Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:11 pm 

I'm pleased enough with it. very BT.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:33 am 

Nuclear Blast proudly announces the signing of death metal band Memoriam.
Founded in January 2016 by Karl Willetts (BOLT THROWER) and Frank Healy (BENEDICTION) the band will release their debut album in 2017 via Nuclear Blast Records.

The band commented:
"The war rages on...
It is with great pleasure that Memoriam announces that we have signed a recording contract with Nuclear Blast Records.
Throughout our long careers, 30 years to be precise, within the music industry and specifically within the death metal scene we have witnessed the growth of Nuclear Blast records to become the number one record company within our genre.
When we started MEMORIAM back in January 2016 we intended just to form a band to go into the rehearsal rooms to jam out some cover versions of old classic songs that had influenced us in the past along with some cover versions from the bands we had played with over the years, and maybe eventually do a few low key gigs.
With the introduction of Scott Fairfax into the line up all this changed, Scott has brought with him a wealth of killer riffs and new ideas which has totally changed things around from our original intentions. Very soon we decided to scrap the idea of being a covers band and to formulate our own songs using these riffs and ideas that Scott introduced to us, and from this we developed a whole load of new crushing brutal old school death metal songs which we are very proud of and can’t wait to unleash upon the world!
When we started developing the songs we talked about the possibility of signing to a label and releasing an album, at that point we all decided that if Nuclear Blast approached us we would sign to them. This is because amongst all the labels out there none have a better relationship with the bands on their roster, none communicate better with both the bands and the fans of the music. None care as much about the music and the scene as Nuclear Blast Records.
Nuclear Blast currently boasts the best artist roster of all the labels within the death metal genre, we are proud and honoured amongst this list!
2016 is the year of MEMORIAM.
Let the resistance begin..."

Markus Staiger, CEO of Nuclear Blast, adds:
"Being a lifetime fan of both Benediction and Bolt Thrower, it is with great pride that I announce that the new band of Frank Healy and Karl Willets has now joined the Nuclear Blast family!
Following the first news regarding the band, I have been keeping a close eye on them and was very curious to hear their material.
Besides me, a lot of metal magazines have been in touch with the band even before they had heard a single note of music, while the band has also received many invitations to play several summer festivals. After hearing their first demo songs I was completely sold and knew that I had to get in contact with Frank and Karl to seal the deal. Memoriam will please all the fans of old school death metal and especially the worldwide fan base of Bolt Thrower and Benediction!
With bands like Memoriam, Nuclear Blast remains the no # 1 in extreme metal!!"

MEMORIAM was primarily developed to fill the void that was left following the tragic death of Martin ‘Kiddie’ Kearns, the drummer from BOLT THROWER, back in September 2015. BOLT THROWER subsequently placed all activity on hold for the foreseeable future which gave Karl Willetts an opportunity to develop a new project with friends that had expressed interest in forming a band for some time. MEMORIAM are an Old School Death Metal band, maintaining the standards set by their previous bands, focusing on the themes of death, loss and war. Initially the band members got together to play covers of songs that had influenced them throughout their careers within the Death Metal scene, however it soon became apparent that the new songs that they created were of a superior standard.
The band has a full album of material scheduled for recording during the spring of 2016.

MEMORIAM were formed in January 2016. The band has a substantial and proud Death Metal heritage comprising of:

Karl Willetts - BOLT THROWER | vocals
Frank Healy - BENEDICTION, SACRILEGE | bass
Andy Whale - ex-BOLT THROWER | drums
Scott Fairfax - ex-LIFE DENIED, BENEDICTION (live) | guitars
---
More info:
http://www.memoriam.uk.com
http://www.facebook.com/memoriam2016
http://www.nuclearblast.de/memoriam

"You make it easy."

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:39 am 

The Lions Den wrote:
MEMORIAM was primarily developed to fill the void that was left following the tragic death of Martin ‘Kiddie’ Kearns, the drummer from BOLT THROWER, back in September 2015. BOLT THROWER subsequently placed all activity on hold for the foreseeable future which gave Karl Willetts an opportunity to develop a new project with friends that had expressed interest in forming a band for some time. MEMORIAM are an Old School Death Metal band, maintaining the standards set by their previous bands, focusing on the themes of death, loss and war. Initially the band members got together to play covers of songs that had influenced them throughout their careers within the Death Metal scene, however it soon became apparent that the new songs that they created were of a superior standard.
The band has a full album of material scheduled for recording during the spring of 2016.

MEMORIAM were formed in January 2016. The band has a substantial and proud Death Metal heritage comprising of:

Karl Willetts - BOLT THROWER | vocals
Frank Healy - BENEDICTION, SACRILEGE | bass
Andy Whale - ex-BOLT THROWER | drums
Scott Fairfax - ex-LIFE DENIED, BENEDICTION (live) | guitars
---
More info:
http://www.memoriam.uk.com
http://www.facebook.com/memoriam2016
http://www.nuclearblast.de/memoriam

Thanks!

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:47 am 

Not thrilled with their label choice. NB albums tend to have a very uniform, very sterile production sound. Even Nails latest with Kurt Ballou sounds bad. Will they let Memoriam sound as grim and gritty as it needs to be?

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:09 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:
Sacrilege is essential for any bolt thrower fan. Really like em myself and are an obvious big possibly biggest influence on their sound.

Blasting 'Behind the realms of madness' now after seeing this post and holy fuck, where has this been all my life? :headbang:

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:56 pm 

As good as it is to see everyone involved, I'm actually hoping this isn't just Bolt Thrower Redux. Otherwise, why not just bring Andy back and continue on as is? With Scott taking on this much songwriting and having only a scant connection with Benediction at best, perhaps this will indeed turn out to be something at least slightly different.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

asphaalanx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:52 am 

ModusOperandi wrote:
As good as it is to see everyone involved, I'm actually hoping this isn't just Bolt Thrower Redux. Otherwise, why not just bring Andy back and continue on as is? With Scott taking on this much songwriting and having only a scant connection with Benediction at best, perhaps this will indeed turn out to be something at least slightly different.

From what I'd heard, certain elements in BT were unhappy with Andy's drumming. Even after all this time, and the unfortunate series of events, said elements may favour a different style.

Rainbow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:55 am 

The new band insulates them from criticism. It can't be compared to BT even though it's basically BT.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:55 am 

https://m.soundcloud.com/decibelmagazin ... sion-db071

the king is dead... long live the king (?!)

"You make it easy."

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:03 pm 

asphaalanx wrote:
ModusOperandi wrote:

From what I'd heard, certain elements in BT were unhappy with Andy's drumming. Even after all this time, and the unfortunate series of events, said elements may favour a different style.

From what you've heard? What kind of statement is that? Are you the number one source on metal rumors around here? A trustworthy bringer of metal related gossip whose statements have proven true time and time again? If no, you better bring some trustworthy sources or shut your pie hole.

The Lions Den wrote:
https://m.soundcloud.com/decibelmagazine/memoriam-surrounded-by-death-demo-version-db071

the king is dead... long live the king (?!)

It lacks the trademark melodicism and consistency of Bolt Thrower. It's like Bolt Thrower without lead guitar and the production is a bit too close to Hail of Bullets.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:08 pm 

Yeah, having seen them live I'd say they're like Hail of Bullets ersatz Asphyx. So now we might have an ersatz Bolt Thrower. I dunno, though, it's early days so I reckon this could still end up as something good.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:22 pm 

why wrote:
From what you've heard? What kind of statement is that? Are you the number one source on metal rumors around here? A trustworthy bringer of metal related gossip whose statements have proven true time and time again? If no, you better bring some trustworthy sources or shut your pie hole.

Is there some long running conflict here or are you just lashing out for lashing out's sake?

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:08 pm 

@Why asphaalanx is extremely knowledgeable on underground metal, you can see it on his site profile if you bother to check. Plus we also PM'd concerning a very underground band and he could as well have been one of its members because he had so much information on them. So, the only one who should shut their pie hole here, is you.

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:28 pm 

tahu157 wrote:
why wrote:

Is there some long running conflict here or are you just lashing out for lashing out's sake?

None of these things, actually. Just tired of people throwing dubious information around and some people pick it up as if it were true although it is unsourced. Especially when this information concerns deceased people and their standing in a band before they died after being in the band for many years and no official source indicates anything but mourning on the band's behalf.

Sepulchrave wrote:
@Why asphaalanx is extremely knowledgeable on underground metal, you can see it on his site profile if you bother to check. Plus we also PM'd concerning a very underground band and he could as well have been one of its members because he had so much information on them. So, the only one who should shut their pie hole here, is you.

Of no relevancy.

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:36 pm 

Taking unsourced information on the internet with a grain of salt is internet 101. Everyone knows that. There is absolutely no reason shut people down over a lack of sources.

hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:54 pm 

Memoriam says their new album is done and will be out in March of 2017!

https://www.facebook.com/Memoriam2016/p ... 5762536585

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:54 pm 

Fantastic news!

"You make it easy."

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:46 pm 

Great! I'll be sure to snatch a copy.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:26 pm 

I've been thinking a few weeks ago. I trust Bolt Thrower to have the integrity to never re-unite, but I wouldn't be surprised if the other members of Bolt Thrower did guest appearances at Memoriam shows/on Memoriam albums.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

asphaalanx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:43 am 

why wrote:

I'll give you that. I realise the topic is moot now, but here's what I knew.

I mentioned the possibility of Andy rejoining on another forum, and a friend there (who has implied they have some sort of connection/inside info) basically said that certain members were unhappy with his style, and that'd still likely have been the case.
That's all the info I was given. No names, no date. I can dig up the quote, if you're that interested.

Pie hole shut.

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:28 pm 

asphaalanx wrote:
why wrote:

I'll give you that. I realise the topic is moot now, but here's what I knew.

I mentioned the possibility of Andy rejoining on another forum, and a friend there (who has implied they have some sort of connection/inside info) basically said that certain members were unhappy with his style, and that'd still likely have been the case.
That's all the info I was given. No names, no date. I can dig up the quote, if you're that interested.

Pie hole shut.

I normally don't freak out like that if something metal related is unsourced, the problem was that this whole situation was in relation to a person who died at a young age out of nowhere (which makes it of personal importance to me) PLUS all the evidence of the bands relationship to their drummer points to the exact opposite of what was claimed. The "friend on the internet who claims to have inside information" thing is just not strong enough in this particular case. Digging up the quote would also only make sense if the source was proven legit. In this case I would (albeit without being happy about it, but who cares) accept these claims as true.

Also, I'm sorry for the "shut your pie hole". Not because I didn't mean it, but because of the fact I took it from a movie featuring Adam Sandler. I sometimes feel my English is pieced together from the worst parts of popular culture. Hannah Arendt once said (paraphrased), you can only be truly creative in your mother's tongue and if you forget to speak it your language becomes nothing but a string of clichés. At least the line in the movie was uttered by Jack Nicholson.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:40 pm 

I'm liking what I hear. I've heard some BT songs here & there but I've never really delved deep into their discography. What album would you guys suggest?

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:47 pm 

It's exactly like that. Man I would love to write reviews and posting more interesting shit, I'm confident in how I write in spanish, I read a lot too, but when I try to write in english I feel reduced to a fifteen years old dude.

I would suggest the last one, Those Once Loyal. That would be the definitive Bolt Thrower, that's why they stopped making albums after that.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:42 am 

hmi wrote:
Memoriam says their new album is done and will be out in March of 2017!

https://www.facebook.com/Memoriam2016/p ... 5762536585

Great, cheers :)

oldskool1973
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:29 pm 

Karl just tweeted news about the new album cover/release date!

http://www.sepulchralvoicefanzine.com/2 ... album.html

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:48 pm 

^Amazing cover art, excited for this!

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:49 pm 

The important question here is, Willetsuck?

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:11 pm 

Love the cover, much better than the new Obituary cover! No question that I'll pick this one up! Hopefully Benediction gets a chance to put a new one out this year too...

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:23 pm 

Oh damn, that artwork hits the spot. Like the Warhammer 40K drawings in some of the Bolt Thrower inlays. I am pumped. :hyper:

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:25 pm 

oldskool1973 wrote:
Karl just tweeted news about the new album cover/release date!
http://www.sepulchralvoicefanzine.com/2 ... album.html

Thanks!

Quote:
March 17, 2017.

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:52 pm 

Awesome artwork. Remember reading that they got Dan Seagrave to do it. May try and get it on vinyl if I can.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:46 am 

Thanks for posting, but let be this beast have eye justice...

Spoiler: show

:drool:

"You make it easy."

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:00 am 

that casket has a fairly motörhead vibe to it - is it just me or might that be on purpose?

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:06 am 

The Lions Den wrote:
Thanks for posting, but let be this beast have eye justice...

Much better, thanks!
Anyway, I was looking for info yesterday with no luck.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:12 pm 

That's one awesome cover. I hope the music lives up to the expectations.

Re: the pie hole shutting from earlier posts, I think there's an honest misunderstanding, the "rumor" was about Andy Whale, the ex-Bolt Thrower drummer of old and current Memoriam drummer, not Martin Kearns, the unfortunate BT drummer who died in 2015. It was Andy Whale who supposedly some BT elements were not happy with his drumming, not Martin. So, obviously there is no disrespect meant to a dead person, nor an attempt to distort the truth about what BT felt for their last drummer.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:43 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
Re: the pie hole shutting from earlier posts, I think there's an honest misunderstanding, the "rumor" was about Andy Whale, the ex-Bolt Thrower drummer of old and current Memoriam drummer, not Martin Kearns, the unfortunate BT drummer who died in 2015. It was Andy Whale who supposedly some BT elements were not happy with his drumming, not Martin. So, obviously there is no disrespect meant to a dead person, nor an attempt to distort the truth about what BT felt for their last drummer.

Indeed. I apologize to asphaalanx and thank you for clearing it up. It's still unsourced and all, but it's not a big problem this way, because I really thought he was talking about Martin here, which was the reason for my harsh reaction.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:54 am 

New song "Reduced to Zero"

Riffs sound great. Really like the guitar tone. Willets sounds pretty weak but he's low enough in the mix where it's pretty much whatever.

And yeah that cover art bangin

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:28 am 

Have given this a couple listens. The music sounds awesome, and not too overproduced (which was my biggest fear given that it is on Nuclear Blast).

But I agree that Karl's voice sounds kinda flat and thin. Might be that age has finally caught up to his throat. Or maybe he purposefully altered his style, in which case it wasn't the best decision.

Not a dealbreaker and I still dig the tune and look forward to the album.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:17 am 

The music is really cool, very promising. But yeah, it sounds like Karl's voice is completely shot. I'll still definitely buy the album and maybe it'll grow on me over time.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:39 am 

Sounds alright but I'm sceptical until I hear the full blown album, though it's nice to see three legends working together. The "new guy", yeah not too sure about him in terms of writing stuff.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next