Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:14 am 

CradleOfBurzum wrote:
For Midian, they've played Cthulhu Dawn, Lord Abortion, and Her Ghost In The Fog in recent shows. What songs do you hope they play from Midian? Lindsay, their keyboardist, wants to play Saffron's Curse really badly. I believe that's her favorite song.

Tearing the Veil from Grace. That would be the one song from Midian I would love for them to play live. Saffron's Curse would be really cool too.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:28 am 

ChineseDownhill wrote:
There's a Youtube drummer whose cover of Thirteen Autumns sounds better than what's on the CD. Cruelty and the Beast is at least in the conversation for my favorite Cradle album, but it always bothers me how much worse the drums sound compared to Dusk and Her Embrace.

Absolutely, only improving the drums I think the album will sound 1000 times better.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:22 am 

If you want a good idea of what a remixed Cruelty could sound like, listen to the Red October mix of Thirteen Autumns.

Still not perfect, but it's so much better than the album version.

CradleOfBurzum
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:46 pm 

Subrick wrote:
If you want a good idea of what a remixed Cruelty could sound like, listen to the Red October mix of Thirteen Autumns.

Still not perfect, but it's so much better than the album version.

I think I remember reading that all of the Cruelty songs on "Lovecraft & Witch Hearts" were remixed.

BlackheartSauron
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:23 pm 

Paganbasque wrote:
Its interesting because I consider it a nearly perfect album with a quite weak production. The final result could be impressive if they do a good job.

Can't agree more.
Unless they f it up like The Kovenant did with In Times Before the Light.

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:16 pm 

Dani Filth wrote:

Quote:
Hi there pop pickers! I am spending the next couple of days working with Scott Atkins at Grindstone studios deep in the heart of the Suffolk countryside -in frostbitten melancholia- on the 'Cruelty And The Beast' anatomical remix.
That's a total remix, not a remaster!
The album -which will be released next year to honour it's 20th anniversary- is sounding utterly killer.
Waaay better sounding without losing any of it's dark, magickal atmosphere.
And the weather couldn't be any more perfect for it, save maybe it were to thunder and lightning....

Yes it is.

NordicWarhammer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:59 pm 

Interesting. That is indeed a good album, and a remix/remaster could be quite beneficial. I hope it doesn't end up getting crapped upon somehow.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:46 pm 

Over the summer I was kind of assuming this would be out around Halloween. Then I figured they'd make an announcement on Halloween for a December release date. Now we're 2 /3 of the way through November and still nothing official? Are they going to end up releasing this in mid 2019 for the 21st anniversary? :???:

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:27 am 

Still dead silence indeed, which is frustrating. I recently revisited the album and it's still a fantastic listen; I really want to hear this new mix.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust
Black Druid Hymns - my projects on YouTube

~Guest 354281
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:59 am 

Guess i'm the only one who isn't looking forward to this.

I think it's perfect the way it was released in 98, with flaws and everything.

I listened to the original release and like it so much i just feel i'll have a ton of trouble listening to any alternative version of it, no matter how good it turns out.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:05 pm 

I had completely forgotten about this. I was actually listening to it the other day, weird coincidence I guess :P

Cruelty is my favourite Cradle of Filth album (along side Dusk), but I don't know it is is because of the production or despite of it. My favourite thing about it is the songwriting, and I'm not sure if "fixing" the production will have an impact on that at all.

NewVogueChild
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:40 am 

There was a post on Facebook on the 5th November:

Quote:
Interview with Cradle producer Scott Atkins and yours ghouly with Amit Sharma for the remixed and remastered forthcoming re-release of the infamous Cruelty And The Beast album.

Phew! What a busy day!!!

jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:48 am 

Somar wrote:
Guess i'm the only one who isn't looking forward to this.

I think it's perfect the way it was released in 98, with flaws and everything.

I listened to the original release and like it so much i just feel i'll have a ton of trouble listening to any alternative version of it, no matter how good it turns out.

I feel the same way. That's the way the album has sounded since I first discovered that band, and that's how I want it to sound.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:31 pm 

I think the production lends itself quite well to the atmosphere the album sets out to create, so yeah, I feel that way too. That and I don't see much point in shelling out cash for an album I already have in my collection. Now, if it includes some rare bonus tracks, then maybe.

"Beneath the Howling Stars" might be my favorite COF song, both musically and lyrically.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:20 pm 

LycanthropeMoon wrote:
I think the production lends itself quite well to the atmosphere the album sets out to create, so yeah, I feel that way too. That and I don't see much point in shelling out cash for an album I already have in my collection. Now, if it includes some rare bonus tracks, then maybe.

"Beneath the Howling Stars" might be my favorite COF song, both musically and lyrically.

The only bonus track on it will be their cover of Iron Maiden's "Hallowed Be Thy Name".

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:58 pm 

I discovered the band with that album in 98 and, while I am well aware how it might have biased my opinion, I never had any problems with the production. I can understand the criticism, but I was never bothered by the drums sound or anything like that. I think the sounds helped created a very fitting atmosphere.

That said, I am curious to hear the remaster. It sure will be interesting to hear it as it was supposedly meant to be.
Fire walk with me"

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:13 pm 

Seems there'll be a few 'Cruelty and the Beast Exclusive Shows' in Europe this year. Not sure if it'll be full album or just a set heavily based round it. It's cleverly titled Lustmord and Tourgasm.

Spoiler: show

Last edited by lordcatfish on Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimbies
Noose Springsteen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:22 pm 

lordcatfish wrote:
Seems there'll be a few 'Cruelty and the Beast Exclusive Shows' in Europe this year. Not sure if it'll be full album or just a set heavily based round it. It's cleverly title Lustmord and Tourgasm.

It must be full album. If it is, I really hope they do Hallowed as an encore.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:56 pm 

jimbies wrote:
lordcatfish wrote:
Seems there'll be a few 'Cruelty and the Beast Exclusive Shows' in Europe this year. Not sure if it'll be full album or just a set heavily based round it. It's cleverly title Lustmord and Tourgasm.

It must be full album. If it is, I really hope they do Hallowed as an encore.

Seems this will be the case going by a recent Instagram post from Dani (the full album, not Hallowed). Think I'm right in saying finally "Lustmord and Wargasm" will be played live.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:32 am 

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/cradle-o ... 36284.html

Full album performance confirmed.

No Hallowed, but the encores are interesting to say the least.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:36 pm 

I wish they'd have brought that to the US. They did play "Bathory Aria" when I caught them last month though, so that was pretty neat. Ingrid Pitt's part was on a backing track, though - I was expecting Lindsay to recite it, but it's fine...might have sounded awkward anyway. Nice to see that "Saffron's Curse" is part of the encore - that was a very pleasant surprise when I saw them. I'm unsure if they've even played that one live until recently.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:34 pm 

So it was a legal issue preventing the remix being released last year. Also confirmation of a live album and plans for the next record.

Quote:
We're going to be re-releasing 'Cruelty [And The Beast]' this year — remixed and remastered, totally from the original tapes. It took us quite a lengthy amount of time. [We] had some legal issues for a bit, so it would have been on the 20th anniversary, which was last year, but it's going to be at some point this year via Sony. We've got a live album in the works, and we're also currently writing toward a successor to 'Cryptioriana'... Obviously, it's a little bit difficult on the road, but I think we've got the beginnings of about four [or] five tracks. Those all sound really good. The studio is destined for early next year, with a release date either before or after the summer, depending on the live album and the reissue of 'Cruelty'. We're going to experiment a little bit, see what happens really. At the moment, it's in its infancy... The autumn will see us fine tune the stuff and finish writing.

Source

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:55 pm 

So much to wait for! Great news, thanks for the update.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:31 pm 

https://amnplify.com.au/portfolio-items ... aRI_t4335Y

So as it turns out, the reason the album’s been held up is because Sony didn’t tell all the band members from that album that the remaster was happening, and one of them is severely objecting to the album’s release.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:37 pm 

Apparently I understand the music industry even less than I thought I did. I was under the impression the record companies own the rights to everything and can do just about anything they want, regardless of the musicians' wishes. Never would have guessed somebody who was in Cradle of Filth 20 years ago could delay the release of a remix for over a year.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:11 pm 

Maybe whatever contract the band had at the time stipulated that any member of the band who performed on each album had right of first refusal on any re-release or remix that'd take place in the future. That's total speculation on my part, though. The only ones who really know the exact deal with everything are Dani and Sony.

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:57 am 

Sony aren't the original label for this release remember.

Im guessing that sony might own the rights to the recording, but not the songs. I wonder which one of Dani's ex's is causing the kerfuffle?

Osore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:36 am 

I guess that everyone involved in the creation of the album hold author's rights. If you compose drums or guitars for a song, or you write a lyrics, or whatever, laws about intellectual property automatically apply to you and you have the rights to decide what can/not be done with your work of art. In this case, several people are credited as co-author's of a single album.

Edit: It appears that I'm right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_law_of_the_United_Kingdom#Authors_and_ownership

Quote:
If more than one person qualifies as an author then a work is one of joint authorship. Under the 1988 Act, a work of joint authorship is a work "produced by the collaboration of two or more authors in which the contribution of each author is not distinct from that of the other author or authors". Where the work is one of joint authorship, the consent of all copyright holder is required to avoid liability for infringement.

~Guest 343918
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:27 am 

It's kind of weird that Dani and Nick Barker are the only active (metal) musicians who played on the record. The obstinate curmudgeon could be any of the remaining four.

This is a major bummer because Cruelty and the Beast is the only CoF album that still holds water in my books even despite its, to put it politely, weird production. I was really looking forward to the remix.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:21 am 

That really sucks. Not only did they not get it out for its 20th anniversary, but they don't even have it out by the time they tour around to promote it? Hopefully it gets resolved eventually. Fans would go crazy knowing it exists, but cannot be released for some legal technicality.

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:27 am 

Losing hope of ever getting to hear this. God fucking damn it, I was so stoked about it.
Orgiastic Pleasures
Rust

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:39 am 

Space_alligator wrote:
Sony aren't the original label for this release remember.

Im guessing that sony might own the rights to the recording, but not the songs. I wonder which one of Dani's ex's is causing the kerfuffle?

Sony does own the recordings since they bought Music for Nations, the label Cruelty originally came out on.

Nokturniis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:47 pm 

Wouldn't be surprised if it's Stuart who's the one that is holding all of this up. There was always that story that Stuart punched Dani in the face and then left the band. Pretty sure they're still not on good terms.

1. Elysian Blaze
2. Nortt
3. Black Magick SS
4. The Ruins Of Beverast
5. Urfaust

Nokturniis (Pure Ghastly Haunting Eerie Dungeon Synth) - https://nokturniis.bandcamp.com/

controlledbleeding
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:50 am 

An interview with Stuart on an Australian radio program about 2 years ago.

https://player.fm/series/andrew-mckaysm ... ed-digital

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:34 am 

Pre-order link:
https://smarturl.it/CrueltyandtheBeast

Full titled is “Cruelty and the Beast - Re-Mistressed”. It comes out on November 1st.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:13 pm 

Yes!!! At last! I'm so elated about this! Thanks for the link! ;) :D

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:39 pm 

Good!

Even if it turns out the sound quality isn't improved that much, I'll probably still buy this as long as the price is reasonable. I do like the similar-but-not-identical cover art.

Ace_Rimmer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:31 pm 

A better drum sound is all it really needs.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:29 am 

The whole thing honestly needed a once over. There's zero low end, so everything just sits in as high a register as possible, rendering the whole thing extremely thin sounding the entire way through. The bass is basically not there except for the obligatory "This is 90s Cradle of Filth, so there are solo bass sections" parts, the keyboards overpower everything except the lead vocals (the backing female vocals sound, as Sarah Deva herself said many years ago, like she has "her head in a toilet"), and the drums legit sound like keys being clicked on an ancient typewriter. It's a total mess, and the only reason it isn't more criticized than it already is is because the songs are basically perfect and it's the signature album from one of the most important black metal bands ever for so many people. If this production was on an album by a lesser band of the era like December Moon or even Hecate Enthroned, it'd just be a footnote in the annals of historically bad album productions. That Cruelty and the fucking Beast is finally gonna sound like a properly produced album is something incredible.

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:43 am 

Very well said. I enjoy bad productions generally, but Cruelty.. has always pushed that predilection near breaking point.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next