Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:10 pm 

Here are a few more samples:

A lot of it sounds like stuff that would work better at 3-4 minutes than 6-7, but we will see.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:19 pm 

Just play the fucking samples, Jesus Christ, I don't need to hear these motherfuckers talking over shit.

"Yeah, 'Mean Green Killing Machine' is about like... war, but also like, nuclear power because 'green' and like, killing machine... just imagine a fucking giant monster truck, that's got skulls and is like puking toxic green fluid. That's what 'Mean Green Killing Machine' is about, yeeeaaah."

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:40 pm 

Master_Of_Thrash wrote:
Hey Overkill, Death Magnetic came out 8 years ago!

All joking aside, I honestly think this song is shit. Super lame, uninspired, and drags on for ages.

You know, I liked Ironbound, but this is the third time in a row they've just straight up copied Ironbound, can they try to sound even 5% different for once? This one's their most boring Ironclone song yet.

Also the production style they've used for their modern albums really, really sucks. I hope Andy Sneap converts to the Westboro Baptist Church or Wahhabism or something so he stops inflicting his horrible production style on metal albums.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:32 pm 

Woolie_Wool wrote:
You know, I liked Ironbound, but this is the third time in a row they've just straight up copied Ironbound, can they try to sound even 5% different for once? This one's their most boring Ironclone song yet.

Well I suppose it could be because their record sales have been on a pretty impressive upswing ever since "Ironbound", each album has sold like 2K more than the previous here in the US, which is pretty outstanding. They probably figure, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" :lol:. All the albums are basically identical but I honestly thought "White Devil Armory" was even better than "Ironbound", it's only after revisiting in recent months that I've realized how great that album actually was. This one appears to be at least on "The Electric Age" level of quality, "good but not great", I guess. The kind of thing you buy on a whim, listen to twice and then put back in the collection. Not very exciting or interesting, but they know what they do and they do it well enough (or at least, better than Slayer, Testament, Exodus, Metallica, or Anthrax).

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:14 am 

Quote:
their record sales have been on a pretty impressive upswing ever since "Ironbound", each album has sold like 2K more than the previous here in the US

You may want to raise the bar on what you consider "impressive".

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:28 am 

MawBTS wrote:
Quote:
their record sales have been on a pretty impressive upswing ever since "Ironbound", each album has sold like 2K more than the previous here in the US

You may want to raise the bar on what you consider "impressive".

Not really. At this point, selling more copies than your previous one is basically unheard of. Just about every band, regardless of how big or small, sells a considerable amount less with each album...a good example is Avenged Sevenfold, their last one couldn't even sell half what it's predecessor did in 2013 :lol:. Granted, most examples are nowhere near that bad, but it's still a pretty dire situation. And here's a band that's been around for nearly 40 years, 18 albums in, yet are able to consistently top themselves sales-wise in a business where bands half their age (as well as bands their age :lol:) can't. Obviously it doesn't mean they're selling more than those bands, but still impressive nonetheless.

Jester66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:26 pm 

New video just popped up for Goddamn Trouble. I like this much better than Mean, Green.....

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:29 pm 

true_death wrote:
Not really. At this point, selling more copies than your previous one is basically unheard of. Just about every band, regardless of how big or small, sells a considerable amount less with each album...a good example is Avenged Sevenfold, their last one couldn't even sell half what it's predecessor did in 2013 :lol:. Granted, most examples are nowhere near that bad, but it's still a pretty dire situation. And here's a band that's been around for nearly 40 years, 18 albums in, yet are able to consistently top themselves sales-wise in a business where bands half their age (as well as bands their age :lol:) can't. Obviously it doesn't mean they're selling more than those bands, but still impressive nonetheless.

Every release I put out sells more than the previous. Guess I must be on to something the rest of them aren't.

In all actuality, it's rather simple and easy to increase your sales. Most bands and artists have not spent years gaining the required knowledge and experience to market your work effectively, however. They entrust those to labels who are also falling behind the times. This new age demands a different strategy for disseminating information, and that is basically what marketing is.

NTT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:07 pm 

That was a wicked Deep Purple drop in 'Goddamn Trouble', I'm digging it.

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:08 pm 

"Goddamn Trouble" was pretty good. Listen to 6:25, who knew that Blitz still had THAT in him?

Quote:

I agree that holding steady is an impressive achievement these days, but that's all they're doing...holding steady. It's not like they've suddenly hit the jackpot of mainstream success.

Avenged Sevenfold chose a terrible marketing strategy and I suspect their fans are growing out of them.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:47 pm 

I hate to be a hater, but another yawner.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:28 pm 

As much as I rag on Overkill for just writing Ironbound a bunch of times in a row, I do have to admit that I like White Devil Armory in spite of myself. After all the backlash towards the first track I didn't even bother listening to it, but this one was just fine. Good, uptempo rocking thrash tune. They're still on autopilot but they're cruising smoothly enough. I feel like this will be akin to The Electric Age, where I really don't care for the album as a whole much at all but it has Electric Rattlesnake, potentially one of their best tracks since their rejuvenation.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:33 pm 

Cool video and best tune from the new record so far. That's how Over Kill should sound. I think I'm going to pick this album up just like the last two. I'm intrigued by the Japanese version that includes a cover of Iron Maiden's ''Sanctuary'' and a DVD with eight live songs.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

NTT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:39 pm 

I can't wait to hear their Thin Lizzy "Emerald" cover, that's gonna be badass.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:12 pm 

Got bored after 60 seconds.

Is it me or Dustin from Stranger Things looks like Bobby!?
Spoiler: show

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:35 pm 

That song bored me.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:02 am 

That was...pretty fucking bad, to be honest.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:33 am 

Metantoine wrote:

Lol, now that you say it I can see a resemblance. Both of them definitely have interesting looks.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:19 pm 

The album has leaked! Even though it releases tomorrow, so it's not that big of a deal. Spinning this now.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:30 pm 

Halfway through, I was having trouble getting through this album. The Grinding Wheel fails to establish a pace early on, it still feels like this album has yet to get going around track five. Every track is really groovy and slow outside of a few, and it just really hurts the entire pace of the album. "The Long Road" feels like the first track that kicks the momentum up a notch.

The album finally picks up at "Red, White And Blue" which is an absolute screecher and continues on with the absolute blasting of "The Wheel" which is a fantastic track. And finally, they discover how to write those slow, driving, groovy riffs for "The Grinding Wheel" that the rest of the album is sorely lacking in. This song is awesome, and it's how they should've approached the rest of the album for foot-stomping grooviness.

All-in-all, most of the album just isn't that interesting. Most choruses, riffs and Blitz's vocals just don't produce anything noteworthy. I don't think it's bad in the same way W.F.O. or NecroShine is bad, and it isn't boring in the same way I Hear Black is, it's just unremarkable stuff for most of the album, when this thing randomly decides to pick up at "Red, White And Blue" and hold steady for the rest of the runtime.

I think this album is really worth a listen to those who dropped off hard around the time of White Devil Armory. Maybe y'all can glean a different perspective than I did. Diamhea will probably eat this up because he's into that slow shit.

Choice picks: "Mean, Green Killing Machine", "Our Finest Hour", "Red, White And Blue", "The Wheel", "The Grinding Wheel".

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:53 pm 

I'm curious if perhaps it's time to let Dave and Derek finally become more involved in the songwriting, as doubtful as we all know that may be. From the track-by-track interviews it seems like both are far more enthusiastic for the thrashier songs and the latter half of the album in general. In a way, the band kept to their word that this would be more varied which was the original intent for "White Devil Armory" so I'm not surprised in that way, just that the songs themselves are a little lacking.

Also, that's clearly not Ron behind the drums in the video. I don't recall there being any statement about a change.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

NTT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:10 pm 

Got two listens in. Really loving it. Feels like a healthy mix of WFO with some Electric Age production. It's a littler 'looser' and my attitude packed than the last few albums. Tempos are all over the place but at the same time, it's Overkill and I can kinda hear where each song is going. Blitz has some choice lyrics scattered about as well, sounds like he was having a blast recording this. Overkill is like a nailgun, shoots the same nail out but in a different spot every few years. That middle section of "Red, White and Blue" is probably my favorite bit at the moment but I also love the opener. Props to the killer Thin Lizzy cover as well.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:26 pm 

W.F.O. is a bad album.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:34 pm 

ObservationSlave wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

Lol, now that you say it I can see a resemblance. Both of them definitely have interesting looks.

I always confuse Bobby Blitz with the younger version of Billy Drago

NTT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:53 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
W.F.O. is a bad album.

It's my favorite Overkill album. (minus that whole 99 tracks thing with the shitty bonus covers tacked on)

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:41 pm 

ModusOperandi wrote:
Also, that's clearly not Ron behind the drums in the video. I don't recall there being any statement about a change.

I was wondering about that. Huge loss if Ron is out. That guy is amazing.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:52 pm 

Ron Lipnicki isn't out. I read he had to deal with some emergency personal stuff, so he was unable to be on tour with them. He's been out for a few months, but he isn't out of the band. [source]

Haunted Shirt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:01 pm 

The last time I saw them every time there was a solo, or a break in vocals Bobby went behind the amps. I thought it was the strangest thing. He kept peeking out. No idea what was going on, but it was odd. Its the least I have ever seen him on stage at any show.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:10 pm 

He has to use some sort of oxygen therapy during live shows now, which is one reason why he constantly disappears. It was originally due to stage fright ,and he sort of incorporated it into his stage persona.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:28 pm 

Can this just be stickied to save Diamhea and FasterDisaster from fucking each other?

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:33 pm 

For the first time in years, Amazon will be delivering a pre-order of mine on release day! Unfortunately, it happens to be this album, which I'm purchasing more out of obligation/my love for the first 4 records than because I'm genuinely excited. Hopefully it's as good as The Electric Age or White Devil Armory. I know it can't match up to Ironbound, but hopefully I'll enjoy it at least a bit.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:35 pm 

It's literally not even as good as IronBound. I posted a mini-review several responses above.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:19 am 

Listened to the whole thing and while it isn't a bad album, it just feels forgettable. Im liking Kreator and Testament more.

Haunted Shirt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:36 am 

Diamhea wrote:
He has to use some sort of oxygen therapy during live shows now, which is one reason why he constantly disappears. It was originally due to stage fright ,and he sort of incorporated it into his stage persona.

Well that explains it. I thought he might be back there doing lines of coke. So wish I had a better camera, his head peaking out from behind the PA was hysterical. Just the way he was peeking out looking over at my side the stage/audience.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:10 am 

I've listened to promo tracks and here we go, the full ride. The initial impression is very good, "Mean, Green, Killing Machine" is exactly how they needed to open their new album. Loving the groove and the swagger. This will surely top their last two albums.

~Guest 398577
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:05 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Listened to the whole thing and while it isn't a bad album, it just feels forgettable. Im liking Kreator and Testament more.

Meaning, Brotherhood of the Snake? I'm still into playing that album; even parts like "Canna-business is a sign of the times", are hilariously crap, but passable.

I've only heard, "Our Finest Hour", and since then, I've been confident that this will be a good album.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:53 pm 

Not a stellar album, but pretty good mostly. It's not as good as say Sodom or Kreator's newest stuff, but way above Testament's newest, which I have no idea where people are getting the idea of it being anything less than sub-fucking-par.

NTT
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:42 pm 

I'd certainly put this above Testament, Destruction and Sodom from last year. I only really come back to "The Pale King" from BOTS, maybe "Neptune's Spear" here and there. Groove, swagger and attitude are what Overkill deliver in spades. I'm smiling ear to ear when I hear Blitz rhyme Hades with Mercedes.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:59 pm 

I like the album. It's pretty much as great as the previous three outputs. The songs are a little bit longer and might take some more time to open up and the drum sound is slightly better than before but other than that, it's business as usual on a high level for Overkill. After two spins, my favorite tunes, aside of the tracks that had already been released and discussed earlier, are ''Red, White and Blue'' and ''The Grinding Wheel''.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:40 pm 

NTT wrote:
I'd certainly put this above Testament, Destruction and Sodom from last year.

I ended up souring really hard on Brotherhood Of The Snake. Decision Day is a solid record although a bit redundant, I'm just glad they put out something decent after a spotty last eight or nine years. I also had no idea Destruction released an album last year.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next