album with Reagers.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:11 pm 

BeholdtheNicktopus wrote:
I heard in an interview from last year that a new Saint Vitus album with Scott Reagers was in the works for April or May 2018 but I assume it is delayed since I haven't seen anything else about it.

All the songs are written already apparently so hopefully it is just a matter of time. I loved "Lillie F:65" but definitely want to hear another album with Reagers.

I think the most I saw was a live clip of the band in between playing songs and one of the members said they were "thinking about" making a new album with Reagers. I really hope this comes to pass. No disrespect against Wino, but Reagers is on a whole other level of doom metal singers. One of the most original sounding singers in the genre, and has a voice like a madman. Again, nothing against Wino, but it's a damn shame Reagers didn't last longer in the business. Really one of a kind.

On a somewhat related note, does anyone know why Mark Adams is no longer in the band?

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:16 pm 

Here's the source: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/co ... r_may.html

From pretty recently so who knows what is going on! I am firmly in the "both Wino Vitus and Reagers Vitus are classic Vitus" camp. "Die Healing" was so insanely good, yeah no one sounds like Reagers. He says he is too much of a "perfectionist" to sing in any band but Vitus!

All I have seen on Mark Adams is health reasons. Dave mentions it in the video interview I posted but doesn't get specific.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:39 pm 

Count me in for new Saint Vitus with Scott. It’s still possible there might be an announcement soon for an end of May/early June release but if not, at least it seems certain that there is a new, finished album with him on the way eventually.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:01 am 

New Black Majesty, "Children of the Abyss," out in September. Hoping for a return to anything they did before the last album.

Sarkhasm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:16 am 

Only thing immediately coming to mind is Autokrator: Hammer of The Heretics.
I'm so busy catching up on 2017 stuff I probably won't give 2018 a proper look until next year.
Definitely referring back to this thread though later.

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:28 pm 

new Inferi track!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldv1Hi4S1Ok
damn!!!

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:56 pm 

Empyreal wrote:

New Black Majesty, "Children of the Abyss," out in September. Hoping for a return to anything they did before the last album.

By "last album," you mean "Stargazer," right? That was an awesome album and it's a shame they haven't released anything since then.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:45 pm 

Delusion can be a powerful thing...

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:00 am 

New Aborted being prepared for consumption this fall...

“We have some exciting news to share with you all - as many of you know, we entered the studio to start the recording of our new studio album which will be called “TerrorVision”. Expect nothing less than brutal death metal on the highest level, enriched by the dark melodic twist of our latest EP, “Bathos”. “TerrorVision” is set to be released on September 21, 2018 via Century Media Records.”

Aborted’s vocalist Sven De Caluwe comments:
“So here we are, at it again. We just spent a little over two weeks recording the follow up to Retrogore, entitled TerrorVision at the mighty Kohlekeller Studios in Germany. Tracking is coming to its end, and it's been a record we poured a ton of work in over the last year or so. This is actually the first record we were able to do full pre-productions for and had Kohle involved in with since the beginning, and let me tell you, the result is there. We all feel very proud and strongly about how this beast is shaping. Get ready for the most ambitious, varied and brutal Aborted record so far. Kohle has been pushing us beyond the limit of what we have ever done and stuff is sounding massive; always a pleasure to have him involved."

They’ve been on as good of a roll as any band in death metal since their awesome turnaround on “Global Flatline,” and to see them continuing down the path of nostalgic 80s horror for a theme is personally delightful. Same lineup as “Bathos” which is the first time they’ve maintained it for consecutive releases in... well... probably ever or at least feels like it, and they’ve definitely established Kristian Kohlmannslehner as their producer now.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:14 am 

Global Flatline was amazing and I think it's their best album yet. Since then, they have been good but haven't quite reached the same heights, personally. I hope with the new album they are able to blow me away once more. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:37 pm 

Finally some news about one of my favorite black/doom bands! Norway's Faustcoven just announced a new album early this fall through NWN! Hellfire and Funeral Bells was one of my favorite albums of 2011 and wondered if we would ever see another from them. Black Sabbath mixed with 2nd wave black metal, whats not to like!?

http://www.nwnprod.com/?p=9830

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:54 pm 

So there will be new Marduk. Cool striking cover, different. (Assuming that is in fact the cover.)
June 22

And apparently Aurora Borealis has a new one coming May 15. A perennially frustrating band, always seemingly juuuust approaching something great but held back by the vocals, the arrangements, the production, I don't know. I feel like Ron Vento needs to get a co-writer/second guitarist/vocalist or something. I dig his riffs and overall vision for the band (and the artwork has always been cool), but not just his vocals but the way the words are put to music grates on me. I guess I just have a weird allegiance to this band going back to the Metal Maniacs forum days.

Sample track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzeRIviEqo4

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:22 am 

I'm down for some new Marduk. I hope that is the cover. Minimalist but works quite nicely.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:49 am 

The new Hatchet record is off to a great start!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pic7fpt8_SU

Not thrilled with the cover art, but I'm sure the music will be as awesome as the other three records.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:14 pm 

DeathfareDevil wrote:

And apparently Aurora Borealis has a new one coming May 15. A perennially frustrating band, always seemingly juuuust approaching something great but held back by the vocals, the arrangements, the production, I don't know. I feel like Ron Vento needs to get a co-writer/second guitarist/vocalist or something. I dig his riffs and overall vision for the band (and the artwork has always been cool), but not just his vocals but the way the words are put to music grates on me. I guess I just have a weird allegiance to this band going back to the Metal Maniacs forum days.

Sample track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzeRIviEqo4

Thanks for that. I got the email about a new album, but couldn't find a track at all.I kind of get what you mean about the frustration. The vocals are also just on top of everything, never let the music do the talking on its own.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:24 pm 

DeathfareDevil wrote:
So there will be new Marduk. Cool striking cover, different. (Assuming that is in fact the cover.)
June 22

Hmmm...

For black metal fans, a Norwegian band I just discovered will be releasing a full length later this year. They had an EP in 2015 Conjuring the Red Death Eclipse, which while not reinventing the genre, has a charm and feel of it's own - pretty damn awesome really, so I look forward to the new album this year Phantasmal Triunity. Should be good. Cover art reminds me of Obliteration - Black Death Horizon, which is nice.

Nachash

My collection

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:53 pm 

Centaurus-A, who released the well received Side Effects Expected in 2009, has recently announced on their Facebook page that they will finally be releasing a follow up. It will be called Means of Escape.

Months ago they gave us the below single, but then nada. About an hour ago though they said the album will finally come out.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:18 pm 

I quite liked Side Effects Expected, but haven't really kept up with news from these dudes. I'll be very keen to hear the new album when it's out, though. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:50 am 

Argentine folk metallers Triddana premier a single off their forthcoming album:

Triddana - Dare to Tame Me

I like it. When their last album came out I was not at all enthused by the vocals of guitarist Juan Jose Formes, as former vocalist, the astounding Diego Valdez left the band at the last minute, and I very heavily felt Juan Jose Formes vocals didn't measure up. This time around I am liking them more, but that may be because I've come to accept that Diego Valdez is gone.

---------------------------------------------------

Some live footage of new material from Tyrant of Too Late to Pray fame, new album coming out 2018 on Shadow Kingdom Records:

https://www.facebook.com/172515856798/videos/10155645760226799/

Quite a bit doomier than I'm used to from them, I wonder if that has anything to do with their new vocalist being Robert Lowe of Solitude Aeturnus and Candlemass fame.

BeholdtheNicktopus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:20 pm 

Anybody heard anything about the new Obed Marsh, "Dunwich", that was (I think?) supposed to come out at the tail end of last year? I thought "Innsmouth" was basically a masterpiece (Link: https://obedmarsh.bandcamp.com/album/innsmouth). For fans of Lovecraft and the more extreme end of doom metal, "Innsmouth" was heavily themed, obviously, on the Lovecraft story "The Shadow over Innsmouth."

I wonder if "Dunwich" is going to have a different musical palette from the watery, gurgly, wave-like one of "Innsmouth", to fit the different theme. Maybe something drier, more savage? More necro or cosmic? Hard to predict, but I really hope it stands up to the perfect immersion of the debut!

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:22 pm 

Argentine folk metallers Triddana premier a single off their forthcoming album:

Triddana - Dare to Tame Me

I like it. When their last album came out I was not at all enthused by the vocals of guitarist Juan Jose Formes, as former vocalist, the astounding Diego Valdez left the band at the last minute, and I very heavily felt Juan Jose Formes vocals didn't measure up. This time around I am liking them more, but that may be because I've come to accept that Diego Valdez is gone.

I was upset when I first heard Valdez left, but I have actually grown to prefer Fornes as the vocalist. I just think his voice suits the music better. Valdez is great in a more straight up heavy/power metal act like Helker or Electro_Nomicon, but Fornes' voice really works with the folky aspects of Triddana. The acoustic album they did last year was kind of cool, but ultimately I am much more looking forward to a proper full length album.

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:02 pm 

Xymosys wrote:
Still waiting for some Hypocrisy update...

Looks like something could be coming soon-ish, since they are "warming up the engines" again by announcing a tour with Kataklysm!

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/katakl ... pean-tour/

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:08 pm 

A Forest of Stars said they were entering the studio at the end of last year haven’t heard anything so since, still looking forward to this if it happens such an awesome band, each album is different from the next.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:45 am 

New Hoth coming in June, sounds good. That cover art is wicked but I'll let you click through to see it (or check it here on the archives.)

https://hothmusic.bandcamp.com/album/astral-necromancy

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:17 am 

Don’t know if anyone mentioned it yet but the new Runemagick is due out June. I’m super pumped.

DoomMetalAlchemist
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:01 am 

Second single off Cruachan's upcoming album. I didn't like it anywhere near as much as the first single.

Cruachan - Queen of War

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:06 am 

DeathfareDevil wrote:
New Hoth coming in June, sounds good. That cover art is wicked but I'll let you click through to see it (or check it here on the archives.)

https://hothmusic.bandcamp.com/album/astral-necromancy

Shit, I'll have to keep my eye on this. Just got into Oathbreaker a couple months ago and I think it may be a modern black metal classic.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next