Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:02 pm 

I can see the future. Somebody will hit Anders Frieden over the head with a huge boulder and they decide to make music like late era Dismember (i.e. melodic death metal).
Nah, not gonna happen. There's no rock where they are and that's a fact.

In any case, I listened to the new album in full and it's really really hard to suck so uncompromisingly without going at it with the intention of sucking.
So look in the lower right corner, there's an achievement popping up. There are few bands capable of this level of utter failure. I had a phase where I listened to this band about 9 years ago or so, but only because I thought I was some kind of open minded person for listening to something I did not connect with on any level, because they sucked back then as well.

To not be so entirely negative I will now spin their first few albums again to see if they had some point in history that I can relate with. Very much looking forward to this.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:20 pm 

They're going down in flames....

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/bassis ... in-flames/

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:15 pm 

Oh look. Another classic member of In Flames quits the band after a dumpster fire of an album is released.

Gee, I wonder why?

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:20 pm 

He must have saw this thread and read the reviews for their albums.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:35 pm 

It's absolutely astounding just how bad In Flames have gotten in the last 5 years. Say what you will about the albums from Reroute to Remain to A Sense of Purpose, but at least a few of those albums had good stuff on them, and a couple of them were pretty good altogether. Ever since Sounds of a Playground Fading, they've gotten unbearably awful. It's legitimately perplexing just how far In Flames have drifted from what they used to be, and it's just depressing to see a bunch of 40+ year old men look and act like 18 year olds partaking in a trend that was popular in 2009. They are a band that absolutely needs to just go away and never come back, if only to preserve whatever legacy they have left at this point.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:06 am 

Subrick wrote:
Oh look. Another classic member of In Flames quits the band after a dumpster fire of an album is released.

Gee, I wonder why?

I sure hope it's going to make the others at least consider to call it quits. They won't, cause they are greedy and have absolutely no kind of artistic integrity, but it would be great if they at least considered it. Any step closer to shutting down the turd factory would be a good thing.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:53 pm 

Direnotes wrote:
I didn't mind anything up to the newest album... I couldn't listen to that at all. But I'm not saying any of it was technically 'good' and the whole 'A Sense of Purpose' and 'Sounds of a Playground Dying' era was technically garbage, but those albums were also guilty pleasures of mine and I really wanted to support a band that I once loved (even though they were barely a shadow of their former selves). Come Clarity was WAY better then A Soundtrack to Your Escape... I don't know, I'll give it a listen if they are at least moving away from that newer stuff.

Without Jesper Stromblad involved, I have no problem completely denying this band's existence.

*I enjoyed reading through this thread since I'm on a Jester Race kick lately and since he was in on a lot of the albums after Colony, I don't know who to blame.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:36 pm 

Jesper Stromblad of 2017 is a shell of the Jesper of 1997. he could rejoin the band and they still aren't going to produce another Jester Race/Whoracle.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:20 am 

I wish Jesper made an album that blew everything that came out of sweden in the past 10-15 years right out of the water...

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:25 am 

Folkemon_ wrote:

Its time to close the bussiness guys....

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:18 pm 

Oh, holy shit. I didn't realize their drummer departed in 2015. So that's three members gone. Anders Fridén still does vocals and Björn Gelotte is still the lead guitarist. Damn.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:36 am 

"does vocals" is a bit of a stretch... live he's out of breath before the chorus in each song.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:08 pm 

Subrick wrote:
It's absolutely astounding just how bad In Flames have gotten in the last 5 years. Say what you will about the albums from Reroute to Remain to A Sense of Purpose, but at least a few of those albums had good stuff on them, and a couple of them were pretty good altogether. Ever since Sounds of a Playground Fading, they've gotten unbearably awful. It's legitimately perplexing just how far In Flames have drifted from what they used to be, and it's just depressing to see a bunch of 40+ year old men look and act like 18 year olds partaking in a trend that was popular in 2009. They are a band that absolutely needs to just go away and never come back, if only to preserve whatever legacy they have left at this point.

Well put, mate.

The Crazy Old School Music Fan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:41 pm 

In Flames has sucked since the beginning. Nothing but warmed over Iron Maiden riffs done in a melodic death metal style, and now they are basically just a metalcore parody band.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:41 pm 

The Crazy Old School Music Fan wrote:
In Flames has sucked since the beginning. Nothing but warmed over Iron Maiden riffs done in a melodic death metal style, and now they are basically just a metalcore parody band.

Well that's your opinion but Lunar Strain was great and no not warmed over Maiden riffs in a melodic death metal style.

Rodman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:56 pm 

droneriot wrote:
After "Black Sabbath", "War Pigs", "Victim of Changes", "Exciter", "Overkill", "Ace of Spades", "Iron Fist", "Prowler", "Where Eagles Dare", "Aces High", "Fight Fire with Fire", "Battery", "Blackened", "Hell Awaits", "Angel of Death", "South of Heaven", "Solitude", "Twist of Cain", "Evil", "A Dangerous Meeting", "Black Metal", "Satanic Lust", "Into the Crypts of Rays", "Invincible Force", "Curse the Gods", "The Exorcist", "Disintegrator/Incinerator", "Death Row", "Saint Vitus", "Charred Remains", "Internal Bleeding", "Infected", "Golgotha", "Demonic Incarnate", "What Kind of God", "Immortal Rites", "Rapture", "Lake of Fire", "Higher Coward", "In Battle there Is No Law", "The IVth Crusade", "Obscura", "When the Sun Drank the Weight of Water", "Heroes in Godly Blaze", "M.S. Bismarck", "The Tree of Life and Death", "Cromlech", "Kathaarian Life Code", "Natassja in Eternal Sleep", "Transilvanian Hunger", "Funeral Fog", "Sleep of Death", "Det Som En Gang Var" and "Dunkelheit" I can still come up with at least a hundred more. I have left out albums with intros and everything underground enough to not be known to mainstream metal zines, and still got a ton of vastly superior album openers. :D

Great post.

I will be checking out all the aforementioned tracks that I don't yet know. Thanks in advance.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:40 pm 

eh.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:09 am 

I haven't listen to anything from In Flames past few records, so decide to give that song a chance. It started off fine, but then those vocals came in.... At first it look like it was going to be some synthwave/metal crossover but that just gave me too much hope. Overall Meh.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:35 am 

cultofkraken wrote:
Well that's your opinion but Lunar Strain was great and no not warmed over Maiden riffs in a melodic death metal style.

That's funny cause I tried to listen to (1997) In Flames - Whoracle and (1994) In Flames - Subterranean again yesterday. I could not. :scratch:

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:36 am 

sounds like 80's pop .....is this really the same band that wrote Zombie Inc?

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:53 pm 

80's pop wouldn't be so bad, if it wasn't for his god awful vocals, either they need better cleans or Anders should stick to growls, which could lead to a cool synth pop melodeath crossover if done right.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:00 pm 

Pitiless Wanderer wrote:
sounds like 80's pop .....is this really the same band that wrote Zombie Inc?

These new songs are all covers. It's No Good (Depeche Mode Cover), Down in a Hole (Alice in Chains Cover), Wicked Game (Chris Isaak Cover), Hurt (Live) (Nine Inch Nails Cover) That's why the actual songs are fine. Horrible covers though. The instrumentals are fine I guess but you know.... Anders...

MawBTS
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:24 pm 

To sing synthpop you need a clear, strong voice, not a haggard Jonathan Davis impression.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:09 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:

cultofkraken wrote:

That's funny cause I tried to listen to (1997) In Flames - Whoracle and (1994) In Flames - Subterranean again yesterday. I could not. :scratch:

And how does that pertain to Lunar Strain?

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:42 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:
And how does that pertain to Lunar Strain?

I was trying to explain that I could not listen to those albums I used to like ((2000) In Flames - Clayman and back).
(1994) In Flames - Subterranean was my first from them and is the best rated. Last day it sounded silly.

miskatonic79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:38 pm 

OpsiusCato wrote:
There's a little known secret that I might as well let you all know: In Flames disbanded right after the Clayman tour and they haven't released a single album ever since. That was a good band. All of their output was good. Sad thing they disbanded and NEVER, ever released anything else past Clayman.

THIS. So very much so!!!

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:06 am 

I can´t see any metal in their recent out puts.

I am a huge fan of albums like Reroute To Remain and Come Clarity. But they should have disbanded like 6 yeasr ago. This is embarrasing.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:41 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Ever since Sounds of a Playground Fading, they've gotten unbearably awful. It's legitimately perplexing just how far In Flames have drifted from what they used to be, and it's just depressing to see a bunch of 40+ year old men look and act like 18 year olds partaking in a trend that was popular in 2009.

It's possible they just actually *like* this kind of music? Maybe when they were chasing trends oh so many years ago they came across something they genuinely liked and discovered who they really were as artists. Maybe this means the death metal albums people here are saying are the "real" In Flames were also just them chasing trends, trying to find the thing that actually fit their musical vision and artistic soul.

Yep, what you are hearing now is the *real* In Flames.

Ludorff
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:28 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
It's possible they just actually *like* this kind of music? Maybe when they were chasing trends oh so many years ago they came across something they genuinely liked and discovered who they really were as artists. Maybe this means the death metal albums people here are saying are the "real" In Flames were also just them chasing trends, trying to find the thing that actually fit their musical vision and artistic soul.

Yep, what you are hearing now is the *real* In Flames.

Yes but at the same time they had their share of line-up changes in recent years. In Flames is as real now as they were in the early days. Same band? Nope. I think they really loved 80s heavy, thrash and death metal when they started. You have the obvious NWOBHM influence and a lot of details borrowed from then emerging big names of the extreme metal scene (swedish death metal bands, german thrash, some black metal ideas here and there). What most people did not understand is that they kind of replaced these influences quite early in their career for american influences with nu-metal, metalcore, etc. being trendy in late 90s, early 2000s. When you grew up in that period most kids were exposed to bands like Korn or Slipknot first. You reach high school in the late 90s and it's Wait And Bleed or Freak On A Leash playing everywhere. Then once you got to love real heavy metal music maybe you stop worrying about Korn. In Flames' evolution went the other way around and that confused a lot of metal fans that kind of grew up with them, myself included. At least I stopped expecting anything from them a long time ago :)

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:37 am 

Ludorff wrote:
[What most people did not understand is that they kind of replaced these influences quite early in their career for american influences with nu-metal, metalcore, etc. being trendy in late 90s, early 2000s. When you grew up in that period most kids were exposed to bands like Korn or Slipknot first. You reach high school in the late 90s and it's Wait And Bleed or Freak On A Leash playing everywhere. Then once you got to love real heavy metal music maybe you stop worrying about Korn. In Flames' evolution went the other way around and that confused a lot of metal fans that kind of grew up with them, myself included. At least I stopped expecting anything from them a long time ago :)

Not just that, but the way they consistently went for a more and more commercial sound, noticeably starting with Reroute To Remain, and taking that development far beyond 90s nu metal. The only common trend is that they've got more and more commercial. "Trying to find the thing that actually fit their musical vision and artistic soul" sounds quite pretentious against that backdrop, but no doubt they're sincerely doing what they feel is the best for them. I don't think they could be as successful as they are otherwise.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:56 am 

This is, maybe, more boring than their music. :-P

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:47 pm 

Ok here we go again. 22 second clip of a new song, and it has promise.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2018/11/28/in ... -terrible/

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:18 am 

Well, that last cover EP wasn't bad at all! I hope they will venture more into the rock structures rather than that washed-up melo-death pattern they blindly follow for the last 20+ years.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:32 am 

traxan wrote:
Ok here we go again. 22 second clip of a new song, and it has promise.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2018/11/28/in ... -terrible/

"Don't need your simpatee, I am above"

Sounds like 22 shitty seconds. Abandon all hope.

Pitiless Wanderer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:23 am 

Yeah seriously. I mean any chance, even the slightest, that this band is gonna go back to their glory days is 0. They've said repeatedly that they'll never make a proper melodeath album again.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:49 am 

We are at the point where 20 seconds of Soundtrack to Your Escape b-side is seen as promising.

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:05 am 

It makes me laugh how an excerpt of twenty-two seconds makes people judge the band on social media. Some of those YouTube comments are hilarious. ''This sounds like old school In Flames!''. ''The new record will clearly suck!''. ''This is better than anything they have released in the past ten years!''. What do you know? Wait and see.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:16 am 

kluseba wrote:
It makes me laugh how an excerpt of twenty-two seconds makes people judge the band on social media. Some of those YouTube comments are hilarious. ''This sounds like old school In Flames!''. ''The new record will clearly suck!''. ''This is better than anything they have released in the past ten years!''. What do you know? Wait and see.

we've been waiting and seeing for two decades now - it's pretty clear that this band will never again release anything but utter garbage

kluseba
Making Metal Archives Reviews Great Again!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:21 am 

Maybe you have a crystal ball and know what future brings. I prefer to actually listen to the entire record before making up my mind. I also think that the thousands of fans attending the band's concerts would disagree with your statement.

''Room 819'': http://kluseba.eklablog.com/room-819-a-short-story-a213183053

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:29 am 

As abhorrent as everything this band releases is, it is always pretty silly to judge anything, either way, based off a 20 second clip. I never even get why bands do that. Just wait until you're ready to release a full song.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next