Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:27 pm 

glad a couple of people are interested in the album, the album is going to take a very long time for me to be able to digest however i am extremely impressed so far, i hate to compare it to portal because they are always compared to portal but i have a feeling we have a Swarth on our hands(for me one of the best albums of all time) i need to listen more before i make that judgement though

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:12 am 

Wargus wrote:
Slagmaur - Thill Smitts Terror

Most threathening atmosphere I've heard in black metal since I first heard Darkspace. Serious AOTY contender for me.

https://osmoseproductions.bandcamp.com/album/thill-smitts-terror

To be honest I was expecting something similar to Darkspace, so I was initially disappointed. I can understand how you came up with the "threatening" atmosphere, but this needs some time to grow. I like what I hear, but I was expecting more ferocity.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Wargus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:45 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
To be honest I was expecting something similar to Darkspace, so I was initially disappointed. I can understand how you came up with the "threatening" atmosphere, but this needs some time to grow. I like what I hear, but I was expecting more ferocity.

It's not similar to Darkspace, I used it to point out that to me it was a long time ago since I've heard such threathening atmosphere. Slagmaur can be more compared to early Satyricon (Dark Medieval Times era) with an almost industrial, thick wall of sound to it.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:48 am 

Wargus wrote:
Slagmaur - Thill Smitts Terror
Most threathening atmosphere I've heard in black metal since I first heard Darkspace. Serious AOTY contender for me.
https://osmoseproductions.bandcamp.com/album/thill-smitts-terror

"Bestemor Sang Djevelord" Wow, what a fucking track that one is. That song was just about enough to sell me on the album. Absolutely loving the guitar tone on this as well. Good stuff.

Nahsil wrote:
Dunno if it's been mentioned but Jordablod's Upon My Cremation Pyre is one of the best extreme metal albums I've heard this year. Great black/death with effective experimentation a la Tribulation (who I'm not a massive fan of tbh but Jordablod do it well, with a solid song structure and riffing foundation).

It's been mentioned a few times in this thread, and is deserving of all the praise it's getting. Certainly worthwhile and a very very solid debut full-length.

Beer Baron wrote:
Farsot - Fail·Lure
Farsot has been around for a long time, but they only have a handful of releases. On the positive side, every album they've released(including this) is very good progressive black metal. The songs are very well composed and never get repetitive despite their length. Love it.

Anyone else digging this album? I was really looking forward to it being a fan of IIII and Insects. It really kind of went in one ear and out the other for my first couple of listens, but it's starting to grow on me. Something about it keeps me coming back....

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:23 am 

ThePoop wrote:
Beer Baron wrote:
Farsot - Fail·Lure
Farsot has been around for a long time, but they only have a handful of releases. On the positive side, every album they've released(including this) is very good progressive black metal. The songs are very well composed and never get repetitive despite their length. Love it.

Anyone else digging this album? I was really looking forward to it being a fan of IIII and Insects. It really kind of went in one ear and out the other for my first couple of listens, but it's starting to grow on me. Something about it keeps me coming back....

Oh shit, they released a new album?! I've waited for years. IIII is one of my favorite albums ever and Insects was really good, too. Have to hear the new one.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:46 pm 

Aetheric - Serpents Beneath the Shrine

Melodeath with slight tech flourishes
https://aethericmn.bandcamp.com/album/s ... the-shrine

Gothic metal in the vein of Moonspell, Paradise Lost. Not my thing at all but I think some you here might want to give it a shot.
https://mirroredinsecrecy.bandcamp.com/ ... tion-album

Spoiler: show

Trippy prog black metal with awesome bass work, sounds pretty unique to me.
https://i-voidhangerrecords.bandcamp.co ... h-of-the-i

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:37 pm 

The new Duskmourn, Of Shadow and Flame, came out on Friday, and it has far exceeded the expectations that I had for it. It's something along the lines of a mix between Moonsorrow, Falkenbach, and Melodic DM. Duskmourn are able to wear their influences on their sleeve while still retaining a unique quality about their music. There are a few more Black Metal elements to this album than the last, and it's a good progress in sound. Everything from the compositions, the instrumentation, the production, the lyrics/vocals, and the album art is top notch. While each and every song is unique and stands on its own, Of Shadow and Flame is the kind of album that once you start, you want to listen to in entirety. Highly recommended for anyone who likes Epic/Folk/Viking Metal or soaring melodies.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:05 pm 

IamDBR wrote:
In Human Form - Opening of the Eye by the Death of the I

Trippy prog black metal with awesome bass work, sounds pretty unique to me.
https://i-voidhangerrecords.bandcamp.co ... h-of-the-i

Listened to about 5 minutes of this. It's not bad but I need to give it a proper go later on. Cheers. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:06 pm 

Igorrr - Savage Sinusoid | Metal Blade

ADHD riddled avant-garde 'metal' with baroque, breakcore and other random shit, yeah it's something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBakgOHKI-g
https://igorrr.bandcamp.com/album/savage-sinusoid

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:22 pm 

I wanna give a shoutout to Demonic Resurrection's Dashavatar. Really solid, proggy, melodic death.

This release really impressed me.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:16 pm 

Sorry if someone has already mentioned this, but I'm currently listening to Nargaroth's "Era Of Threnody" and it's probably the best album I've heard this year.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:35 pm 

^I can't get over the vocals for some reason, everything else is really solid.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:53 pm 

IamDBR wrote:

ADHD riddled avant-garde 'metal' with baroque, breakcore and other random shit, yeah it's something.

Igorrr are constantly weird, and this one looks to be no different. I have some of the previous albums but they're not for easy listening, haha. I'm on the fence as to whether to buy this, so I might wait and see if it grows. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:41 pm 

Sasquatch are back with a new album.Sounds like a sum of its influences and for once, in a great way as mentioned in the youtube description:

"Maneuvers is the newest full length album from the mammoth known as Sasquatch. Drawing on influences from 70's metal, rock, and psychedelia, Sasquatch falls somewhere between an amalgamation of Black Sabbath, old Soundgarden, Deliverance-era Corrosion of Conformity, Mountain, and a bastardized version of Grand Funk Railroad. "

Closest to Chris Cornell I have ever heard.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:20 am 

Man I am having trouble getting into that Igorrr album. I want to like it - I like parts of it - it's almost like I enjoy every other 20 seconds of the album.

But man I am having a fun night listening to the new Forefather. These guys are absolute riff masters. This is a nice little EP.

FunkyBurlin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:36 am 

Dooders wrote:
Sasquatch are back with a new album.Sounds like a sum of its influences and for once, in a great way as mentioned in the youtube description:

"Maneuvers is the newest full length album from the mammoth known as Sasquatch. Drawing on influences from 70's metal, rock, and psychedelia, Sasquatch falls somewhere between an amalgamation of Black Sabbath, old Soundgarden, Deliverance-era Corrosion of Conformity, Mountain, and a bastardized version of Grand Funk Railroad. "

Closest to Chris Cornell I have ever heard.

Hell yeah, I'm really digging this!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:04 am 

Wulkanaz is great, like a mix between Arckanum and Misantropical Painforest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvmjoK_-kFo
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:22 pm 

Essence of Datum - Nevermore

I liked the last one and I'm sure this one will be even better, or at least on par. Instrumental melodic/prog/death metal is the best and most superfluous description. :D

ZarathustraHead wrote:

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:17 am 

I know it's been out for awhile but I'm loving the Condor album. Lovely Norwegian black/thrash.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:49 pm 

The new Dying Fetus album slams hard, great balance of crushing groove and seamless technicality. It makes me want to smash shit like good bdm should.

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:10 am 

Listening to the new Antichrist album. Pretty hyped!

This is the Swedish Antichrist that released Forbidden World, a real thrash gem.

Edit: Damn, the new album is sounding crazy good..

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:31 am 

This Duskmourn album came out of nowhere. They really hit it out of the park here. What amazing melodies. Definitely my top 5 so far this year.

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:12 pm 

IamDBR wrote:

ok, thanks, that was great! listened to the older ones as well now but this is the most metal and this is really something I dig.
Reminded me a bit to a blend of Estradasphere - A Palace of Mirrors and The Flasbulb - Arboreal

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:24 pm 

Ars Magna Umbrae - Through Lunar Gateways (EP)

This maybe my favorite of the year so far. Fits in nicely with that dissonant, and chaotic black metal style of bands like Ulcerate.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:46 pm 

Fucked up my pc once again so no more detailed and illustrated posts from me for a while!

Akatharta - Spiritus Immundus
Kam Lee's funeral/ death doom project, suffocating stuff

Eaten - s/t
Raw murky deathgrind, absolutely monstrous, probably my favorite grind release this year

Selcouth - Heart is the Star of Chaos
More avantgarde metal, not as exciting and batshit insane as Igorrr but still pretty interesting

Infinity - Hybris
Accessible mid-paced black metal with nice melodic tangents

Below - Upon a Pale Horse
Melodic doom with epic vocals, sounds a bit like Tad Morose

TheWaltzer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:18 am 

Madrost - The Essence of Time Matches No Flesh

Drops today. Some cool technical thrash with a bit of a death (... actually, Death) influence, definitely a good album, especially in terms of riffs and songwriting. Love the wide array of riffs they use, and their ability to keep going with a riffset for just the right amount of time.

"Of Terror and the Supernatural by Temple of Void is miles ahead of It's midnight in Neverland and I can't get my dick out of this unicorn; Volume 8 by Nightwish in both the amount of heaviness and lack of keyboards."

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:39 am 

Goatvermin - Detruire

Debut album from this French horde. Bestial black/death metal, which can be called war metal if you like that label. Along the lines of Bestial Raids, and Blasphemy. Really impressive.

SirAngry95
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:27 pm 

Anthem's Engraved
killer album from this classic old school Japanese Heavy Metal band. i don't get why this is that modern sounding. Iron Maiden's new shit is modern but that get's passes?. nah. highly recommended listen.

Duel's Witchbanger
killer fucking Heavy Traditional Doom Metal that has a huge pare of grapefruit sized balls and is much more heavier than the band's debut which was also pretty good Heavy 70's style Hard Rock.

Antichrist's Sinful Birth
just like their 2011 debut full length album Forbidden World. this album is drenched in sick compositions and riffs. one of the top Thrash albums of this year in my eyes. highly recommended.

Blood Feast's The Future State of Wicked
i don't get why there is so much lukewarm responses towards this album. i think this is a killer album. what i wanted to hear from this criminally overlooked Thrash band.

Striker's Striker
even this one i don't get why people are giving this lukewarm responses. it's another killer Metal album from a band who is marking their own path. great album. really don't give a shit if it's only a bit over 30 minutes. it does what it has to do.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:01 pm 

SirAngry95 wrote:
Striker's Striker
even this one i don't get why people are giving this lukewarm responses. it's another killer Metal album from a band who is marking their own path. great album. really don't give a shit if it's only a bit over 30 minutes. it does what it has to do.

I think the reason it's getting lukewarm responses is because it doesn't have many memorable songs. The single was fun, but the rest kind of all blends together. It's just odd that they decided to release an album so quickly after the last one and it sounds like they kind of just threw some songs together.

Dooders
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:58 am 

MikeyC wrote:
Essence of Datum - Nevermore
g]

I liked the last one and I'm sure this one will be even better, or at least on par. Instrumental melodic/prog/death metal is the best and most superfluous description. :D

You made my day with this one. Loved the debut and had it in constant rotation for awhile. One of the best instrumental bands out there for sure.

SirAngry95
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:10 am 

ObservationSlave wrote:
SirAngry95 wrote:
Striker's Striker

I think the reason it's getting lukewarm responses is because it doesn't have many memorable songs. The single was fun, but the rest kind of all blends together. It's just odd that they decided to release an album so quickly after the last one and it sounds like they kind of just threw some songs together.

i guess i'm the only one that likes it then. lol.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:24 am 

Yeah it's just a bizarre release. Super soon after an awesome album, but shorter and less interesting with no memorable moments. Plus they barely promoted it and didn't even bother putting it on Bandcamp even though it's self-released?? Even if it was incredible it's just a very bizarre way for a band with a solid fan base to put out a record.

SirAngry95
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:38 am 

well i don't remember there being that much promotion towards their last album. hell. that album was also self released (in a way) and was not even added to bandcamp as well cause the band does not even have a Bandcamp page to begin with. what a weird way to go after a band. lmao.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:05 am 

SirAngry95 wrote:
Antichrist's Sinful Birth
just like their 2011 debut full length album Forbidden World. this album is drenched in sick compositions and riffs. one of the top Thrash albums of this year in my eyes. highly recommended.

Goddamn, you made my day. I'm off to check this out rightaway!

I chanced by Time Lurker, a one man black metal project of sorts. He's released his full length debut it's quite lovely atmospheric black metal. I love the spacey soundscapes - simple yet evocative. I'm on my second consecutive listen already.

It's streaming on bandcamp. https://timelurker.bandcamp.com/album/time-lurker

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:07 am 

The new Origin is incredible. I only just finished my first listen

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:29 pm 

Skelethal - Of the Depths
20 min of crunchy Swedeath with tasty slow sections

Aborted - Bathos
Another banger from these guys, one of my favorite 'modern' dm bands.

Bison - You Are Not The Ocean, You Are the Patient
Stoner/sludge/post metal with an experimental vibe

Les Chants Du Hasard - s/t
Black metal 'influenced' classical(?), not metal strictly speaking but it's got that sinister/melancholic vibe to it.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:03 am 

Ungraved Apparition - Pulse_0

Pretty cool Russian doom/dark/death metal with plenty of interludes that will annoy some people, but I quite like the sound of this. Plenty of acoustic sections and melody which will please the melodic enthusiast.

YouTube

--------

Disembowel - Act of Invocation Resiisue

This EP originally came out in 2014, but has been reissued this year. Sounds pretty good. Blackened death metal. Sounds a little bit like Sadistic Intent.

YouTube

------

Disorder - Fuego Negro

Thrash metal from El Salvador. Vocals are quite raspy, but the music itself will satiate any thrash fan with some cool riffs. The drumming is a little samey even for thrash, but it's still pretty bangin'

YouTube

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:27 pm 

Shout out to MikeyC. Have you listened to Kalopsia's Angelplague? This seems to be the kind of technical brutal death metal you like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNnCkhFZGPM

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:27 pm 

^Should have given this record a second chance, really solid stuff.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:53 pm 

That Kalopsia album sounded nice. Thanks, Wily. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 25  Next