Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:40 am 

Yeah that vid came out october 3rd, surprised no mention until now. It sounds perhaps a little excessive in the guitar noodling department but otherwise a great dose of all their great career signatures. Mendonca's singing sounds quite wonky but it was probably a bad night.

Unholy Philosopher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:21 am 

Surprise me too. It's been a month and no one mention this. And yeah, his clean vocals didn't do a lot for me, but I am still excited for their new album. Hope to see more this kind of guitar work and more growls, of course!
Previous link is broken, so I feel free to post the new song again:

And their full set at Bloodstock (which is quite a shame. What the fuck happens with those bass drum? David Gray can't play it anymore or that bass drum is fucked up?)

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:18 pm 

new song "Disappear", and the album by the way is called "Renaissance In Extremis";

NARAKU666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:36 pm 

Sounds less darker and more proggy than the rest of their catalogue but still feel pumped about this album

https://www.facebook.com/KothRising

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:31 pm 

I saw them at MDF, that Bloodstock footage was bad but holy shit, they were perfect at MDF. Absolutely incredible performance, sound, and set list.

As for "Disappear", I love it. It does sound a bit more prog, but that's to be expected after Jason admitted that he felt the band went too far into traditional death metal territory on Antichrist. Nice to hear Jason's death growls, too!

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:24 pm 

Shiiiiiiit yeah, super stoked for this. I don't often pre-order albums but I think I'll put in for the red vinyl. The new song is good, it's not blowing me away, but I also feel like they make the kind of records you can't really get a full impression of based on one song.

blackmantram
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:28 am 

New song Is fucking awesome, I even liked the live version even though Jason's vocals sound wasted, does anyone know if he had health problems during the break up?
Also, this thread reminds me I still don't own Antichrist. shame on me.

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:57 am 

The song ruled as expected.

NARAKU666 wrote:
Sounds less darker and more proggy than the rest of their catalogue but still feel pumped about this album

I guess they did mention they had a new "positive" outlook...they have cut most of the black metal influences a while back now so I wasn't too surprised with the direction

~Guest 323749
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:37 pm 

The new songs are killer! So glad this band is back, it's been a long time coming.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:00 pm 

I've liked the new material i've heard thus far. i'm pleased.

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:41 pm 

Akercocke is one of those bands that I ran into a year or two after I got into metal and were pretty much in constant listening rotation until they went dark. "Words that Go Unspoken, Deeds that Go Undone" is an underrated classic to me when it comes to death metal. I'm happy that I really like what I'm hearing so far. As a fan of their music and lyrics I'm interested to see where their heads are with song titles like "First to Leave the Funeral" and "A Particularly Cold September".
Death metal is eternal.

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:10 am 

Words needs a vinyl release so badly.

If I'm not mistaken, Akercocke is almost out, Voices is done recording, and Antichrist Imperium is recording now. Great time to be an Akercocke fan

Unholy Philosopher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:38 am 

Love this new song (more than Inner Sanctum). It was no surprise their new direction: less black metal and more prog. When Jason said that there's a "positive vibe" in their music, I was already saying "goodbye" for some of influences (specially the satan thing). Another thing that wouldn't surprise me: when they release Renaissance the playlist tour will be totally dedicated to this album.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:57 pm 

I've been letting Disappear sink in. I don't like the intro. It has the same feel to it as the first track from Necrophagist first album. I know many love that album but I always felt it was to mechanical. The next part is to much thrash for my taste. I really do appreciate the last two thirds of the song however. So for me its a little bit of both. I prefer Inner Sanctum though, for sure.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

TheArchivist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:49 am 

Never really dug the latter albums (Words That Go Unspoken, Antichrist) but Goat of Mendes is a definite classic of blackened death metal. Also, Jason Mendonca is a great lyricist; I wish Vincent Crowley of Acheron could be this poetic.

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:21 am 

3 weeks to release, my most anticipated release by far. I'm so tempted to look for a leak but I want to have my first listen be of quality

Auch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:28 am 

Has anyone found a US pre-order or know any US distress that will get the Cd version? All I could find online were UK based stores.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:54 am 

Auch wrote:
Has anyone found a US pre-order or know any US distress that will get the Cd version? All I could find online were UK based stores.

Amazon has it, but I went ahead and ordered via Peaceville because the 3-disc edition looks fucking sexy. Wasn't cheap but god damn it'll be worth every penny...

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:40 pm 

Yeah something like $50 with shipping, I ordered it too from Peaceville but I also ordered the vinyl from Amazon to save at least a few pennies

Auch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:45 pm 

Thanks! I might do the Amazon pre-order. The 3-disc set sounds intriguing and I usually prefer to buy special editions but I kinda already know I won't listen to the bonus material and need to save some money so I think I'll go with one disc haha.

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:39 am 

I think what really drew me to the 3 disc set is the extra book part included

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:53 am 

Interview and full album stream!

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/3 ... e-returned

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:29 pm 

Halfway through the first stream now and it unsurprisingly rules. Disappear as it turns out is one of the least death metal songs, which I was originally worried meant the whole album would be less harsh

Deathstalker1985
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:58 am 

I wonder why Antichrist has a lot more reviews on here than any of their other albums? I certainly don't think its their best album, if anything I figured the album before it was generally regarded as their best. But it has nowhere near the amount of reviews.

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:24 pm 

My guess would be that they had more publicity off of that album than the others, largely thanks to the Ireland controversy. I didn't know them at the time though so I could be wrong.

Charlo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:19 pm 

The new stuff fucking rules as expected. Now they just need to print a t-shirt that doesn't have a girl's butt on it. (if anybody knows where to buy an official Akercocke shirt sans butt, please let me know)

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:17 pm 

Church13 wrote:
Disappear as it turns out is one of the least death metal songs, which I was originally worried meant the whole album would be less harsh

What? Only 3 of the songs (including Disappear) have any element of death metal at all and the entire album is less harsh - I don't even think you could classify this as death metal anymore. And on top of that, Jason barely does any growling on the entire album (or even singing for that matter), it's this strange shouting stuff pretty much the whole way through. That's the most confusing thing for me...in the past, he very rarely ever used that style - it's strange to hear him suddenly start using it as the primary style eclipsing everything else :lol:. Aside from that though, it's a good album (definitely not a "safe" reunion for sure!) but it will require a few more listens once I've adjusted my ears as to what to expect.

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:40 am 

It's not very death metal but there are elements of black metal that were missing or hardly showed up the last couple albums. Yes it's a less harsh album, but I was more worried it would be toned down to the point of some of the Voices songs, all prog and very little metal. RiE is definitely the most progressive album they've done but I think it has a good mix of the 2 and it falls right in line behind Antichrist as far as the path they've been taking. More thoughts later, my morning coffee hasn't kicked in yet and I'm incredibly foggy but I would like to write a review at some point

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:17 pm 

Okay, I see what you're saying. The more I listen, the more I've realized that what they've done is basically focus on the genre-bending side (Verdelet, Axiom, Shelter from the Sand, Leviathan, A Skin for Dancing In, etc.) over the more straight ahead stuff. Unbound by Sin seems to be the only straightforward death-black track on the album.

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:49 pm 

I read somewhere, and I will try to find it, that Scanlan wrote a bunch of songs back in 2007 and had them laying around. Verdelet and Axiom are my favorite songs on their respective albums so I'm happy with that, plus I am a fan of Voices and Antichrist Imperium so Renaissance has been very welcome with me.

xxld1k
The Sweetest Summer Child EVER!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:20 pm 

New album is pretty great and I can echoe all the other comments about it being on their more "progressive" side and not as heavy. I do remember a few parts where they played black metal very well with the production and all. "Unbound by Sin" is the most memorable currently but that's how it is for me on the beginning listens of Akercocke albums; I like the heavier ones at first. Excited to continue playing and hopeful for at least on US show that I would definitely fly/drive to.

https://www.last.fm/user/xxld1k

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:40 pm 

Speaking of black metal, One Chapter Closing For Another to Begin is epic

Church13
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:14 pm 

Ok allow me to gush for a moment. I got my RiE deluxe CD and book in the mail today and it is one of the best pieces of memorabilia I own. I haven't gotten to read too much of it yet but it is quite lengthy and the 1st bonus disc has 5 additional songs recorded from 2017, 3 from 1999/2000 and two covers. If you're a big fan of Akercocke and can spare the money for shipping, this is an awesome collector's piece

EDIT: Ok the 5 bonus tracks are instrumentals and more like ambient than metal :lol: Still the book is totally worth the price

Metallic Shock
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:00 pm 

I've only heard the full thing once so far but FUCK this is a great album. Time will tell but I have a suspicion this might be their strongest and most cohesive album statement on the whole. One of the rare albums that treads new ground and expands on previous sounds for the band without losing the finesse in brutality they always displayed. Definitely a strong AOTY contender for me.

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:35 am 

This album is why I love metal so dearly.

It has everything I want. Big candidate for potential album of the year, time will tell, but early impressions are extremely good. I love the bass in their new album.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2