Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
frostyj66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:04 pm 

^Appreciate the nice write-up - you've definitely got me interested in listening to OMD again.

I've never had problems separating Protector and Silenius in the vocal department and that's because they've always had two very distinct styles even since the early days.

For whatever reason my favourite Summoning tracks always tend to be the ones with Silenius on vocals. His performance in 'The Rotting Horse on the Deadly Ground' remains one of my favourite extreme vocal performances to this day - his snarls literally sound like they're dripping venom. Protector's dry/hoarse approach is indeed a great contrast.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:21 am 

frostyj66 wrote:
^Appreciate the nice write-up - you've definitely got me interested in listening to OMD again.
I've never had problems separating Protector and Silenius in the vocal department and that's because they've always had two very distinct styles even since the early days.
For whatever reason my favourite Summoning tracks always tend to be the ones with Silenius on vocals. His performance in 'The Rotting Horse on the Deadly Ground' remains one of my favourite extreme vocal performances to this day - his snarls literally sound like they're dripping venom. Protector's dry/hoarse approach is indeed a great contrast.

You should and, yes, they make a great team! :thumbsup:

frostyj66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:00 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
You should and, yes, they make a great team! :thumbsup:

So went back and listened to OMD again after all the praise here and glad I did.... the title track in particular is just glorious. It has all the classic Summoning elements, definitely one of their best all-time IMO. Now I'm even more excited for this new album.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:05 pm 

frostyj66 wrote:
So went back and listened to OMD again after all the praise here and glad I did.... the title track in particular is just glorious. It has all the classic Summoning elements, definitely one of their best all-time IMO. Now I'm even more excited for this new album.

:beer:

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:57 pm 

frostyj66 wrote:
For whatever reason my favourite Summoning tracks always tend to be the ones with Silenius on vocals.

I'm the opposite. I find myself much more deeply entranced by the songs Protector is on vocal duties. There seems to be more baritone singing in the tracks Protector is on, and I'm not sure if that's him singing or not, but if it is, he has a good powerful voice. Someone mentioned that Protector also tends to be the more sorrowful of the duo, and I think that appeals to me more. Not to mention, I think Protector is the superior musician and songwriter. I needn't any more evidence than his solo project, Ice Ages. Perhaps my favorite non-metal project.

I wouldn't disagree with Old Mornings Dawn being their strongest album. It is the most cohesive and majestic in a lot of ways, even though it lacks the raw charm of the earlier works. Old Mornings Dawn, as a previous poster mentioned, is the culmination (so far) of their refinement and maturing as musicians, and it shows in how beautiful, streamlined and mature it sounds.

Even the two 'bonus' songs on the special edition version of the album are superb, "With Fire and Sword" being perhaps my second favorite song on the album. It should have just been included with the regular album release.

CradleOfBurzum
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:19 pm 

DrummingEdge133 wrote:
frostyj66 wrote:
For whatever reason my favourite Summoning tracks always tend to be the ones with Silenius on vocals.

I'm the opposite. I find myself much more deeply entranced by the songs Protector is on vocal duties. There seems to be more baritone singing in the tracks Protector is on, and I'm not sure if that's him singing or not, but if it is, he has a good powerful voice. Someone mentioned that Protector also tends to be the more sorrowful of the duo, and I think that appeals to me more. Not to mention, I think Protector is the superior musician and songwriter. I needn't any more evidence than his solo project, Ice Ages. Perhaps my favorite non-metal project.

I wouldn't disagree with Old Mornings Dawn being their strongest album. It is the most cohesive and majestic in a lot of ways, even though it lacks the raw charm of the earlier works. Old Mornings Dawn, as a previous poster mentioned, is the culmination (so far) of their refinement and maturing as musicians, and it shows in how beautiful, streamlined and mature it sounds.

Even the two 'bonus' songs on the special edition version of the album are superb, "With Fire and Sword" being perhaps my second favorite song on the album. It should have just been included with the regular album release.

DVKE is better than Ice Ages.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:47 pm 

CradleOfBurzum wrote:
DVKE is better than Ice Ages.

No.

frostyj66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:05 pm 

DrummingEdge133 wrote:

Interesting and quite expected that fans will sway more towards one vocalist or the other. I completely agree with your assessment of Protector's style.

To expand on my reasoning, I would say the songs Silenius is on tend to sound more like battle anthems with a triumphant feel to them which appeals more to me. Plus, I'm a bit of an early Abigor fanboy too lol.

They are certainly honing their craft and the quality of writing and composition is obvious. Great band.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:43 am 

I only hope that they won´t ruin great tracks like the last ones of OMD introducing those shitty semi raspy vocals. Man, just sing like always!!

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:39 am 

frostyj66 wrote:
His performance in 'The Rotting Horse on the Deadly Ground' remains one of my favourite extreme vocal performances to this day - his snarls literally sound like they're dripping venom. Protector's dry/hoarse approach is indeed a great contrast.

Agreed, especially the "...devouring fires" line. Gives me chills how putrid he sounds.

Earthshine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:06 am 

I wonder what they meant when they said there were some disputes holding them back. From what I've read in interviews their relationship with Napalm Records seems to be almost ideal. They joined the label when it was first starting out and because they produce all of their own music and have a loyal following they are considered "low risk", or something like that I forget what they actually said.

I hope there were no disputes between Protector and Silenius, I would be truly devastated if it came to a point where they couldn't work together.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:49 am 

I think the divisiveness about which albums are best is just a natural sort of thing. The band has such a unique sound that's clearly appealing to a lot of people, definitely a formula sort of band, so subtleties in the execution can really make or break songs/albums for people.

To be 100% honest I've sort of jumped ship from this band to Caladan Brood. Basically, CB play Summoning-like material in the mode I liked best (i.e. the more guitar-oriented LMHSYF) but with just more going on in a good way. Huge manly choir vocal parts, more involved guitar, long tracks that had more dynamics and evolution...it's not that I dislike Summoning now or anything like that, but when I'm in the mood for this sort of music I'll choose Caladan Brood something like 50% of the time, which is quite high considering they only have the one album and Summoning have a pretty huge discography.

That said, I still have confidence that a new album could be truly fantastic, and even if they totally "shit the bed" I think at worst it will be merely good. Can't wait to check it out.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:54 am 

The day when (if?) Summoning finally releases a shitting the bed album will be very sad indeed.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:05 am 

Not such a fan of the album track but the homonymous song totally slays. One of the 5-6 best Summoning tracks.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:29 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
To be 100% honest I've sort of jumped ship from this band to Caladan Brood. Basically, CB play Summoning-like material in the mode I liked best (i.e. the more guitar-oriented LMHSYF) but with just more going on in a good way. Huge manly choir vocal parts, more involved guitar, long tracks that had more dynamics and evolution...it's not that I dislike Summoning now or anything like that, but when I'm in the mood for this sort of music I'll choose Caladan Brood something like 50% of the time, which is quite high considering they only have the one album and Summoning have a pretty huge discography.

Caladan Brood lacks everything that makes Summoning special for me. The melodies are Caladan Brood's biggest shortcoming - and probably Summoning's greatest strength - but they also lack the songwriting skill (fuckin' Flammifer) and the ability to create that ancient, atavistic atmosphere. Fuck the guitars, fuck the choirs - those are nothing but colours to paint the canvas. Summoning works because their strengths are in a weird synergy that creates a completely one-of-a-kind style. When you hear a new Summoning song for the first time, it already feels nostalgic. It just goes straight into the lizard brain!

It helps that I discovered Summoning at an age when everything is impressive, and everything that impresses you becomes intensely nostalgic. Summoning are masters, and Caladan Brood sound like a cheap knock-off in comparison.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:37 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Caladan Brood lacks everything that makes Summoning special for me. The melodies are Caladan Brood's biggest shortcoming - and probably Summoning's greatest strength - but they also lack the songwriting skill (fuckin' Flammifer) and the ability to create that ancient, atavistic atmosphere. Fuck the guitars, fuck the choirs - those are nothing but colours to paint the canvas. Summoning works because their strengths are in a weird synergy that creates a completely one-of-a-kind style. When you hear a new Summoning song for the first time, it already feels nostalgic. It just goes straight into the lizard brain!
It helps that I discovered Summoning at an age when everything is impressive, and everything that impresses you becomes intensely nostalgic. Summoning are masters, and Caladan Brood sound like a cheap knock-off in comparison.

+1. Same here.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:46 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
and Caladan Brood sound like a cheap knock-off in comparison.

You're fired! Every single other Summoning worship band I've heard definitely sounds like a cheap knock-off. Emyn Muil, Sojourner, Kinstrife & Blood, Mirkwood...all lame! I think Caladan Brood really got it right, though, and Summoning fans who hate them just baffle me.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:56 am 

Quote:

I agree completely. CB is decent but like you said pales in comparison to Summoning simply due to lack luster melodies.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:33 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
and Caladan Brood sound like a cheap knock-off in comparison.

You're fired! Every single other Summoning worship band I've heard definitely sounds like a cheap knock-off. Emyn Muil, Sojourner, Kinstrife & Blood, Mirkwood...all lame! I think Caladan Brood really got it right, though, and Summoning fans who hate them just baffle me.

Ahh those Summoning fanboys... :D

Anyway, I disagree with the fact that Sojourner are lame, I think they are pretty good and at the same time is the band which sounds more different from Summoing, at least between the bands you have mentioned.

About Caladan Brood, its quite tiring the constant comparison but lets say it, even sounding similar Caladan Brood are not trying to sound like a Summoning clone. The songs are more elaborated and the arrangements more pompous. The influence is clear but I dont think that Caladan Brood are tying to sound like Summoning, like Emyn Muil, Knistrife and Mirkwood are doing for example.

And you can kill me but "To Walk the Ashes of Dead Empires" is better than many Summoning songs, and I love Summoning.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:42 am 

I can't get into this band. They seem to have all the elements I like but the delivery seems to be very lacking, being the lack of weight, the lack of riffs, the monotonous drum programming, some cheapness on the keys... I mean, Falkenbach's early keys are kinda cheap too but they fit well within the band's sound.

Which specific album should I listen that might change my mind about them? I heard OMD a couple of days ago and it was a borefest.

I'm listening Caladan Brood right now and it's more of my liking. At least there are riffs and the clean vocals are quite good.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:13 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
Which specific album should I listen that might change my mind about them? I heard OMD a couple of days ago and it was a borefest.

Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame is a riff-fest. The keys are still pretty cheap-sounding but that's Summoning for you.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:25 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
You're fired!

Paganbasque wrote:
Ahh those Summoning fanboys... :D

Earthcubed wrote:
Kveldulfr wrote:

Let Mortal Heroes Sing Your Fame is a riff-fest. The keys are still pretty cheap-sounding but that's Summoning for you.

+1.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:09 pm 

I took some time to warm up to Caladan Brood. They were very underwhelming at first, but they kinda grew on me.

Still can't hold a candle to even Summoning's weakest albums (whichever those might be :lol:), mind... that's just because Summoning are in a class of their own. So yes they pale next to the masters, but they're a solid band on their own.

The other "imitators" though, can all die in a fire. Haven't heard anything of worth from them, utterly drab and uninspired.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:50 pm 

I like the Caladan Brood album but it just doesn't pack those really infectious melodies that give Summoning albums infinite replay value for me. I still think it's a good album, though.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:12 pm 

The lameness of Summoning worshipping bands can be demonstrated. Just check out the Summoning tribute albums out there and observe how little creativity goes into their covers. Compare that to the average Burzum tribute which is bound to have more vastly more variety in the song selection, genre switching, instrumentation, and arrangements.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:13 pm 

From a non Summoning fan, I think CB is better. At least they balance better the metal with the atmosphere, their use of riffs is more in line with black metal and the whole compositional style is very similar. I heard the Summoning album recommended here and, while fine, it was VERY far from the promised riff-fest. Falkenbach seems to do the job FAR better.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:09 pm 

As far as Caladan v Summoning goes, it's hard for me to pick one. But I will say I managed to listen to Summoning for years without ever reading LOTR, whereas I ordered Gardens of the Moon after my second listen of Echoes of Battle

They really don't sound that alike imo. Caladan Brood have a very linear songwriting style, whereas Summoning songs tend to just be a handful of ideas repeated and repeated. Caladan Brood also mix in more viking metal type stuff, have more emphasis on the riffing and use clean vocals way, way more. Caladan Brood are cinematic, whereas Summoning are like the soundtrack to the dankest mid-90s rpg. idk, i feel like most people who say the bands sound the same also probably think any death metal band with slightly reverb-y production sounds just like Incantation, or anything with an hm-2 sounds like Entombed, etc. etc.

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:26 pm 

Kveldulfr wrote:

I'd personally go with Stronghold. A bit more guitar-centric than most of their discography, wonderful songwriting, great production. Can't go wrong.

frostyj66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:26 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
Kveldulfr wrote:

I would've put forward 'Stronghold' as the most guitar driven and riff-centric Summoning album.

Seems from reading these posts everyone is firmly in one of the two camps and can't be swayed otherwise! :-P

Anyway, back on topic, Summoning and specifically their upcoming album, I don't think at this stage it will ever be possible for them to release a bad album. Worst case scenario, it's a rehash of previous albums, and for me Summoning imitating Summoning is much better than a clone band imitating Summoning.

Forgive the crude analogy, but Summoning are like the Cannibal Corpse or Amon Amarth of their genre.... you kind of know what to expect every time, so if you're a fan of the band, you will enjoy it.

frostyj66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:27 pm 

Reid wrote:
Kveldulfr wrote:

I'd personally go with Stronghold. A bit more guitar-centric than most of their discography, wonderful songwriting, great production. Can't go wrong.

We posted the same thing at the same time pretty much :beer: :lol:

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:10 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
The lameness of Summoning worshipping bands can be demonstrated. Just check out the Summoning tribute albums out there and observe how little creativity goes into their covers. Compare that to the average Burzum tribute which is bound to have more vastly more variety in the song selection, genre switching, instrumentation, and arrangements.

Last 3cd tribute contained some great covers but I agree with the fact that many covers are uninspired. But lets be sincere, you can´t expect an original cover if the band plays exactly the same style. Covers are much more interesting when the band involved has a different style.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:13 am 

Kveldulfr wrote:
I can't get into this band. They seem to have all the elements I like but the delivery seems to be very lacking, being the lack of weight, the lack of riffs, the monotonous drum programming, some cheapness on the keys... I mean, Falkenbach's early keys are kinda cheap too but they fit well within the band's sound.

I'm listening Caladan Brood right now and it's more of my liking. At least there are riffs and the clean vocals are quite good.

Minas Morgul and Oath Boand are far better IMO.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:04 am 

Razakel wrote:
I like the Caladan Brood album but it just doesn't pack those really infectious melodies that give Summoning albums infinite replay value for me.

Same here.

theposega wrote:
Caladan Brood are cinematic.

Summoning are too. I always get the feeling of an army marching.

Reid wrote:

Yeah, but I think it's a harder album to swallow.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:40 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Razakel wrote:
I like the Caladan Brood album but it just doesn't pack those really infectious melodies that give Summoning albums infinite replay value for me.

Same here.

theposega wrote:

Reid wrote:

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:41 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Razakel wrote:

Same here.

theposega wrote:

Reid wrote:

I enjoy Stronghold but its a "hit and miss" album for me, awesome tracks are followd by some forgettable tunes.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:00 am 

If had to recommend an album to a "Summoning noob", then I'd pick Minas Morgul or Stronghold. I think those are the best, followed by Oathbreaker. Regarding Caladan Brood, I think they made the best album of 2013. It's not better than Summoning's best, but they are up there with them. And while it is a "worship band" to great extent, they still do their own twist on the formula.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:32 am 

I'll check Stronghold then.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:43 am 

I'd recommend Minas Morgul or Dol Guldur for a first-timer, personally. *shrugs*
John_Sunlight wrote:
The lameness of Summoning worshipping bands can be demonstrated. Just check out the Summoning tribute albums out there

Oh fuck don't remind me of that recent abomination. Forgot what it was called but it was sooooooo bad

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

PutridWind
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:59 am 

For albums to get into Summoning I'd say Minas Morgul / Dol Guldur / Stronghold. Those really capture the essence of the band. Hopefully new album goes back a bit to the older guitar riffing / production style. I really hated the guitar sound on OB and OMD, even though the riffs themselves are quite good at times.

Regarding Caladan Brood, I think they're a good band but they also wouldn't exist if Summoning didn't which says a bit about the comparable quality of the bands. You're fooling yourself if you think they didn't just pick up the Summoning song formula and slightly tweak it. I'd love to hear details of how they are unique if you disagree. Maybe some of the songs on their full length beat out some of the tracks of OMD but it doesn't even come close to anything in the Minas Morgul through LMHSYF era. I think putting them on the same level as Summoning is a bit too much.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:14 am 

Just listen to any Summoning album, basically. They're all great and in different ways.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next