Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Frozen218
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:31 pm 

I'd like to challenge anyone who has praised Piles of Little Arms to name one A-F Morbid Angel song it matches in quality. Bring it.

Last edited by Frozen218 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KinskiTemper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:38 pm 

Frozen218 wrote:
I'd like to challenge anyone who has praised Pile of Little Arms to name one A-F Morbid Angel song it matches in quality. Bring it.

A good song is a good song, it doesn't have to be better than previous works. And besides, I could name A-F Morbid songs that it is better than.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:09 pm 

Now that Piles of Little Arms has grown on me, I'd say it's better than almost all of Domination. So if I only have to name one, Piles > Dawn of the Angry.

Frozen218
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:29 pm 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
Now that Piles of Little Arms has grown on me, I'd say it's better than almost all of Domination. So if I only have to name one, Piles > Dawn of the Angry.

No offense, but the cognitive dissonance in this thread is mind-boggling.

The first riff alone obliterates Piles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYtb0f6rI00

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:47 pm 

I'm not emotionally invested enough in Morbid Angel to suffer from "cognitive dissonance" when evaluating their work. They're a metal band with some songs I like and some I don't, regardless of whether the song is old or new, or who's doing vocals.

I didn't like Piles at all on first listen, but it grew on me. Dawn of the Angry never did, and is one of the reasons I sold my copy of Domination years ago and don't regret it. Seeing the notes written out and played by Ghostface from Scream isn't going to make me appreciate a song I find groovy in an annoying, repetitive way.

Want another example? I like Piles more than Hatework too.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:48 pm 

Frozen218 wrote:

The cognitive dissonance in this statement is mind-boggling ("No offense - but your opinion is incorrect & invalid" :lol:).

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:14 pm 

I liked "Piles..." better than "Caesar's Palace". By the way, if "selling out" = doing something you did previously, "Caesar's Palace" literally reused riffs from "Blessed Are the Sick".

Godfryd
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:05 am 

Come on People, "Piles of Little Arms" sounds very Covenant-ish, like some less-promoted tracks from that album. If the rest will be like "Piles" than this album is going to have a very strong Covenant vibe.

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:50 am 

Hey hey, let's go easy on the shit-talking about "Caesar's Palace" (those wooshing noises, mysterious keyboarding, that dumb lyrical content - what more could you ask for?).

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

Sunioj_Paul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:37 am 

Can someone put a link up for this track, can't find it anywhere, even YouTube. Cheers.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:50 am 

Frozen218 wrote:
I'd like to challenge anyone who has praised Piles of Little Arms to name one A-F Morbid Angel song it matches in quality. Bring it.

So its the best song of their career you say? Tastes vary.

Edit: I misread that, more coffee needed.

Last edited by Ace_Rimmer on Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:13 am 

Yeah, I had to read it a few times to correctly parse that post as well.

Frozen218
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:17 am 

demonomania wrote:
Hey hey, let's go easy on the shit-talking about "Caesar's Palace" (those wooshing noises, mysterious keyboarding, that dumb lyrical content - what more could you ask for?).

How exactly is a song referencing European history and culture, the rise of neo-paganism, eternalism etc. dumber than a song lifting it's title from a Hollywood movie about a war so dumb, only the USA could have started it?

I mean, by what standards we are measuring "dumb"?

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:17 am 

Sunioj_Paul wrote:
Can someone put a link up for this track, can't find it anywhere, even YouTube. Cheers.

Yeah, it even shows up on Spotify, but isn't playable.

Be good if for threads like this (bands with new/upcoming albums, etc) the promo tracks were edited into the first post. Just a suggestion.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:25 am 

Frozen218 wrote:
song lifting it's title from a Hollywood movie about a war so dumb, only the USA could have started it?

Did you see Apocalypse Now? because you sound like you didn't. Apocalypse Now is not about the vietnam war, it's set in it but the plot revolves around a completely different topic not directly related to that particular war at all, so I'm not really seing your point there.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:33 am 

demonomania wrote:

I don't know why people hate MA's dungeon synth interludes so much, I think they are, for the most part, failry good.

schizoid wrote:
Sunioj_Paul wrote:

Yeah, it even shows up on Spotify, but isn't playable.

Be good if for threads like this (bands with new/upcoming albums, etc) the promo tracks were edited into the first post. Just a suggestion.

It's blocked in some countries, you'll have to use a vpn to listen to it, I used tunnelbear.

EDIT: I Thought he was talking about another song.

Frozen218
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:50 am 

blackmantram wrote:
Frozen218 wrote:
song lifting it's title from a Hollywood movie about a war so dumb, only the USA could have started it?

Did you see Apocalypse Now? because you sound like you didn't. Apocalypse Now is not about the vietnam war, it's set in it but the plot revolves around a completely different topic not directly related to that particular war at all, so I'm not really seing your point there.

I have seen it many times, and I do realise that it is based on Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness, only placed in Vietnam. However, the criticism of David's lyrics on Domination was always, that they were too mundane, which is, of course, a totally ignorant sentiment, but Coppola's film is hardly Kabbalistic gematria either, you know?

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:36 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Listening to Formulas today and am again floored by this release after so many years ....
... does anyone really think their new album can match this? And it's not even considered one of their best release by most fans.

+1.

pressingtoplead13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:46 pm 

Very little discussion was ever brought up about how good the last Warfather album was, it slayed and after hearing it I was very confident that Tucker would bring Morbid Angel back from the dead. I love the new song, feel like the solo should have gone on longer. That said I find Formulas to be one of my favorite albums of all time. Morbid Angel are great, have been great for years and release one shitty album that still had atleast a decent song or two. This new album sounds promising and should be quality, but topping Formulas? Doubt it.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:08 pm 

I can easily see this being at least just as good as Formulas, which I also find to be one of their best albums.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:10 pm 

Has anyone checked this out?

http://www.nuclearblast.de/en/products/ ... x-set.html
https://shop.napalmrecords.com/morbid-a ... e-box.html

Does anyone know why is it so expensive? I'd pay that sort of prices for a boxset of all of their discography or something like that, but for a single album split in 6 7'' eps plus the cd, plus some other stuff? What's the point of that? I'm probably missing something here, maybe the extra stuff's really worth it, but so far I don't think it adds lots of value for the price. Just take a look at that insane emperor boxset for a quick comparison, of course it's price is like 5 times higher but the cost-benefit ratio is even higher.

AcidMind
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:39 am 

blackmantram wrote:
Does anyone know why is it so expensive?

Answer is kinda simply: this is Buyer who defines the price, not Seller :-) People gonna buy it no matter what.
For me such kind of releases are lame, but this is development of all multi-colors LP business, etc.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:51 am 

I'm excited about this album as I can possibly be, but shedding such an ungoldy amount of cash to subject myself to the tediousness of flipping sides/changing records after every song? Thanks, but no thanks.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:27 am 

blackmantram wrote:

I certainly can't be misreading this? Changing CD's after 2 tracks? Surely that's the most insane, dumbest thing I've ever seen. I wouldn't spend one-tenth of that price on such inconvenience.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

HideYourHole
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:17 am 

6 7 inch vinyls, what the fuck! That's absurd and pretty hilarious to me.

EpicSceptic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:19 am 

Frozen218 wrote:

:wanker:

It's better than a lot of stand-alone tracks, including but not limited to "Where the Slime Lives".

If the entire album is of this quality will it be their best album ever? Most probably not, but it will be more consistent than most of their output in addition to being the best thing they've done in 20 years. Still way too early to speculate about anything like that with certainty though.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:01 pm 

"Name one A-F song this is better than, but don't bother, because if you do I'll just call you crazy for having that opinion". :lol:

~Guest 417309
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:24 pm 

I like Piles more than anything on A-C and I. :eek:

I was never beholden to the old MA stuff, I didn't hear Altars until way late in the game, and Gateways was my first MA album and one of my favorite death metal albums. Come at me bruh.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:58 pm 

nekrosonic wrote:
I like Piles more than anything on A-C and I. :eek:

I was never beholden to the old MA stuff, I didn't hear Altars until way late in the game, and Gateways was my first MA album and one of my favorite death metal albums. Come at me bruh.

I love Piles but I wouldn’t ever go that far. There’s no way it’s better than everything on A-C but to each their own. My favourite albums are still a tie between Altars and Formulas so I don’t have “first three are the best” bias.

~Guest 417309
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:30 pm 

Just never got deep on those records as many times as I've tried. And I'm digging this track more with every listen. I don't know what the fuck is wrong with me ok.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:38 pm 

nekrosonic wrote:
Just never got deep on those records as many times as I've tried. And I'm digging this track more with every listen. I don't know what the fuck is wrong with me ok.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:30 am 

Anyone else heard it yet? I'm just finishing my first listen and I think people will be happy. It's obviously much better than Illud, and definitely Heretic as well. Though not quite as distinctive as any of the band's classic work, the album is definitively Morbid Angel. Production also sounds pretty solid.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:32 pm 

Spiner202 wrote:
Anyone else heard it yet? I'm just finishing my first listen and I think people will be happy. It's obviously much better than Illud, and definitely Heretic as well. Though not quite as distinctive as any of the band's classic work, the album is definitively Morbid Angel. Production also sounds pretty solid.

I haven't heard any of it yet besides Piles of Little Arms, but that's good to hear. I don't think my concern was whether they'd make something more solid than Illud, but whether it would be better than the last classic Morbid Angel album we all heard.

Warty_basaloid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:45 pm 

If we'd rather listen to Piles than to have them, that would already be an improvement over the last album.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:48 pm 

Can we get a bandcheck on who's playing on this album? Is Tim Yeung still drumming for them, and is Pete Sandoval 100% out all the way? Figured Trey Azagthoth would've at least reached out, but I don't recall any stories.

Spiner202 wrote:

I checked out of Morbid Angel at Covenant—not because those albums were bad, but I felt like my brief time with Morbid Angel was capped with the first three. I still would like to get into the rest of them, but I'm not in a rush. I do want to see how this album plays out, and it seems like it's in a pretty good spot, which makes me happy.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:00 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Can we get a bandcheck on who's playing on this album? Is Tim Yeung still drumming for them, and is Pete Sandoval 100% out all the way? Figured Trey Azagthoth would've at least reached out, but I don't recall any stories.

Scott Fuller is the current drummer, Tim Yeung is playing with David Vincent in a new band called I Am Morbid, and Pete has converted to Christianity (and I mean hard - he makes Dave Mustaine look like Glen Benton). I'm pretty sure Pete has claimed he is ashamed of his past in Morbid Angel and doesn't want to reconnect with his former bandmates. And I'm not totally sure but I vividly remember reading an interview where he said he hates all metal and is 100% about Jesus now, but he's still doing Terrorizer so I'm not sure how honest that was (or maybe I'm just remembering wrong).

Warty_basaloid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:20 pm 

^ Well, he sounds happy.

Quote:
"TERRORIZER is always gonna be TERRORIZER: extreme grindcore, political lyrics… My beliefs just bring me a positive outlook on life. That's my belief. It gives me hope. For me, it's a great thing that's happened. I was in the dark, and suddenly I saw the light. [So it's] something wonderful [that happened]… So that's all positive, and positive means life, and life means we wanna continue doing… I wanna continue playing."

"I'm back, and I feel… in fact, I feel a lot better in my performance and, in the way, health-wise, than I felt ten years ago with MORBID ANGEL. I was having more problems back then with my back than now, and I didn't any outlook on life back then; I was just following whatever everybody was saying it is, you know what I mean?! But now I've got this positive belief… and it just makes me alive again. And I [wanna] keep doing what I'm doing, and I wanna, like… wow, I wanna be better, man. I still wanna get better."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former ... ckZtivw.99

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:54 pm 

Warty_basaloid wrote:
^ Well, he sounds happy.

Quote:
"TERRORIZER is always gonna be TERRORIZER: extreme grindcore, political lyrics… My beliefs just bring me a positive outlook on life. That's my belief. It gives me hope. For me, it's a great thing that's happened. I was in the dark, and suddenly I saw the light. [So it's] something wonderful [that happened]… So that's all positive, and positive means life, and life means we wanna continue doing… I wanna continue playing."

"I'm back, and I feel… in fact, I feel a lot better in my performance and, in the way, health-wise, than I felt ten years ago with MORBID ANGEL. I was having more problems back then with my back than now, and I didn't any outlook on life back then; I was just following whatever everybody was saying it is, you know what I mean?! But now I've got this positive belief… and it just makes me alive again. And I [wanna] keep doing what I'm doing, and I wanna, like… wow, I wanna be better, man. I still wanna get better."

He does there, sure, but I've followed him on social media and he seems to be kind of creepy and cult-like with his beliefs (he mostly posts obviously photoshopped "nature" photos & bible quotes, but also a lot of doomsday shit and accusing people of being "possessed").

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:02 pm 

That almost makes me wish he would be unhealthy again and play good music again.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:33 am 

Warty_basaloid wrote:
^ Well, he sounds happy.

Quote:

And stupid. I guess he thinks Jesus solved his problems with the back. Holy sh*t, we have another Mustaine on the way! :O

Last edited by Paganbasque on Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next