Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:21 am 

I know it's generally not supposed to be the "real metalhead" opinion or whatever, but if I had to pick one At the Gates album to listen to, it would probably be Slaughter. I get why people like Red and With Fear, but they're just a bit too obtuse, inaccessible and pretentious for how I like my melodic death metal. Not to say they aren't decent albums in their own right, but Slaughter is basically just a beefed-up rock album and it functions a lot better for that. For the longest time, I tried to convince myself that the first two albums are better for "objective, artistic" reasons, but then I saw At the Gates live and the material from Slaughter held up way better than the early stuff did.

I could see how it might come as a shock to someone who had been following the band's career before 1995, but as someone who got into them long after their first breakup, it's no contest for me. Just don't go in expecting a death metal album and you'll be fine. Don't take into account all of the crappy American melo-core it influenced, either. That's a ridiculous argument.

(in theory, Terminal Spirit Disease should be perfect as it comes at a crossroads between their melodic deathrock and "high art" melodeath, but for some reason it's my least favorite AtG album, save for maybe the reunion record (which was just shameless pandering and going through the motions). I don't know how my taste works either.)

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:58 pm 

http://www.theprp.com/2017/09/11/news/g ... ext-album/

Looks like they have chosen a new guitarist and are set to start recording in November:
Quote:
We have finally decided on a new guitar player, and we are ready to rip again! Actually he was our first choice, and we are happy to have him on board. Jonas Stålhammar has been a friend since the late eighties (Tomas used to tape trade with him back then!), and our paths have crossed many times during our careers.

We were looking for someone who had the same reference points as we do, someone from the same path, so to say, who understand the greatness of both Autopsy and King Crimson. Of course it was essential that our new member could fill the shoes of Anders‘ performance-wise as well, but that was never an issue with Jonas. We were looking for someone with a deep understanding of what At The Gates are about, someone who could contribute creatively to the band.

Jonas Stålhammar will be a full member from day one, and will play on the upcoming full length album, scheduled for recording in November 2017 – January 2018.

We currently have 11 songs ready for said album, and are more inspired than perhaps ever before. You can expect a full-on At The Gates Record with all the classic elements of the band. It is by far the most comprehensive album of the band to date, and will span all the way across the different elements of the band’s sound.

We are super-excited for 2018. It will be a good year for AT THE GATES, and our fans, for sure.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:18 pm 

So, it's going to be "Surgical Steel part two", aka let's give the fans what they want. :(

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:51 pm 

I'm totally fine with that and with this. Damned if you do damned if you don't.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:55 pm 

My point wasn't to be openly critic/cynic no matter what the band does. I actually love both band's back catalogue and I've catched them both on their reunion tours, but the fact that afterwards they return with new albums and PR campaigns just to milk the brand leaves me pretty much cold. It wouldn't if the end result was to be something more than everything they had done before, even more when both bands made careers out of evolving albums and sonority. So you can understand when I say that more of the same leaves me cold, because it does.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:58 pm 

You don't know if it's more of the same. You haven't heard it yet.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:37 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:

Quote:
We currently have 11 songs ready for said album, and are more inspired than perhaps ever before. You can expect a full-on At The Gates Record with all the classic elements of the band. It is by far the most comprehensive album of the band to date, and will span all the way across the different elements of the band’s sound.

Sorry dude, but this isn't rocket science. :lol:

kytokinesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:41 pm 

I really like At War with Reality so I'm down for more AtG.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:43 pm 

Sick, this will be awesome.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:06 am 

androdion wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:

Quote:

Sorry dude, but this isn't rocket science. :lol:

Hurr hurr derr.... you still haven't heard anything so words don't mean much. Judge it when you hear it you knob.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:44 am 

I'm not expecting anything. AWWR was their Surgical Steel and will keep going in that route.

SOTS has 2 songs; Blinded by Fear and the title track. The rest of the disc is filled with variations of those songs. They worked to polish the ultimate formula of catchy metal with aggressive production they sorta did it.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:33 pm 

I thought At War With Reality was ok, had a couple of decent tracks. I have nothing against a band coming back. This is their jobs if they can make money with their band then I give them props. Hopefully this second one is a bit better. The riffs just need to be a bit better.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:51 pm 

The band are hitting the studio next week:

Quote:
Next week will see At The Gates enter the studio to begin tracking their new full-length album. The sessions will take place with guitarist Jonas Stålhammar (God Macabre/The Lurking Fear), who has replaced Anders Björler in the lineup. An update shared by the band in September revealed that eleven new songs were already completed for the album. Sessions are expected to be lengthy with the effort likely not hitting stores until at least late spring/early summer.

http://www.theprp.com/2017/11/06/news/g ... lbum-soon/

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2