Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:54 am 

^ I remember Gary saying something to that effect on the band's message board a while back but if this link is anything to go by, and I doubt the label would have incorrect information just over a month away from release, perhaps he just got a case of riff-itis and kept building on what was already there.

http://www.nuclearblast.de/en/products/ ... d-out.html

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:58 pm 

Well I suppose he wasn't technically wrong, it's just that there are several 6-minute songs.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:27 am 

New song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMs9yNlBp4c#t=260

sounds exactly like everything since Tempo

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:37 am 

Wow how many times have they used that note progression or some permutation of it?

Man, that still rules. Another Tempo is fine with me! Damn!

Spoiler: show
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:07 pm 

Yeah, sounds like a song from Tempo. But that's OK, because Tempo is my favorite. I really dig it.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:21 pm 

I'm glad so far a lot of people are diggin' it. I thought this track was pretty kickass myself too; Zetro sounds great with the band again, though Kirk's little noodling stands out like a sore thumb. If this does end up "Tempo of the Damned, Part II", I won't be complaining!

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:24 pm 

Enjoyed it. It does sound like Tempo 2, but that's okay-- that album was excellent (aside from a couple/few songs originally from that other project). Zetro sounds venomous.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

rafa_hell
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:38 pm 

Really ? I thought it was pretty boring. I thought it sounded a lot like the new Overkill, production and songwriting wise. I hope the rest is better than this, really.

Exigence

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:54 pm 

Sounds like Tempo! Gotta love that crispy, clean production.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:39 pm 

Pretty solid, definitely similar in presentation to Tempo though it seems like the vocals have a little less character than they did before. Either way, I'm hoping for great things.

Motorpriest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:05 am 

I found the song boring; the riffs were bland and unimaginative. I do like hearing Zetro again, but that won't be enough to get me to buy it if all the tunes are that half assed.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:10 am 

I don't think its much different from anything recent by the band. I do prefer Zetros vocals but its not like it makes the track great either. To me it sounds tired - more of the same basically. Not bad, just meh...
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

TheIbexMoon666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:39 am 

I wish they didn't kick Dukes out. His voice just fits better with their modern sound. Zetro is phenomenal, don't get me wrong. However I think his voice is better suited for their older stuff wich he's already featured on. Either way I have high hopes for this record. I love Tempo of the Damned just as much as the Dukes albums to fallow. I don't care what any one says, their most resent material (from Tempo onward) is the best work Exodus have ever done. It's like they Finally realized their full potential after all these years. With the exception of Bonded By Blood of course.

It's interesting Gary Holt keeps talking about how fast this record is but the first single is this mid paced toxic waltz'ish song. I like it though.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:55 am 

TheIbexMoon666 wrote:
I wish they didn't kick Dukes out. His voice just fits better with their modern sound. Zetro is phenomenal, don't get me wrong. However I think his voice is better suited for their older stuff wich he's already featured on. Either way I have high hopes for this record. I love Tempo of the Damned just as much as the Dukes albums to fallow. I don't care what any one says, their most resent material (from Tempo onward) is the best work Exodus have ever done. It's like they Finally realized their full potential after all these years. With the exception of Bonded By Blood of course.

It's interesting Gary Holt keeps talking about how fast this record is but the first single is this mid paced toxic waltz'ish song. I like it though.

They did pretty much the exact same thing last time. They kept talking about how fast it was and Hunting said he couldn't see them going faster without starting to use blast beats, and then the first song we heard was Hammer and Life, a mid-paced tune.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:49 am 

Love the new song! Very excited now!

LegendMaker
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:56 am 

Yeah... Yet another subpar variation on the "Toxic Waltz"/"Objection Overruled" theme, so indeed, just like everything from 'Tempo of the Damned' on. Zetro's vocals are pretty cool, the production fits and it's an okay performance overall (bar the wahwah blur in the middle - is that really Kirk Hammett's guest solo? man, does he need to put his guitar back in its case already...). But it's still pretty bland and overlong even clocking in at under 5 minutes, which is "short" in their minds. I actually stopped listening around the 4'15'' mark, when the boring autopilot-Holt riff started yet fucking again.

There isn't much to expect from Exodus but solid live performances of their actually good and original songs, by now. That is to say the first four albums only.

metaller92
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:07 pm 

I listened track from this album. It's not old school Exodus and thrash metal. So I would read this album, but I don't think that this album will hook me.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:43 pm 

metaller92 wrote:
I listened track from this album. It's not old school Exodus and thrash metal. So I would read this album, but I don't think that this album will hook me.

Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

putrenista
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:44 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
metaller92 wrote:

Last edited by putrenista on 18 Sep 2014 22:44, edited 1 time in total.
Quote:
User was warned for this post.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:51 am 

haha man, if only that had said 'trash metal' it woulda been perfect spang-/russlish.

just listened to this new song and yeah, more new exodus. not too much more to be said. to their credit, there's still a snippet of that sound that they had in the late 80s, but it's really just an older band going through the motions. zetro still sounds good, though.

Metal_Jaw
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:37 pm 

New song: the title track...

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6259236/exclusive-exodus-blood-in-blood-out

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:43 pm 

Wow, really trying to resurrect the Toxic Waltz vibe there. Fuck this rules though! Better than the other track.

Last.fm

Mojo Bundy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:34 pm 

Definitely a way better song than the first one. Instrumental bridge in the middle goes a little over-melodic, but the rest is pretty tight and no frills.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:48 pm 

That middle was the best part. Really solid riff and soloing (then faltered, then became good again when it got "a little over-melodic"). Everything else reminded me of Suicidal Tendencies' "Disco's Out, Murder's In".
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:53 pm 

I think they could have extended the melodic part after the solos a little further; one of the positives of Exodus around Impact/Force of Habit that people neglect is that they really expanded the harmony bits, piling on one new melody after the next. This one had a nice build-up, but it began after the leads so it kind of felt like a false climax. Anyways, solid song regardless.

Exigence

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:20 pm 

Amazing when bands can just say "Ok, let's do a classic album" and they knock it out, no problem. Fucking Zetro + Exodus is what this kind of music was always supposed to sound like.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:29 pm 

Shitty guitar tone is still fucking shitty.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:21 am 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
I think they could have extended the melodic part after the solos a little further; one of the positives of Exodus around Impact/Force of Habit that people neglect is that they really expanded the harmony bits, piling on one new melody after the next. This one had a nice build-up, but it began after the leads so it kind of felt like a false climax. Anyways, solid song regardless.

Right on. The solo trade-off and melodic bridge of Forward March, off Tempo.. is one of the most accomplished thrash metal lead sections ever. Great feel, impeccable technique, and still drives the moshpit along.

~Guest 268919
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:41 am 

Diamhea wrote:
Wow, really trying to resurrect the Toxic Waltz vibe there. Fuck this rules though! Better than the other track.

Yeah I agree with the Toxic Waltz vibe. The "Blood in, blood out" gang vocals part especially. This song is great though.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:24 am 

Metal_Jaw wrote:

Fucking love it! Can't wait to pick this up!

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:07 am 

I liked it a lot. It's mean, it's dirty, it's fast and has a hint of melody. That's good thrash right there. And it' getting a huge push too. I hope the whole album has this energy.

Like your reviews?

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:55 am 

I haven't played any songs, not a fan of that album cover at all, Dukes was fine but Souza 'sounds right'.
I'll probably wait till this has been out a few months then pick it up for $5 from someone who hated it, stick it in my Exodus collection and forget about it.
When I want to hear Exodus I'll play pleasures of the flesh, the newer stuff Exhibit A and B is waaaaaaaay too long and 'complex' for me
Hopefully this new one isn't too fast or long...

Sorry I meant "new Exodus woo hoo!" :p

Exigence

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:21 pm 

Pay for an album you have no interest in ever listening to? To be a completist? Ugh.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:25 pm 

Yeah, collecting stuff, how douchey. Hobbies are so 2012.

Going against the grain here by saying both songs were pretty average and boring. Better than the Dukes stuff but still pretty predictable and dull.

Obligatory Last FM Link

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:31 pm 

Exigence wrote:
Pay for an album you have no interest in ever listening to? To be a completist? Ugh.

I haven't heard it yet though, it may be totally awesome :nods:

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:47 pm 

It really is a killer song and should have been the first they showcased for the album. I'm pretty confident this will be what they're filming a new video for.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:41 pm 

Expecting absolutely nothing out of it since the riffing backbone of the band had gone spectacularly downhill from Tempo of the Damned (though that one had its share of duds....most notable one being Shroud of Urine). When I think about it, it's actually baffling, the way riff construction changed from that one to Shovel (not even fit for snow in my book).

putrenista
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:41 am 

A lot better than the first song they released. I actually listened to the title track last night and I think I must've been distracted 'cause it just went in one ear and out the other. I don't know where I was, because when I listened to it again today it was a world of difference. Awesome song, as classic Exodus as you can get. Totally psyched for the new album now.

And in response to the last post, I think "Shovel" is a pretty good record. Definitely worth giving another chance. Though I enjoy it less so than "Tempo," just as I couldn't really get into the last Testament album, despite really liking "Formation" when it first came out.

thrashinbatman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:12 pm 

Shovel in my opinion is a great record. Not on the level of Tempo, but still really good.

Anyway, this song is crazy good. This one is shaping up to be the best of the post-2000 Exodus albums.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:15 pm 

I liked the new, title song as well. That's using the resources at their disposal in an economic way (the difference between the compact punch of this one and those bloated monster snooze-fests found on previous albums is really obvious). Though, I can't say my expectations are really high; I'd be content with this approach utilized to the maximum, and in combination with some more interesting and dynamic mid tempo grooves and hooks.

And as far as Shovel goes, I can't say it's a bad album. I mean, in some way it is since it bores me, and has since it was released. I also think the difference in riffs between Tempo and that one is quite big as Shovel tended to go all out on them big fat grooves even when played faster and over a raging drum beat (with the obligatory one note palm mutes of course, and nothing special there either). But it's not the groove per se that's problematic. It's the bland nature of it, especially when combined with poor songwriting (I could reiterate here what I wrote above, better is shorter and more compact - oh I guess I just did reiterate it).

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next