Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:48 pm 

jdagger wrote:
I think it was mention a couple times before in this thread but I am going to reiterate, Der Weg einer Freiheit's new album Finisterre is a strong case for AOTY for me. It's aggressive but yet melodic, a well balance of beauty and brutality and I love the soaring climax of the guitars in this record.

I really like this album, but I think I like the new Limbonic Art more.

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:58 pm 

A few more I've just gotten around to:

Warpath's The Ambience of War. A great little 5 track EP, with none of brutal death's failings (over reliance on pinch harmonics, pig squeals) and all of its energy. Love it.

Origin's Unparalleled Universe is solid, if not groundbreaking.

And Noumena released Myrrys back in April, but I have only recently heard it. Very moody. Quite different than what you would expect from a melodic death band.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:55 pm 

Mork are a black metal duo from Norway recently signed to Peaceville with approval from the Darkthrone fellas. Relatively clear production with a fantastic mix and straight forward old school riffs.
It is not a stretch to imagine why NC and Fenriz like this project so much, these guys could have fit right in the mid 90s bm scene, but the production and space really let the music breathe in a refreshing way. Nothing mind blowing or amazing, but solid.

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Mork/3540372524

edit: Accidentally posted this in the wrong thread, but it comes out in 8 days anyway...

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:05 pm 

^Yeah Mork sounds great... forgot about them, going to check out their previous stuff again too. Sounds like something Fenriz would like!

I haven't been keeping up with new releases the past couple months, but my BFF texted me this album and it's totes amazeballs!
https://hammerheart.bandcamp.com/album/death-supremacy

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:02 pm 

Good stuff! Naglfar worship through and through, but I'm okay with that considering we haven't heard from those guys in ages.

Riggs
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:21 pm 

Nanu nanu

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:59 pm 

Can’t stop listening to that track. It’s amazing. I went back and dug through the earlier stuff which was good but if the new track is any indication it should really put them on the map.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:51 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:
Can’t stop listening to that track. It’s amazing. I went back and dug through the earlier stuff which was good but if the new track is any indication it should really put them on the map.

At the risk of embarrassment I am going to assume you're talking about the Mork track?
If so, I could not agree more. Their older stuff is good, but nothing as memorable as that one. Only hearing about it a week or so ago I have probably listened to it over 15 times by now. Can't wait to hear the rest of the album. High hopes!

Anyone listened to the Acephalix album yet? It just came out yesterday, but goddamn is it good. 20buckspin has been killing it.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:40 am 

Dooders wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:

At the risk of embarrassment I am going to assume you're talking about the Mork track?
If so, I could not agree more. Their older stuff is good, but nothing as memorable as that one. Only hearing about it a week or so ago I have probably listened to it over 15 times by now. Can't wait to hear the rest of the album. High hopes!

Anyone listened to the Acephalix album yet? It just came out yesterday, but goddamn is it good. 20buckspin has been killing it.

Oh yeah you got it man. If the rest of the album lives up to that track it’lll be a monster of a record. Also count me in on new Acephalix!

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:00 pm 

Don't know if anyone has already posted about this, but Vulture released their debut, and it's fucking killer speed metal. Great riffs, great solos, wicked vocals with the classic speed metal shrieks. Can't stop listening.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:18 am 

A couple of brutal death albums that are yet to be mentioned.

Dissociative Healing - Dissociative Healing

Spoiler: show

Human Abasement - Annihilation of the Human Plague

Both sound pretty good, if nothing groundbreaking in their field. Slight favour to the former for having an interesting snare sound.

Dissociative Healing
Human Abasement

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:12 am 

Dissociative Healing doesn't sound too bad! I'm not necessarily a big fan of the brutal death gutturals, but the music itself reminds me a bit of Once Was Not.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:05 am 

I hate Once Was Not, so I think Dissociative Healing is way better, haha.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:09 am 

I've been taking a break from BDM lately but Gutslit - Amputheater seems pretty promising:
https://gutslitindia.bandcamp.com/album ... eath-grind
That Vulture record is awesome as well.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:19 am 

Big thanx to whoever it was (to lazy to scroll back) that mentioned that a new Vulture Industries had been released, had no idea and love them.

As far as recommendations; someone asked for a prog metal album and I think that Voyager - Ghost Mail problably is my favorite relese this year, althogh I'm not very well versed in that genre. But it is a hell of a record regardless.

Some other good releases are
Vattnet (formerly known as Vattnet Viskar) - Vattnet - pretty big change in sound, now more of a prog metal, rock band.
Lör - In Forgotten Sleep - Prog/Folk/Power mix
Low Flying Hawks – Genkaku - Doom/Stoner/Sludge with a big sound

Then there are new releases from Satyricon, Belphegor, Archspire and Paradise Lost that all are worthwhile, and more.

MasterOfSin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:21 am 

Hi,

An album that surprised me a lot, to me the best Symphonic Metal album this year, Solveig by Seven Spires...

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:25 am 

MasterOfSin wrote:
Hi,

An album that surprised me a lot, to me the best Symphonic Metal album this year, Solveig by Seven Spires...

I would like this one more if it wasn't done in such a weird way. The entire first half is just a rerecording of the previous EP and it's super obvious. The only track really worth listening to is Cabaret of Dreams until the halfway point, when suddenly they amazingly get better at writing songs and morph into Kamelot.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

MasterOfSin
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:40 am 

BastardHead wrote:
MasterOfSin wrote:
Hi,

I would like this one more if it wasn't done in such a weird way. The entire first half is just a rerecording of the previous EP and it's super obvious. The only track really worth listening to is Cabaret of Dreams until the halfway point, when suddenly they amazingly get better at writing songs and morph into Kamelot.

You have right, i didn't know the EP, the really good part is just when the ep is over, the album didn't need the incorporation of the ep. I really enjoy it.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:22 am 

After quite a few years off, Eagleheart is back with a killer album. The only thing is this vocalist sounds exactly like someone else and I just can't quite put my finger on who it is.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:53 am 

Wow, so the Lich King album from earlier this year actually kicks ass. I've always avoided these guys cause of the silliness surrounding the band. But The Omniclasm actually kicks ass for the most part.

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:17 pm 

My favorites so far:

Argus - From Fields of Fire
Bathsheba - Servus
Excommunion - Thronosis
Vinnum Sabbathi - Gravity Works
Zeal & Ardor - Devil is Fine
Antichrist - Sinful Birth

Nothing is gonna beat Bathsheba anymore this year. Argus came pretty close though. Two must-haves for any doom fan out there.

~Guest 417309
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:36 pm 

Picked up the new Craven Idol, The Shackles of Mammon. It kicks serious ass. Blacker and heavier than their last album, tons of crazy riffs and a great vocal performance. Highly recommended!

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:55 pm 

Zeal & Ardor is from early 2016. This year's version is a reissue by his new label.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:15 pm 

Here is an interesting EP that I really enjoyed

Knarkaren - ​.​.​put uninspired title here​.​.​
https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Kn ... 3540425377
https://knarkaren.bandcamp.com/releases

Really entertaining take on DSBM. Has moments where it ventures into atmospheric rock territory like Forgotten Woods, it gets wonderfully poppy and depressive like Lifelover and darkly moody like Apati. Creative guitars (clean and harsh), I would love to hear more from this project.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:25 am 

Celeste - Infidèle(s)
The new record from French sluge/post hardcore titans Celeste is out. Great album if you're into that sort of thing.

Last edited by e_ddi_e on Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:04 am 

Cannabis Corpse - Left Hand Pass

If you just can't wait for the new Cannibal Corpse album this one is up there with Cannabis' best. I'd have to say it's one of my favorite DM albums of the year. A good collection of chunky CC-like riffs.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:53 am 

This year has basically just been a long list of bands I used to love when I got into metal releasing new albums after years and years:

Excalion
Vulvagun
Pagan Altar
Nocturnal Rites
The Chasm (though I haven't heard this yet)

And Pharaoh is putting one out next year. All I need now is another Seasons of the Wolf - that may be the last thing.

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:00 am 

I wasn't impressed with Nocturnal Rites, though, it felt like a fairly pedestrian album, just... average. It had very little of that keen sense for massive hooks I remember. I wouldn't call it worthwhile.
"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:02 am 

I only spun it once but really liked it. Just a no bullshit album full of lethally mean, heavy power metal in their signature style. Very pro and everything seemed to be in its place. And they tried some new things and modernized their sound in a tasteful way. Easily their best since New Age Messiah, if not Shadowland itself for me.

Seemannsdaemlack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:08 am 

Palantír - Lost Between Dimensions
https://palantirsweden.bandcamp.com/alb ... dimensions

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:51 pm 

^I'm more intrigued by the art and the band camp colour scheme than by the sound of the music... But I'll still check it out since they name dropped falconer.

Finally checked out Adveniens by Hideous Divinity. This album fucking rules! So loud and ridiculously punishing and in your face. This is my Krigshu of 2017.

Wombface
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:55 am 

In the absence of a great release by Forgotten Tomb this year, Waiting For My End comes in for the save with a masterclass of depressive black metal. This one will end up in my top 5 for sure.

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:09 am 

With The Dead released a new one called "Love from With The Dead" - what a slab of doom. Lee Dorrian on vocals, Tim Bagshaw (ex-Electric Wizard) on guitars, and it crushes. The guitar tone is MASSIVE and they do a good job of making things interesting. It's a tad overlong, but for your fix of really heavy stoner/doom, you could do much, much worse IMO.

"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:25 am 

Anyone heard the debut of these folks? More blackened death darkness. I guess we're going back to the days where death metal and black metal were just tags journalists gave to bands...
Anyway, sounds legit to me, strong production values for a debut as well.

https://caligarirecords.bandcamp.com/al ... ual-miasma

Smitty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:20 pm 

Primal Attack - Heartless Oppressor
I find 95% of thrash to be the same old monotonous gallop that I've heard thousands of times before and a poor attempt at variations of the main riff of Trapped Under Ice. So it has to stand out to impress me. This album does. Much heavier than regular thrash because of a slight groove influence. Very catchy tunes.

pfk505
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:30 am 

The new Drowning the Light is, as usual, extremely worthwhile. Azgorh continues to incorporate many dungeon synth elements into the music and it works magnificently. One of the most talented and genuine black metal acts whose body of work speaks for itself.

e_ddi_e
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:38 am 

Hybrid Nightmares – Almagest

Apparently this is progressive black metal.
I'm thinking that this is what it would sound like if late era Coroner would play black/death metal.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:11 am 

I'm going to check this as soon as I get the time. Everything about it looks & sounds good so far.
The new Black Dahlia is unsurprisingly exceptional. Cradle of Filth surprised me with their newfound vigour, lots of tempo changes & ambitious songwriting, vocal theatrics, welcome thrash breaks etc., give it a shot.

Other releases that caught my ear:
Arallu - Six: Middle Eastern black/death comparable to Melechesh, Narjahanam etc.
Dawn Ray'd - The Unlawful Assembly: Black metal with a rebellious/anarchist/rabble rousing theme to it.
Evil Invaders - Feed Me Violence: Chaotic, frenzied speed metal assault

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:31 am 

I second Evil Invaders, it's a fun record. I found some good ones in the last few days:

DVNE - Asheran -> Mastodon-styled progressive metal with really good sense of songwriting and more punch than the band itself has had, lately. Better than Emperor of Sand - which was a good record still.
Grave Pleasures - Motherblood -> The band that is not Beastmilk, but is really close. High octane, super-energetic post-punk. Striking lyrics, too.
Haemorrhage - We Are The Gore -> No gimmicks, well-written, well-produced goregrind. These folks don't disappoint.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:23 pm 

I'm nearly a year late to the party that is Horn - Turm Am Hang but I will never ignore all the rage of something that sounds "folky" again. This is the most glorious thing ever.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next