Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:39 am 

Interesting concept indeed. I'm expecting a strong folk undercurrent, it would fit really well in those themes :)

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:07 am 

Always a band worth a listen. I've never been totally sold on Enslaved though, I think they have quite a few dead spots and filler material on most of their albums. I did really enjoy Verterbrae though. Really powerful release. I'll check this one out for sure :)

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:24 am 

I'm a huge, huge fan of Vertebrae, sometimes i feel i'm the only one :lol: It's like the ultimate fusion between their sound and Pompei-era Pink Floyd, wich i worship.
Few bands have this level of imagination, not even the subpar harsh vocals can bring it down :)

By the way, i like the cover art. Very bare-bone, but looks better than In Times.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:33 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
I'm a huge, huge fan of Vertebrae, sometimes i feel i'm the only one :lol: It's like the ultimate fusion between their sound and Pompei-era Pink Floyd, wich i worship.
Few bands have this level of imagination, not even the subpar harsh vocals can bring it down :)

By the way, i like the cover art. Very bare-bone, but looks better than In Times.

I think it's an album that's considerably held back by the forced metal trappings, especially the harsh vocals. I'd like it better if they had recorded it entirely as a progressive rock album, with 100% clean vocals, and a more spacious, open production.

Agreed on the cover art, it's perfectly fine.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:22 am 

I can agree, songs like Ground really call for clean vocals in the verse.. but yet at the same time i'm not sure if the chorus/pre-solo buildup would be as effective: it would lose the bit of contrast that makes that part so dreamy compared to the rest of the song...

i'm torn :lol:

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:28 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
I can agree, songs like Ground really call for clean vocals in the verse.. but yet at the same time i'm not sure if the chorus/pre-solo buildup would be as effective: it would lose the bit of contrast that makes that part so dreamy compared to the rest of the song...

i'm torn :lol:

That's why I thought it would have benefited from a production and mastering that allowed for more dynamic range between passages, so they could've played more with a quiet/loud dynamic, and even add crescendos for even better build-ups.

But then, one can only assume that they did the best they could.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:46 am 

They were unhappy with the production if i remember well, you are very probably right!

It's strange for me: it's an album that has some very evident flaws when i think rationally, but every single time i put it on i get completely caught in its hazy atmosphere and totally forget them :)

It would be really interesting to hear it re-recorded

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:54 am 

Honestly, it makes me happy to hear that there are fans of that album as well, even though I don't like it much myself.

As for production flaws and such, sometimes it just works out like that. One of my all-time favourite albums is Anathema's A Natural Disaster, and that's partly because of the production, and especially the way the guitars sound. Go ask Danny Cavanagh what he thinks about the production, and he'll tell you that it's more or less worthy of the album title. :lol:

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:54 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:
Yeah, I don't give a shit about the meaning either. They've always done this kinda half-assed esoteric/viking thing which I really couldn't care less about. Maybe if some of the artwork or titles were more intriguing I would be into it, but as that quote shows themes are not their strong suit. As long as they sound like Enslaved they could write about My Little Pony for all I care.

Having that kind of an attitude towards music would certainly make it very dull for me. I'm happy that there are musicians who are interested in exploring non-musical concepts and inserting them as themes in their musical works. While music can't directly convey much more than simply feelings, binding something less abstract into it makes it much stronger and more holistic.

emphasis on 'half-assed.' If the band doesn't make you care about their themes, they're probably not done too interestingly.

PurpleDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:01 pm 

I don't know if I'd agree with that. If a band puts a ton of effort into non-musical aspects, is it "half-assed" if I just happen not to care? narsilianshard has made it pretty clear that he's not a fan of their current aesthetic and lyrical direction, and that's fine, but then claiming the band isn't putting enough effort into them because they couldn't "make him care" seems like a bit of a stretch to me. Some people will care about the themes and others won't regardless of the band's level of effort.

(For the record, I generally enjoy their cover art and lyrics even if I don't think they're anything really profound - nothing worse than most metal bands I like, really.)

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:18 pm 

I think my problem is that I hold them to a ridiculously high standard. Maybe half-assed isn't the right word since you're right, they could be giving it their all and they think it's all masterful but it's just not to my liking. I'm just frustrated that my favorite band of all time don't have aesthetics that appeal to me. Just check out their official merch:
https://enslaved.aisamerch.com/c/clothing
That Yggdrasill shirt is the only thing that appeals to me in the slightest, and that really bums me out. I won't even be buying the vinyl of the new album because the cover art gives me no intrinsic pleasure whatsoever.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:55 pm 

See I love all the new merch since its minimalist and abstract, which is what I tend to go for in band shirts. Maybe I'm just boring. :lol:

PurpleDoom
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:57 pm 

I also like the merch for the new album, but the stuff they were rolling out for the 25th anniversary celebrations was on the whole pretty bad.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:12 am 

Interesting track. I have a feeling this is going to be very polarizing since it sounds like a mix between Vertebrae and In Times. Grutle's voice is about the same (I've never had a problem with it) and the new clean singer is inoffensive and not that different from Herbrand. Production is fucking gorgeous, really fits the more proggy style with all that breathing room. It does kind of feel like two songs mashed together, though. Seems like the first six minutes would have been a good intro to the album, and the second part its own straightforward aggressive song, but I guess they don't split things up like that anymore. Enjoying the mix of their modern styles, but it's definitely not going to win over any new fans.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:46 am 

Agree with everything.. but i'm a lot more enthusiastic because i really dig this Vertebrae-like feeling. Amazing.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:50 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I think understand the concept pretty well. It doesn't come across as something made up on the spot at all. It sounds pretty interesting, in fact.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with you, not sure how the other poster got the impression that he was just winging it. Seems like it was pretty fleshed out, and I'd expect nothing less from Ivar.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:54 am 

I was nodding my head along the whole song. Definitely hearing the Vertebrae style in there with the tight, progressive riffing. When the new vocalist cropped up, I thought, okay, we're staying on the rails here, no change in direction. His voice in the chorus is very layered, not as defined or full and emotive as Herbrand's choruses tended to be, but after all, I'm still humming "storm son." I'm wondering if they'll dial the clean choruses back and make them less explosive throughout the album; more Vertebrae than In Times, I guess. Anyway, the new vocalist was fitting here and the song is nearly flawless upon first impression. And yes, amazing production. And fitting music video as well!

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:19 am 

I really like the new track. Sounds like Enslaved.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:00 pm 

Pretty good song. Stoked for the album. I'm seeing them in late September in Quebec City too, 2 sets!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:14 pm 

Storm Son sounds great! I'm very happy about the more streamlined style and less progressive tonality.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:06 pm 

as been mentioned, the production is really, really good on this

Wombface
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:59 pm 

Enslaved are fucking geniuses. That was superb.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:24 pm 

The song is around 5 minutes longer than it should be. The first 5 minutes were boring as fuck but the second half was quite good, sounds a bit like the Isa material. The final bit was a kind of forced way to link both sections.

I vastly prefer these clean vocals than Herbrand's. Sounds closer to Grutle's own cleans.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:38 pm 

Yeah, editing is my biggest complaint with newer Enslaved. I would much prefer if this track were cut in half and we had 10 five-minute songs like they used to do instead of just six long ones. They still clearly write killer music (and I'm super stoked on this song and the album), but I don't see why they constantly force together different ideas into something that's much harder to digest; the lazy way of being prog.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:33 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Yeah, editing is my biggest complaint with newer Enslaved. I would much prefer if this track were cut in half and we had 10 five-minute songs like they used to do instead of just six long ones. They still clearly write killer music (and I'm super stoked on this song and the album), but I don't see why they constantly force together different ideas into something that's much harder to digest; the lazy way of being prog.

I love songs that start in some quiet point and develop an idea until it reaches a climax, but modern prog is just soft intro+ epic pseudochorus + proggy break+ clean full stop break + heavier section + either repeating intro/chorus/proggy break.

They could have made this: slow atmospheric song as a separate track that goes into the climax "heavier" track as 1 piece.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:17 pm 

The new track is pretty awesome and has me curious to hear the rest.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:28 pm 

Really gorgeous intro but I didn't find the song incredibly memorable. Will definitely give it more listens though. Really hoping Enslaved have another Axioma or Below the Lights in them, but they haven't really ever outright disappointed me. This is a lot better than the Satyricon track that was also released today :lol:

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:05 pm 

Sounds lush as hell. I like how unhurried and relaxed it is. I'm a big fan of later Enslaved because they come up with such gorgeous melodies and chord sequences, for both the quieter/lead moments and the riffs. It's great to hear more focus on the melodiousness and slow build rather than aggression and changeups. At least for this tune.
Sounds promising.

~Guest 394415
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:29 am 

Last edited by ~Guest 394415 on Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:54 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
into_the_pit wrote:
obligatory "they started sucking after frost" remark.

I know that's sarcasm - although I struggle to see what you're after here - but Frost sucks. Vikinglir veldi is great, of course, but they've outdone that primal rough diamond several times as well.

oh well, this was actually an ambivalent remark. first I think it's the plain truth; frost is a great record, and imo they did start sucking after it. blodhemn is kind of a mixed bag to me, but I basically never return to it, so meh. I thought this statement was still missing here. second, it was also meant as a (self-)ironic remark aimed at the "no post-frost enslaved" faction (to which I very much count myself).

regarding the new song: does nothing for me, typical modern soulless enslaved material. it's just not meant for me, but I still hail them gratefully for the early stuff they gave us.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

emperorjvl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:40 am 

Oh well, not a full-length Thorn, but I did enjoy the Storm Son song.

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:04 am 

The intro makes sense as it is the first song on the album. Some parts are just a wee bit overlong, and if those were a shaved off, it is one intense heavy section away from being awesome. But still, a good effort. no big changes for Enslaved.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:26 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
October 13th release date, first track coming this Friday.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows wrote:
Ivar goes on to describe the meaning of the album title...

Thanks!

narsilianshard wrote:
Interesting track. I have a feeling this is going to be very polarizing since it sounds like a mix between Vertebrae and In Times. Grutle's voice is about the same (I've never had a problem with it) and the new clean singer is inoffensive and not that different from Herbrand. Production is fucking gorgeous, really fits the more proggy style with all that breathing room. It does kind of feel like two songs mashed together, though. Seems like the first six minutes would have been a good intro to the album, and the second part its own straightforward aggressive song, but I guess they don't split things up like that anymore. Enjoying the mix of their modern styles, but it's definitely not going to win over any new fans.

I did feel the same.

Anyway, the song is strange. :scratch:

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:39 pm 

New song. Sounds great.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:41 pm 

http://www.metalinjection.net/video/ens ... usic-video

Looks like they have a new video up. Can't check it out now but will later!

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:02 pm 

[nevermind, didn't read the latest few posts. sorry]

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:48 pm 

oh good another avant-garde masterpiece from enslaved

Edit: Ok I just listened to Storm Son and... what was the point of this song? It went nowhere, had nothing holding it together, it was just a collection of chord progressions that don't really work and annoying time signatures that leave you hanging. What's to like about this shit? Yet again more "weird for the sake of being weird" Enslaved. Go jump in the bin and take Ihsahn with you.

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:28 pm 

I thought Storm Son was formulaic Enslaved that dragged on for too long; with the new song, I found myself trying to ignore the croak in order to get into this psychedelic rock, and then the song ended.
Not a fan of their new clean vocals either... Never been a big "clean era" Opeth fan, but what this does, is make me want to discover them. Or for Enslaved, listen to Isa and Ruun.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:48 pm 

Yeah, this...this doesn't go anywhere. I love modern Enslaved - Rittir was great and In Times was great even though it lost steam at the end a bit - but this may be where I finally jump ship.

Master_Debater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:04 pm 

The River's Mouth is pretty great, wasn't a huge fan of Storm Son though. Neat video too.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next