Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheSouthernViking
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:36 am 

Hey guys, I just wanted to know, what's your favorite Darkthrone album? Mine's a tie between Panzerfaust and A Blaze in the Northern Sky.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:51 am 

There is only one true answer:

All of them.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:02 am 

"Soulside Journey" is easily their best album, no contest. As for their black metal stuff, that would have to be "Under a Funeral Moon".

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:03 am 

Transilvanian Hunger, which is possibly my favorite album in general. Its atmosphere is cold, dark and utterly vampiric. It's the template of what black metal should be, and over 20 years later it's never been bested nor duplicated, and certainly not for lack of trying.

Emptiness Cycle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:04 am 

I'm pretty sure we've had this thread around 1,000,000 times already.

RichardDeBenthall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:14 am 

For me its Blaze In The Northern Sky. I think it's just got a little more variety than all of the other albums and some of the riffs seem genuinely heavy while still maintaining the Black Metal production style harshness and coldness. Stuff like the bridge riffs in Pagan Winter and In The Shadow Of The Horns. I also really like Arctic Thunder too but that's just because its the first Darkthrone album I bought on Vinyl so the one I spin the most.

Having said all that, I'm hardly the biggest Darkthrone fan in the world and I've only just taken to actively started exploring them. Really keen to get to grips with them though because they seem like one of the more evocative Black Metal bands, along with Burzum.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:52 am 

I think I've made my love for Panzerfaust quite known. I love when Darkthrone gets Celtic Frosty.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:05 am 

Panzerfaust for me. Stylistically it fits neither their classic trilogy, nor does it fit their later "mid era" that came after: It is its own thing. The Hordes of Nebulah is my favourite Darkthrone song of all time, with a heavy-as-fuck riffs from beginning to end, and the folky stomp of Quintessence is the definite highlight of the album.

While I think Total Death and Ravishing Grimness had some very good songs, and are somewhat overlooked, they never reached the passion of Panzerfaust again in their career in my opinion.

true_death wrote:
"Soulside Journey" is easily their best album, no contest. As for their black metal stuff, that would have to be "Under a Funeral Moon".

I'm not a death metal fan at all, but I quite like that album. I think they incorporated synth very well.

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:38 am 

Didn't we literally have this exact thread like a week ago? for what its worth Under a Funeral Moon, ask me again in another week.

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:07 pm 

I'm going to be 'boring' and say Transilvanian Hunger. Another prime example of the ethos 'less is more'.

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:47 pm 

Hate Them...

ratrace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:57 pm 

true_death wrote:

A ridiculosely mediocre-to-terrible an album, even when compared to contrmporaty standards. But then again, DT is one of the worst bands to even walk the earth, and other than some glimpses of actual musicianship on their sophomore AKA A Blaze..., if this band had never existed I wouldn't have even noticed or been bothered by that...

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:27 pm 

ratrace wrote:
true_death wrote:

A ridiculosely mediocre-to-terrible an album, even when compared to contrmporaty standards.

"Contrmporaty" standards, you say? Don't know what that is, but you've piqued my interest, I must say!

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:44 pm 

I would choose either Panzerfaust or Ravishing. Their 90's period was mostly great anyway.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:01 pm 

For me, it will always be A Blaze. such a huge revelation when I first heard it (about the third album from the band I'd listened to, so it wasn't my introduction to them), and I never grow tired of it. The riffs still have that shade of Autopsy about them at times, but it comes off much better to me than the somewhat restrained and clean Soulside Journey, in part because of the obvious additional influences (Bathory, Frost, Motorhead, etc). I love the way it sounds and basically I wouldn't change a thing if I could.

I do enjoy pretty much all their stuff to some degree. I can put on just about all their albums except maybe for Ravishing and be happy. But yeah, Blaze is "the one".
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Norrmania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:26 pm 

ABitNS to Panzerfaust are all fucking great albums that are hard for me to really rank. They all have their strengths and unique feel to them. Transilvanian Hunger is probably my favourite, such amazing, hypnotic and catchy riffs and kind of a nostalgic album for me. Panzerfaust would be my second favourite, though Ted's vocal performance on that one is probably my favourite out of the band's entire discography. Just so damn gritty and evil. Then followed by ABitNS and UaFM.

Outside the classic era though, think Dark Thrones and Black Flags is my favourite.

putrenista
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:47 pm 

Love the so-called trilogy of A Blaze in the Northern Sky, Under a Funeral Moon, and Transilvanian Hunger. Really need to get Soulside Journey, Panzerfaust, Sardonic Wrath, and The Cult is Alive, as I've only heard a little from each so far. And then the other albums I've heard in full are some of the newest ones, Dark Thrones and Black Flags, Circle the Wagons, and The Underground Resistance. And then of course someday I'll get around to Total Death, Ravishing Grimness, Plaguewielder, Hate Them, Goatlord, and F.O.A.D. Plus I still gotta check out the new album Arctic Thunder! But if I were to choose only one album, it's too hard to pick between Blaze, Funeral, and Hunger, so I'm actually going to say Dark Thrones and Black Flags is my personal favorite. Played that album a ton when it came out, and it's great to listen to while driving as well.

controlledbleeding
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:32 pm 

I for one actually like the fuzzy muffled production of Total Death. Great album.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:02 pm 

Its hard to say for me. Most of their albums are uneven in terms of songwriting, for me at least, the exception being "Transylvanian Hunger" which is pretty consistent throughout.

But I like the epic, fucking outstanding high points of "Sardonic Wrath" "Hate Them" and "Arctic Thunder" more than the evenly good points of "Transylvanian Hunger." If that makes sense.

So, I, uh...have to say "Transylvanian Hunger" but yet, I would honestly rather crank , for example, "Rust" or "Tundra Leach" or a few individual tracks from the other three aforementioned albums.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:43 pm 

Hooray for joining in the thread necromancy. But honestly, this:

iAm wrote:

All of them.

~Guest 343918
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:51 am 

iAm wrote:

All of them.

I don't really need anything after F.O.A.D., their last truly great album, although Arctic Thunder was a decent return to form after The Underground Resistance which I got nothing out of.

It's hard to name a single favourite album when the band has three or four quite distinct eras, from death metal through black metal (which I would divide further into the classic era and the middle period) to the current hiking metal punk stuff. Hell, I can't even decide between Soulside Journey and Goatlord, let alone decide which is the best classic era album. I would probably, just probably say that the criminally underrated middle period from Total Death to Sardonic Wrath is my personal favourite era. The latter and Hate Them were released during a very formative period in my life.

P.S. Is it really necromancy if the thread is barely two months old?

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:06 am 

I would say Transylvanian Hunger, A Blaze and F.O.A.D. I do like all albums though and think this is one of the most important bands in extreme metal history. Darkthrone are the best!

~Guest 417309
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:42 am 

Panzerfaust was the album that got me into them and the one I still play a lot since my days of first getting into them and relishing in their discography. It's their coldest, most wintery sounding album to me. En Vind Av Sorg and Hans Siste Vinter are perfect songs.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:47 am 

iAm wrote:

All of them.

I agree for the most part. Soulside Journey is a death metal classic imo. The black metal stuff is legendary (TH, Pf in particular). Even the new black/heavy metal/crust direction is alright by me, although I was slightly disappointed by Arctic Thunder. However, my opinion on it got more positive with repeated listens. I haven't checked out Goatlord & Plaguewielder yet. Soon perhaps.

Darkthrone is just one of those bands that scratches a particular itch for me. The atmosphere, the primitivism, the 'traditional' approach etc.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:58 am 

I absolutely loved Arctic Thunder. So many solid riffs. That riff on the title track is <3 pure bliss. Each Darkthrone album brings something new to the table, even the so called black/crust run with FOAD, Dark Thrones, Circle the Wagons, etc. Each one approached it from a slightly different perspective, with really fun results.

I get why some people don't like certain eras, as with everything, it's to each their own, but I haven't found any Darkthrone albums where I haven't found something to love.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:03 pm 

Panzerfaust.

Crescent_Moon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:07 pm 

Total Death. At first for the great cover artwork and second for Ravnajuv. This song is audial desolation at its best!
Ravishing Grimness. Absolutely underrated album in my opinion. Darkthrone went midtempo and did it great!

xxld1k
The Sweetest Summer Child EVER!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:26 pm 

Emptiness Cycle wrote:
I'm pretty sure we've had this thread around 1,000,000 times already.

There is always this guy

true_death wrote:

aaaaaand this guy. (even though i agree Soulside Journey IS their best :D

https://www.last.fm/user/xxld1k

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:22 pm 

Napalm_Satan wrote:
I'm going to be 'boring' and say Transilvanian Hunger. Another prime example of the ethos 'less is more'.

This. And I'd like to add one of the very few times "less is more" works.
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

squidrick9042
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:34 pm 

Most likely Panzerfaust but I am also pretty fond of Sardonic Wrath and Arctic Thunder. Now that I've had some time to let Arctic Thunder sink in I definitely like it a lot more than I did initially. I really enjoy The Underground Resistance as well as Dark Thrones and Black Flags and The Cult is Alive which has a lot of nostalgia for me. The unholy trinity is great but I think Panzerfaust tops all of them and really sums up what I love about black metal. It also has a winning formula of black metal song, Celtic Frost type song, black/doom song, repeat process, and end with weird ambient track.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:59 pm 

This thread needs a poll.

Riggs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:24 am 

At the moment it's Panzerfaust

Draehl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:51 am 

I actually like the 2 newest by a solid margin. I think they do the black n roll sound very well. Individually there are better songs in the older material, but for overall album quality I think the new stuff is gold.

Metalmeistermms
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:42 pm 

For some strange reason there is not one DT album I like from start to finish. I really, really want to like them more because I think their approach to the music and the "aesthetics" they have is THE essence of what Metal is all about in my opinion. That's also the reason why they can get away with whatever "genre" they play I think.

Eventhough there's no one album I truly love, there are enough songs that I actually do like alot. These are mostly the slower ones like In the shadow of the horns, Quintessence or Rust. Bleak doomy and agressive. They should do a whole album with songs like that, then maybe I could give a proper answer in the next best of DT thread.
Awaiting our reign

The Crazy Old School Music Fan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:13 am 

I will say Soulside Journey is my favorite.

Grimbeard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:33 am 

Hate Them!
A Blaze is their best but I'm going with my personal favorite
HATE THEM!

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:06 am 

put me down for A Blaze will ya? Thanks

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:12 pm 

I finally realized how good Transilvanian Hunger was! There is such a raw atmosphere within in the music. It really adds to the grimness of the album.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:57 pm 

Goatlord. Weird technical death metal is more my thing than black metal, but A Blaze is still great too.

PurpleDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:13 pm 

I've only listened to the first four, but among those it's a toss-up between A Blaze in the Northern Sky and Under a Funeral Moon. Changes by the day, but if I had to guess I'd say I lean more often towards Blaze.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next