Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ludorff
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:45 pm 

Hi, I am curious to know what you guys are doing when you want to own a copy of an old classic? Let's say something like Mercyful Fate's Don't Break The Oath, early Sodom albums, stuff like that. Sometimes I just don't get why these awesome albums have so bad distribution! I'm not aware of any recent vinyl pressings of those two exemples, and even CDs are hard to find. Most of them seems to be 2000s re-issues with remastered sound, wich you never know if it's worse than the original recording or not... If radom digital files is not your option, how do you listen to the old stuff?

At least, Manilla Road fans have several new pressings to listen to on vinyl.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:04 am 

Usually if a remastered album sounds very different from the original, you can go on youtube and hear a comparison. Ive had some of the older Roadrunner remasters and they really weren't that different. The noticable one's to me are Death's, which almost have a remixed sound, though not nearly like Megadeths.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:30 am 

I get vinyl - original or reissue - if I can, CD if I can't. I used to be a big-time downloader but now I only d/l stuff that isn't available/affordable otherwise. There is something to be said for having an album in physical form, and it's not just sound quality. I've only started rebuilding my physical collection in the last couple years, and I've been collecting vinyl for a matter of months, so I don't have a very big collection - probably 75-80 CD's and about 35 records at the moment.

As far as remastering, I don't think about it too much. I've never been very picky about that sort of thing.

burning_pyre
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:28 am 

Second hand record stores are great if you have any local. I have about 3 near to me withing a 20 minute journey, memory lane records and 101 records being the most prolific in Croydon. Get some great stuff in there 12" originals of merciful fate, Nazareth, rainbow, Sabbath, budgie, motorhead etc. They have a U.K first pressing picture disc of master of puppets in there without bar-code for 50 GBP, as well as a shaped picture disc of jump in the fire. Really cool places to pick up old wonders :D

Venom, destructor, death angel have been seen in there recently too :D

Custom Original artwork/ Logo/ layout designs for bands/ labels etc. Message me on here of my page if interested...

doomicus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:59 am 

Yeah, I'll go to second hand record shops and the like. Also trading with other people works quite well. Never really have had a hard time finding things like this though, in general.

Reply to topic