* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:19 pm 

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/cannib ... -unveiled/

Quote:
According to the web site of RED Distribution, which distributes Metal Blade Records' releases in the U.S., Florida-based death metal veterans CANNIBAL CORPSE will issue their fourteenth studio album, "Red Before Black", on November 3. The follow-up to 2014's "A Skeletal Domain" was recorded at Mana Recording Studios in Saint Petersburg, Florida with producer/engineer Erik Rutan (SOILENT GREEN, BELPHEGOR, HATE ETERNAL), who previously worked with CANNIBAL CORPSE on 2006's "Kill", 2009's "Evisceration Plague" and 2012's "Torture".

"Red Before Black" track listing:

01. Only One Will Die
02. Red Before Black
03. Code Of The Slashers
04. Shedding My Human Skin
05. Remaimed
06. Firestorm Vengeance
07. Heads Shoveled Off
08. Corpus Delicti
09. Scavenger Consuming Death
10. In The Midst Of Ruin
11. Destroyed Without A Trace
12. Hideous Ichor

The cover artwork for the album can be found below.
This November, CANNIBAL CORPSE will kick off a USA tour in support of the upcoming disc. Support on the trek will come from POWER TRIP and GATECREEPER.

"A Skeletal Domain" sold 8,800 copies in the United States in its first week of release to debut at position No. 32 on The Billboard 200 chart. The band's previous CD, "Torture", opened with 9,600 units to land at No. 38. This figure was in line with the first-week performance of 2009's "Evisceration Plague", which entered the chart at No. 66. CANNIBAL CORPSE's 2006 CD, "Kill", debuted at No. 170 after shifting more than 6,000 copies.

"A Skeletal Domain" was produced by Mark Lewis (THE BLACK DAHLIA MURDER, DEVILDRIVER) at Audiohammer Studios in Sanford, Florida.

Spoiler: show

It's new Cannibal Corpse. What more can you say? It's gonna be great, just because it's Cannibal Corpse and they're incapable at this point of making anything that isn't good.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:54 pm 

You know where I stand: I'm all in. Either you dig who they are and what they've done by now or you don't and never will.

There was an interview with Brian Slagel about a week or so ago where he said this album is more focused on the guitars this time (paraphrasing, of course.) I'm curious and intrigued what that means considering they've always emphasized their riffs.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:08 pm 

Worst album and song titles yet.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:30 pm 

I love "implied gore" covers (the alternate "Severed Survival" artwork and censored "Gore Obsessed" artwork) but this one looks kind of silly to me, I guess because of the dude's face.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:35 pm 

>firestorm vengeance
We Iron Savior now.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:57 pm 

Cover looks like a hastily made censored cover, cmon wheres the real one?

CC just seem really PC nowadays, too scared to do gory covers and i guess we'll never see album titles like Entrails Ripped from a Virgins Cunt and Addicted to Vaginal Skin anymore

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:26 pm 

I like Cannibal. I will probably like this album. "Heads Shoveled Off" is an amazing song title.

But man I really think it's about time to break the brand loyalty of having Vincent Locke do every album cover. They've gotten shittier and shittier for a decade now and the last good one was from fuckin 2004, and even then that's still the weakest of their good covers. I get he's a comic book guy but the last handful of just looked like random frames pulled from a bad pulp horror comic with none of the charm. Compare the sheer level of effort he put into things like Eaten Back to Life and Tomb of the Mutilated with stuff like this and Kill (and I'm not talking about just the word KILL, I mean the Glasgow smiled guy on the insert that was originally supposed to be the cover before somebody had a better idea). I get that the cartoony style that started on Gallery of Suicide is just a trademark at this point but man has he lost his mojo.

EDIT: I just noticed they've shacked up with Rutan again. I mean, it's been producing good results since this is by far the longest they've gone without a lineup change and they've worked with him a bunch recently, but I feel like something small like that just signifies that they'd rather stick with their comfort foods instead of challenge themselves in any way. I mean, at this point they've earned their legacy, but I just really have a bad feeling about this one. Hopefully I'm proven wrong but man my gut is telling me this is gonna be a flop.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:42 pm 

This album will be amazing because Cannibal Corpse never disappoints, but I'm not a big fan of the song titles or artwork (other than the brilliant "Heads Shoveled Off").

BastardHead wrote:
EDIT: I just noticed they've shacked up with Rutan again. I mean, it's been producing good results since this is by far the longest they've gone without a lineup change and they've worked with him a bunch recently, but I feel like something small like that just signifies that they'd rather stick with their comfort foods instead of challenge themselves in any way. I mean, at this point they've earned their legacy, but I just really have a bad feeling about this one. Hopefully I'm proven wrong but man my gut is telling me this is gonna be a flop.

It's a good choice to go with Rutan. A Skeletal Domain was a step down both musically and production-wise, and they went with a new producer after 3 Rutan albums in a row. Torture is by far their best album since the 90s, so I'm glad they're going back to Rutan since I think he makes them a lot better.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:51 pm 

Pretty much what I expected, but the album title is horrible. More interested in the music, as Ive loved the last few albums. Really wish they'd get a new artist though, *cough* wes benscoter/jon zig *cough*, as I think it's way overdue. Can't help think of this:

hellofallhells
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:05 pm 

I look forward to every CC album. I kind of like the cover though I agree the title is a bit weak. I very much enjoy the last three albums they put out so I doubt this one will disappoint. And I absolutely want to see them live this time. It's been way too long for me.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:31 pm 

Well if it's one thing I have learned from post 2000 CC its that the music is leagues beyond the artwork in every way. Wish they had switched artists after Gore Obsessed, but they do have their brand and style pretty set at this point.

Expect a solid album at the very least. My favorite albums are far awhile back or this band, but always get some decent spins out of each album and a few standout tracks that absolutely rip.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:35 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I just really have a bad feeling about this one. Hopefully I'm proven wrong but man my gut is telling me this is gonna be a flop.

For some strange reason, I have the same thought. :scratch:

Having said that, I'm optimistic and if there's another "High Velocity Impact Spatter" in there, I'm satisfied. Bring it on.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:09 pm 

Quote:
CC just seem really PC nowadays, too scared to do gory covers and i guess we'll never see album titles like Entrails Ripped from a Virgins Cunt and Addicted to Vaginal Skin anymore

Their rise to chart success occurred after they stopped putting gore on their covers.

I agree with you and preferred the old covers. But the record industry is declining and I think they've taken the hint.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:39 pm 

I'm excited for the new album because both A Skeletal Domain and Torture were top tier CC to me. There's been a marked improvement in the lead guitar department lately and occasionally there's a slightly black metally riff like in Funeral Cremation but for the most part they're still banging out the reliably fun and intense death metal we all know them for.

I must say I find it odd when people criticize them for "going soft" nowadays though. The music itself hasn't softened at all and you can't really blame them for cutting down a bit on the shock factor. They're all pushing 50 now and I imagine after all this time it's a bit harder to be as lyrically and visually depraved as they once were, but those are surface factors anyways. I admit this cover is a lot weaker than the last one for instance which I thought was terrific but that's no dealbreaker for me. New CC is always good to hear.

Smalley
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:15 am 

Anyone else thinking from that "shoveled" song that someone in the band was a fan of Resident Evil VII...?

:wink:

ThStealthK wrote:
Thank god you're not a music teacher, the wisest decision you've ever made in your life.

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:50 am 

Usually when the cover is shit the songs are better (Kill, Bloodthirst, etc). Probably will be the same with this. Really corny album title.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:51 am 

ModusOperandi wrote:
You know where I stand: I'm all in. Either you dig who they are and what they've done by now or you don't and never will.

There was an interview with Brian Slagel about a week or so ago where he said this album is more focused on the guitars this time (paraphrasing, of course.) I'm curious and intrigued what that means considering they've always emphasized their riffs.

Sounds to me like the songs will be even more complex with big solos.

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:41 am 

Popping in to say that I'm just in love with that song title. You know the one.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:50 am 

true_death wrote:
This one looks kind of silly to me.

+1.

Tanuki
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:22 am 

Smalley wrote:
Anyone else thinking from that "shoveled" song that someone in the band was a fan of Resident Evil VII...?

I was thinking the exact same thing :lol:

The guy on the cover looks kinda like Gary Busey.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:24 am 

I'm sure it'll be a quality album. It's Cannibal Corpse. Sure, the song titles are kinda trash. The art is a bit goofy. The band's been going a while now, I'm sure they're tapped out as far as lyrics go. The past couple albums have also had dumb ass titles/lyrics ("Followed Home then Killed," anyone?) and I thoroughly enjoyed those. I'm not expecting anything mindblowing, but I'm sure it'll be a worthy addition to their discography.

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:42 am 

Red Before Black is clearly an economics joke

But really, Cannibal Corpse releasing a new album is always an event and I know it will deliver. My only gripe is that bands announce albums piece by piece now instead of giving us the album cover with a new song

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:12 pm 

Can't really get into this band for some reason apart from a few bangers here & there. I'll still give this a shot though.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:03 pm 

MawBTS wrote:
Quote:

Their rise to chart success occurred after they stopped putting gore on their covers.

I agree with you and preferred the old covers. But the record industry is declining and I think they've taken the hint.

Eh, stores like Best Buy have barely had metal albums for years. The last CC album I saw there was The Bleeding reissue. Always thought it would make more sense to give the albums a slipcover or insert, as the censored versions didn't sell.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:52 pm 

Folkemon_ wrote:
and i guess we'll never see album titles like Entrails Ripped from a Virgins Cunt and Addicted to Vaginal Skin anymore

As long as the music is good, who gives a fuck? Being "un-PC" isn't a virtue.

CircleovZaphyan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:34 am 

That cover is probably the slipcase covering the real cover, ala Gore Obsessed. Probably a bunch of dead pregnant women being hacked away via opposite angle.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:01 pm 

"Only one will die"? The old CC wouldn't have stopped at anything less than a massacre. Getting old much?

Anyway, not great song titles or cover art, but at least they got the style right. Ever since "The Wretched Spawn" they seem to think that subtlety is the way to go with their artwork but that is absolutely not the case! They really need to spend a day in a room with the covers of "Tomb of the mutilated" "Gore obsessed" and "Butchered at birth" plastered all over the walls to get their heads back on straight. CC are the z-camp horror of metal and they need to realize that what makes them good is giving up the goods, not playing coy!

CircleovZaphyan wrote:
That cover is probably the slipcase covering the real cover, ala Gore Obsessed. Probably a bunch of dead pregnant women being hacked away via opposite angle.

I hope you are right.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:34 pm 

New Cannibal Corpse is always something to get excited about but hooooooly how on earth did they settle for such a shitty looking album cover. Easily their worst ever, which unfortunately at this point is saying a lot. I know we'll never see stuff like Tomb of the Mutilated from them again, but I'd way rather have something totally basic like Kill than this crap. I'm sure the music will be dependable but Corpse albums used to feel like such a package - awesome artwork, hilariously gruesome song titles, backed up by great death metal. Even the album title's shit.

Conan Troutman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:05 pm 

I'm in a very small minority of people who don't mind the artwork or song titles.

Looking forward to this.

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:32 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
"Only one will die"? The old CC wouldn't have stopped at anything less than a massacre. Getting old much?

Maybe everyone else will be badly injured and be left alive to suffer. The guy dying might be the lucky one :P

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:57 pm 

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I realize you can trace the evolution of their album covers down to two specific events that caused drastic and obvious changes, both of which being Vincent Locke having his original covers rejected and him being a fucking baby about it.

Think about it, it's obvious that he put loads more effort into the early ones. Eaten Back to Life is striking and visceral, there was nothing else like it at the time, and he even put little nods to song titles in there (there's a "skull full of maggots" against a tombstone on the back cover). In Centuries of Torment, the band members all gush about how blown away they were the first time they saw all of the first three album covers for the first time, and it's obvious that Locke was really giving it his all and pushing every boundary he could. Then, with The Bleeding, everything changed. I actually like the original cover with the massive pile of corpses, but the band mentioned that they really felt it was a huge step down from the previous three, lacking a lot of the shock value that had helped catapult them to infamy. Chris Barnes was so nervous about telling Locke that he didn't like it that he wound up pussing out and decided to just zoom up on some random part of a corpse's torso, which Locke hasn't exactly been shy about saying he was pissed about. And so, I don't think it's exactly coincidence that after then, he started shifting to his more cartoony comic book style, almost as though it was a protest saying "Well fuck you guys, I worked really hard on The Bleeding and was very proud of it. If you don't want me to try so hard then fuck you I won't." Years go by of the cartoony style, but it still worked really well for the band with his more nightmarish and surreal gore (Vile and Gallery of Suicide aside, there's no denying that something like Bloodthirst or The Wretched Spawn were off the charts in their level of gross out what-the-fuckery). But then Kill comes along. This one is a little less infamous than the fiasco over The Bleeding, but everybody knows the cover that just says KILL and nothing else, with Metal Blade stating that they simply wanted to try something different. Thing is, Locke did create original art for it, it's the pimply decaying guy with a Glasgow smile and bone knife that was used for the inlay and on some merch that was originally intended to be the cover. I think this was a dumb cover in its original incarnation, personally (I have a side-theory that even though Brian Slagel made a big deal about not wanting to do alternate art for censored versions anymore and "If you don't want to stock it, then fuck you just don't stock it, it'll sell anyway", I feel like it's very likely that he told Locke off to the side to tone it down so there wouldn't be so much backlash with each album), and so the plain one they ultimately went with was an improvement, but again, Locke was notably upset that they went in a different direction than what he originally envisioned. And so, with the exception of A Skeletal Domain, it really feels to me like he said "Well fuck you guys, I gave you fucking gold and you just tossed it aside. Screw you then, from now all all you're getting are scary dudes with knives." I mean, look at the pattern: Kill, Evisceration Plague, Torture, and now Red Before Black. 4/5 albums in a ten year span have just been scary dudes with knives, no more of the nightmare abominations of The Wretched Spawn.

Basically my theory is that Locke is a huge baby and the art has gotten progressively lazier because he handles rejection incredibly poorly. Granted it sounds like the band/label in both instances weren't exactly upfront with him so I can understand his frustration, but it really makes a lot of sense, and at the very least is a more interesting way of looking at it than "he just got lazy over time".
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:09 pm 

So you think he is trying to prove a point after over 20 years and the band just takes it with a smile?

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:10 am 

That is a fascinating theory, BastardHead, and there's just possibly some truth to it. It's kind of hard to really believe that mere pettiness could be at the root, but there's no denying that artwork like this is just leagues and leagues below what he used to do for the band. Can the members of CC honestly even pretend to be satisfied with this? That album cover would stand out to me as unusually bad even if it was for an unheard of death metal band.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:23 am 

I don´t like the artwork, as it has been mentioned the early covers were better. I don´t like those short of album covers but I think they fit CC´s music perfectly well.

But Kills artwork was poor too and I love this cd so I hope the new one is as good as that album.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:49 am 

Interesting theory.

So Eaten Back to Life was Locke too? I wouldn't have guessed it, it has a different style to the rest.

I actually like Gallery of Suicide's cover, except how the title is in a stupid comic-book looking font. Kind of ruins it.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:21 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:

This song will actually be a love ballad about a tragic organ donation. Calling it now.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:08 pm 

Church13 wrote:
So you think he is trying to prove a point after over 20 years and the band just takes it with a smile?

Yeah, my issue with that is Slagel and the band almost definitely have input on what the cover is, and if they really found it unsatisfactory, they'd say so. So even if that's true, CC and the label don't seem to have an issue with it.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:16 pm 

Again, this is according to Centuries of Torment so it's like 12 years old at this point, but in that documentary Locke mentioned that they just give him all the song/album titles and info and just kinda give him free reign with it. The only time the actual lyrics ever inspired him was when he did a short comic based on Unleashing the Bloodthirsty. So from the sounds of it, their input on what he does is pretty minimal, they just give him all the info and let him do what he does. However, they (and Metal Blade) obviously have veto power and have exercised it at least twice, but just because fans aren't happy with this cover doesn't mean they aren't. They would have not accepted it if they weren't.

I think my actual belief is that after Slagel decided not to have Locke make separate art for censored releases anymore, he probably just told him/the band/whoever to cool it with the really objectionable stuff (whole lot less vaginas and explicit graphic murder on the covers nowadays) so they wouldn't have to actually bother with retailers refusing to stock new albums. As for why they stopped being so intricate and just simplified the style used on Buthered at Birth since 1995, it could be any number of reasons. Maybe he really was upset that they didn't like The Bleeding, maybe he just had less time to spend on his album cover side job and focused more and more on his main passion of comic books, maybe just his natural evolution as an artist took him away from the style he utilized on Eaten Back to Life and Tomb of the Mutilated (though he did still seem to utilize it on some of the censored versions like Gallery of Suicide, Bloodthirst, and most notably Gore Obsessed), I don't know, but the fact is that there were two notable changes in style and they did both immediately follow the only two publicly known times his original art was rejected.

Either way I agree with Raz, this would stand out as notably bad no matter who was releasing it. Look at the killer's face, it looks like fucking Rick and Morty.

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:31 pm 

My theory is more along the lines of them being older and liking subtlety more, as well as a bit of complacency. They don't need to be shocking anymore to sell records so they just go with what's offered as you said. One thing I'm sure of is the music is always badass

SpiritOfTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:32 pm 

The chap on the cover is a dead ringer of Super Hans from Peep Show and this amuses me greatly.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next