Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:08 pm 

Iced Earth's "The Glorious Burden" is all about the Battle of Gettysburg.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:13 pm 

Okay wait I can't believe I missed one of the most obvious and awesome examples here. Macabre's Dahmer, obviously about the life of notorious serial killer Jeffery Dahmer. Macabre normally dedicates one single song to whichever notorious murderer they want to screech about, but Dahmer got an entire album dedicated to him, and it's actually my favorite Macabre album. It's just fucking loaded with classics, The Trial is one of their all time greats along with Drill Bit Lobotomy.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

~Guest 135946
MUH BOTH SIDES!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:34 am 

traxan wrote:
Iced Earth's "The Glorious Burden" is all about the Battle of Gettysburg.

Thank you for turning me on to this album. Now I know why Iced Earth is so well known in metal even with how terrible this album is rated, never listened to them before. Great build in "High Water Mark" and I like the description of day 1, July 1 1863.

I'm disappointed that Chamberlain's charge, the Devil's Den, even Sickles' folly in the wheatfield aren't mentioned and instead they go on and on about how "we must hold at all costs". That wasn't the entirety of it! The 20th Maine held out until they ran out of ammo and then executed a textbook hammer and anvil that generals and West Pointers study today, absolutely routed an entire brigade with less than 300 men and caused Hood's division to break in disarray. Big missed opportunities through this set of songs.

Gettysburg is a landmark like no other in the United States and that battlefield is one of the most influential places I have ever visited when I was a youngster. Seeing such a serene and open field where such slaughter occurred, tripping and falling on Little Round Top in the heat of summer, seeing my family's name on state monuments from both sides of the battle, those are memories that will stick with me as much as the memorization of each battle map and every military shortcoming that every historian lists off the tops of their heads and that caused such a ridiculous rate of casualties.

The charge of the Light Brigade is nothing compared to the failure of the Army of Northern Virginia at Gettysburg and the reason for the battle is testament to one of Caesar's greatest attributed adages, "in war, events of importance are the result of trivial causes". Heath and his need for fresh shoes. That confluence was not necessary ground and Lee's invasion of the North was intended as a series of jabs at the North to finally make it capitulate and understand that a war of attrition was worse than the worst peace.

Sherman showed the South that the North could make war far worse for them later on and only because of the ANV's devastation at Gettysburg did it become a necessary plan to let him make his marches.

It's too bad that the music doesn't do it justice. It's not great but it's listenable.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:53 am 

Vikings latest album "No Child Left Behind" has a couple of songs based on real life events.
"9:02 on Flight 182" is about a midair plane crash between a Cessna and a 727 in 1978 killing 144 people. It was witnessed by Guitarist/Vocalist Ron Eriksen while at school.
"Eaten by a Bear" is about a girl being eaten by a Mother Bear with cubs while her cellphone is on and her mother can hear what is happening. Pretty bizarre, but looked it up and seems legit.
I gotta add that Vikings new album is awesome and is in my opinion (along with Mortal Sins last album "Psychology of Death") one of the best Thrash albums in the last 25 years.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:50 am 

Revisiting this old thread, I remembered one. Nevermore's "The River Dragon Has Come" is about the collapse of dams on the Banqiao and Shimantan Dams in China in 1975 and the ensuing floods. A book was written in China warning that that event was nothing compared to what would happen if the Three Gorges dam every collapses, and the song reflects that warning.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:53 am 

DeathfareDevil wrote:
Kadath, a death/grind band from Germany, has an album called Chasing the Devil about the crimes, pursuit, capture, and prosecution of Ukrainian serial killer Andrei Chikatilo.
https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/K ... evil/10419

Not that there are non-fucked-up serial killer stories, but this one is supremely fucked up.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrei_Chikatilo

Album's not bad, either. Pretty effective.

Slayer's "Psychopathy Red" is also about that maniac.

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:26 am 

Iceman by Satan based on the killer Bobby "Iceman" and "The War Drags Ever On" by Tank based on the jihad conflicts( it is still happening now).

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:21 am 

Isn't the latest Moonspell album a concept about a massive earthquake whoch occurred in the 17th century?
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

at the gaytes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:16 am 

BastardHead wrote:
Okay wait I can't believe I missed one of the most obvious and awesome examples here. Macabre's Dahmer, obviously about the life of notorious serial killer Jeffery Dahmer. Macabre normally dedicates one single song to whichever notorious murderer they want to screech about, but Dahmer got an entire album dedicated to him, and it's actually my favorite Macabre album. It's just fucking loaded with classics, The Trial is one of their all time greats along with Drill Bit Lobotomy.

Isn't the entire Macabre discography based on real events?

Slayer's Jihad and Torture Squad's Towers on Fire are about 9/11.
Paradox's Heresy album, if I'm not mistaken, it's about that heretic sect of Christians that was crushed during the middle ages. Darkthrone's Kathaarian Life Code was about the same sect, if I remember correctly.
Sepultura have songs about the Carandiru massacre and some brazilian indian tribe who committed collective suicide (can't remember which songs lol).
Anthrax's One Man Stands is about that picture of that chinese guy opposing the tanks, if I'm not mistaken.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:42 am 

Testament's "The Evil Has Landed" (awesome title) is also about 9/11.

Pudgestomp
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:16 pm 

Bloodbath's "Eaten" was based on the killing and cannibalism of Bernd Jürgen Armando Brandes by Armin Meiwes, written from the viewpoint of Brandes and his desire to be eaten alive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armin_Meiwes

I remember first listening to this song when I was at the gym and thinking "damn, this song is pretty twisted." It was after looking more into it I found out about its basis. Reading the Wikipedia entry makes my stomach turn a bit.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2