Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Poopman25
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:06 pm 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
Really? I'll have to check that out. Is that a new band?

Yes! They formed back in '84 and theyre still active but they have not done much. A few demo's, one full album, one EP. The archives say they are still active! They are Thrash and probably underrated. :headbang: One way to find out.

Black Diamond
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:55 am 

Quote:
Sepultura - Schizophrenia

While Sepultura is one of the most famous thrash metal bands, nearly all of the love for their thrash era seems to go towards Beneath the Remains (to be honest, it's one of my top five albums of all time, it's flawless!) and/or Arise (which is also fantastic). Schizophrenia seems to be lost in the shuffle.

I don't know about anyone else, but I often gravitate toward Beneath the Remains and Arise at the expense of Schizophrenia without even thinking about it since they are two of my favorite albums in all of metal. However, on the odd occasions when I listen to Schizophrenia, I remember all over again that it's a fantastic album just like the two immediately after it are. Now that I'm digging "From the Past Comes the Storms" like I am, maybe this time around I'll finally make a point to keep Schizophrenia in the rotation.

Quote:
Testament - Souls of Black

A lot of the fans seem to ignore it, and the band themselves claim they don't like it, but I think it's great. One of their best albums.

I can't say I'm familiar with Testament's stance on Souls, but that album indeed does not seem to be revered--or noticed--as much as Practice or Legacy among the band's more thrash-oriented works. While I don't see Souls as a consistently killer album like I do Legacy, I recognize how amazing songs like "Face in the Sky" and the title track are.

cvac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:50 pm 

Liquid_Braino wrote:
cvac wrote:
Great album, but I consider that hardcore punk, not thrash metal. In fact, it sounds less metal to me than something like COC's Animosity, which is firmly in the crossover realm, but also hardcore punk to me. Same thing with something like Raw Power's Screams from the Gutter. Not to say some thrash metal fans wouldn't enjoy these albums, but they should know what they are getting into.

I don't know, maybe so, but compared to the sloppy awesome chaos of The Return of Martha Splatterhead, MFTAOCF seems quite refined and even a bit polished musically with a lot more palm-muted thrashing riffs than its predecessor. To me it's really Blaine's vocal lunacy that really brings the hardcore vibe for me, but yeah there's still some punk to their sound on this album I suppose.

I listened to this album today after not putting it on in awhile. Yeah, there are some metal riffs there. Still quite unhinged and punk, maybe that's down to the vocals and the general vibe of the band. I could see some fans of rawer thrash getting into it for sure. But, if someone hates punk and hardcore, I think they will have a hard time with it.

Quote:

COC's Animosity is a pretty interesting release too, with side A leaning more towards thrash and side B more hardcore influenced (outside of that lumbering monster of a title track). You can hear the Slayer influence on "Loss For Words" but not so much on "Intervention". Raw Power's Screams From the Gutter was definitely more on the hardcore side of things except for those melodic guitar solos, but their next one, After Your Brain, had a more level crossover sound to me.

Yeah, the two sides of Animosity do sound different. RE: After Your Brain, definitely more metallic IIRC but I never thought it was anywhere near as good as SFTG.

Another band in a similar realm to all this stuff is Attitude Adjustment. Taang Records did a CD with three of their albums compiled. I just put that on after not having played it in some time.

See here:

https://www.discogs.com/Attitude-Adjust ... se/3325099

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:22 pm 

I have to agree with those that mentioned War Without End by Warbringer. Yeah, it's not the best thrash album in the world, but it sure as hell is aggressive as fuck. Great for working out.

Also, I completely forgot Better Off Dead. Funny enough, I don't hear that much NWOBHM influence, and my least favourite songs are the Tank and Thin Lizzy covers. Otherwise, it's totally awesome.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:54 pm 

Just for the record, the Thin Lizzy cover is a bonus track, and they are not NWOBHM.

LNiggaSauvage
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:02 pm 

Testaments 90s albums. Low, The Gathering, First Strike

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:12 pm 

Have you guys heard Operation: Genesis by Euphoria ?
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Euphoria/3540411937

Piercing banshee screeches, aggressive yet melodic riffage, varied drumming, awesome songwriting & a sci-fi aesthetic. One of the best thrash releases this year without a doubt. Ridiculously awesome debut effort.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTWWCSSklNk

Poopman25
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:23 pm 

IamDBR wrote:

Piercing banshee screeches, aggressive yet melodic riffage, varied drumming, awesome songwriting & a sci-fi aesthetic. One of the best thrash releases this year without a doubt. Ridiculously awesome debut effort.

Agreed. Ive listened to it quite a few times already. Someone reccomended this to me in the Thrash help thread. I can hear some Slayer influence, especially in The Andromeda Effect. Anyways, good stuff. :-D

Last edited by Poopman25 on Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cvac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:34 am 

IamDBR wrote:

First couple tracks sounded pretty good. Does anyone know if the CD is a real pressed CD or some kind of CD-R?

CCSaint10
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:18 pm 

For the record that's a terrible upload of the album, whoever did it. It sounds far better than that in actuality.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:28 pm 

CCSaint10 wrote:
For the record that's a terrible upload of the album, whoever did it. It sounds far better than that in actuality.

Yeah, you're right but the fucking thing is nowhere to be found on yt.

Edit: Sounds better on the bandcamp page & yes, I listened to it again :headbang:
https://euphoriadetroit.bandcamp.com/releases

Poopman25
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:12 pm 

Gothic Slam's album, Killer Instinct! An interesting name, eh? Dont let that fool you. Best part of this album are the riffs if you ask me. These guys had a very straightforward heavy approach with somewhat shrieky vocals. You can hear the punk influence but its not over the top. I wouldnt say its a masterpiece but they definitely are underrated.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:33 pm 

one underrated (at least on here) german thrash classic I almost completely forgot about is violent force's malevolent assault of tomorrow. relentless, simply classic ruhrpott thrash metal from 1987. way overdue for a rerelease, too.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:06 pm 

Forbidden - Twisted Into Form

Forbidden Evil seems to get the love, but for me TIF is the among the best technical thrash albums ever produced.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:07 am 

That album isn't just better than Forbidden Evil, it fucking obliterates it 12 times over. Holy schnikes they stepped up their game for that one. I agree that it's totally awesome though.

Those that say Forbidden Evil deserves higher than like a 60% are off their rocker, in my opinion. It's such a limp debut.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:01 am 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
That album isn't just better than Forbidden Evil, it fucking obliterates it 12 times over. Holy schnikes they stepped up their game for that one. I agree that it's totally awesome though.

Those that say Forbidden Evil deserves higher than like a 60% are off their rocker, in my opinion. It's such a limp debut.

Agreed.

The only memorable songs on the debut are 'Forbidden Evil' and 'Chalice of Blood'.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:27 pm 

The debut is good, but not great. TiF is assuredly great.

"Feel No Pain" is another awesome song from the debut.

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:53 pm 

FEEL NO
(de-de loo de-de loo)
PAIN
(de-de loo de-deee)

They didn't really know how to write a chorus back then. Cartoon villain stuff.

One band not mentioned yet is Toxin, their only album isn't super amazing but it's pretty strong stuff. Mildly technical and dissonant, roughly comparable to Holy Moses circa The Last Machine of Liechtenstein (but not as overtly Voivodian), but also aggressive and surprisingly hooky at times. I haven't given their EPs and demos afterwards as much time, but they generally seem cool too (especially the Cloned EP).

Disciples of Power has grown on me a lot over the years as well. Everything up to Mechanikill at least has its moments, and that album in particular is really good, although weird and experimental. It's not anything like typical death/thrash, nor your regular proggy versions thereof. The entire album has this weighty, lurching feeling, not arbitrarily switching between riffs but frequently building on them. If that album is considering a little too far outside of thrash, then I'll just mention the first which, at its best, is full of hyperactive riff-packed goodness.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 11:19 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
The debut is good, but not great. TiF is assuredly great.

"Feel No Pain" is another awesome song from the debut.

Thanks for that. Will revisit that track.

After posting in this thread I checked out Green for the first time. It should have been called Brown.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:34 am 

stainedclass2112 wrote:

Hi there :)

It's a colossal, monumental thrash metal album. The fact that noone mentioned Through Eyes of Glass is all I need to know.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:18 am 

Forbidden Evil is a very fun, catchy, good album from start to finish. Also it was an early one in my thrash life.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:06 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
stainedclass2112 wrote:

It's a colossal, monumental thrash metal album. The fact that noone mentioned Through Eyes of Glass is all I need to know.

Through Eyes of Glass is my favorite from that album and it's definitely one of the best thrash songs of all time! Amazing track with arguably one of the greatest intros ever conceived. That minute or so of riffing is totally wicked.

However, I still say only Chalice of Blood and Forbidden Evil really stand up to that one. It's the weakest album in my personal collection, and I do hope that I will one day learn to like it a bit more.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:11 am 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
Dungeon_Vic wrote:

Through Eyes of Glass is my favorite from that album and it's definitely one of the best thrash songs of all time! Amazing track with arguably one of the greatest intros ever conceived. That minute or so of riffing is totally wicked.

However, I still say only Chalice of Blood and Forbidden Evil really stand up to that one. It's the weakest album in my personal collection, and I do hope that I will one day learn to like it a bit more.

Thanks guys. I will also revisit that track.

TBH it's been years since I listened to Forbidden Evil from start to finish. I just remember being majorly disappointed, as Twisted Into Form was my introduction to the band.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:15 am 

If you have it on vinyl, the B-side can double as a really cool dinner plate or maybe a lazy susan or something. The A-side mostly kicks ass, but it has Off the Edge which is one of the worst thrash songs I can think of by a band that has good stuff.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:20 am 

All Off the Edge could use is a better chorus and it'd be just fine.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:48 am 

It should be noted that I have a ridiculous grudge with this album that even I don't even understand.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:17 am 

On the subject of later albums that don't get as much hype as debuts and sophomore efforts, I'd like to introduce Nuclear Assault's Handle With Care to the discussion.

cvac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:45 am 

Rodman wrote:

TBH it's been years since I listened to Forbidden Evil from start to finish. I just remember being majorly disappointed, as Twisted Into Form was my introduction to the band.

Both albums have their good points and bad points. Neither is some kind of thrash masterpiece. I like Forbidden Evil slightly more as it has a bit more raw energy IMHO. The second album is more polished, which is good, but it also has really annoying songs like "Step by Step".

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:23 pm 

Step by Step is the best song on that album, dude. It has their best chorus, great lyrics, and some of the best riffing they've done.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:50 pm 

I consider both Forbidden albums masteprieces and two of the finest in the genre. I don't want to get into a debate again, I don't understand any of the arguments against it (maybe that a couple of choruses sound a bit simplistic? OK, whatever) so I'll just leave it like that.

Handle with Care is my favorite Nuclear Assault album. Search and Seizure, A New Song, Inherited Hell, fucking awesome all the way through. Connelly's vocals are an acquired taste perhaps - he's one of my favorites as well. I think it's quite popular though (I don't know about MA specifically but among NA fans). It's DiSanto's favorite NA as well (name dropping to help the argument!)

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

cvac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:03 pm 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
Step by Step is the best song on that album, dude. It has their best chorus, great lyrics, and some of the best riffing they've done.

If you like it that's great. The chorus and vocals are dogshit, IMHO.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:06 pm 

I actually really dig the chorus on that one. I do think Russ overdid his role as a singer though. Too much wailing despite his really great low end. That's not to undermine his abilities.

@Vic that's my fave from NA as well. It's one of my favorite thrash albums, period.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:48 pm 

I agree that Handle with Care is a great album, but is it underrated? From my experience when it's brought up, it gets mostly praise. Also the review scores are quite high and they play a fair amount of songs from it live. If talking underrated and Nuclear Assault I'd rather expect their following two albums.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:59 pm 

Dembo wrote:
I agree that Handle with Care is a great album, but is it underrated? From my experience when it's brought up, it gets mostly praise.

Sure, but I don't think most young thrashers who salivate over the Big 4 and every new Overkill album care about it.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:00 pm 

cvac wrote:
Liquid_Braino wrote:
I don't know, maybe so, but compared to the sloppy awesome chaos of The Return of Martha Splatterhead, MFTAOCF seems quite refined and even a bit polished musically with a lot more palm-muted thrashing riffs than its predecessor. To me it's really Blaine's vocal lunacy that really brings the hardcore vibe for me, but yeah there's still some punk to their sound on this album I suppose.

I listened to this album today after not putting it on in awhile. Yeah, there are some metal riffs there. Still quite unhinged and punk, maybe that's down to the vocals and the general vibe of the band. I could see some fans of rawer thrash getting into it for sure. But, if someone hates punk and hardcore, I think they will have a hard time with it.

Quote:

COC's Animosity is a pretty interesting release too, with side A leaning more towards thrash and side B more hardcore influenced (outside of that lumbering monster of a title track). You can hear the Slayer influence on "Loss For Words" but not so much on "Intervention". Raw Power's Screams From the Gutter was definitely more on the hardcore side of things except for those melodic guitar solos, but their next one, After Your Brain, had a more level crossover sound to me.

Yeah, the two sides of Animosity do sound different. RE: After Your Brain, definitely more metallic IIRC but I never thought it was anywhere near as good as SFTG.

Another band in a similar realm to all this stuff is Attitude Adjustment. Taang Records did a CD with three of their albums compiled. I just put that on after not having played it in some time.

See here:

https://www.discogs.com/Attitude-Adjust ... se/3325099

I've seen Attitude Adjustment twice with DRI. Everyone that loves music in that same manner ought to check them out.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:53 pm 

Ravenous, "Book of Covetous Souls"

autothrall's review sums up my thoughts pretty accurately, particularly with citing "Arise" and "Coma of Souls" as the albums which serve as bookends in style, composition, production, etc. Not something I would have expected from an Austrian band at the time. Wasn't even aware of its existence until I had seen it show up on the Metal Race Bandcamp. Your mileage may vary, but deserving of at least a pass or a few. https://metalrace.bandcamp.com/album/ra ... tous-souls

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:13 pm 

I don't understand the hate for "Step by Step." The first time I ever heard that song I thought the opening sounded like mid '90s Death.

Handle with Care sucks though. Something Wicked is actually a very underrated '90s thrash album.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:43 pm 

Speaking of Austrian thrash in the early 90's, I came to think of Typhoon - Take Good Care, from '92.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM38R1nUiNA

And speaking of albums from '91 (since Arise was mentioned), Attomica - Disturbing the Noise deserves a higher average score than it currently has.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2pSRto079I

I would also recommend their comeback album 4, from 2012 as an example of good new albums by old thrash bands. And on that note, I also think Anihilated are on a good run with their new albums.

Diamhea wrote:
Handle with Care sucks

Super catchy and super thrashy. What's not to like?

cvac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:53 pm 

ModusOperandi wrote:
Ravenous, "Book of Covetous Souls"

autothrall's review sums up my thoughts pretty accurately, particularly with citing "Arise" and "Coma of Souls" as the albums which serve as bookends in style, composition, production, etc. Not something I would have expected from an Austrian band at the time. Wasn't even aware of its existence until I had seen it show up on the Metal Race Bandcamp. Your mileage may vary, but deserving of at least a pass or a few. https://metalrace.bandcamp.com/album/ra ... tous-souls

Listened to this earlier today and thought it was pretty good. Going to listen again before I finalize my thoughts. Metal Race has some other stuff worth checking out as well.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:57 pm 

I despised Handle With Care for the longest time, but it has quickly skyrocketed in quality to my ears. I dunno why. Now that I really think about it, I think Survive might actually beat it out, but idk. I do not own any NA, which is a shame, because I love a lot of their stuff.

I'm with Dia on Something Wicked though. It has a few of my favorites from them. That title track has quite possibly the burliest thrash riff ever. The one at like 0:27 is utterly devastating.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next