Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:43 am 

I had to swipe food directly out of my family's mouths to ensure I'd be able to pay for this. No excuses necesary, Lord_Jotun. :)

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:19 am 

Razakel wrote:
BasqueStorm wrote:
Edit: I did NOT like this. :aww:

Why not? I love it! Sounds like a totally classic Protector-fronted sorrowful epic ala Earthshine. It does sound quite a lot like something off Old Mornings Dawn, so I guess that isn't good news for detractors of that album, but for me it's perfect.

Thats the problem, those vocals suck. I want my classic shriecks back! not those semi-raspy/"dog"-esque vocals, they don´t fit the music.

BUT, the music is awesome, the riffs, the chourus, everything is as good as expected. In fact, Earthshine was great with the exception of the vocals.

The box set is expensive for what they offer.

Sang Dalang Abu
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:47 am 

Its gonna be hugeeeeeeeeeeeee.........

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:22 am 

Razakel wrote:
BasqueStorm wrote:

Why not? I love it! Sounds like a totally classic Protector-fronted sorrowful epic ala Earthshine. It does sound quite a lot like something off Old Mornings Dawn, so I guess that isn't good news for detractors of that album, but for me it's perfect.

Paganbasque wrote:
Thats the problem, those vocals suck. I want my classic shriecks back! not those semi-raspy/"dog"-esque vocals, they don´t fit the music.
BUT, the music is awesome, the riffs, the chourus, everything is as good as expected. In fact, Earthshine was great with the exception of the vocals.

Something about the weird vocals and music sounding like a watered down version of (2013) Summoning - Old Mornings Dawn.

CradleOfBurzum wrote:
Damn. These two samples haven't done anything for me.

Same here.

Earthcubed wrote:
And I'm still hoping for Katy Perry to do another Christian album.

Ilwhyan wrote:
Man, I still remember how disappointed I was when Pantera broke up without having done another glam album. :(

c_
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:25 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
Thats the problem, those vocals suck. I want my classic shriecks back! not those semi-raspy/"dog"-esque vocals, they don´t fit the music..

It's almost as though you don't realize that Protector and Silenius both sing...
Those vocals you claim to suck are how Protector has sounded since Minas Morgul. If you don't like it, then I'd assume you don't like about 50% of Summoning and claiming it doesn't fit the music makes absolutely no sense.
"Your classic shrieks" will be there of course in the songs Silenius sings... like always! And will undoubtedly represent about half the album... like always!

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:45 pm 

I went ahead and pre-ordered the special edition CD boxset as well as ordered a zip up hoodie of the album. I hope it's good. Very excited to give it a spin!

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:56 pm 

Razakel wrote:
BasqueStorm wrote:

if this is true, then I am even more excited for this. I thought "Earthshine" was the masterpiece of Old Mornings Dawn. Above and beyond the other songs with it's devastatingly mournful riffing and the beautiful lyrics with *that* clean baritone climax that seems to be showing up in Protector-fronted songs. SO HYPED! Please get here pre-order.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:25 am 

c_ wrote:
Paganbasque wrote:
Thats the problem, those vocals suck. I want my classic shriecks back! not those semi-raspy/"dog"-esque vocals, they don´t fit the music..

It's almost as though you don't realize that Protector and Silenius both sing...
Those vocals you claim to suck are how Protector has sounded since Minas Morgul. If you don't like it, then I'd assume you don't like about 50% of Summoning and claiming it doesn't fit the music makes absolutely no sense.
"Your classic shrieks" will be there of course in the songs Silenius sings... like always! And will undoubtedly represent about half the album... like always!

You are totally wrong, those vocals(if you are speaking about the same ones which I doubt) are not the typical ones used by Protecto. I do now that both have different styles but the vocal lines I mention were something new in that song.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:32 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
You are totally wrong, those vocals(if you are speaking about the same ones which I doubt) are not the typical ones used by Protecto. I do now that both have different styles but the vocal lines I mention were something new in that song.

You're going to have to be more specific and give examples. There's a lot of vocal 'styles' to be found in Summoning. Silenius and Protector both have their own voices that can be distinguishable, to clean baritone singing (like found at the end of "Earthshine"), to softer female singing in "Evernight", to many spoken word passages. The totality of the vocals in Summoning are quite varied.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:07 pm 

Sounds good. I like the new sample even if it's... kinda "soft"? It sounds nice though.

Ilwhyan wrote:
Man, I still remember how disappointed I was when Pantera broke up without having done another glam album. :(

Haha. To be fair, I non-ironically agree with this! Glamtera >>>>>>>>> Pantera

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:44 am 

https://summoning.bandcamp.com/album/with-doom-we-come

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:49 am 

Hm, that definitely sounds a lot better now that we can hear the whole song in context. Seems like a mix of OMD and that super-reverby production of Oathbound.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:21 pm 

This particular song isn't doing anything for me on first listen, but there's usually at least one song per album where that's the case for me. I agree that Protector has different vocal styles, unfortunately this sort of shout-y type is my least favorite of his. The flute/synth lines seem sort of...flat? Like they are missing some oomph or something.

On the plus side, the choir works well and I like the second layer that appears halfway through, normally when they've done choirs in the past it's just the same melody repeating. The harmonizing caught me by surprise in a good way.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:35 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
https://summoning.bandcamp.com/album/with-doom-we-come

Yeah, this makes way more sense, thanks! :beer:

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:33 pm 

I love it! :D
It is very similar to the sad and melancholic atmosphere of Oathbound, moreso than the more triumphant and big sounds on OMD.
Protector's vocals are epic! I tried doing that just now and it hurts my throat more than regular black metal screams.
It's amazing how these men are able to make so beautiful and soaring music even after so many years doing the same style.
:beer:

CradleOfBurzum
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:56 pm 

Song was OK. But, what's wrong with the production? It sounds so flat, weak, and just lacks... oomph.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:02 pm 

Yessssssssssssss new song is great! And only getting better with repeated listens. I think that's one of their best choir sections yet. Also I'm pretty sure this is their second-longest song ever behind Land of the Dead.

Speaking of which, I just noticed the track lengths were included on the album's MA page. Anyone know where they came from? Are we seriously not getting an intro track this time??

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:36 pm 

This is fucking glorious!! Massive hype for the whole album now. I love the production to bits.

thrashfan07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:23 pm 

Razakel wrote:
Yessssssssssssss new song is great! And only getting better with repeated listens. I think that's one of their best choir sections yet. Also I'm pretty sure this is their second-longest song ever behind Land of the Dead.

Speaking of which, I just noticed the track lengths were included on the album's MA page. Anyone know where they came from? Are we seriously not getting an intro track this time??

I added them. They came from the Bandcamp page. You can see track lengths on Bandcamp before the songs become available to listen to often times by clicking "share / embed" underneath the album cover, picking a player, and clicking "show tracklist."

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:37 am 

raumr wrote:
I love it! :D
It is very similar to the sad and melancholic atmosphere of Oathbound, moreso than the more triumphant and big sounds on OMD.
Protector's vocals are epic! I tried doing that just now and it hurts my throat more than regular black metal screams.
It's amazing how these men are able to make so beautiful and soaring music even after so many years doing the same style.
:beer:

I agree with the fact that it has a OB vibe which is great to me. The melodies are beautiful.

Sadly the vocals are... uff bad, I do hope that as it happened in OMD(if I am not wrong) this will be the only one with those vocals.

Horace Bones
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:40 am 

I liked the song, but I can’t help feeling that it sounds like a leftover from OMD. I wonder if that’s why they ditched the previously mentioned EP and were able to release a full length in a relatively short(er) time. It’s definitely a somber track and it kind of feels like a combination of OMD and OB characteristics. It has OMD’s signature sounds, but has a bit of the production and lingering structure of an OB song.

Protector’s vocals are definitely different even if the differences are subtle. They are a little bit more clear and even more “sing-a-longy”. I actually don’t have a problem with them because I think it fits the mood of the song fairly well. Let’s just hope we get a couple of black metal infused tracks as well.

So pumped.

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:14 pm 

It hath leaked!

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:10 pm 

Of course *I* would never engage in illegal acts of intellectual property theft and piracy... but those of you who would, how's the album?

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:33 pm 

pfk505 wrote:
It hath leaked!

Leaked? Or was set loose?

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:16 pm 

Gah, fuck. I knew it would leak but now I feel simultaneously disappointed and elated. It's just not the same to have your first impression through a leak rather than placing that vinyl down on the turntable on release day, but I know I won't be able to resist. Maybe I actually will try to this time, but probably not.

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:06 pm 

Razakel wrote:
Gah, fuck. I knew it would leak but now I feel simultaneously disappointed and elated. It's just not the same to have your first impression through a leak rather than placing that vinyl down on the turntable on release day, but I know I won't be able to resist. Maybe I actually will try to this time, but probably not.

I couldn't agree more. But I can't resist this time.. it's like a month and a half out and most people will listen to it, have their discussions and move on by the time January rolls around. At least the rip is good, and the album is absolutely fantastic (as if there were any doubt). It is aurally and structurally quite similar to OMD so that will put some off, but those who enjoyed it should love this. First of many, many spins!

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:06 pm 

I can't believe some of these leaks are happening SO far in advance. If i remember correctly, the last Cradle Of Filth and Anthrax records leaked months before their release, as well. It must have really sucked for Cradle, because they had a huge roll-out promo planned.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:48 pm 

pfk505 wrote:
It hath leaked!

Really?!? :eek:

SleepingStar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:07 pm 

Yup, at least it's a good quality leak unlike when OMD first came out. If it was a bit closer to release date I would have waited, but not two months.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:31 am 

K I'm halfway through and this is...perfect. I'm basically speechless other than that. Carcharoth is the instant 10/10 classic so far but Herumor sounds like a total Dol Goldur throwback. I'm also obsessed with that opening track and I've only heard it once. God dammit Summoning, how do you do it?

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:07 am 

I have yet to give it a full listen but I could confirm what a friend of mine told me. Instrumentally is an awesome work but there is too much experimentation with the vocals, there are only a few of the classic ones, while those shitty vocals of the single track appear on 3 songs.

I also think that those leaks hurt the band inmensely. I mean, a few days can be acceptable, but almost three months before is too much. Perhaps I will feel guitly and I won´t end the cd.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:29 am 

SleepingStar wrote:
Yup, at least it's a good quality leak unlike when OMD first came out. If it was a bit closer to release date I would have waited, but not two months.

It's 320CBR but we don't know the source.

Razakel wrote:
K I'm halfway through and this is...perfect. I'm basically speechless other than that. Carcharoth is the instant 10/10 classic so far but Herumor sounds like a total Dol Goldur throwback. I'm also obsessed with that opening track and I've only heard it once. God dammit Summoning, how do you do it?

Paganbasque wrote:
I have yet to give it a full listen but I could confirm what a friend of mine told me. Instrumentally is an awesome work but there is too much experimentation with the vocals, there are only a few of the classic ones, while those shitty vocals of the single track appear on 3 songs.
I also think that those leaks hurt the band inmensely. I mean, a few days can be acceptable, but almost three months before is too much. Perhaps I will feel guitly and I won´t end the cd.

Wait, wait! If you're referring to me... I was drunk! :-P
I'm on my 2-3 listen. Only the first and last songs impressed me so far.

Braltika
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:35 am 

Well I couldn't resist.

I've noticed quite a polarized appreciation for the band and OMD is like the epitome of black and white taste it would seem.

On OMD, the songs that resonated best with me are the title track, Caradhras, Flammifer, Of Pale White Morns And Darkened Eves and White Tower. Wandering Fire and Earthshine did not appeal to me and I feel on WDIC, this style of tracks is a bit more prominent than on OMD. Evidently, the more intricate melodies from OMD like Caradhras or Flammifer are lacking on WDIC, I feel. I'd even compare the style more to Nightshade Forests but with the percussion and samples from OMD.

Don't get me wrong, this is Summoning and it's quality stuff but it'll divide the fans just like the last album I feel.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:38 am 

Braltika wrote:
Well I couldn't resist.
I've noticed quite a polarized appreciation for the band and OMD is like the epitome of black and white taste it would seem.
On OMD, the songs that resonated best with me are the title track, Caradhras, Flammifer, Of Pale White Morns And Darkened Eves and White Tower. Wandering Fire and Earthshine did not appeal to me and I feel on WDIC, this style of tracks is a bit more prominent than on OMD. Evidently, the more intricate melodies from OMD like Caradhras or Flammifer are lacking on WDIC, I feel. I'd even compare the style more to Nightshade Forests but with the percussion and samples from OMD.
Don't get me wrong, this is Summoning and it's quality stuff but it'll divide the fans just like the last album I feel.

I feel (fear) the same.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:47 am 

This is a weird Summoning album. It sounds like Summoning, but it doesn't, at the same time. All the elements are present but they're just not as strong as I would have liked. Half the album sounds like b sides and unfinished tracks. I don't hear anything with the power of Rotting Horse, or Over Old Hills or Northward, for example. Overall, I just hear a lack of energy. I like it but don't see myself coming back to it a lot. Ah well.

grendizer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:31 am 

Hey don't you think Summoning should have put all "With doom we come" tracks on the same CD? I'm pissed with these special releases. I didn't buy "Old Morning Dawn" soon enough and now I only have the 8 tracks CD. But I LOVE this album, so I have been looking for the 10 tracks versions on Ebay, but had no luck. And I'm sure it would be very expensive.
Now for "With doom we come" , if I want to have all tracks, I have to pay 45€ and then they'll be on 2 CD's. Not a good deal I.M.O.

BTW the best Summoning album is "Dol Guldur" : )

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:20 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Wait, wait! If you're referring to me... I was drunk! :-P
I'm on my 2-3 listen. Only the first and last songs impressed me so far.

I guess you were more drunk than you think because when we talked you were still listening to OMD.
:D

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:31 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
I guess you were more drunk than you think because when we talked you were still listening to OMD.
:D

I know that but I thought you were talking about our talk.
P.S: I did listen to the new one later.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:33 am 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
This is a weird Summoning album. It sounds like Summoning, but it doesn't, at the same time.

That's exactly what many people said about the last one.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:06 am 

Yeah it will definitely be divisive.. but I think that would be the case almost no matter what. This band (rightly) has a lot of fans spanning various metal genres and they will all come with expectations. Making a follow-up to OMD that sounds very much like it, an already divisive album, they had to know what the reaction would be.

Anyway as a big fan of OMD I love the new album, I think it's fantastic.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next