Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:46 am 

Just saw someone post the album in a group I'm in on facebook, this is what he had to say about it:

"It is Nortt at his best and a fucking AMAZING album; sad, futile, no light, no hope, black as a moonless night and fucking depressive.
The album doesn't feel as "noisy" as Galgenfrist (which is an amazing album too). It feels darker, deeper and much more sad. As the horrible and inevitable end of man is coming in it's own quiet and grusome way.
The feeling of the music matches the title "Endeligt" perfectly (Danish for "Final" or when something is coming to an end, as in dead and gone)."
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

CradleOfBurzum
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:20 pm 

Z0MBIE wrote:
Just saw someone post the album in a group I'm in on facebook, this is what he had to say about it:

"It is Nortt at his best and a fucking AMAZING album; sad, futile, no light, no hope, black as a moonless night and fucking depressive.
The album doesn't feel as "noisy" as Galgenfrist (which is an amazing album too). It feels darker, deeper and much more sad. As the horrible and inevitable end of man is coming in it's own quiet and grusome way.
The feeling of the music matches the title "Endeligt" perfectly (Danish for "Final" or when something is coming to an end, as in dead and gone)."

Wow! Haven't seen any negative press yet. Looks like those ten years went to good use! Let me know what your thoughts are on the album when you listen to it for the first time or if you see any more reviews!

ThanatosUK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:42 pm 

It reminds me more of Gudsforladt than Galgenfrist which is good. I wish it was a bit longer (it's about 37 minutes) but it's more Nortt so I'm not complaining.

CradleOfBurzum
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:11 pm 

ThanatosUK wrote:
It reminds me more of Gudsforladt than Galgenfrist which is good. I wish it was a bit longer (it's about 37 minutes) but it's more Nortt so I'm not complaining.

37 minutes, really? With 9 songs, I was expecting a much longer album! Still, as long as the quality of music is good, I'll look past that.

CradleOfBurzum
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:11 am 

Full album is up on YouTube. Who knows for how long though...

CradleOfBurzum
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:51 pm 

So, with the album being officially out as of today, what do you all think of it so far? When I first listened to it, I was a little let down. But, I remembered that was the same reaction I had to Galgenfrist. I listened to Galgenfrist more and more until I eventually ended up loving it. Same thing happened here. The more I listened to it, the more I ended up enjoying Endeligt. I'm still torn if it's my favorite Nortt album. Endeligt doesn't have a song that comes close to the magnum opus of Tilforn Tid off of Ligfaerd. But, it does have a solid set of songs.

Favorite song would be Fra hæld til intet. I love the cold piano melody in the background. The weakest song would be Afdø. This was the only song on the album that really offered nothing to me in terms of value.

You can still get the album here if you haven't already - https://avantgardemusic.bandcamp.com/album/endeligt

Sang Dalang Abu
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:25 am 

Nothing special. Nortt first album is better.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:10 pm 

CradleOfBurzum wrote:
Favorite song would be Fra hæld til intet. I love the cold piano melody in the background. The weakest song would be Afdø. This was the only song on the album that really offered nothing to me in terms of value.

Agreed about Afdo, it doesn't have the same ambient structure as the other songs, and sounds more like a normal metal song played very slowly. What makes this interesting is how it is composed of the elements of a doom/black metal album while the songs are composed as though it were a drone/ambient album with the melodies slowly unfolding in bits and pieces til it gets tied up halfway through and then deconstructed again (Stov for vinden is a good example of this). It has riffs and leads and the the short song lengths prevent it from becoming boring. How often do you hear an album in a style anything like this that isn't at least 80 minutes long (and 40 minutes too long)? Quite good!

CradleOfBurzum
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:26 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
CradleOfBurzum wrote:

Agreed about Afdo, it doesn't have the same ambient structure as the other songs, and sounds more like a normal metal song played very slowly. What makes this interesting is how it is composed of the elements of a doom/black metal album while the songs are composed as though it were a drone/ambient album with the melodies slowly unfolding in bits and pieces til it gets tied up halfway through and then deconstructed again (Stov for vinden is a good example of this). It has riffs and leads and the the short song lengths prevent it from becoming boring. How often do you hear an album in a style anything like this that isn't at least 80 minutes long (and 40 minutes too long)? Quite good!

Thanks for the response. I wish a new Nortt release would cause a bigger commotion around these forums, but I guess not. As you can tell, most of the posts in this thread are from me lol.

I agree with your analysis when it comes to "Stov for Vinden". The song gets off to a slow start (figuratively speaking), but at the halfway mark, the cold piano suddenly drops in and the song immediately starts to pick up because of that.

YADF
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:50 pm 

CradleOfBurzum wrote:
So, with the album being officially out as of today, what do you all think of it so far?

I enjoyed it right off the bat. Yes, it's quite short but that has a place in my rotation. I like to listen to albums beginning to end but sometimes there's no time. If I want a small dose of Blackened Funeral Doom I have Norrt. If I want an opus I have Elysian Blaze, who I still think are the kings. I really wish more bands were doing this style. I'm starting to like FD/Death bands like Esoteric as well.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:56 pm 

Thoroughly enjoyed this album and thought the shorter song lengths actually worked amazingly well for the style. So many funeral bands could learn from this album. Nortt still innovating more or less.

CradleOfBurzum
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:22 pm 

Glad you two enjoyed it! In recent news, Nortt conducted two new interviews. Both are fun and interesting reads!

Invisible Oranges - http://www.invisibleoranges.com/nortt-e ... interview/
No Clean Singing - http://www.nocleansinging.com/2018/01/0 ... iew-nortt/

The most important question asked, in my opinion, from these two interviews was this one...

Quote:
So you’re here, Avantgarde Music just released Endeligt… What’s next? Will you stay here for awhile and record some new stuff? Or did you return just for one album?

It’s too early to say. These days I’m working on a re-recording of the song Sørgesalmen from the demo Graven, and I have some other ideas that I want to explore as well. But right now, it’s impossible to say what the end result of these endeavors will be. Maybe a new album, maybe it will never meet the public eye, or maybe I’ll record under a new band name if the music strays too far from Nortt. All of the above are possibilities. I will, however, continue to create music, that much I know.

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:09 pm 

Listened to the album.

It's Nortt.

And that's way more than enough for me. :bow:

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2