red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:09 pm 

It smells a lot like the previous album. And that is NOT a good thing
Not hearsay but the will of man

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:51 pm 

I don't know what they were aiming for there. I am still standing by my initial impression from the first single. Both seem unfinished and lifeless.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:25 pm 

I actually like this way more than the previous track.

Nagilum1984
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:23 am 

Satyricon hasn't made anything really good since 1996 and that's 21 years ago. It's quite clear that Satyrs and Frosts testosterone levels are in rapid decline. With that said, I don't think these two songs are that bad compared to all other crappy music that are being released nowadays, so I guess I'll give the album a listen, just like I have done with their previous work. But I don't think the music will work very well as background music to weight lifting and other testosteronous excersises that require aggression and focus.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:45 am 

Nagilum1984 wrote:
It's quite clear that Satyrs and Frosts testosterone levels are in rapid decline..

Well I don't know about testosterione, but the last two 1349 albums show that Frost is still very much capable of delivering some hard hitting drumming performances.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:45 am 

The main riff is really cool, but the whole song feels somehow lifeless. It's cold and mechanical, which could work if Satyricon were a gritty industrial-sounding band, but they're not. They may not be black metal anymore, but their music still builds on an atmospheric and emotional strength.

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:59 pm 

The whole album has also been uploaded on YouTube for those interested.

Yes it is.

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:51 am 

raumr wrote:
The main riff is really cool, but the whole song feels somehow lifeless. It's cold and mechanical, which could work if Satyricon were a gritty industrial-sounding band, but they're not. They may not be black metal anymore, but their music still builds on an atmospheric and emotional strength.

With Volcano, Satyr found in himself a talent for traditional songwriting (which would perhaps make him a "rock star"), culminating in Now Diabolical. He might have got overwhelmed by that discovery, because Nero already shows slight signs of routine. The lack of inspiration manifested heavily in 2013, the album still having some good moments. 2017 seems a collage of cliches that would supposedly work by bearing it all on "atmosphere" and "darkness"; unfortunately, there isn't a single memorable tune.

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:54 am 

_flow wrote:
With Volcano, Satyr found in himself a talent for traditional songwriting (which would perhaps make him a "rock star"), culminating in Now Diabolical. He might have got overwhelmed by that discovery, because Nero already shows slight signs of routine. The lack of inspiration manifested heavily in 2013, the album still having some good moments. 2017 seems a collage of cliches that would supposedly work by bearing it all on "atmosphere" and "darkness"; unfortunately, there isn't a single memorable tune.

I beg to disagree. Strongly. "Midnight Serpent", "Blood Cracks Open the Ground" and "Black Wings and Withering Gloom" alone surpass in quality (vocals aside) most of The Age of Nero and all of Satyricon with ease. They feel inspired, every part flows seamlessly, the drums are well though-out, and there seems to be certain aggression to the songs, especially compared to the toothless self-titled album in which the drums were directionless (see endless rain of double bass in certain parts of "Tro og kraft" or "Phoenix"). As for catchiness, "The Ghost of Rome" serves that purpose quite decently, although I dislike the song –maybe you should just listen to the album more carefully. Do not get me wrong, this is n o t a great album by any means, I just think its is better than the previous one, which is at least a s m a l l step in the right direction, and that's what fans should hope for and expect by a band that has ceased to be good many years ago, a decent effort. If you are waiting for an amazing release by Satyricon in 2017 I am afraid you will be disappointed no matter what they put out.

Yes it is.

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:22 am 

None of the aforementioned songs flow seamlessly to me, which is all I'd ever expect from post-Rebel Satyricon. They had that quality of writing a seamless song: take most of Now Diabolical (apart from King), a lot of Nero - Trident being the best example; they even had that on the self-titled with Nocturnal Flare. Good straight rhythm, enthralling melody, some sense of compelling emotion.
I even appreciated their "progressive" effort - Infinity on 2013. It still had a melody and alluring introspection to it.
The point with 2017 is indeed that nothing is seamless - it feels mechanical instead of organic, as the poster above has noted. "Midnight Serpent" starts promising but falls apart very quickly, as does the "Deep" single and others. Frankly, I have no desire to give the album another spin, because it leaves me depressed - and it isn't a good, safe little melancholia like on Now Diabolical. It is a more doomy mood that began with 2013, and I'm not into that kind of thing (Paradise Lost etc.)

Dooders wrote:
I don't know what they were aiming for there. I am still standing by my initial impression from the first single. Both seem unfinished and lifeless.

If the listener is as willing as to allow that this is somehow a subdued, deep, experimental record, the lyrics of demons, dragons and brethren do nothing to help.
I, too, fail to see the point; moreover, it sounds like a rehearsal (of various source passages). Unfortunately, a second and third listen do nothing to improve the experience (like they probably did with 2013) - on the contrary.
There's the lingering feeling as if Satyr heard Fripp for the first time and the entire record was made with the sole purpose to showcase some initial grasp of dissonance, the other instruments being neglected in the process.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:36 am 

Just listened to it the first time and I'm blown away. INFINITELY better than I expected. Much better than the S/T, and I liked that album. Sure, it sounds nothing like the old classics, but obviously it would be unrealistic to expect that.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:10 am 

At least the first song alone is better than the full S/T album. I have to check out the rest though.

frostyj66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:42 pm 

Just got done with my first full playthrough and it was certainly an improvement on how I remember modern Satyricon sounding. Disclosure: the last album of theirs I enjoyed and paid any proper attention to was Rebel Extravaganza (which still paled in comparison to their first three albums).

Black Wings and Withering Gloom, Burial Rite, Midnight Serpent and To Your Brethren in the Dark immediately jumped out at me as really solid offerings with tangible straight up Black Metal moments.

Overall the album seemed like a breath of fresh air considering Satyr's recent penchant for noodling around with arena rock/metal or whatever you want to call it. There are certainly still elements of rock swagger on display here but there's always an overarching black metal hook to keep things mostly on track. Those songs (Ghost of Rome, Dissonant, Blood Cracks Open the Ground) need more listens...

Pleasant suprise I'll be honest and will get repeated spins.

edit: and can I just say what a busy day it's been with this as well as new CoF and WITTR all released on the same day... they're next on my to-do list and hopefully they're just as solid.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:15 am 

This album showed up in my recommended so I figured why not give it a shot. Honestly, despite the fairly uneventful mid-paced nature of the album I was sort of getting into it. Satyricon is pretty much 'dark' rock music at this point & I'm fine with that. Will give it a couple more spins before passing judgement.

Bingewolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:17 am 

Testosterone... the San Francisco treat!

Anyway, I like this record. I think Satyricon got boring on the previous two but I like this new one a lot. For reference (if that helps), I like 'Now, Diabolical' and earlier. Not so much the later stuff. This new record is getting a lot of spins from me though!

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:41 pm 

The second one, Blood Cracks, is a really enjoyable one, but it stands alone in an otherwise predictable record not diverting from traditional songwriting and safe tropes.
Withering Gloom has a very pleasant chorus, but that tremolo...
I'm puzzled at many deeming it "black'n'roll" again; songs starting as vigorous rock dilute pretty quickly, as if he band is too tired to keep up. "Dark rock" is what it seems to be, but they should have had the guts to go full progressive dark rock. They have lost their black metal audience anyway, and still trying to keep their feet in two shoes.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:38 am 

Anyone claiming this steaming pile of dog shit is innovative, groundbreaking, or even enjoyable is a liar. I guess if you like cruddy, stale, plodding riffs that attempt to rock out but instead sound like crappy tough guy hard rock, you might like it. The drums and the rest of the music are on different pages again. Surprise, right? This is not dark and menacing and it does not have any substance. I don’t care what these PR clowns are trying to say; this is boring and insipid, even by modern Satyricon standards.

Satyricon ran out of ideas over a decade ago. This new album is just a continuation of shitty cash grabbing through name recognition. Big shocker it’s getting released through Napalm.

Seriously, I hope no actually has their hopes up for this.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:43 am 

I have to agree with TSIR. It sounds like a band that's completely clueless about creating music despite decades of experience of doing it, and all this underlining of "depth" is just pretension, and an attempt to mask the utter lack of direction, inspiration and substance.

"Calleth". :lol:

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:41 am 

TheStormIRide wrote:
crappy tough guy hard rock

Check out the tough guy around 03:18 :-D

https://vimeo.com/235513346

Posting this video for the fans of Frost. Too bad he is so mindbogglingy subservient:
"Over the years, Satyr’s composing skills have developed, deepened and matured, while I have tried to enhance my intuitive understanding of the compositions and worked to adapt accordingly. Our musical communication has also improved considerably. This has resulted in a constant evolution that still takes place, and – hopefully – a band that keeps getting better and better." (Invisible Oranges)
"There is a deeper darkness in this album than any other Satyricon album has, that is for sure." (Headbangers Lifestyle) :roll:

Ilwhyan wrote:
"Calleth". :lol:

Khaled.

Sycophant "journalists" (PR folk, really) are equally numbing: "The emotion and spirituality of Satyricon's new album Deep Calleth Upon Deep".
"A progressive, textural monster, Deep calleth upon Deep fuses Satyricon’s early complexity and obscurity with their eventual anthemic power, but reaches so much further.", and so on.

"I was in bad shape, and when I finally could speed up again, I changed my mind as to how the record should be. I had a lot of time to think and realized that the spiritual should get more space", said Wongraven. "Not necessarily in the lyrics, but through larger and more atmospheric tunes. They must have a power and dimension over them that touches the emotional life on a deeper level than just "kick ass".

That it wasn't necessarily in the lyrics, is obvious...

In the rain alone with your demons claw
Now, let your brother help if the palace falls
And the dragon dies we’ll let the mothers mourn

etc.

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:43 am 

TheStormIRide wrote:
Anyone claiming this steaming pile of dog shit is innovative, groundbreaking, or even enjoyable is a liar. I guess if you like cruddy, stale, plodding riffs that attempt to rock out but instead sound like crappy tough guy hard rock, you might like it. The drums and the rest of the music are on different pages again. Surprise, right? This is not dark and menacing and it does not have any substance. I don’t care what these PR clowns are trying to say; this is boring and insipid, even by modern Satyricon standards.

Satyricon ran out of ideas over a decade ago. This new album is just a continuation of shitty cash grabbing through name recognition. Big shocker it’s getting released through Napalm.

I don't think their lack of direction is a matter black and white (though their lack of inspiration clearly is). I consider myself a Satyricon fan, and because of that I (try to) criticize the band harder than other bands I listen to. You are right about the new album not being innovative, ground-breaking, etc. anyone who will claim otherwise needs to listen to some real dark, deep music which can tell a story and carry different feelings. But what if this was the best Satyr in his 2017 mindset had to offer? Also, does it have to be deep and challenging to be enjoyable?

I know that the very moment we start to make discounts about art is when we lose the game, and for this band many such "discounts" have been made the last ten years. At the same time we have to be realistic and not expect something that the band cannot give us. Satyr believes that Deep Calleth upon Deep is their best album to date, etc. etc. and all these PR clowns as you said are just doing their job, no conscious listener should pay attention to them. That being said, and aside Satyr's delusions of grandeur, I think that, suprisingly enough, they managed to come up with an album that at least ticks some boxes when it come to objective critique. I (think/hope) am not looking as someone who counts worthwhile moments with an eyedropper but I really believe this album features a few songs (#1, #2 and #7 in particular) that are well-written, well-played, coherent, with nice guitar textures, well-put bass lines and an underlying atmosphere. Also, the lyrics, though poorly-written try to say something.

Of course, the atmospheric part of "Midnight Serpent" has been done in "Mental Mercury", etc. etc. all fans of the band can pick such little nuances and the album also features some garbage songs but, overall, I can sense the effort put to them, and I think the band is not being pretentious when they say they put hard work in the process. Is this the kind of hard work you'd expect? Is it the kind of mindset a traditional black metal fan would expect? Surely not, but why should the band try to cater for one's expectations? It is also a matter of taste as well and I agree with you that no one should have had high hopes for it, hence why I was pleasantly surprised.

@flow: Thanks for the video link.

Yes it is.

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:34 am 

^ You're welcome!

Ilwhyan wrote:
all this underlining of "depth" is just pretension, and an attempt to mask the utter lack of direction, inspiration and substance

LefterisK wrote:
the lyrics, though poorly-written try to say something

The whole insistence on "depth" is no doubt a pretense; at the same time it's curious and perplexing.

Satyr has had a cognition of death through personal experience, which has resulted, in his approximate words, in powerful, supradimensional compositions on this new album. He'd probably like to think he's conveying the sense of depth and transcendence characteristic of the music which constitutes the very root of rock:
"I like Blind Willie Johnson's music. And just like the blues, black metal is a feeling. It's will and emotion." - Satyr
"In Satyricon we listen to some really old blues music that has religious lyrics. There's this strong dark Christian aura that hangs heavily on those artists, and we enjoy that a lot. Even if we don't like the religious aspect in itself, it somehow makes sense as a part of the totality." - Frost

Indeed, it does make sense - whether it bears on the thin line between heaven and earth, or earth and hell. The feeling of the blues is deeply existential and it translates into titles such as: "Dark was the night, cold was the ground", "Never get out of these blues alive", "You gotta move", "See that my grave is kept clean", and many others.

I'll never, I'll never, get out of these blues alive.
All my life, I've been doomed with the blues.
I'm drinkin' black coffee and smokin' cigarettes.
I'm drinkin' back coffee an smokin' cigarettes all night.
I know I'll never, I'll never come outta these blues alive.

The blues guitar, then, is known to repeat the lyrics:
“If you pay attention – what I sing, the guitar sings too, and what the guitar says, I say” - Fred McDowell

There's already great confusion in Satyr's assertion that he managed to deliver profound tunes without necessarily paying attention to lyrics. And, pardon me, but I fail to see how being shaken by the immediate realisation of mortality can translate into metaphors of dragons.

It is obvious to me that, whatever the artist's experiences (which I can't deny and wish him the best), they have manifested in nothing but strategies to market songs that are inherently tedious, insipid, and most of all timid. The boldness of RE-Satyricon is nowhere to be seen, and "let sincerity rule" is a chant infinitely distant. All I can picture, is Satyr's smug little smile, and I do have an idea what is (at least partially) behind the lack of cohesion, the aimlessness of this record, and mostly behind its outright shallowness (contrary to the assertion of depth): it's the lack of a key ingredient for art claiming to "call upon the deep" - humility.

P.S. Pentagram Burns live 2017:

Penragram Burns live 2008:

~Guest 343918
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:38 am 

I like all Satyricon albums from Nemesis Divina onward and this new one is no exception. Not a flawless album by any means; the coda of The Ghost of Rome is far from seamless, I'm not the biggest fan of the saxophone on Dissonant and Burial Rite hasn't proved itself as an album closer at least after five listens or so (switching the last two songs would probably do the trick) – but easily Top 10 of 2017 material. When speaking about directionlessness or shallowness, you guys are just weird. Take songs like Hvite Krists Død, now that is an awkwardly flowing and directionless song. Never liked the whole Shadowthrone album, to be frank. To each their own, I guess.

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:02 am 

^ Satyricon starts to me with Rebel Extravaganza; I tried listening to the previous, but since I've never been into black metal per se, I fail to even discern between the songs (well, with a little bit of exaggeration).
I somehow thought Withering Gloom was the last song on the album - correct observation and weird choice of Satyricon's. I really like the hypnotic chorus relating to Now Diabolical, but not the rest of the song which is straight out of Nemesis Divina (I suppose). Like the rest of the album, the song is a hotchpotch.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:03 pm 

LefterisK wrote:
But what if this was the best Satyr in his 2017 mindset had to offer? Also, does it have to be deep and challenging to be enjoyable?

Why bother releasing a subpar album then? Basically you're saying that it's OK for bands to just shit out whatever they feel like because, "we we're super inspired this time around." That's a load of horse shit. If you have nothing better to offer, maybe wait a little while until you are more inspired, rather than churn out third tier butt rock.

To answer the second question, Satyricon hasn't ever been deep or challenging in their history. Even their material that works well (The Shadowthrone, DMT, etc.) weren't challenging or deep. Leave depth to bands that can pull it off. Instead of shooting for being this groundbreaking exploration, how about bring a little conviction and heart to the table. Satyricon is stale and lifeless. I'll take countless Hellhammer and Venom clones any day over this.

HideYourHole
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:46 pm 

Yeah, I'm a big fan of everything up to and including Rebel Extravaganza, and I don't mind up to Age of Nero. This album came across as relatively inoffensive but doesn't have much in terms of memorable or interesting moments. Lifeless and uninspiring generally.

Skarpretteren
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:50 pm 

Today I recieved mine. When I opened it I discovered that it's the transparent vinyl. Does anyone know how many copies this version was printed in?

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=521435957999258

controlledbleeding
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:28 pm 

I haven't liked anything since RE. I didn't mind a couple of songs off Volcano and whatever the album was after that. while the new album isn't bad, I had nothing within it that would inspire a) purchase; b) another listen!

_flow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:08 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:
how about bring a little conviction and heart to the table. Satyricon is stale and lifeless.

It is just striking to compare how they sound and how they used to sound. Satyr seems to stroll the stage with his mind envisaging the pillow.
Zest, drive, spite, is everything when delivering these 4/4 songs.

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:24 pm 

Track by track breakdown by Satyr:

Yes it is.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:04 pm 

Something weird happened to me with this album. I first downloaded it from Soulseek. Then I purchased it physically and when I got home and put it in my computer I noticed that the songs were longer. Then I downloaded it again and again as with the first time the digital version was quite shorter. Has this happened with any of you? What is going on? Is the digital version like a demo version of the actual album?

D4nzig
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:05 pm 

Unity wrote:
Something weird happened to me with this album. I first downloaded it from Soulseek. Then I purchased it physically and when I got home and put it in my computer I noticed that the songs were longer. Then I downloaded it again and again as with the first time the digital version was quite shorter. Has this happened with any of you? What is going on? Is the digital version like a demo version of the actual album?

On PirateBay there is 320 bitrate Mp3 version with correct duration.

Ludorff
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:03 pm 

I have been listening to this album 4-5 times this week. I think I like it quite a lot. For me it improves on almost every aspect over their past two records (performance, composition, production). I'm surprised to read most people opinions here. Many seem to reject it after only one listen. For me it's an album that might sounds a bit weird at first. I'm no musician, so forgive me if I'm not making perfect sense, but : To me they keep their style while tweeking a bit with their usual song structure / progression. Some parts does sound a bit off at first. For exemple, bridges are sometimes placed quite early in the song. See for exemple most of the middle section of Blood Cracks. There's a succession of riffs and rhythms that might surprise because otherwise the music is still very much in their recent Black N' Roll vein. In an album like Now Diabolical, the song structure is much more straight-forward and easy to digest. Not to say that the new album is utterly complex and innovative, but just that they tried a different approach (kind of Free Jazz approach?). They also mixed in more melodic elements that wouldn't be out of place in a Dark Tranquility song (hard to digest?). It results in an album that is quite enjoyable if you like most of their previous works. Frost's playing is really good, the album sound is better than the previous two. For my part I think I will end up listening to this album many times. It's not perfect, but clearly not as bad as some were saying. Satyricon won't release any old school bombastic black metal anymore. There's tons of bands that do it anyway. But not that many that does what Satyricon do nowadays. Like it or not.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:42 pm 

Lol free jazz.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:36 pm 

Ludorff wrote:
But not that many that does what Satyricon do nowadays.

Thanks God! :-P

conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:15 am 

Ok so I finally bought the new Satyricon album. Been a fan of since the mid 90s and I must say I’ve enjoyed every album they have produced except Age of Nero; a few good songs then pretty much it goes into a blur. I loved the self titled album, a bit different but very good.
I really love their new CD, I was skeptical at first because I didn’t know where these guys could go musically anymore and keep it fresh and interesting, but this is a beast of a disc! I think they take the best elements of what they had done and instead of recycling it they improved on it. Some very good riffs all over the place. This just goes to show that older bands are just so much more relevant than newer ones who follow trends, bands like Satyricon create them and mold them, and can revisit them without it being forced or contrived.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4