Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:53 am 

Anyone know if Xy actually played drums on this album or just used a more realistic set of samples and/or drum programme? I can't tell.
Great album regardless. One dimensional, but great.

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:38 am 

As far as I'm aware this was the last Samael recording with real drums. I've got no proof to back it up though.

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:13 am 

It's hard to tell as he's always programmed the drums in a very similar style to how he plays. As said, maybe he just used more realistic samples.

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:21 am 

Both, legend says. Xy played some parts and programmed others using the same sound library. Some fills sound a bit programmed like in Under One flag pre chorus. I guess at least the kick drums and most of fills have been all programmed since Passage. Lux Mundi also sounds like this, maybe he recorded the same thing he plays live, only snare, a couple of toms and cymbals. The fills are a bit repetitive if you listen closely like in Antigod.

About the samples maybe he records his own. For him it should be easy and it'll pass unnoticed when he combines both played and written patterns.

He's way more accomplished on piano and keys nowadays tho.

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:20 am 

Yeah, true about the fills and also his more substantial piano/keys abilities. Always liked his drumming style though. His work on Ceremony and Rebellion is tops. Tight and simplistic but really varied and tasteful.

rexxz wrote:

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:23 pm 

androdion wrote:
As far as I'm aware this was the last Samael recording with real drums. I've got no proof to back it up though.

I'm officially smacking myself in the head because I totally misread the album being discussed... :durr: That's what I get for posting after spending 11 hours in bed!

Anyway, and to add something to this thread, ever since Rebellion came out that the drums have been programmed. To what extent, who knows. But as far as I know (this time for real) Xy hasn't played real drums since Ceremony.

TheLastSucker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:02 pm 

As other have already said, I think it's both. It may sound more like it's all real drums but that's because of the album's more natural and raw sounding tone compared to everything they did after CoO.

Anyhow, I absolutely adore his mechanical style. Can't wait to see what the new album will be like.

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:45 am 

androdion wrote:
androdion wrote:

I'm officially smacking myself in the head because I totally misread the album being discussed... :durr: That's what I get for posting after spending 11 hours in bed!

Yeah, I did think that was an odd comment haha.

TheLastSucker wrote:

Anyhow, I absolutely adore his mechanical style. Can't wait to see what the new album will be like.

Agreed. I don't think Samael are capable of putting out a bad album

rexxz wrote:

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:19 am 

Didn't even know they were preparing a new album. Guess there's another one to wait for this year. :nods:

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:59 am 

Seconding the new album hype. Lux Mundi was absolutely glorious; one of the few cases where a band deliberately mimicked their old style and *actually pulled it off.* Passage is maybe a touch better, but we're talking 2 or 3 percentage points here. Can't wait to hear what they do next.

mark of the devil
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:46 am 

They have been using programmed drums since the Rebellion EP. I thought this was common knowledge. I wish they would go back to live drums. Xy had such a unique style and it fit perfectly with the music.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:08 pm 

Damn, I really miss his drumming, too. I happen to think the performance on Blood Ritual is particularly brilliant. Wish I had nice things to say about their more electronic side/sound but I just don't...guess it really isn't for me, although Passage does have its moments.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:00 pm 

True that post-Ceremony stuff has a more clinical and mechanical approach to drumming, as opposed to the more fluid and natural style when Xy played his drum kit. Still, I can't complain about it since Xy probably programs drums better than anyone else out there.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:38 am 

androdion wrote:
True that post-Ceremony stuff has a more clinical and mechanical approach to drumming, as opposed to the more fluid and natural style when Xy played his drum kit. Still, I can't complain about it since Xy probably programs drums better than anyone else out there.

Yep, they have a great sound and Above was a fucking great album. Too bad that they only played one song when I saw them. :(

Reply to topic