Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:09 pm 

When Caladan Brood was exploding I emailed Protector to ask him what he thought about a band with essentially the exact same sound. His response:

Quote:
i dont have a problem with band who try to sound like us, just as we also tried to sound like some black metal band when we started. i dont think that inspiration comes from "heaven" for from the "cosmos":-) i think inspiration comes by dealing and listening a lot to music, filter what you like and what you dislike and step by step creating your own style. naturally at the beginning of each band their musical identity is not finished and the elements take from other bands are more obvious, but that does not mean that with time they more and more develop their own style. anyway just think about the first album of summoning and the next ones, its quite obvious that the first one was rather a "ripp off" while with the second one we already found our style.

apart from that, i think its not a problem if after 20 years there is finally a band that managed to fully sound like us (without doing cover version, and really understands the essence totally, including the use of keyboard drums etc). i even consider it as an honour if we can inspire bands, i just hope that the band don't become "slaves" to our still for the rest of their live, what would be just unhealthy;-)

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:24 pm 

Good response by Protector, very classy.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

frostyj66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:55 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
When Caladan Brood was exploding I emailed Protector to ask him what he thought about a band with essentially the exact same sound. His response:

Quote:
i dont have a problem with band who try to sound like us, just as we also tried to sound like some black metal band when we started. i dont think that inspiration comes from "heaven" for from the "cosmos":-) i think inspiration comes by dealing and listening a lot to music, filter what you like and what you dislike and step by step creating your own style. naturally at the beginning of each band their musical identity is not finished and the elements take from other bands are more obvious, but that does not mean that with time they more and more develop their own style. anyway just think about the first album of summoning and the next ones, its quite obvious that the first one was rather a "ripp off" while with the second one we already found our style.

apart from that, i think its not a problem if after 20 years there is finally a band that managed to fully sound like us (without doing cover version, and really understands the essence totally, including the use of keyboard drums etc). i even consider it as an honour if we can inspire bands, i just hope that the band don't become "slaves" to our still for the rest of their live, what would be just unhealthy;-)

Nice, thanks for sharing. Very well said by Protector and an especially good point about a new band's identity not being fully formed and how it can evolve over time, case in point his own band.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:01 pm 

It pleases me that a band that makes good music has members who are thoughtful intelligent. If but were that the case for all bands...

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:14 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:

Quote:

Great post, thanks for that.

As a massive fan of this particular little niche genre I will always worship Summoning first and foremost. None of the bands who have come after them can approach their majesty, innovation, and songwriting ability. With that said, I do enjoy the likes of Caladan Brood, Emyn Muil, Elffor, Forgotten Winter, Mischosen, and others who have gone on to release music in this style and incorporate Summoning's sound in large or small part. I think most of these artists readily acknowledge their debt to the masters.

PurpleDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:59 am 

Title, release date, and album cover revealed: https://www.facebook.com/SummoningOffic ... 4190173288

With Doom We Come (January 5, 2018)

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:51 am 

Yeah!!! :hyper:

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:13 pm 

:hyper: :headbang:

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:46 pm 

PurpleDoom wrote:
Title, release date, and album cover revealed: https://www.facebook.com/SummoningOfficial/posts

3 hours ago! :-P
Thanks! :beer:
Crowns and dragons, yeah! :bow:

P.S: https://www.facebook.com/SummoningOfficial/photos/a.115053822459325.1073741828.105239816774059/128958514402189/?type=3&permPage=1

Quote:
And so it is done ...

… as you can see on the photograph, no master files but rather old-fashioned master discs were passed on to Napalm Records. One for the new full-length album, the other comprises of additional material for special editions.
When the year approaches its end, all details will be revealed.

If you wonder why a new Summoning facebook page all of a sudden appeared, the answer is quiet simple. The former site was just semi-official, which means we could post there for some time, but originally, it was a fan page and belonged to someone else.
That cooperation is over now and hereby Summoning and Napalm Records both present this new page as an outlet for all coming news concerning the band and its releases.
Please understand that Protector and Silenius won´t be available to answer each request or communicate frequently with the Summoning army out there, but we will use this medium sparsely to inform you when something worthwhile happens under the fiery eye. In any case, it is here where you will be informed first.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:11 pm 

Sick, 2018 is gonna be huge with Summoning and Sulpher Aeon both releasing new albums. Can't wait. \m/

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:35 pm 

Amaaaaaaaaaaazing. YES! Holy shit, yessssssss. Ugh. NEED.

Great title (a quote from Treebeard in The Two Towers as the Ents march toward Isengard) and great artwork. That's one ugly looking dragon. Does anyone know where that image is from? A screenshot from an old fantasy movie? A photoshop of an old painting?

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:12 am 

New Arkona comes out on the same day.. big day for Napalm that :)

thrashfan07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:36 am 

So pumped for this one. This is the tracklist for those who haven't seen it:

1. Tar-Calion
2. Silvertine
3. Carcharoth
4. Herumor
5. Barror-downs
6. Night Fell Behind
7. Mirklands
8. With Doom I Come

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:41 pm 

That should probably be Barrow-downs, which is a good concept for a song.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:24 pm 

Where was that tracklist posted?

~Guest 417309
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:16 pm 

I still say Old Mourning's Dawn got slept on, that's a good listen. The artwork and titles bode well for this new one.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:49 pm 

FUCK! cover rules. looking forward to the inevitable preview track

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:11 am 

Song titles are fine tough I dont like the album title so much.

About the artwork, its not bad but previous two albums have marvellous artwork so this one is a (small) letdown.

Braltika
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:18 am 

A new sample has been released: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OExKhV_0h8

As with the first sample, it leaves me a bit underwhelmed. I remember the samples released before OMD being much catchier.

~Guest 417309
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:44 am 

They're slowly turning into Enya, but it's okay we need bubble bath black metal.

Tranquillian
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:28 am 

Pre-order has been opened. I got myself a limited edition cd box with two extra tracks. The value of these go through thte roof, but I will of course not sell mine. The last album ltd edition in mint condition is now worth more than 3 times the original sale price.

Horace Bones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:17 pm 

I picked up the CD boxset too...along with the gold vinyl and the two shirts. The vinyl boxset doesn't come with everything included in the CD box...which seems odd. I don't think it warrants the price tag. A slipmat over a poster flag?...no thanks.

I am so glad that Napalm has a US shop. When I preordered all the OMD stuff from the Austria store, shipping was super expensive, it took FOREVER to arrive, and the limited CD boxset came completely smashed. Hopefully the US shop helps things run a little smoother for people on the other side of the pond.

Is it January yet?

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:36 pm 

Braltika wrote:

As with the first sample, it leaves me a bit underwhelmed. I remember the samples released before OMD being much catchier.

I liked it, sounds like this is going to be an old mornings dawn PT 2.

SleepingStar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:39 pm 

Got my pre-order in too as I know how quickly they can sell out (and how expensive they get afterwards). The clip does indeed to seem like it carries on from OMD which is fine for me, they can do little wrong...

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:12 pm 

I'm gonna order the vinyl bundle with the bonus 10" that comes with two bonus tracks. Has no one mentioned these?

Bonus 10":

1. As Echoes from the World of Old
2. And Wonder Walks the Forest Eaves

I really want to know where these songs are from; OMD sessions or unused tracks off this new album. Kind of a bummer that the bundle which includes this 10" costs so damn much more than the vinyl on its own.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:21 pm 

Braltika wrote:

Thanks! :beer:

Edit: I did NOT like this. :aww:

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:49 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Edit: I did NOT like this. :aww:

Why not? I love it! Sounds like a totally classic Protector-fronted sorrowful epic ala Earthshine. It does sound quite a lot like something off Old Mornings Dawn, so I guess that isn't good news for detractors of that album, but for me it's perfect.

Horace Bones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:00 pm 

Its definitely not CLASSIC Protector. I prefer his harsher vocals rather than the cleaner vocals found on OMD...but they did work for that album. Earthshine was definitely one of the weaker songs in my opinion. I think The White Tower is a better example of that cleaner vocal style working in the album's favor. And I looooove OMD btw.

I'm not judging anything by that small snippet of music. Summoning's songs need to be heard in full in order to fully absorb and appreciate everything that goes into the composition.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:27 pm 

The White Tower is indeed amazing. Probably the most 'black metal' Summoning has sounded in a few albums. Really reminds me of Hvis lyset tar oss-era Burzum. Protector has basically always used that sort of distant, harsh/clean howl, hasn't he? It does sound a bit cleaner on songs like Earthshine and Land of the Dead, but I don't really know. I've always loved how Protector and Silenius complement each other, vocally. I hope we get more trade-off vocals on this album like in the chorus of Old Mornings Dawn's title track.

CradleOfBurzum
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:06 pm 

Damn. These two samples haven't done anything for me. I was hoping for some material that resembles closer to "Lugburz", that doesn't seem to be the case though. "Flight Of The Nazgul" still has one of the best black metal riffs ever written. Early Summoning >>> New Summoning.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:45 pm 

I am loving it! It made we want to put on some OMD... I think I will do that.
I think the vocal style is a bit hit-and-miss. Here it works great, and the chorus on Long Lost to where No Pathway Goes is perfect, but I'm not a fan of Earthshine.

Razakel wrote:
Protector has basically always used that sort of distant, harsh/clean howl, hasn't he? It does sound a bit cleaner on songs like Earthshine and Land of the Dead, but I don't really know. I've always loved how Protector and Silenius complement each other, vocally. I hope we get more trade-off vocals on this album like in the chorus of Old Mornings Dawn's title track.

Yes, I like that we can tell them apart, which is still not the case for me on the first 2-3 albums.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:16 pm 

CradleOfBurzum wrote:
I was hoping for some material that resembles closer to "Lugburz"

And I'm still hoping for Katy Perry to do another Christian album.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:27 pm 

I have my pre-orders in for the vinyl box set and the Gatefold Dark Green DLP. Yeah I’m geeking out with multiple versions. It’s how I roll.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:55 pm 

Samples are cool and a half if ya ask me! Not as catchy as the trailer for OMD but that doesn't portend ill as the tittle track had the catchiest hook of the album by a country mile and the album was still good despite not being quite as advertised.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:16 pm 

CradleOfBurzum wrote:
Early Summoning >>> New Summoning.

You're going to be really hard pressed to find someone who agrees with this. And the best part of "Flight of the Nazgul" was the dungeon synth break.

Gunslinger21
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:00 pm 

I haven't listened to Summoning in ages but I remember they were actually very good. What would be the best album to start with if I check them out again?

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:51 pm 

I'd check out 'Minas Morgul' or 'Stronghold'.

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:24 am 

Sounds fucking perfect to me. Preordered the box with a LS

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:38 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
CradleOfBurzum wrote:
I was hoping for some material that resembles closer to "Lugburz"

And I'm still hoping for Katy Perry to do another Christian album.

Man, I still remember how disappointed I was when Pantera broke up without having done another glam album. :(

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:10 am 

My birthday is coming in a couple of days so I had the perfect excuse to preorder the cd box as a self-present, even if I won't have it in my hands for a few more moths :P
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next