Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:24 pm 

The cover art looks like something Ved Buens Ende would've used.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:52 am 

LefterisK wrote:
Apparently, Deep Calleth upon Deep will also mark the resurrection of Moonfog (as one can see by looking below the CD ring), though it will be (co-)released (?) by Napalm Records. Is this album so important to Satyr that he decided to bring his former label back to life? We'll have to wait and see, good thing that the first single drops at 11, August.

If Moonfog comes back, I sure hope they re-release "Dark Medieval Times" and the Storm album.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:09 am 

It would be great if they re-release The Shadowthrone. :)

sonofsatyr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:56 pm 

Paganbasque wrote:
It would be great if they re-release The Shadowthrone. :)

It would be great to see re-issues of the first two albums! To add on to that I think it would be nice to have a complete boxset from Dark Medieval Times to Deep Calleth Upon Deep.

frostyj66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:08 pm 

Fucking awful cover art. Trying to be artsy and edgy but instead comes off as childish and pretentious.

Just had a listen to the title track on Spotify and it exceeded my expectations.

The song still had that typical black'n'roll swagger they've been obsessed with of late which I don't care too much for but I could hear in some passages that classic Satyricon mid-pace plodding style rearing its head which was a nice throwback to pre-Rebel Ex era.

This band lost me since Now, Diabolical but I'll interested to listen to this album when it comes out.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:26 am 

frostyj66 wrote:
Fucking awful cover art. Trying to be artsy and edgy but instead comes off as childish and pretentious.

Edvard Munch from 1898 is childish and pretentious? Or the band is for using one of Norway's most celebrated artists?

frostyj66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:44 am 

^oh dear.... I hope you're not one of those art snobs that thinks just because it's labelled 'art' means it's good?

It's terrible.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:48 am 

Please, call it what it is: an Edvard Munch doodle, And not a good one.

The only good thing in this one is the nose of the right guy.

I love the artist and i've had the luck to see most of his paintings when i was in Oslo, but this is not the level of quality i'm accustomed to.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:02 am 

Just screwing around here but if they wanted a visually striking Munch that wasn't as known as The Scream, they could've gone with this.

Spoiler: show

e: oops, fixed image size

frostyj66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:26 am 

DeathfareDevil wrote:
Just screwing around here but if they wanted a visually striking Munch that wasn't as known as The Scream, they could've gone with this.

e: oops, fixed image size

You're hired! ; )

So has anyone else heard the title track yet? Be interested to hear others' thoughts on it.... especially if you're familiar with their recent releases and how much of a departure (if any) this is. Has me intrigued in the new album at least!

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:31 am 

Colored black metal artwork?!?!? Fired! :lol:
Looks good by the way, even if the dark red it's hard to read.. and obviously much better than the real one :)

I missed the preview track, where i can find it?

frostyj66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:27 am 

^I listened to it on Spotify - not sure if that helps. Wasn't on Youtube yet last I checked.

hallowed78
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:33 am 

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:46 am 

Y'all are crazy, the cover art is a great choice, doodle or not.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:58 pm 

this song is weird af. also the cover art rules you loser.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:13 pm 

I liked the song, the main riff is nice and catchy, the choir vocals work nicely here in my opinion. It is definitely better than anything in their latest album, not sure if I can get through 50-60 mins of similar stuff though, I guess I'll wait 'till listening to the full thing.
Also, I think the cover sucks no matter how renowned its author is. It looks like an ugly doodle from someone who is taking drawing lessons, which is not a bad thing in itself, specially if we are talking about one of the most respected painters ever, but not suitable for a full length album cover art, maybe they are trying to depict primitiveness or something like that but I don't know, I just find it laughable.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:32 pm 

frostyj66 wrote:
^oh dear.... I hope you're not one of those art snobs that thinks just because it's labelled 'art' means it's good?

It's terrible.

Do you have an objective opinion on that or subjective? I just wanted to clarify if you were going to rag on a dead artist for someone else using his art. Using some critical thinking and objective knowledge of art doesn't make one a snob, and I didn't render any judgement on the piece myself.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:58 pm 

The track had nice production but boring as fuck pace. Hope the rest of the album is not like that.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:37 pm 

Man, am I the only one who thinks Satyr's vocals sound pretty damn shitty? He's been doing the same kinda harsh bark-shout for a long while now, but I was pretty thrown when he came in on that song. Maybe they're just louder in the mix? Sounds bad.

From the way Satyr was building up this album you'd think it would sound like some brooding atmospheric masterpiece, and not just another generic black n' roll album.

frostyj66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:45 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:
frostyj66 wrote:

It's terrible.

Do you have an objective opinion on that or subjective? I just wanted to clarify if you were going to rag on a dead artist for someone else using his art. Using some critical thinking and objective knowledge of art doesn't make one a snob, and I didn't render any judgement on the piece myself.

The art is terrible. Satyr is pretentious for using it. There. Hope that clarifies it.

frostyj66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:48 pm 

blackmantram wrote:
I liked the song, the main riff is nice and catchy, the choir vocals work nicely here in my opinion. It is definitely better than anything in their latest album, not sure if I can get through 50-60 mins of similar stuff though, I guess I'll wait 'till listening to the full thing.
Also, I think the cover sucks no matter how renowned its author is. It looks like an ugly doodle from someone who is taking drawing lessons, which is not a bad thing in itself, specially if we are talking about one of the most respected painters ever, but not suitable for a full length album cover art, maybe they are trying to depict primitiveness or something like that but I don't know, I just find it laughable.

I'm guessing they didn't have enough $$ to obtain the rights to reproduce his better pieces of art... so settled on this pretty laughable 'doodle' as the coverart. I'm sure Satyr thought it was still cool and edgy though. XD

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:42 am 

New song is surprisingly good. Not in an old satyricon way, but much more interesting than anything I've bothered to listen to from volcano onwards.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:07 am 

frostyj66 wrote:

The art is terrible. Satyr is pretentious for using it. There. Hope that clarifies it.[/quote]

Cool. Thanks for your opinion, I've already forgotten it.

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:36 am 

Although I am a big fan of the band, I find this song to be a bit disappointing. I think the introduction is terribly weak (especially the part with the open/closed hi-hats, [wtf Frost ???]) and the lyrics, which are obviously self-referential to Satyr's battle with cancer, feel rushed and provisional. The mix between baritone and normal guitars is actually a nice idea; some guitar passages between the chorus are quite interesting, and the cello and Håkon Kornstad's operatic vocals definitely add some intensity/atmosphere to the track. The production is what surprised me the most with its great, natural sound. Certainly the clues predispose us towards a better album than the previous one, which contained the worst song of the band ever did ("Nekrohaven"), but again that does not say much.

I feel that Satyr in general is very good with words, but he refrains from turning them into acts. Statements such as: "I think [the new album] is really, really dark, very spiritual and filled with confidence and energy" or the most recent "[...] Black Metal has gone through an evolution, and none of us could have imagined" may be true from his own (subjective) point of view, but judging from his music, they seem quite contradictory. Of course, no one expects Satyricon to reach the qualities of their past songwriting, hopefully they can still come up with a well-written album, regardless of music genre. This first sample is simply OK.

Yes it is.

Last edited by LefterisK on Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:21 am 

Ok.. the chorus is catchy, but the song it's full of very questionable ideas. Not a strong start :(

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:18 pm 

I agree LefterisK, about the intro. Sounded hella awkward. The production on this sounds cheap as hell too. Wasn't a big fan of this one, to be honest.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:41 am 

Phil Anselmo seems to be really gay for the new Satyricon album on Instagram. I don't have Instagram, found that from the NWN-forum.

I forgot this band after Nemesis Divina. Rebel Extravaganza was really boring... might change my opinion if I heard it again, it's been some time. I was partly disappointed, because they didn't sing about Norwegian forests and mountains anymore.

Only heard bits and pieces after that. Some stuff from Volcano sounded kind of cool.

That artwork is so depressing, in a very bad way.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:02 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Colored black metal artwork?!?!? Fired! :lol:

hallowed78 wrote:

Ok, this was bad. As expected. But not TOTALLY lame.

Razakel wrote:
From the way Satyr was building up this album you'd think it would sound like some brooding atmospheric masterpiece, and not just another generic black n' roll album.

C'mon! Wake up! That's how he sells albums. Image

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:33 pm 

Satyricon are now censoring youtube comments. They unlisted and reuploaded their lyric video
(old one https://youtu.be/kcBjC7tZkd8 - new one https://youtu.be/jMEaLSizXXM)
Any critical comment on the new one is being deleted.

PazuzuZlave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:41 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Colored black metal artwork?!?!? Fired!

"Black metal"???? Equally fired!! ;)

https://katastropha.bandcamp.com
https://ragbroder.bandcamp.com

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:51 am 

The overall sound of that track was really weak. Song sounds like it is not finished and really stale on the production end. Yikes

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:35 am 

The album has now leaked and it's beyond bad.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:55 am 

Eh, its not too bad...

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:32 am 

It is apparent that Satyr struggles to prepare the ground for a classic-to-be album (famous painter's artwork, the resurrection of Moonfog, pompous press releases etc. etc.). Regardless, I find the album to be unexpectedly decent, unexpectedly black metal, and only at parts somewhat forced. I have listened to the full thing only ONCE, but the signs shown are rather positive.

4 songs range from good to very good ("Midnight Serpent", "To Your Brethren in the Dark", "Black Wings and Withering Gloom" and "Burial Rite"), without meaning that that the band is reinventing anything of course. The impression that I got is that that they used certain elements from most eras of their career into a single album. The song "Dissonant" is not great, but not bad either (the saxophone announcement had me scared, but fortunately its use is very modest and has nothing in common with Ihsahn's avant-gardisms). "Deep Calleth upon Deep" and "The Ghost of Rome" are the worst songs of the album in my opinion and the songs that prevent the album from being homogeneous -some may say that variety is a good thing but it's not done in a tasteful way as far as I am concerned. I do not know if I change my mind after multiple listens but upon my first at least I hear some effort put in (most of) the songs.

PS 1. Did Satyr listen to Paracletus from Deathspell Omega, or what?.
PS 2. "Black Wings and Withering Gloom" is the closest to the Nemesis (and back) sound they have been since those times.

Yes it is.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:49 pm 

LefterisK wrote:
I have listened to the full thing only ONCE, but the signs shown are rather positive.

Whole album, you mean? It leaked?

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:37 pm 

LefterisK wrote:
It is apparent that Satyr struggles to prepare the ground for a classic-to-be album (famous painter's artwork, the resurrection of Moonfog, pompous press releases etc. etc.). Regardless, I find the album to be unexpectedly decent, unexpectedly black metal, and only at parts somewhat forced. I have listened to the full thing only ONCE, but the signs shown are rather positive.

4 songs range from good to very good ("Midnight Serpent", "To Your Brethren in the Dark", "Black Wings and Withering Gloom" and "Burial Rite"), without meaning that that the band is reinventing anything of course. The impression that I got is that that they used certain elements from most eras of their career into a single album. The song "Dissonant" is not great, but not bad either (the saxophone announcement had me scared, but fortunately its use is very modest and has nothing in common with Ihsahn's avant-gardisms). "Deep Calleth upon Deep" and "The Ghost of Rome" are the worst songs of the album in my opinion and the songs that prevent the album from being homogeneous -some may say that variety is a good thing but it's not done in a tasteful way as far as I am concerned. I do not know if I change my mind after multiple listens but upon my first at least I hear some effort put in (most of) the songs.

PS 1. Did Satyr listen to Paracletus from Deathspell Omega, or what?.
PS 2. "Black Wings and Withering Gloom" is the closest to the Nemesis (and back) sound they have been since those times.

Dafuq! The album in general lines is pretty good! Sounds a bit like Deathspell Omega a times; To Your Brethren in the Dark has a slight Carnal Malefactor vibe, for example. The Black Wings track is easily their blackest song since Rebel, sounds a bit like melodic tremolo riffage style of Gorgoroth. Satyr has used dissonant riffing from the 90's, but now feels more effective, at least on the good tracks.

Maybe the Moonfog resurrection was justified. Further spins will reveal more. Up to this point I would say this is the album that should have been released after Rebel.

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:34 pm 

Ugly intro, decent track. Not expecting a new ND, but hope is better than the last one
Not hearsay but the will of man

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:06 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
LefterisK wrote:
I have listened to the full thing only ONCE, but the signs shown are rather positive.

Whole album, you mean? It leaked?

Not in the best quality, but yes!

Yes it is.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:09 am 

LefterisK wrote:
Not in the best quality, but yes!

I did try yesterday with no luck.
Will have another try when bored. :-D

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket