Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:20 am 

I have only listened to one sample described by someone(I don´t know if it was the label or the band itself) as the heaviest and most atmospheric one. Well, if they think so... :(

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:28 pm 

Paganbasque wrote:
I have only listened to one sample described by someone(I don´t know if it was the label or the band itself) as the heaviest and most atmospheric one. Well, if they think so... :(

Perhaps the rest of the song is heavy as fuck, and tha sounded quite atmospheric...
Not hearsay but the will of man

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:00 am 

Weirdly, I rather like Nemesis Divina but everything else is kinda crappy in their discography. That album hit the nail on the pigeon, though.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:25 pm 

I used to think Frost's drumming was pretty cool, but when I listened to that S/T album a while back all i kept thinking was how inappropriate and out of place the drumming was. Groovy rocking stuff doesn't call for double bass abuse. I am not sure what he was thinking but it was as though he and Satyr were working toward opposite aims. Be kind of interesting to see if they can actually be on the same page this time round, I guess.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:29 pm 

https://www.facebook.com/SatyriconOffic ... 71766125:0

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:30 pm 

I dislike the cover art. Hope the misuc is better

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:19 pm 

I like the artwork, but it doesn't go well with the band logo or the title font at all. Not sure why I follow Satyricon, as I don't really like anything they've done in the last 20 years.... I have watched them live twice, and they're a good live band, so I'll give them that.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:59 pm 

I mean, cover seems pretty in line with that pretentious art-house vibe that Satyr's had for the last 15 years or so outside his musical output, not too surprised.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:00 pm 

Ugh, the cover art sucks. I really hope the music is better.

Iron Wizard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:52 pm 

I'm not really looking forward to this, they haven't really done anything in the way of recent for a while. I liked a few songs off of Now, Diabolical, though. Maybe this will be the same...

-Ronnie James Dio, Black Sabbath- Heaven and Hell

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:26 pm 

Cover art is cool, I'll probably check this out.

emperorjvl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:18 am 

That's cover "art"? Looks like a page from an emo kid's drawings in math class. ugh.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:24 am 

I love when the artwork clearly says "this is gonna be a great sh*t, don´t lose your time". :D

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:57 am 

I don't care who did that drawing, it's terrible.

~Guest 323749
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:14 pm 

Terrible cover. I hope the music has more "oomph" to it than the Self titled.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:41 am 

red_blood_inside wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/SatyriconOfficial/posts/1482920471766125:0

:scratch:

Don't be lazy, please.

:nono:

Quote:
Nearly three years in the making, SATYRICON have announced that 'Deep calleth upon Deep', their highly anticipated ninth studio album, is set for release on 22nd September via Napalm Records.

Recorded in Oslo, Norway and Vancouver, Canada, during early 2017 and mixed together with revered studio guru Mike Fraser (who previously worked on SATYRICON’s 2006 album, ‘Now, Diabolical’), ‘Deep calleth upon Deep’ is not just a new collection of songs from one of extreme music’s most enduring and reliable bands: this is a wholesale reinvention and a brand new era in SATYRICON history.

Frontman and visionary, Satyr informs us “Approaching this release, what I always kept in mind is that either this is the beginning of something new or it’s gonna be my last record. If this is going to be the last, then it needs to be something special. If there are more records, then I’d better make sure that this is so different from the last one that it feels like a new beginning. I think it’s really, really dark, very spiritual and filled with confidence and energy.”

‘Deep calleth upon Deep’ is a profound statement about the essence of SATYRICON’s music and the eternal value of art itself. Satyr continues, “The way that I see it is that for any art, be it SATYRICON or any other form of art with substance, in order for you to be able to inhale and completely understand it, it will take a little bit of you as well. If you get it all after a couple of listens, you know that it probably won’t stay with you. So the title is saying, ‘From the depth of the people making this record to the depth of the listener…’ If you want to take part in this journey, you should be prepared to dig deep down in the darkest corner of your soul with us."

SATYRICON is also proud to share the album’s front cover - an obscure drawing from 1898 by perhaps the greatest Norwegian artist of all time, Edvard Munch.

SATYRICON have always excelled as a live band, their evocative performances increasingly becoming special events as their frequency is dialled back to accommodate the Oslo band’s new ‘modus operandi’. The band are set to play a European run of dates in support of Deep calleth upon Deep:

13.07.17 DE - Balingen / Bang Your Head Festival
15.07.17 LI - Anyksciai / Devilstone Festival
23.07.17 FR - Simandre-Sur- Suran / Ragnard Rock Festival
24.09.17 DE - Hamburg / Grünspan
25.09.17 DE - Essen / Turock
26.09.17 NL - Tilburg - 013
27.09.17 BE - Vosselaar / Biebob
29.09.17 UK - London / Heaven
30.09.17 FR - Paris / La Maroquinerie
01.10.17 FR - Nantes - MJC De Reze
02.10.17 FR - Toulouse / Le Metronum
04.10.17 ES – Madrid / Sala But
05.10.17 ES - Barcelona / Razzamatazz
06.10.17 FR – Montpellier / Rockstore
07.10.17 IT - Bologna / Zona Roveri
09.10.17 CH - Zurich / Dynamo
10.10.17 DE – Munich / Backstage Halle
11.10.17 AT - Vienna / Szene
12.10.17 CZ – Prague / Akropolis
14.10.17 PL - Krakow / Kwadrat
15.10.17 PL – Warsaw / Progresja
16.10.17 DE – Berlin / SO36
17.10.17 DK - Copenhagen / Pumpehuset
19.10.17 DK - Aarhus / Train
20.10.17 SE - Gotherburg / Pustervik
21.10.17 SE – Stockholm / Klubben
22.11.17 NO - Molde / Gamle Kulturset
23.11.17 NO - Trondheim / Byscenen
24.11.17 NO - Oslo / Sentrum Scene
25.11.17 NO - Tromso / Driv
29.11.17 NO - Bergen / Hulen
30.11.17 NO - Stavanger / Folken
01.12.17 NO - Kristiansand / Kick
02.12.17 NO - Hamar / Gregers

‘Deep calleth upon Deep’ will be released in digital format, a CD digipak and gatefold vinyl options. Pre-orders will go live in August.

Thanks.

controlledbleeding
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:07 pm 

You always hope Satyricon will pull something out close to their Nemesis era... they are an excellent live band but fuck, they have released some rubbish over the last 10-15 years. You never know but I would not hold my breath judging by those comments above...

squidrick9042
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:28 am 

emperorjvl wrote:
That's cover "art"? Looks like a page from an emo kid's drawings in math class. ugh.

So that is where the page from my 2005 freshmen math notebook went...

On the topic at hand I'm still fairly excited for the album as I liked their latest output quite a bit and later era Satyricon never bothered me. It seems that I stayed more interested in the bands from the early 90s Norwegian scene who abandoned the straight black metal style than those who hardly changed. I personally think other countries like France and most of Eastern Europe carried on the black metal torch better than Norway did so I prefer the Norwegian bands who experiment with stuff. I hope that the album art is hinting at a bit of a goth metal direction with the new album, I would probably be really into that.

Then again, as I type this I am listening to Cold Lake and enjoying it so perhaps I have no authority on anything anymore lol.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:52 am 

God what an awful fucking cover. I thought it was a Dance of Death type deal; with a rough sketch becoming the final cover at the insistence of the band. But instead it's just some random doodle by a famous artist. The skull is almost comical. Holy fuck what were they thinking

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:58 am 

Blech. That art's lame. I didn't really care for the last Satyricon album, and that cover art already puts a bad taste in my mouth.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:27 am 

Acrobat wrote:
Weirdly, I rather like Nemesis Divina but everything else is kinda crappy in their discography. That album hit the nail on the pigeon, though.

Pretty much. It's a tremendous improvement over the amateurish early stuff, but the way they seemingly managed to unlearn every aspect of the skill demonstrated on that album is even more impressive.

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:34 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
red_blood_inside wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/SatyriconOfficial/posts/1482920471766125:0

:scratch:

Don't be lazy, please.

Haha, sorry

PazuzuZlave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:57 am 

Wow. Just wow @ the cover art. Is anyone who have listened to their last five albums really surprised? The one and only factor needed to be named while discussing Satyricon is them overkilling minimalism. It's starting to become a parody, in the vein of the SNL scetch "More cowbell!". Instead of Christopher Walken, there's Satyr running into the studio yelling "More minimalism!"... Why, oh why, must they push their point of their art so far that it becomes uncomfortable? Somehow I can understand the choice of artwork, since it may mean something to the creators, but to me, it's just plain boring.

So yeah, the wow wasn't a positive one. Based on everything I've read, heard and generally hold a view of regarding the new record, it will not please anyone. Sorry, honest prediction.

https://katastropha.bandcamp.com
https://ragbroder.bandcamp.com

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:51 pm 

Tracklisting revealed:

01 – “Midnight Serpent”
02 – “Blood Cracks Open The Ground”
03 – “To Your Brethren In The Dark”
04 – “Deep Calleth Upon Deep”
05 – “The Ghost Of Rome”
06 – “Dissonant”
07 – “Black Wings And Withering Gloom”
08 – “Burial Rite“

http://www.theprp.com/2017/08/01/news/s ... k-listing/

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:49 pm 

I like the titles well enough. They're very them. Certain extreme bands like Behemoth, Opeth, My Dying Bride and Agalloch have a particular set of titles that fit them so well that they don't surprise you anymore. Similarly, Satyricon has got to have Black crows or wings and things cracking open.

sonofsatyr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:32 pm 

I've had the chance to listen to a majority of the album when the band live-streamed the final mixing session back in June via their Instagram account. Its going to be a good album.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:24 am 

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows wrote:
Tracklisting revealed:

01 – “Midnight Serpent”
02 – “Blood Cracks Open The Ground”
03 – “To Your Brethren In The Dark”
04 – “Deep Calleth Upon Deep”
05 – “The Ghost Of Rome”
06 – “Dissonant”
07 – “Black Wings And Withering Gloom”
08 – “Burial Rite“

http://www.theprp.com/2017/08/01/news/s ... k-listing/

Thanks!

sonofsatyr wrote:
I've had the chance to listen to a majority of the album when the band live-streamed the final mixing session back in June via their Instagram account. Its going to be a good album.

Define "good album", please.

I would have been interesting to see them at Ragnard:
https://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=2743013#p2743013
Fuck!

sonofsatyr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:03 pm 

Everyone has a different definition of "good album" your definition isn't the fool proof answer to best all answers, my musical tastes differ from you'rs. therefore my idea of "good" is just as irrelevant as your's when it comes to decent and thoughtful discussion, thus not worth adding onto.

sonofsatyr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:17 pm 

For what its worth, the album is much darker than the S/T album, and the production is much more raw. The music has hints of inspiration from the previous works laced within its Dissonate guitar chords, notably Nemesis Divina, Rebel Extravaganza, and The Age of Nero. There are also more diverse tones, one might compare to the Norwegian band Shining for example. Overall, from what I've heard Deep Calleth Upon Deep is the bands most diverse work, and one I am personally looking forward to. Look forward to hearing the title track sometime within the next week or so.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:24 am 

sonofsatyr wrote:
Everyone has a different definition of "good album" your definition isn't the fool proof answer to best all answers, my musical tastes differ from you'rs. therefore my idea of "good" is just as irrelevant as your's when it comes to decent and thoughtful discussion, thus not worth adding onto.

Sure. So, the only thing you could do is to explain WHY do you consider it good and COMPARE it to their previous albums, right? :scratch:

:nono:

sonofsatyr wrote:
For what its worth, the album is much darker than the S/T album, and the production is much more raw. The music has hints of inspiration from the previous works laced within its Dissonate guitar chords, notably Nemesis Divina, Rebel Extravaganza, and The Age of Nero. There are also more diverse tones, one might compare to the Norwegian band Shining for example. Overall, from what I've heard Deep Calleth Upon Deep is the bands most diverse work, and one I am personally looking forward to. Look forward to hearing the title track sometime within the next week or so.

This sounds interesting but I'm afraid we'll be dissapointed AGAIN.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:41 am 

sonofsatyr wrote:

Is there any fast song on the album?

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:43 pm 

Paganbasque wrote:
sonofsatyr wrote:

Is there any fast song on the album?

The S/T had a couple of fast songs too. If the production is heavier, then that style of songs will shine.

sonofsatyr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:38 pm 

The production is darker, heavier and rawer than than the S/T album. Speed has never played a deciding factor on any genre of metal for my own personal tastes, I like most music as long as there is substance in the lyrics, vocal performance/audio able drive from the singer, character in the musicianship, and soul in the music itself. (something modern pop/r&b and other genres lack for ex. and I can't stand it) With that being said this album varies overall when it comes to speed, its really complex and something that has to be listened too. On the topic of comparison with the S/T album I will say that the fifth track is the Phoenix of this one, and will surely make the skin of Trve elitist crawl but thats them and they will never change. I personally enjoy the entire discography of Satyricon (and most other Norwegian bands for that matter), even the self-titled demo (the all evil tape) which Satyr himself has steered clear away from since the second demo.

HideYourHole
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:36 am 

sonofsatyr wrote:
The production is darker, heavier and rawer than than the S/T album. Speed has never played a deciding factor on any genre of metal for my own personal tastes, I like most music as long as there is substance in the lyrics, vocal performance/audio able drive from the singer, character in the musicianship, and soul in the music itself. (something modern pop/r&b and other genres lack for ex. and I can't stand it) With that being said this album varies overall when it comes to speed, its really complex and something that has to be listened too. On the topic of comparison with the S/T album I will say that the fifth track is the Phoenix of this one, and will surely make the skin of Trve elitist crawl but thats them and they will never change. I personally enjoy the entire discography of Satyricon (and most other Norwegian bands for that matter), even the self-titled demo (the all evil tape) which Satyr himself has steered clear away from since the second demo.

Wat

PazuzuZlave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:43 am 

sonofsatyr wrote:
...this album varies overall when it comes to speed, its really complex and something that has to be listened too.

I sincerely don't know what you're after. This applies to the previous records as well. The S/T, The Age of Nero, Now, Diabolical and Volcano were all very varying in terms of speed and style.
I can't decide whether you're on a personal mission to convince others how good this record will be, or if you're actually working as a promoter for the band. In any case, we'll be disappointed as usual.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:07 am 

PazuzuZlave wrote:
I sincerely don't know what you're after. This applies to the previous records as well. The S/T, The Age of Nero, Now, Diabolical and Volcano were all very varying in terms of speed and style.
I can't decide whether you're on a personal mission to convince others how good this record will be, or if you're actually working as a promoter for the band. In any case, we'll be disappointed as usual.

Oh, c'mon! Why?!? You're not convinced by a user called "sonofsatyr" trying to sell you the last Satyricon album with inane arguments? :roll:

:-D

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:22 am 

sonofsatyr wrote:

sonofsatyr wrote:

hello sigurd, please don't post again when spaced out on coke and red wine ok?
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:45 pm 

Apparently, Deep Calleth upon Deep will also mark the resurrection of Moonfog (as one can see by looking below the CD ring), though it will be (co-)released (?) by Napalm Records. Is this album so important to Satyr that he decided to bring his former label back to life? We'll have to wait and see, good thing that the first single drops at 11, August.

Yes it is.

PazuzuZlave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:53 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
PazuzuZlave wrote:

Oh, c'mon! Why?!? You're not convinced by a user called "sonofsatyr" trying to sell you the last Satyricon album with inane arguments? :roll:

:-D

Oops... Okay.
1. I was way too baked...
2. I was way too drunk.
Sorry :D

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:24 am 

sonofsatyr wrote:
On the topic of comparison with the S/T album I will say that the fifth track is the Phoenix of this one, and will surely make the skin of Trve elitist crawl but thats them and they will never change.

PazuzuZlave wrote:
Oops... Okay.
1. I was way too baked...
2. I was way too drunk.
Sorry :D

Ok, but stay in alert and keep your Trve elitist's skin safe! Image

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next