Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:43 pm 

aloof wrote:

They must have followed this thread and thought "we can do worse!"

splyu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:32 pm 

MorbidEngel wrote:
If they picked a better font than the kind of one you'd see in mid-90's CGI stuff, it would be a lot better. It makes the л look like a small Greek Lambda too, while the й looks like a u.

The latter is standard for italic cyrillic fonts though, and the former is at least very common.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:12 pm 

Metal Shark wrote:
Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Saw this gloriously low res masterpiece while looking through today's reviews.
Spoiler: show

Looks like part of a Monty Python skit! :lol:

Except that Monty Python is usually funny. What the hell is a "Dungeon Wolf" anyway? That makes about as much sense as "Falcon Hoof".

Auch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:10 am 

Master of Disguise was already in here. I recognized it immediately. https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/S ... guise/4720

There's just so much going on in that photo. Why does it say "Relciak???"

Endarkening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:05 am 

As Atrocity's music worsened, so too did their album art. Naturally this pile of garbage was released by Napalm.

King_of_Arnor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:47 am 

Auch wrote:
Master of Disguise was already in here. I recognized it immediately. https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/S ... guise/4720

There's just so much going on in that photo. Why does it say "Relciak???"

I guess that might be the pseudonym of the artist who made the cover? Normally it shouldn't be that prominent on an album cover, but there it's as big as all the other text.

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:48 am 

OK, I DO like the hot woman in armor, but the rest DOES look like shit.

Is she going to KILL the guy in front of her? Why is she sitting down? What's with the roses, coins, and glass of wine?

Are the coins a reference to the "Thirty Pieces of Silver"/Judas story? And, of so, what does that have to do with a bunch of Knights?

Last edited by Metal Shark on Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:49 am 

CreepingDeath16 wrote:
Metal Shark wrote:
Lord_Of_Diamonds wrote:
Saw this gloriously low res masterpiece while looking through today's reviews.

Looks like part of a Monty Python skit! :lol:

Except that Monty Python is usually funny. What the hell is a "Dungeon Wolf" anyway? That makes about as much sense as "Falcon Hoof".

True!

He looks more like a "Dungeon Bear", anyway.

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:53 am 

Endarkening wrote:
As Atrocity's music worsened, so too did their album art. Naturally this pile of garbage was released by Napalm.

"If it's a Hot Woman on a CD cover for no reason, it must be Napalm!"

AWinterShadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:27 am 

Metal Shark wrote:
Endarkening wrote:
[This post contains hidden content. Quote to reveal it.]

"If it's a Hot Woman on a CD cover for no reason, it must be Napalm!"

Unless I'm mistaken, that's Dita Von Teese, who was Marilyn Manson's wife for a time. Regardless of who she married though, she was a pretty prolific gothic cheesecake model and having her on a cover of an album comprised of pop cover tunes with a gothic twist....is actually pretty on target I think.

I actually have this album, although when I picked it up I was actually looking for Blut or Hallucinations, but could find neither, just that one. It's not a bad album, but it's not the death metal I was looking for.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:07 am 

Putting hot women who have nothing to do with the artist on album covers is a trend that took off in the 1950s. Based on my RateYourMusic ratings, it's rare for it to coincide with music I consider great.

AWinterShadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:29 am 

DeadKid wrote:
Putting hot women who have nothing to do with the artist on album covers is a trend that took off in the 1950s. Based on my RateYourMusic ratings, it's rare for it to coincide with music I consider great.

Why does the cover have to relate to the artist? Can't it relate to the content of the music? Why can't an album with songs about sex and women have a sexy woman on the cover?

There's nothing that say you have to have the cover relate to one thing or another. Unless you want to complain about Pink Floyd's "Atom Heart Mother" not being about the band? Or the Content? And while Motley Crue could have put a hot woman on the cover of "Girls, Girls, Girls", they did just fine without.

Because if that is your only qualifier, you can't complain about The Red Hot Chilli Peppers "Abbey Road" EP. You know, the one where they recreate the Beatle's iconic cover....but only while wearing a single tube sock each? That's a 'sexy' cover that has everything to do with the artists!

And claiming this took off in the 50's is a straw man argument. Before 1948 the 'album' as we know it now, simply didn't exist yet. So based on your conjecture, we can just simplify things by saying putting hot women on album has existed ever since it was possible to put a hot woman on an album.

Getting back to the topic though, putting something sexy on the cover of the album can be part of an artists vision, some sleazy record execs attempt to do a bait and switch or just try to game a few extra sales, but that doesn't mean it fits the topic unless it's a serious "Bad, Ugly or WTF?" and the qualifier 'sexy' tends to negate the application of the first two of those unless it's so far outside the norm as to be a "WTF?!".

So something like Atrocity's two "Werk" albums, don't count. The cover does reflect the content and the models are in no way bad or ugly. Nor does it count as offtopic or extreme enough to be a WTF?! The Scorpion's "Virgin Killer" or the Red Hot Chilli Peppers "Abbery Road" EP both however are outside the usual bounds of public taste and do more or less qualify as "WTF?!" even if they aren't exactly BAD or UGLY. Jane's Addiction's "Ritual De Lo Habitual" (The original cover) would also meet that definition.

Some argument could be made for something like the Chilli Pepper's "Mother's Milk" album, but I think that's so mild that it doesn't really qualify in s reasonable persons view. (Although I'm not going to say there aren't a ton of unreasonable people out there, the PMRC's existence is good enough proof of that.)

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:57 am 

AWinterShadow wrote:
Why does the cover have to relate to the artist?

It doesn't. I was just making observations in response to the crack about it having to be from Napalm Records. When they first started printing picture sleeves with people on them, there weren't many albums, sure, but for a significant amount of time the people pictured were almost exclusively the artists themselves. That's all I was referring to.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:34 am 

Savage Circus - Of Doom and Death

The three elements (logo, title and picture) do not fit together at all. Plus the picture itself is fugly as uck.

AWinterShadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:29 pm 

DeadKid wrote:
AWinterShadow wrote:
Why does the cover have to relate to the artist?

It doesn't. I was just making observations in response to the crack about it having to be from Napalm Records. When they first started printing picture sleeves with people on them, there weren't many albums, sure, but for a significant amount of time the people pictured were almost exclusively the artists themselves. That's all I was referring to.

Wow, that went over my head like a Chinese weather balloon....I can't say I ever really noticed that trend myself. Although I pretty much started with cassettes and went to CD's and bypassed Vinyl entirley other than a couple of 45's very early on. So if these picture sleeves were on LP's I wouldn't have payed attention to them at all.

...the only LP's I payed attention to were the classic Iron Maiden covers. And that was mainly for the incredible artwork for the albums "Number of the Beast" through "Fear Of the Dark". Once they strayed from the drawn artwork, I thought the quality dropped off and the covers got mostly boring.

AWinterShadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:34 pm 

Lane wrote:
Savage Circus - Of Doom and Death

The three elements (logo, title and picture) do not fit together at all. Plus the picture itself is fugly as uck.

Yeah, looks like the 90's horrible CGI making yet another unwelcome appearance. I never understood how anyone ever like this type of artwork. It was just as bad then as it is now.

3D video games had some value at the time, but even that looked barely tolerable at the time. (Like the original Resident Evil for example.) 3D in games had more value due to being a 3D game field/play space. It surely wasn't because it looked good. Even the best wasn't that great. (Thinking of the original X-Wing, which really was very minimal in graphics, but the 3d flight was a blast to play.)

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:27 pm 

it's barely even ART, much less COVER ART! :lol:

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:01 am 

Low-hanging fruit, but I like that this one is in the Archives:

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:11 pm 

DeadKid wrote:

:lol:

Slater922
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:30 am 

Metal Shark wrote:

I guess they're going for a retro arcade style, but the execution ended up looking cheesy.

DeadKid wrote:

Another gold cover! :lol:

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:32 am 

Metal Shark wrote:

What, video games are not art, you say? It's definitely an unusual cover especially over 40 years later, but this kind of stuff was high-tech in 1981 and it's not lazily done. Looks like the "logo" and album title are actually on the same screen as the Space Invader-esque game instead of being superimposed onto the image in post. The only thing that sticks out IMO, is the red aeroplane, although it makes sense (Barón Rojo, Red Baron).

RainyTheBusinessPerson
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:28 pm 

I honestly like the video game artwork, it even looks accurate to games of the era (which is definitely a compliment, considering how rare accurate depiction of games can be, especially ones with pixel art, they even got the scanlines right). It wouldn't look out of place between screenshots of other games of the time.
The pit. You know me. I'll be down front tossin' vagina boys like midgets.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:56 pm 

At least it looks a lot better than the Red Baron game from 1978!

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:04 am 

CreepingDeath16 wrote:
Metal Shark wrote:

What, video games are not art, you say? It's definitely an unusual cover especially over 40 years later, but this kind of stuff was high-tech in 1981 and it's not lazily done. Looks like the "logo" and album title are actually on the same screen as the Space Invader-esque game instead of being superimposed onto the image in post. The only thing that sticks out IMO, is the red aeroplane, although it makes sense (Barón Rojo, Red Baron).

Video games ARE art, but THAT looks like a poorly done crosstitch!

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:05 am 

DeadKid wrote:
At least it looks a lot better than the Red Baron game from 1978!

Agreed! But BARELY. :lol:

wone21r
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:30 am 

OK so it's far from being an atrocity, but I always struggled to understand the cover to Sorrow and Extinction. It wasn't until I got it on record that I figured out what it was, but then it just made even less sense. The figure is opening his robe to reveal...the night sky behind the robe, which then continues from the background into the foreground and in front of the planets surface. And also that same night sky is also where the face should be, so the robe has no back?

I get the whole "revealing a hidden door" thing, but the rest of it just gives me a headache lol

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/P ... ion/325211

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:09 am 

wone21r wrote:
OK so it's far from being an atrocity, but I always struggled to understand the cover to Sorrow and Extinction. It wasn't until I got it on record that I figured out what it was, but then it just made even less sense. The figure is opening his robe to reveal...the night sky behind the robe, which then continues from the background into the foreground and in front of the planets surface. And also that same night sky is also where the face should be, so the robe has no back?

I get the whole "revealing a hidden door" thing, but the rest of it just gives me a headache lol

https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/P ... ion/325211

That would have made a better cover for a paperback fantasy novel!

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:56 am 

Metal Shark wrote:
Video games ARE art, but THAT looks like a poorly done crosstitch!

That's what video games used to look like if you took a photo of the screen.

That Pallbearer cover is awesome. I only disagree with the font choice and the placement of the text.

CreepingDeath16
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:19 am 

The worst thing about this is the band name, which gives me an aneurysm: Twilight WarBathöry

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:51 pm 

My Dying Bride - Trinity (US CD Edition)

A pretty hideous and somewhat lazy idea of putting the band's three EP covers over the grave shapes, and most of them don't even fit and show the whole image so it just doesn't work. The American flag is even more of a bizarre choice, since the band is from the UK. Maybe it was on the original photograph and they didn't want to take it out, but it almost looks added on.

The only thing I like about it is the band logo, which didn't make an appearance on the more common cover art for this compilation.

abyss696
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:21 am 

Metal Shark wrote:

This cover is from an album released in 1981, videogames looked like this for god sake!

SluseTheInventor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:03 pm 

RainyTheBusinessPerson wrote:

I don't even know what to say, I can't even describe this, but it's so fucking funny to me.

Replying to say that this album actually rules alot

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:59 pm 

abyss696 wrote:
Metal Shark wrote:

This cover is from an album released in 1981, videogames looked like this for god sake!

I actually really love this cover. it's charming as fuck, and quirky.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:25 pm 

doomicus wrote:
abyss696 wrote:
Metal Shark wrote:

I actually really love this cover. it's charming as fuck, and quirky.

I don't mind it either - If I came across this at a record fair at a decent price, I'd probably even pick it up on whim lol

Endarkening
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:53 pm 

I love Lugubrum. Especially the Barditus era stuff. But this album's art is so weak compared to their other ones.

DanielG06
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:55 pm 

What the fuck is this... [NSFW - Nudity]

Lee Harrison wrote:
Evolution is call evolution I doubt that Oystein Aarseth wasn’t stab at death he was thinking the same bullshit of ‘90…

The sound of perseverance didn’t even came out under the name of Death….

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:04 pm 

Wow, a cover as crass, tasteless and terrible as the musician's beliefs!

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:07 pm 

Puppets are NEVER good cover art.

Notice how Master of Puppets features NO ACTUAL PUPPETS? Learn from Metallica, folks.

Metal Shark
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:08 pm 

Endarkening wrote:
I love Lugubrum. Especially the Barditus era stuff. But this album's art is so weak compared to their other ones.

"What the fuck is that?"

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:09 pm 

DanielG06 wrote:
What the fuck is this... [NSFW - Nudity]

This fucking guy loves himself.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96  Next