Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
thrashfan07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:43 pm 

So I randomly stumbled upon this song on Youtube because the artwork caught my eye and it sounds pretty sick!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9y-N8t8dII

I've become a bit out of touch with modern death metal with it so often focusing more on old school, "caverncore" aesthetic but this songs captures the feel of those songs while feeling fresh and original. I'll keep my eye out for the full release.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:18 pm 

Yep, killer stuff. Markov showed me the song last week and it's by far the best thing he ever did. His most original project yet and the drumming of Shawn of Death Fortress is unbelievable.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:35 pm 

Markov never seems to go away, haha. My review of Eternium is way out of date because my opinion of it fell off HARD after a month or so, and I could never get into Aureole at all (though I'm in the minority who thinks Slow is pretty rad). I know he's the kind of guy who always has a "vision" that he refuses to compromise on and that's why he keeps forming one man bands and changed Eternium's name after he went from one man to full band to back to one man again, and it's always sorta driven me mad because he's super good at some things (like he's great at crafting melodies) but struggles with everything else, so some other heads to bounce ideas off of would really help. I'm giving this a listen now and yeah, I've got to agree this is the best thing he's come up with yet. If he's got Eldridge drumming for this album, that's a HUGE boon to it, because he's extremely good and it shows. It sounds much more well written and professional than Eternium ever was. No fucking laughing parts, that's for sure.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:37 pm 

Holy shit. Very good, this Markov knows what he's doing.

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:28 pm 

As far as I know, Magnus from Svartidaudi tracked the drumming for this and Eldridge is just the band's live drummer...I think? Either way, the drumming is beastly and this is definitely the best Markov's riffs have sounded, with a fairly balanced production job to boot! Looking forward to the rest of it. Been following his projects since Eternium and the progression has been gradual but noticeable over the years.

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:58 pm 

Up to this point his projects ranged from quite bad to reasonably good, but this is the first thing I've heard from him that's flat out amazing. First thing, the drumming makes a colossal difference and is insane here. The vocals are cavernous as fuck, and the riffs suffocation dissonance. I love how there's some doomy riffs and Ruins of Beverast style weirdness. I believe this was recorded in Iceland, and this does remind me quite a bit of the Icelandic metal scene. Also, the cover art is absolutely fucking nuts.This will definitely make up for the latest Aureole album.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:21 am 

RapeTheDead wrote:
As far as I know, Magnus from Svartidaudi tracked the drumming for this and Eldridge is just the band's live drummer...I think? Either way, the drumming is beastly and this is definitely the best Markov's riffs have sounded, with a fairly balanced production job to boot! Looking forward to the rest of it. Been following his projects since Eternium and the progression has been gradual but noticeable over the years.

Ah yeah, got confused for a minute. The drumming rocks anyhow!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:26 pm 

Right up my alley. Thanks for sharing!

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:29 pm 

Thanks guys. The response has been a bit overwhelming. To answer a question, I'm very blessed to be working with Shawn (Death Fortress, Disma) on drums, and Val (Aevangelist, Voidrooted) on bass and saxophone on the next album.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:23 pm 

There are some nice parts and great drumming... but is this not just a song that takes 12 minutes to do very little. I guess if you loved The Ruins of Beverast then this is brilliant. :P

thrashfan07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:09 pm 

Official release date is July 27th through I, Voidhanger Records. Tracklisting is here:

1. I: The Vomiting Tchornobog (Slithering Gods Of Cognitive Dissonance) (20:09)
2. II: Hallucinatory Black Breath Of Possession (Mountain-Eye Amalgamation) (12:33)
3. III: Non-Existence's Warmth (Infinite Natality Psychosis) (14:28)
4. IIII: Here, At The Disposition Of Time (Inverting A Solar Giant) (17:48)

Them track lengths tho...

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:25 pm 

Time to play "Guess if the Songwriter Masturbates to The Ruins of Beverast"!
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:36 pm 

holy shit that song rules so hard. can't wait for the album

thrashfan07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:44 pm 

BastardHead wrote:

Considering how much I love TRoB, I don't blame him!

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:06 pm 

Fingers crossed for the 27th.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:41 am 

I'm not going to listen to this too much before release, but colour me very interested! I'm definitely looking forward to the release.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:07 am 

BastardHead wrote:

Far from being a bad thing tho

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:12 am 

As if Beverast was the only band writing 15-20 minute long songs in black metal, in any case.

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:28 pm 

why are the track numbers always included in the actual track titles? Why does every song title always have a sub-title in brackets? These are the questions I will never have answered...

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:33 pm 

So this is out now, you can hear the whole album on his bandcamp page

https://markovsoroka.bandcamp.com/

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:36 pm 

RapeTheDead wrote:
why are the track numbers always included in the actual track titles? Why does every song title always have a sub-title in brackets? These are the questions I will never have answered...

These can all be easily answered with a single word: pretension.

I have to say this is the first Markov album that really captured my attention. I'm a big TRoB fan, and this seems to be the primary influence. Overall this is a great mix of black and doom with a little death metal thrown in. Wasn't a huge fan of the post-rock on the third song, but the guest sax saved it. I think I liked the first song the most, so colossally doomy.

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:39 pm 

I didn't notice this thread yesterday when I mentioned the album. But it is some serious ass stuff for sure. It's personally jumped up to the current AOTY spot dethroning Jordablod. Something more original and ambitious. Really quality work

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:53 pm 

dystopia4 wrote:
RapeTheDead wrote:

These can all be easily answered with a single word: pretension.

Clearly after 8 years of work, an emphasis on concept and writing, a commissioning of 5 artists to expand on said concepts and a bankruptcy later, I have achieved my one true goal with this album: Pretension! I can die fulfilled now.

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:08 pm 

^ "IDS TEW MANY THAT WORDS OF I DOONT KNOW MEANING.. :( "

Love this project, krushing unique songs and top notch lyrics. Truly a pleasure to read & listen to, the amount of time spent shines through.

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:39 am 

"I have achieved my one true goal with this album: Pretension! I can die fulfilled now."

Congratulations! That's a dream come true right there.

I had no idea you were also the man behind Aureole and Slow. Really enjoy both those bands so will definitely check this out on those name drops alone. Also the comparisons I've read to Abyssal and The Ruins of Beverast have me maximum hyped for this to the point I've been putting off listening since I've hyped it up too much.

thrashfan07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:00 pm 

This album is a behemoth. The fact that TRoB is one of my top 5 favorite bands of all time, and that I love the newest Abyssal album, is prettying telling that I would enjoy this album, but I also don't think it's fair to say this album is just like those bands. All of the influences of this project - the aforementioned bands, unconventional bands like Deathspell Omega, even some surprising influences like post-rock - coalesce into a very unique beast of an album. Hats off to you, Markov! I've only given one full listen to the album, methinks I will hold off until I get my hands on a physical copy before I give it another spin.

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:12 pm 

Vinyl should be out via Fallen Empire somewhere in September. CDs can be ordered as of today through Voidhanger here: https://i-voidhangerrecords.bandcamp.co ... tchornobog

theagentcoma
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:31 pm 

Album is soul crushing, love it.

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:34 am 

It does have strong Beverast vibes, but the more I listen to this album, the more amazingly it all unfolds, and in terms of 2017 releases I'm saying Tchornobog has em beat. I really like Exuvia too, probably more than Blood Vaults. But the Tchornobog album is just so magical, true to its influences but still something totally on its own level. I think I'm gonna be an admirer of this one for years to come.

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:47 am 

An absolute monster of an album - one of the best of the year I reckon.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:26 am 

congrats on the pitchfork mention, bruh.

album is pretty damn good.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:09 am 

Hey Markov man it's a pretty good ol' preview track. Gotta admit I think the track titles are beyond retarded but that didn't stop me from thoroughly enjoying gods of cognitive dissonance. I'll give the whole album a spin tomorrow, but definitely impressed, about a million times better than aureole, 1000x better than slow and about 10^99 better than Eternium, Good shit

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Warlord Wossman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:24 pm 

The mix of black/death/doom I wanted. Sounds great - like it more than tRoB already since everybody is comparing it.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:01 am 

This place is amazing. When lyrics or cover art aren't the focus, it's the presence of track numbers in titles that are considered "pretentious" and "beyond retarded". Anything to puke negative shit on every metal band and album. Which I guess is the thing to do generally as well, in this quick-commenting-on-everything type of online age we live in.

Anyway, the metal on this album seems great.

caspian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:40 am 

Haha, Dembo man.. could you have sounded anymore lame? I know Markov and have happily reviewed Aureole, and I give new shit good reviews on MA all the time. I said in the same post (3 times, in fact!) that I really liked the track!

Anyway, nice job trying to play the bigger man and trying to prove how you're better than everyone else. Not entirely sure why you'd bother.. beyond being way up your own arse. Anyway.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:48 am 

Yeah, you managed to make it sound completely backhanded.

caspian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:51 am 

Perhaps it's an australian thing or something but I felt that was a decent enough compliment. Some kinda cultural thing where you've got be all "that's good mate but you're still gay!! haha!!!". But yeah "thoroughly enjoyed gods of cognitive dissonance"/ "very impressed"/ "good shit"/"pretty good ol preview track", I feel that's pretty positive, if not particularly illuminating or intelligent...

Anyway, I doubt Markov is crying about my withering assessment of tchornobog. At least we all got a slightly higher post count from this illuminating conversation?

ratrace
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:19 am 

Bunch of old ladies with too much spare time at their disposal...

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:23 pm 

it should probably also be pointed out (or at least emphasized) that a few of us here know Markov pretty well and have been following his projects for a while. I got Stream From the Heavens and the first Celestia album in trades with Markov like 4 or 5 years back. A few MA regulars have met Markov IRL. Not trying to make it seem like I have super-cool connections or something, but I think it explains why there's some casual ribbing going on.

Seriously, though, I don't understand why Tchornobog doesn't break up the 15-20 minute behemoths of songs (I feel like there's enough contrast between the death/black and the doomy parts that you could divide them without disrupting the flow) and just break up the songs titles accordingly. For example, the opening section could just be a track called "The Vomiting Tchornobog" and then the long doomy part afterward could be called "Slithering Gods of Cognitive Dissonance". it would just make a little bit more sense to me, I guess. It doesn't impact the music too greatly, but most of the songs feel like three songs stapled together. This is like a solid 8/10 album for me at this point, but the track ordering and titling honestly holds it back from breaking into that 9/10 echelon.

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:14 pm 

I made it pretty clear that the negative shit in question was "pretentious" and "beyond retarded". Never said positive stuff wasn't said by the same people. And it's an established thing in this day and age, to always find something to shit on, no matter how irrelevant, like the writing of track numbers in titles...

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next