Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:28 pm 

Dooders wrote:
Well if it's one thing I have learned from post 2000 CC its that the music is leagues beyond the artwork in every way. Wish they had switched artists after Gore Obsessed, but they do have their brand and style pretty set at this point.

Expect a solid album at the very least. My favorite albums are far awhile back or this band, but always get some decent spins out of each album and a few standout tracks that absolutely rip.

^Pretty much what I came here to say! I don't necessarily wish they switched from Vince Locke but can they not afford bring back the R rating for the artwork and lyrics? It would seem not, though they probably have no real desire to either. Ah well, good music to come!

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:27 am 

Judging from the documentary and sort of when they've been asked about it, they seem relatively disinterested in the heavy gore artworks these days. IIRC, the cover of Kill was a deliberate decision on the band's part, and that was basically the end of the super-gory covers. Of course, like most people here I don't really care, because they make up for it with killer music. If there's anything on the level of "Make Them Suffer", "Scourge of Iron", or "Kill or Become", I'm happy.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:44 pm 

Im thinking they shouldve switched album titles with Annihilator.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:03 pm 

It's one thing for the band to lose interest in gory covers, but did they lose interest in *good* covers? They were genuinely OK with the "Kill" cover? :nono:

KrigareTjovane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:07 pm 

I quite like the album title itself. If you're being disemboweled hip to hip, goodness knows you're gonna see a fair share of blood before you lose consciousness. I applaud Cannibal Corpse's attempt to see things from the POV of the victim for a change. That's social progress.

idunnosomename
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:40 am 

I just don't think Cannibal Corpse care that much about causing controversy anymore. Once they were launched into super-notoriety by Bob Dole, really explicit covers would only hinder them, so The Wretched Spawn aside, they kinda stopped with sexual violence completely after Vile.

Every interview I've seen is that they really care about the music, and that lyrics are nearly always written last. I think things like KILL are about that, that they don't want to just be empty controversy and actually have a reputation built on their recordings.

Can't deny though that some of their later covers are disappointing. Gore Obsessed in particular looks like something drawn on the back of a school book. My favourite is the original The Bleeding. Goodness knows why they censored it, it's not particularly gory but truly disturbing but also kind of beautiful at the same time.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:37 am 

Quote:
I just don't think Cannibal Corpse care that much about causing controversy anymore. Once they were launched into super-notoriety by Bob Dole

Hadn't they also appeared in Ace Ventura and Beavis and Butthead by then?

Quote:
My favourite is the original The Bleeding. Goodness knows why they censored it, it's not particularly gory but truly disturbing but also kind of beautiful at the same time.

I don't get it either. The Bleeding was literally their least gory cover prior to Kill. There's not even any genitals or female nipples in evidence.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:29 am 

As far as The Bleeding, they did the cover that way cause the band(at least Chris) didnt really like the cover and didn't want Vince to redo it. I dont like Kill's original art, though it wouldve been cool to make the cover a blood pack, like this:
https://youtu.be/932EJn2Ih8o

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:53 pm 

Don't care about covers or song titles. Looking forward to more good CC music. Hoping it's back to a thicker guitar sound than Skeletal Domain... more like Evisceration Plague and Torture.

demelichmyballs
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:13 pm 

SpiritOfTheForest wrote:
The chap on the cover is a dead ringer of Super Hans from Peep Show and this amuses me greatly.

That's what Jez gets for not letting Hans skin up with his feet again.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:49 pm 

Smitty wrote:
Don't care about covers or song titles. Looking forward to more good CC music. Hoping it's back to a thicker guitar sound than Skeletal Domain... more like Evisceration Plague and Torture.

I feel the opposite way. Don't care about the music, but interested in the cover art and song titles. Those have long been the best aspects of the band and make them great for weirding out "normies".

"Yo, check this shit out!" "Ew! Is that zombie eating out that other zombie! You're sick, dayv."

or

"Yo, check this shit out!" "A guy with a knife? I'm gonna go watch The Walking Dead now."

*sigh*

Warty_basaloid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:03 am 

Will give it a listen but not expecting much. Probably just going to be more of the same.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:19 pm 

I just can't really get excited about them anymore. They were obviously one of my gateway bands when I was younger and were one of my favorites for awhile, but all I think about now is how much better they could be if they had a better drummer. I'll probably listen to a few songs, but Paul has been holding them back for so long.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:13 am 

SweetSilence wrote:
I just can't really get excited about them anymore. They were obviously one of my gateway bands when I was younger and were one of my favorites for awhile, but all I think about now is how much better they could be if they had a better drummer. I'll probably listen to a few songs, but Paul has been holding them back for so long.

THIS. I like CC but its time to have a better drummer. It would be a boost for the band.

Riggs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:19 am 

idunnosomename wrote:
I just don't think Cannibal Corpse care that much about causing controversy anymore. Once they were launched into super-notoriety by Bob Dole, really explicit covers would only hinder them, so The Wretched Spawn aside, they kinda stopped with sexual violence completely after Vile.

Every interview I've seen is that they really care about the music, and that lyrics are nearly always written last. I think things like KILL are about that, that they don't want to just be empty controversy and actually have a reputation built on their recordings.

Can't deny though that some of their later covers are disappointing. Gore Obsessed in particular looks like something drawn on the back of a school book. My favourite is the original The Bleeding. Goodness knows why they censored it, it's not particularly gory but truly disturbing but also kind of beautiful at the same time.

I prefer the censored cover of The Bleeding oddly enough. It's just a glimpse of veins and meat and leaves more to the imagination. Not that I don't like the original.

Riggs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:32 am 

And Code of the Slashers sounds raw as fuck

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:24 am 

If Cannibal Corpse replaced Paul some some Rando McBlastypants then they'd immediately lose like 50% of their signature sound. That heavy groove they carve out all the time is hugely distinctive (Cannibal is constantly slammed for being "generic" but they still really don't have many ripoffs floating around for a reason), and when he does blast, which isn't exactly rare mind you, it sounds powerful as fuck. He's very diverse, which I'd say makes him more valuable than 95% of all tech death drummers despite every last one of them utilizing far more technical skill than he does. Man I just don't get it, wanting Cannibal to replace Paul despite him being more or less one of a kind in terms of modern death metal (admittedly thanks in part to being something of a relic), more than competent enough to perform everything the band would ever feasibly release, and being one of the chief lyricists since Barnes left just because dudes generally play faster now is like saying Iron Maiden should replace Steve Harris because god damn have you heard Beyond Creation? The dude is pushing 50 and still tearing his kit apart every night, he's perfect for the band and anybody else behind the kit would just simply make it un-Cannibal Corpse.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:33 am 

Truth has been spoken. Who doesn't agree probably has 12 different guitar tones and saxophone solos!

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:46 am 

Mazurkiewicz is a timekeeper and he has literally never pretended to be anything else. He's a thrash drummer at heart and he's also been working with Webster for basically his entire adult life, and the two clearly have the near-clairvoyant chemistry that you see with rhythm sections that get each other. As someone else said, Cannibal with a flashy drummer would not be Cannibal. The whole point is that O'Brien, Barrett, and Webster are the ones playing the technical material while Mazurkiewicz provides a simple but ultra-solid foundation for them to do their thing with. A friend of mine once drunkenly referred to him as the "Max Weinberg of death metal" and I honestly don't think that that's the worst comparison.

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:17 am 

https://cannibalcorpse.bandcamp.com/alb ... fore-black

Really digging that new song, it sounds a little bit different for them

overkill81
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:21 am 

PRE-ORDER (EMP GERMANY)
http://www.emp.de/band-merch/cannibal-corpse/
Indiemerch (US)
https://www.indiemerch.com/metalbladerecords/search/?q=Red-Before-Black-2017

Blood-Red / White Splatter (lim.200) EMP Exclusive

White / Red Splatter (lim. 200) Ebay Exclusive

Red / Black Marbled (lim.300)

Olive Green Marbled (lim. 500)

Boxset (Lim.1000)

Last edited by overkill81 on Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:39 am 

BastardHead wrote:
He's very diverse

Come on, you know that aint true. Most of whatever else you said is correct though. The biggest problem with if Paul were to leave/get replaced would be it would fuck the chemistry of the band. For better or worse, he's part of the CC sound, and will be until the day they call it quits.

Frank Booth
Can Bench 450

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:11 pm 

Yeah, Paul is most certainly not a diverse drummer. He has polka beats, blasts, and what the aforementioned friend refers to as the "Zurk beat", or that famous driving mid-paced groove that usually accompanies what I like to call "Cannibal crawl" riffs. He's been playing the same few beats since he was a teenager and he has honestly never needed anything else.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:20 pm 

Not too bad of a song, but I'm only guessing so. I can't accurately gauge it because of the atrocious audio quality.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:51 pm 

Not every drummer has to be Alex Hernandez, but dude could you imagine that?

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:10 pm 

Here's the video for the new song:

I was expecting the first preview to be another lightning fast thrasher and am glad they decided to change it up with something a little different. A very good song all around, I also am surprised at how cool the clip is, it's easily the coolest music video in the history of Cannibal Corpse, though granted that isn't saying a whole lot as their videos have pretty much always been stupid and often disappointingly tame...not this one though!

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:13 pm 

It sounds so fucking muffled. Like they recorded the guitars with a thick blanket thrown over the amps.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:47 pm 

Frank Booth wrote:
Mazurkiewicz is a timekeeper and he has literally never pretended to be anything else. He's a thrash drummer at heart and he's also been working with Webster for basically his entire adult life, and the two clearly have the near-clairvoyant chemistry that you see with rhythm sections that get each other. As someone else said, Cannibal with a flashy drummer would not be Cannibal. The whole point is that O'Brien, Barrett, and Webster are the ones playing the technical material while Mazurkiewicz provides a simple but ultra-solid foundation for them to do their thing with. A friend of mine once drunkenly referred to him as the "Max Weinberg of death metal" and I honestly don't think that that's the worst comparison.

Absolutely. Paul isn't flashy, but it's for the benefit of the band. I find the tech death "blast-or-die" drummers to be technically impressive but boring as fuck. Paul's thrash-esque drumming forces CC to be more dynamic in their songwriting, and lets the blasting have a big impact on the songs, compared to most death metal drummers making blasting the norm, thus not allowing much else room for the songs to go. But I also don't like tech-death, so maybe I just don't "get it".

Regardless, the new song is fun. Seems CC hasn't lost it yet. I'll take this moment to say I'm glad they got Rutan to record it again, he seems to get how to make CC sound their best. That guitar tone is massive.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:30 pm 

I'll throw in my support to PM. I don't want hyper blast drumming ala the dude from Nile. Sure there is probably an in-between but Paul does just what I want him to do in CC.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:48 pm 

"Code of the Slashers" sounds good. Had an Incantation sound at the start, which wasn't something I was expecting. Keen to hear more.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:28 pm 

new song is really, really cool. should be a cool album.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:05 pm 

MawBTS wrote:
It sounds so fucking muffled. Like they recorded the guitars with a thick blanket thrown over the amps.

So it's not just me! I really, really hope the final product doesn't sound that awful.

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:42 pm 

I'm looking forward to the new album. CC is very consistent. I'll chime in on Paul too. I wasn't very impressed with him when I first heard CC. I too thought the drumming should have been more intense for death metal. I was wrong. Paul's drumming works very well with the music. His drumming sets the band apart from other death metal bands. It gives them a unique sound. If they had a typical tech-death drummer, the vibe of the music would be much different.

SabFan1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:36 am 

I'm looking forward to this album. I think it was a good decision to go back to Rutan as a producer. That guy gets great results, so I expect the band to sound great. The album cover isn't the best, but it could be worse (ie "KILL"), and the album title isn't exciting either; however, since it's Cannibal Corpse I know the album will deliver. I've yet to be disappointed by one of their albums. Maybe I'm just easy to please.

basisazombie
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:59 am 

I can't wait to get a hold of this album! Hopefully they plan to visit Vegas for their tour.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:07 am 

Code of the Slashers almost sounds like something I would've expected Grand Supreme Blood Court to come up with next. Interesting. The slow, almost doomy bits, combined with the demented technical thrash/death seems to work for them quite well. That said, I really can't muster very much excitement for this style of music any more, so I'll probably give this album a pass.

MrMcThrasher II wrote:
Not every drummer has to be Alex Hernandez, but dude could you imagine that?

:lol:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:54 pm 

"Code of the Slashers" basically sounds like Death Metal 101, and I mean that in a very positive way - it's just a back to basics fun time and what I want from this band. Gut-slashing riffs and beastly vocals. I didn't hear their last few, but I'll definitely check this out. Cool video and tribute to Tobe Hooper, too.

Pelata
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:05 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
If Cannibal Corpse replaced Paul some some Rando McBlastypants then they'd immediately lose like 50% of their signature sound. That heavy groove they carve out all the time is hugely distinctive (Cannibal is constantly slammed for being "generic" but they still really don't have many ripoffs floating around for a reason), and when he does blast, which isn't exactly rare mind you, it sounds powerful as fuck. He's very diverse, which I'd say makes him more valuable than 95% of all tech death drummers despite every last one of them utilizing far more technical skill than he does. Man I just don't get it, wanting Cannibal to replace Paul despite him being more or less one of a kind in terms of modern death metal (admittedly thanks in part to being something of a relic), more than competent enough to perform everything the band would ever feasibly release, and being one of the chief lyricists since Barnes left just because dudes generally play faster now is like saying Iron Maiden should replace Steve Harris because god damn have you heard Beyond Creation? The dude is pushing 50 and still tearing his kit apart every night, he's perfect for the band and anybody else behind the kit would just simply make it un-Cannibal Corpse.

100% agreed.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:12 am 

The Code of the Slashers song/video was absolutely great! It made me want to listen to Skeletal Domain last night to get ready for this album and it's crazy how little attention I gave that album when it came out because it's really damn good. Getting excited for this now!

Death is a Gateway
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:11 pm 

schizoid wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
He's very diverse

Come on, you know that aint true. Most of whatever else you said is correct though.

Lol that's pointless dude, when the fuck has BastardHead ever admitted that he was wrong about anything?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next