Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:59 am 

I promise you that won't end up being the month of release. Likely closer to Summer.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Wombface
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:00 pm 

Yeah, not a chance it's being released before that. I'd say late 2019.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:12 pm 

Still, his point stands, I agree completely. If they had hit an inspiration streak (and it seem like that for the first 3 - starting with Ironbound) I wouldn't argue but it seems they need a break. I only recently listened to the entire album and it's not bad. But it's not great either. And it feels too familiar. I have a similar problem with Accept too.

I don't get the idea that a band needs to release new material every two years in order to be a viable touring entity. At all. Especially with old acts like Accept or Overkill. This must be a record label thing and it makes no sense at all. If they want to move product then they should work out a deal to support their roster's touring and get a cut (OR SOMETHING, I don't claim to have thought through the business model of the future). But yeah, for the band, let them tour the fuck out of the planet in a stretch of two years, not to mention the festival circuit in the summer, do special shows, do tour packages with their peers or new blood.

And let them record when they want to. Not when they have to. Well, sometimes bands need the whip to get off their asses but still, a middle road should be possible. At this point I read about a new Overkill album and I yawned and that's a shame...

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:40 pm 

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to believe they won’t stick to that release date, which is two years to the month since “The Grinding Wheel” and keeps to their usual schedule. Each of the two previous albums were delayed for different reasons with the last as their longest stretch in quite a while. They have no long, significant tours for the rest of this year and they understandably want to acclimate Jason Bittner to the fans with new material as quickly as possible. They wouldn’t start recording already if they didn’t have a solid plan in place, and it’s not like delays have been a noticeable habit throughout their entire career.

At the end of the day, if we’re nitpicking to this degree, there are much, much worse problems to have as a fan and certainly as a band. I’ll still take this current run over the vast majority of their peers. No, they don’t HAVE to make new albums at the pace they do, but they don’t rely heavily on nostalgia and a lot of those newer songs go over even better live than on record.

Coincidentally, they might be the closest thing we’ve got to Motorhead’s true successor.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:29 am 

The best way to introduce Bittner and integrate him would be live shows imo. The comparison with the vast majority of their peers would take some clarification. Sure, Slayer did not do good. Metallica did great but without self-control and are at the other end of the spectrum, taking too long between albums (but I prefer that). But what about Death Angel or Flotsam and Jetsam or Anthrax or Testament? I vastly prefer all of their latest output over Overkill's (esp. DA, FJ and Anthrax), so I guess it's up for debate.

How do you mean Motorhead's successor? I don't think anyone can succeed them because Lemmy was Motorhead and Lemmy was a very special animal for the whole of rock music. Musically, I think Phil Campbell's Bastard Sons (who I saw live last summer) were much closer to Motorhead and this includes the music, not just the obvious Phil connection and the live covers of Motorhead. (Why aren't they in the archives btw?)

And as far as attitude goes (dirty, loud and fast) I'll go for Zeke myself:
Zeke - On the Road (2018)

edit: Eh, one more (or three!) Working Man / Hellbender / County Jail "hyperspeed thrash-punk and Motörhead possessed, hard as nails, rock n' roll." pretty much sums it up. Hey, they belong in the archives too imo... Kurt Colfelt plays bass by the way (Agent Steel and Holy Terror guitarist, one lovely dude)

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

Last edited by Dungeon_Vic on Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:44 am 

When I saw Overkill live it was clear that the older songs went over better than the new ones, and no surprise.

I knew it was a matter of time before even the most ardent fans would start admitting their new material was mediocre. It happened with Star Wars movies eventually, and it will happen with Marvel movies.

I would argue that putting out mediocre albums that don't come close to your glory years is exactly living in the past. At some level they know this, with the recent DVD revisiting Horrorscope and Feel the Fire.

Does anyone really believe that DD is a better songwriter than Bobby?

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:51 am 

That depends on whether or not he actually wrote all of Horrorscope.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:58 am 

Diamhea wrote:
That depends on whether or not he actually wrote all of Horrorscope.

So the theory is that DD wrote all of Horrorscope and then for 28 years wrote nothing else approaching that?

Far more likely that Gant/Cannavino wrote the lion's share of that material. Huge fall-off in quality when they left.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:47 am 

I can see DD writing stuff like much of Necroshine, maybe TKK, but yeah... it is pretty suspect.

Last.fm

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:22 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
How do you mean Motorhead's successor? I don't think anyone can succeed them because Lemmy was Motorhead and Lemmy was a very special animal for the whole of rock music. Musically, I think Phil Campbell's Bastard Sons (who I saw live last summer) were much closer to Motorhead and this includes the music, not just the obvious Phil connection and the live covers of Motorhead. (Why aren't they in the archives btw?)

I mean in the sense that they’re the elder statesmen you have a pretty good idea of what they’re gonna give you on a regular basis that’s of respectable quality, and have the live performance down to match. No, it’s not a 1:1 tradeoff - each band have their own sound, identity, and legacy, but perhaps Overkill is the closest to filling that similar role right now. If there’s another reasonable comparison, I’m all ears. As much as I love Exodus and modern Testament and Death Angel (them in particular,) Overkill has simply been more present and relevant to me.

As to your previous point, there was next to no dropoff in scheduled live appearances when Bittner joined and he IS a known name and quantity, so it’s not a question of if he can perform the back catalogue live adequately but what dynamic he can bring going forward. You mentioned Flotz, and it’s easy to see and hear how important he was to finally getting them turned around. He’s no kid, and certainly has a similar work ethos as the rest of the band.

I just don’t see how this isn’t a perfect opportunity for Overkill to slightly refresh themselves while still maintaining their momentum of the last eight years.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:13 pm 

ModusOperandi wrote:
I mean in the sense that they’re the elder statesmen you have a pretty good idea of what they’re gonna give you on a regular basis that’s of respectable quality, and have the live performance down to match. No, it’s not a 1:1 tradeoff - each band have their own sound, identity, and legacy, but perhaps Overkill is the closest to filling that similar role right now. If there’s another reasonable comparison, I’m all ears. As much as I love Exodus and modern Testament and Death Angel (them in particular,) Overkill has simply been more present and relevant to me.

Fair points. I guess what I am trying to say is that Lemmy was huge presence in the whole of rock n' roll, metal certainly - so a band continuin the legacy would have to be someone with a lot more weight than Overkill. I would also consider Sodom and Tom in particular, riffing on what you say from a European perspective.

Quote:
As to your previous point, there was next to no dropoff in scheduled live appearances when Bittner joined and he IS a known name and quantity, so it’s not a question of if he can perform the back catalogue live adequately but what dynamic he can bring going forward. You mentioned Flotz, and it’s easy to see and hear how important he was to finally getting them turned around. He’s no kid, and certainly has a similar work ethos as the rest of the band.

I just don’t see how this isn’t a perfect opportunity for Overkill to slightly refresh themselves while still maintaining their momentum of the last eight years.

Fair points again. Maybe Jason is what they need to get a kick, I saw him live with Flots and he was great (and a cool dude). Still, it all comes down (and always will be) to the songwriting.

Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:32 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
When I saw Overkill live it was clear that the older songs went over better than the new ones, and no surprise.

I knew it was a matter of time before even the most ardent fans would start admitting their new material was mediocre. It happened with Star Wars movies eventually, [...]

I see you're still fulfilling your strangely obsessive grudge against modern-day OverKill not being worth a shit as compared to their older material. I don't think anybody has defended The Grinding Wheel with any sort of passion. I think it's a bad record all-around, mostly because they try to revisit the groovy bullshit they peddled for far too long in the nineties and oughts.

White Devil Armory is still masterful, and the previous two are still just as solid as they were even before The Grinding Wheel came out.

Regardless, if The Grinding Wheel is a vision of what's to come in the future for them, unless they can pull a KillBox 13 and make the grooves work with the songs, I don't want any part of it. Regardless, this seems like a super fast turnaround. Either they're feeling massively inspired, or they've realized the reception to The Grinding Wheel has been tepid at best and want to try to walk by it without creating a disturbance.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:59 am 

Sid Falck interview: http://rattle.hu/index.php/2018/07/i-ne ... tal-scene/

quite informative. there's even stuff that could go on m-a.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:03 am 

Pretty cool interview. Good to hear that he's on decent enough terms with the guys in Overkill and Battlezone.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:33 pm 

aloof wrote:
Sid Falck interview: http://rattle.hu/index.php/2018/07/i-ne ... tal-scene/

quite informative. there's even stuff that could go on m-a.

Good read. Thanks for sharing that.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:22 pm 

Lipnicki is in Whiplash now and they signed to Metal Blade: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/whipla ... arly-2019/

Wombface
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:43 pm 

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/overkill-completes-work-on-new-album-february-2019-release-expected/

Hopefully it's not pushed back for a change.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:30 am 

Has anyone here bought DD's solo album and enjoyed it?

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:55 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Has anyone here bought DD's solo album and enjoyed it?

I picked it up and listened to it in the car this morning on my way to work. It's a hard rock album with metal elements in it. I need to spin it again to form a better opinion of it. DD's vocals are quite different than when you hear gang shouts on an Overkill album. It's not bad on the first listen, but nothing really stands out other than the song Night of the Swamp King because it is rather different than the rest of the tracks. It's more southern/groove metal than hard rock like the rest of the album.

fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:18 am 

I listened to Verni's album again. It's not that great with only a couple little good parts here and there. It's just kinda of weird and the opening track is just terrible. It reminds me of Adrenaline Mob.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:13 am 

Stumbled upon a 12 minute video of analyzing D.D.'s bass tone and style. I'm not well-versed with musician terms, but according to the guy in the video, D.D. invented "clank".

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:55 am 

Enjoying the new album. Has some rippers and some filler as per the norm. Overall it is about what I expect.

Anubis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:13 am 

I've been giving it some time since release date, and I really just don't feel as much of a connection to it as even The Grinding Wheel. TGW was a dud overall, but it felt like there were some solid ideas here and there. I haven't had any particular moment really latch with me on this one.

This one feels like a lot of b-sides for White Devil Armory and Electric Age. Maybe it will click with me later, but it doesn't seem to have much to it at this point. Blitz sounds pretty great still though.

ReignInBloodyGore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:29 am 

I can’t remember how many times I’ve gone through the new record at this point, but it’s a lot. Although I’m still more attached to The Grinding Wheel, this is a fine go-to record when not sure what to listen to next.

The 3 tracks that get stuck in my head the most are:
“Believe in the Fight” for reasons I can’t really explain other than really just liking the vocal lines on it.
“Batshitcrazy” for it’s cool grooviness.
“Welcome to the Garden State” because it is the most different track and surprisingly catchy. I find myself singing this to myself more than anything else I’ve heard recently, despite not really liking it on first listen.

It’s not one of their greatest albums in my opinion but it still gets the job done!

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:26 am 

Dembo wrote:
Stumbled upon a 12 minute video of analyzing D.D.'s bass tone and style. I'm not well-versed with musician terms, but according to the guy in the video, D.D. invented "clank".

I think he's confusing "I heard it here first" with invented; it's certainly an extreme and impressive sound, but there are earlier examples. Jason Newsted on Flotsam and Jetsam's debut, Peace Sells... has that clanky sound, too, and the Cro-Mags' debut album, especially 'World Peace'. I think DD is the next step in an evolutionary chain, but not an inventor. Hell, Steve Harris was happily clanking away - sans pick - in the early 1980s and you can trace that super treble heavy bass sound back to John Entwistle on Live at Leeds. Cool video, nonetheless.

Knygathin
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:40 pm 

Recently started listening to Feel the Fire. "Hammerhead" sounds so much like one of Metallica's songs, don't remember exactly which. But it must have been Metallica who picked it up from Overkill, not the other way around! Wow.

And "Rotten to the Core" has emphasis in the refrain that sounds like one of the famous songs on Agent Steel's Skeptics Apocalypse. Again, Agent Steel must have picked it up from Overkill, because Feel the Fire was released a few months before their album.

And there was something like Slayer too. From Reign in Blood or Seasons in the Abyss. Same thing there, Overkill was first.

Overkill is clearly legend.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:18 am 

I had completely missed that guitarist Sebastian Marino died of a heart attack in January, at age 57. He played on The Killing Kind, From the Underground and Below, and Necroshine, as well as the cover album.

R.I.P.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11